No announcement yet.

Cowboys 2008 Draft Grades

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is scary seeing Bill Parcells draft. Every single decision makes sense and it 100% consistent with what he wants both in terms of personnel strategy, fit to schemes and player character.

Parcells is Amadeus Mozart and Jones is that Italian moron.

Comment

Originally posted by bobindallas View Post
      It is scary seeing Bill Parcells draft. Every single decision makes sense and it 100% consistent with what he wants both in terms of personnel strategy, fit to schemes and player character.

Become a dolphins fan then.

Bobby Carpenter, Anthony Fasano, Skyler Green, Montavious Stanley, E.J Whitley, Justin Beriault, Julius Jones, Jacob Rogers, Stephen Peterman, Bruce Thornton, Sean Ryan, Nate Jones, Jacques Reeves, Al Johnson, BJ Tucker, Zuriel Smith.

All guys that were drafted by Parcells in the four drafts he did, that have done absolutely jack squat for the team.

He's not necessarily Mozart once you notice that the only pick remaining on the team from the 04 draft was 6th rounder Patrick Crayton.

I don't know if that makes up for butchering the rest of the draft.

Three in 03, One in 04, five in 05, and four in 06.

We have 13 players left from four drafts. Take that as you wish

Comment

I'd give you guys a C-. Take Mendenhall over Jones and that bumps up to a solid B.

The trade up for Jenkins was a little bit of a reach. There was good value going to be at 28 with him or Cason.

I think the Choice pick was a wasted pick. Barber won't hold out and no one is gonna pay over the top for him either.

2011 FA: FS - OJ Atogwe
        2011 Draft Picks: Ryan Kerrigan-OLB-Purdue, Jarvis Jenkins-DE-Clemson, Leonard Hankerson-WR-Miami, Roy Helu-RB-Nebraska, DeJon Gomes-CB/S-Nebraska, Niles Paul-WR-Nebraska, Evan Royster-RB-Penn State, Aldrick Robinson-WR-SMU, Brandyn Thompson-CB-Boise State, Maurice Hurt-OG-Florida, Markus White-OLB-Florida State, Chris Neild-NT-West Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by toddmlazarchick View Post
          I'd give you guys a C-. Take Mendenhall over Jones and that bumps up to a solid B.

The trade up for Jenkins was a little bit of a reach. There was good value going to be at 28 with him or Cason.

I think the Choice pick was a wasted pick. Barber won't hold out and no one is gonna pay over the top for him either.
          LOL, Jenkins at 25 was a reach?!

You're insane. If we would have taken him at 22 i would have yelled that it was about time. He's a top 15 talent, but everyone decided to stock up on linemen, which allowed him to fall a bit.

If we had let one more pick go by, Houston would have gobbled him up.

Comment

Stick with grading your own team, because you obviously have little knowledge of the Cowboys.

Comment

Dallas comes away with a 2 RB's (one with KR ability), 2 CB's, A pass catching TE, a practice squad OLB in 2008 and three picks in the 2009(3rd/4th/6th). That is a solid B+. If we got a WR and a higher pick in 09 we would be looking at an A. Jerry work with the staff to put together a solid draft that will pay dividends this season!

Comment

Parcells is Mozart except when it comes to selecting offensive lineman. He can coach them, sure. But I don't buy that he's got the best eye for evaluating OL talent.

Here is the difference between Parcells and Jerry. Parcells will go with his true and tested forumula every single time. He will not stray from it one inch. If the direction goes that way, he doesn't want to be associated with it. ie. TO coming to Dallas. He acts the way old guys typically act. They don't like change. They like knowing how things work and when it's working, they don't want to mess with it. Parcells has a philosophy and he'll always play safe and feel safe by following it.

Jerry is the forever adapting, forever changing risk taker. He'll go for the gusto. If he swings and misses, it doesn't bother him. He wants to hit the home run. Mistakes are an accepted result. He'll try to learn from it and move on. There is no one written formula that works for him. There is no rules which will tell him what to do or how to act. He'll take a little from here, a little from there, see what he likes and puts his own little tweak to it. That way he can call it his in the end. There is no method to follow. He'll fly by the seat of his pants.

Which is the better method? Playing safe doesn't alway equal ultimate success. It will increase your chances of improvement, but will it help you reach the top? It's more a preventative method to ensure you don't hit the low lows. Your chances are just about the same as the risk taker who runs by no rules. The highs and troughs are more extreme with the risk taker, but in the end, if you only have one goal of winning the SB, Jerry's method is probably the better method. If you have a goal of maintaining a string of winning seasons, Parcells method is probably more effective, but there's a reason why he's only won 2 SBs in his entire career while Jerry has won more in much less time, even though Jerry has lost more too.

I don't think it's fair to call Jerry an idiot and praise Bill. It's just two different approaches. Jerry will take you on high highs and low lows. Bill will give you more stability and try to keep you satisfied, but don't hate him if he doesn't take you to the top. That's not what his philosophy is built for.

Comment

Convince me why Mendenhall was a better fit for our team.

Did you take into account that we picked up a 3rd and 4th rounder in 2009? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Additionally, I think there is significant difference between the quality of talent in Jenkins' game in comparison to Cason's game. And when you factor in the fit in our system, which you probably didn't do, then the value for Jenkins increases exponentially.

There is a reason why Barber won't hold out. He lost his leverage when we drafted Jones and Choice. The situation has changed.

Comment

Another thing for the Tuna Lovers to keep in mind; if we had been following Parcells' mantra, we would have selected Dewayne Robertson over T-New and Marcus Spears at 11 in '05. Our defense would be extremely mediocre, if not outright bad, with those two decisions alone.

Comment

Thats too bad because every analyst has given us a B or B+, so its too bad that your Redskins opinion doesn't matter.

You calling Jenkins a reach tells me all I need to know about you.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Dolphins still need fans, don't let us keep you here...You sound unhappy all the time, whats the point of being a fan of a team that your unhappy with every move.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Gosselin: B-

The Cowboys were cruising along with a great draft until reaching for LB Walden in the sixth. RB Choice in the fourth and CB Scandrick in the fifth were superb second-day selections. RB Jones will be a boon to the special teams.

Kiper: B+

Dallas Cowboys: Felix Jones will join Marion Barber in the Cowboys’ backfield and will also return kicks. Cornerback Mike Jenkins has really good ball skills and should be a major contributor this season in the secondary. Tight end Martellus Bennett has talent and should be able to help out in the passing game. Running back Tashard Choice had a knee injury in 2007; otherwise he would have gone a little higher in the draft. He can run between tackles, but isn’t going to run away from anyone in space. I projected Boise State cornerback Orlando Scandrick to go late in the second round, and I was surprised to see him last until the fifth round. However, the Cowboys didn’t draft a wide receiver, which I thought was one of their top three need areas.

Weisman (USA Today): B-

Dallas Cowboys: Excellent job in filling needs but bypassing Rashard Mendenhall? Had to get RB and did, in explosive Felix Jones. He’ll dovetail nicely with Marion Barber III. Then moved up three spots in deal with Seattle and grabbed CB Mike Jenkins, which gives them some insurance regarding Pacman Jones and his uncertain status (currently suspended). TE Martellus Bennett steps in for traded Anthony Fasano.

Brown (Sporting News): B+

Cowboys. What they got was better than trading for Darren McFadden. Felix Jones may be just as good a running back. Taking Mike Jenkins makes them less dependent on Pacman Jones.

Brisco: A

Best pick: I’m a big fan of Arkansas running back Felix Jones, who went 22nd in the first round. He is a home-run threat every time he touches it.

Questionable move: Hard to find one. They had a good two days, but taking tight end Martellus Bennett in the second round might be it. With Jason Witten on the roster, that was a luxury pick.

Second-day gem: Corner Orlando Scandrick has nice cover skills. Were it not for some attitude questions, he might have been taken higher than the fifth round.

Overall grade: A. With two first-round picks, it was hard to mess things up. Getting corner Mike Jenkins after Jones fills a need.

Czarnecki: A-

The Cowboys didn’t land Darren McFadden, but still had a quality draft. Some may argue that Arkansas running back Felix Jones wasn’t the best one available, but he did score 20 touchdowns in college and has breakaway speed. Georgia Tech RB Tashard Choice is a bruiser much like Marion Barber and adds to the depth at that position. At worse, he’s a special teams player. South Florida CB Mike Jenkins has super coverage skills and Jerry Jones was wise to trade up to get him. Texas A&M tight end Martellus Bennett has the size to be a great blocker and with Jason Witten around, there’s no reason he has to catch the ball.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                          http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                          KO KNOWS

Comment

I love the Mike Jenkins pick, but overall I'm not too happy with the draft. First of all we drafted Felix Jones and second, we didn't even draft a WR. I think the experts were very generous in grading our draft this year.

Comment

Pretty universal that we had a good to very good draft except for a few short sighted "fans". These same "fans" were saying the same thing about the Eagles and how great their front office was/is as they are this year about the Dolphins. Seems theres alot of great GM's/ front office people in the league not named Jerrah but have yet to win the titles he has, not to mention we went 13-3 last year with inferior talent and little hope for the future. :roll: :roll:

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

Originally posted by dc4life View Post
                                I love the Mike Jenkins pick, but overall I'm not too happy with the draft. First of all we drafted Felix Jones and second, we didn't even draft a WR. I think the experts were very generous in grading our draft this year.

Yeah those first round WR's that we missed out on...oh wait there wasnt a WR drafted in the first round? WOW we missed out on some big time talent didnt we?

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information