Cowboys 2008 Draft Grades

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
    Yeah those first round WR's that we missed out on...oh wait there wasnt a WR drafted in the first round? WOW we missed out on some big time talent didnt we?
    Didn't say we had to draft a WR in the first round. I did however imply filling a position we need. Picking up Choice in the 4th round was also great... when we still have needs.

Comment

I dont get the hate w/ the Choice selection...honestly, it's a 4th round draft pick. That pick isnt going to make or break your franchise and Choice fell to the pick...so, it was good value. People are acting as though, you're drafting a starter at that pick. Teams select third stringers in the 4th round on, every single year...it's called depth and it was a great value pick. Another thing that kind of urked me was, the whining about receiver as late as the 5th round. What's the point, when it's that late? We have plenty of potential at the position as it is. That player doesnt even have a decent shot at making the team, when you already have three talented young guys already being developed.

After the 2nd round, I think it became evident that we werent going to go WR. Stanback and Hurd were better than any receiver that was left on the board....and the funny thing is, a guy that has drawn a Hurd comparison or two, Jerome Simpson, went in the early 2nd round. We have some nice young talent at receiver.
      Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 04-28-2008, 10:47 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
      KO KNOWS

Comment

Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
        I dont get the hate w/ the Choice selection...honestly, it's a 4th round draft pick. That pick isnt going to make or break your franchise and Choice fell to the pick...so, it was good value. People are acting as though, you're drafting a starter at that pick. Teams select third stringers in the 4th round on, every single year...it's called depth and it was a great value pick. Another thing that kind of urked me was, the whining about receiver as late as the 5th round. What's the point, when it's that late? We have plenty of potential at the position as it is. That player doesnt even have a good shot at making the team, when you already have three talented young guys already being developed.
        I don't "hate the Choice" selection... I actually do hate the Felix Jones pick. Yes, drafting Choice is great value, but it's the combination of drafting 2 RBs when you still have a need. Do we honestly believe Glenn will play the full year? Can anyone honestly say that our draft wouldnt have been better if we had selected Doucet (picked at 81), Harry Douglas (picked at 84), Manningham (picked at 95) or Lavelle Hawkins (picked at 126) ? I'm probably missing many other alternatives. I just feel we could have done better.

Comment

Only WR I wouldn't of minded, was Earl Bennett, he could of contributed and been a solid #2 guy for us, but it wasn't a strong draft for WR's, so if we make a move for Crabtree next year it will be worth it.

Although I would of been all for trading up for Hardy early in the 2nd, I think he will be special.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
            Only WR I wouldn't of minded, was Earl Bennett, he could of contributed and been a solid #2 guy for us, but it wasn't a strong draft for WR's, so if we make a move for Crabtree next year it will be worth it.

Although I would of been all for trading up for Hardy early in the 2nd, I think he will be special.
            Agreed on Crabtree!

Comment

Originally posted by dc4life View Post
              I don't "hate the Choice" selection... I actually do hate the Felix Jones pick. Yes, drafting Choice is great value, but it's the combination of drafting 2 RBs when you still have a need. Do we honestly believe Glenn will play the full year? Can anyone honestly say that our draft wouldnt have been better if we had selected Doucet (picked at 81), Harry Douglas (picked at 84), Manningham (picked at 95) or Lavelle Hawkins (picked at 126) ? I'm probably missing a many other alternatives.
              Manningham is a headache waiting to happen and the rest are all possession/slot types...their ceilings arent any higher than Hurd's or Stanback's, imho...and our receivers have already started developing and have shown nice promise. Jerry only wanted a WR if he could come in and contribute right away and there were not many in this draft that could do that....and as for Terry Glenn, it's looking real good at this point. His knee isnt nearly as bad as this board made it out to be.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

or Heyward-Bey if we need to go WR.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

Manningham is a headache waiting to happen and the rest are all possession/slot types...their ceilings arent any higher than Hurd's or Stanback's, imho...and our receivers have already started developing and have shown nice promise. Jerry only wanted a WR if he could come in and contribute right away and there were not many in this draft that could do that....and as for Terry Glenn, it's looking real good at this point. His knee isnt nearly as bad as this board made it out to be.
                  Ugh, I hope so. I heard theres hardly any ligament left and that he suffered from muscle atrophy last year.

Comment

or Heyward-Bey if we need to go WR.
                    I like him, he probably will be a tad higher then Crabtree, but Jerry sounds like he wants Crabtree, and you know he will eat up the local kid and make him the new star...And we are going to be pretty far away from a top 10 pick, so we might be trading future picks in that draft.

Comment

I like him, he probably will be a tad higher then Crabtree, but Jerry sounds like he wants Crabtree, and you know he will eat up the local kid and make him the new star...And we are going to be pretty far away from a top 10 pick, so we might be trading future picks in that draft.
                      You know me, though...I'm hoping we dont even have to go that route. :) There are some amazing SS prospects as well.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

You know me, though...I'm hoping we dont even have to go that route. :) There are some amazing SS prospects as well.
                        Alot of them, I'm excited about that position, we definately will have a chance to upgrade that position...Safety in general.

Comment

Who are the stud safeties that are gonna be up for the taking next year?

As far as WR's, i sure wouldn't mind Crabtree. Local kid that can become a monster = Marketing dream.

What about Percy Harvin? What's the consensus on seeing Percy in a Cowboys uniform? Kid's a playmaker, and has shown that he can take some hits, unlike other small WR's.

Comment

It is a B, even some of the picks I world go other ways. It is funny that for the last two years, we want draft a NT, but nothing happen.

Here what I world rather have:

Rashard Mendenhall (anyway that you look at it, he is better Jones)
                            Mike Jenkins
                            Martellus Bennett
                            Cliff Avril
                            Justin King
                            Ahtyba Rubin

Comment

Who are the stud safeties that are gonna be up for the taking next year?

As far as WR's, i sure wouldn't mind Crabtree. Local kid that can become a monster = Marketing dream.

What about Percy Harvin? What's the consensus on seeing Percy in a Cowboys uniform? Kid's a playmaker, and has shown that he can take some hits, unlike other small WR's.
                              Okay...now I can answer this lol. I just got back from getting GTA 4 and now my cpu just restarted like 3 times, WTF?!? lol. Anyway...

As for some of the Safeties...

Taylor Mays
                              William Moore
                              Emanuel Cook
                              Courtney Green
                              Myron Rolle
                              Kam Chancellor
                              Nic Harris
                              Kevin Ellison
                              Mike Hamlin

Among others, it's a solid group...one of the draft's strengths, and we may need one next year. Taylor Mays or Emanuel Cook would be a dream selection.

Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 04-29-2008, 12:07 AM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

Felix Jones-(B+) I am admittedly not a huge Felix fan. Watching highlight clips I seemed to notice that if a defender gets into his legs at all he usually hits the ground. I also didn't like the fact that just about every play I saw.... he was 5 yards down the field before he was even challeged by a defender. On the positive side... he does have great vision,the finesse to squeeze through tight places and that "second gear" in the open field. He also displays good use of his hands when catching the ball and occasionally will stick someone with a decent stiff arm. I think Garrett will be pretty creative and throw him in the slot...throwing some screens or some reverses and whatnot. In a traditional running package he will probably be involved in alot of counters and draws to maximize his talents findind the crease.

Mike Jenkins(A+) I had Jenkins as my second rated corner after DRC.. From a value standpoint I thought he wasn't going to make it past 18 and we would have to settle for Talib...Flowers...or Cason. He has the Potential to be a All-Pro... considering the combination of excellent man coverage and good ball skills. He will fade some times and get lazy with his technique, but when he is challenged...he responds. Jenkins is already friends with current Cowboys and former Bull Anthony Henry who will be a great mentor. The best part is with the combination of Newman, Henry, and Pacman.... Jenkins has three different styles CB to learn from if he applies himself.

Martellus Bennett(B) I constantly fight with myself over this pick.... Its a Love-hate relationship. I understand that the idea of the pick is to create matchup problems.. and he Potentially will be able to do that. He is a great redzone target and a decent blocker for his size. He has the ability to split out wide or slid into the H-back role. The problem I have is that he is a bit of a developmental experiment. He has the pieces but he is still raw. IMHO Brad Cottam would offer a very similar package but would be a round cheaper.

Third Round ShuffleN/A- basically Jerry added a little more fire power to move around in the '09 draft. This gives Hurd, Austin, and Stanback their last chance to devlop before Jerry targets the impact WR he desires.

Tashard Choice(B)- If you listen closely enough Jerry believes that Barber goes down, that Felix Jones won't be able to carry the load himself. In the post draft press conference he raves about Choice's ability to toat the rock. This is essentially Marion's insurance policy in case of injury. He is a tough runner... he has decent hands... and blocks very well. I wouldn't be surprised if Garrett found a way to get the rock in his hand about 5-10 times a game, along with special teams play. On the other hand the was great value at NT and S in the same area, but neither we addressed.

Orlando Scandrick(B)- Great Value and once again added flexability. Scandrick was projected to be a late 2nd/3rd round talent and to get him in the 5th was amazing. I think Wade really learned his lesson about how running thin on corners effects the entire defense. I expect him to contribute immediately as a gunner on special teams and could have even more of an impact if Pacman goes off of the deep end.

Eric Walden(F)- I don't like the pick at all considering the was still value at NT and Saftey where we sat. Even worse the kid probably could be picked up as a rookie FA.

Overall(B)

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information