Orlando Scandrick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who you going to believe? Hawaii coach and talent evaluator June Jones

Shortly after the NFL Draft, SMU coach June Jones visited Wade Phillips. And he made a bold statement ...

The Cowboys' best draft pick, Jones insisted, would be fifth guy they took. That would be Boise State CB Orlando Scandrick, whom June faced in the WAC in his days as Hawaii coach.

"He's not better than June Jones thought he was, I'll tell you that," Phillips said of Scandrick. "I hope he doesn't mind me quoting him, but he said, 'You know who the best player you got in the draft was?' And I said no, and he said, 'Scandrick.' He said he's going to better than all of them you got. I said, 'Really?'

"He said, 'I'm telling you, I've seen a lot of DBs and I was on the field seeing him,' and talked about his presence on the field during the game, and you don't see that (on film). He thinks he's going to be pretty good."

If you've watched the kid through two days of practice, I think you'd agree.

Or Hawaii fan and super poster D-Unit

I've seen him look lost trying to defend Hawaii's passing attack, so if anyone, maybe it was my remarks that coop was talking about. The value was fine, his numbers are good, but his play on the field is what caused his fall. Let's not be mistaken here... he's a fast guy, but he's got A LOT to learn about being a corner and his instincts suck. I would've preferred to use the pick in another direction.

For now I'm leaning towards June.:D

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

I'm also leaning towards not paying attention to anything that comes out of mini-camps because there is a reason Jenkins was in the 1st and Scandrick was in the 5th.

Amendola has already been declared Wes Welker 2.0 if you read the minicamp reports and what people say about him. I hope it turns out to be true, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up on the PS.

Comment

That's some pretty good praise, and I don't think its too much to assume he will see some playing time in the Dime formations at some point...I really like the upside he offers, and I won't say we should of went in another direction, because there were at least 5 other guys available when we took Walden that just made things worse, I hate to knock a guy before he plays a down, but quite frankly there were alot more highly rated players left on the defensive side of the ball so that one pissed me off.

I had been wanting 2 corners in this draft all along, even with Pacman, Molden, Wheatley, and Scandrick were 3 sleepers at corner I wanted us to pick up because I felt one might slide, Scandrick did the most so that was one of the moves I appluaded.

I'm still upset we didn't draft Blake, I thought Jerry would of jumped on that potential and upside like always, call me crazy but for a 6th I'll take the guy who was a previous 1st rounder and labeled to be a beast in the 3-4...He would be extremely close to home and in familiar surroundings, he must of had some serious issues in his head if we went with Walden over him.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
          Who you going to believe? Hawaii coach and talent evaluator June Jones

Shortly after the NFL Draft, SMU coach June Jones visited Wade Phillips. And he made a bold statement ...

The Cowboys' best draft pick, Jones insisted, would be fifth guy they took. That would be Boise State CB Orlando Scandrick, whom June faced in the WAC in his days as Hawaii coach.

"He's not better than June Jones thought he was, I'll tell you that," Phillips said of Scandrick. "I hope he doesn't mind me quoting him, but he said, 'You know who the best player you got in the draft was?' And I said no, and he said, 'Scandrick.' He said he's going to better than all of them you got. I said, 'Really?'

"He said, 'I'm telling you, I've seen a lot of DBs and I was on the field seeing him,' and talked about his presence on the field during the game, and you don't see that (on film). He thinks he's going to be pretty good."

If you've watched the kid through two days of practice, I think you'd agree.

Or Hawaii fan and super poster D-Unit

I've seen him look lost trying to defend Hawaii's passing attack, so if anyone, maybe it was my remarks that coop was talking about. The value was fine, his numbers are good, but his play on the field is what caused his fall. Let's not be mistaken here... he's a fast guy, but he's got A LOT to learn about being a corner and his instincts suck. I would've preferred to use the pick in another direction.

For now I'm leaning towards June.:D
          Is this the same June Jones that told Colt Brennan that he'd be a sure fire first round pick if he comes back for his Senior year? Yes, you say? Oh ok... just checking.

Hell I hope Scandrick is good, but let's not get carried away here. He's got a large adjustment curve ahead of him. He's got the raw skills, but that's all I've seen so far. Fact remains... he got TOASTED by Hawaii's pass offense... and he knew they were going to pass. No run guessing involved. He knew they were gonna pass and still had difficulty covering. We're talking about performance against a 6th round draft pick and a WR bunch that all went undrafted. So when he covers WRs in the NFL... I hope he's not thrown into the fire too prematurely.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
            Is this the same June Jones that told Colt Brennan that he'd be a sure fire first round pick if he comes back for his Senior year? Yes, you say? Oh ok... just checking.

Hell I hope Scandrick is good, but let's not get carried away here. He's got a large adjustment curve ahead of him. He's got the raw skills, but that's all I've seen so far. Fact remains... he got TOASTED by Hawaii's pass offense... and he knew they were going to pass. No run guessing involved. He knew they were gonna pass and still had difficulty covering. We're talking about performance against a 6th round draft pick and a WR bunch that all went undrafted. So when he covers WRs in the NFL... I hope he's not thrown into the fire too prematurely.
            OMG, you mean a coach lied to keep his QB for another year? WOW I bet thats the first time thats happened.:p Just seems strange for a coach, unsolicited, to say he was going to be the best player we drafted. Especially after the coaches team lit him up.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

OMG, you mean a coach lied to keep his QB for another year? WOW I bet thats the first time thats happened.:p Just seems strange for a coach, unsolicited, to say he was going to be the best player we drafted. Especially after the coaches team lit him up.
              That guy ALWAYS has his motives... He's coaching SMU now.... maybe he's trying to network. There's no reason for him to comment on Scandrick.

Comment

Yeah, i dont think Tyler Graunke couldve beat Boise St or Washington
                Good QB and all, just not Colt Brennan

Also this is a huge debate about a late round pick.

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Working...
                X

Debug Information