X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UTPATS
    started a topic LB Fun...What ifs...

LB Fun...What ifs...

Looking back on the 2005 and 2006 drafts where we took MLBs, if we would have decided....

In 2005, instead of taking Burnett, we take Lofa Tatupu, drafter 3 spots later.

In 2006, instead of taking Carpenter, we take Demeco Ryans who went 15 spots later.

I know Parcells has "his" type guys that he was going to draft, and Lofa and Demeco probably are not "his" guys, but DANG, how nice would that have been?

• FearTheSpur
    replied
    I think Demeco Ryans would have been a good fit here personally.

Leave a comment:

• pocketaces
    replied
    Originally posted by thule View Post
    like pacman jones and tank johnson weren't....
    The difference being, we didn't have anybody currently on the team that was already in trouble with the law. If you have a good image and no trouble makers it allows you to take a chance on a pacman ect... Jerry will take chances, you just have to pick your spots.

Leave a comment:

• E-Man
    replied
    Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
    You're the kind of guy I like watching the game with! When I'm watching, my family thinks I'm nuts!

Yeah E, I remember you too. I made a sig for you back in the day too. lol. kwhy hasn't been around for years. you have a good memory though.

Being a mainstay is how I roll baby!
    See this is why I came back to this board. lol Glad I remembered this place after getting my new comp. I need a place to talk to die hard Cowboy fans with realistic expectations. Ugh the amount of people around here that think Romo should be cut makes me sick to my stomach.

I remember that cool sig you made for me. Wish I saved it to a flash drive or something. But can you tell me how to make a sig? I have this cool pic of Colossus on my desktop, and he's in that Jay Ratliff pose. I wanted to put the two side by side.

Leave a comment:

• JJJ888
    replied
    Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
    ...and I admit I was wrong about Tuck! I know you loved him and I kept telling you he sucks. hahah. I remember you loved Ryan Fitzpatrick like no other too! lol.

I think at the time we were all hoping for Derrick Johnson... with the impression we were sticking with the 4-3. We never knew we'd be going to the 3-4 for surety until that day.

As for David Pollack... lol. yeah, I definitely busted on him.

I wanted OU's WR Mark Clayton too, remember? He's sooo underwhelming now. Might have to do with the QB situation he had, but yeah... he didn't live up to my hype.

I remember being one of the early ones hyping up Jay Cutler here though. kwhy kept telling me that Jerry only goes for "Cadillac QBs".... and how Marcus Vick was so dreamy for him. He even convinced me and I took Vick for us in a forum mock. OMG... ha!

Fun memories... thanks guys!
    I remember kwhy's and my forum mock that year consisted of Brodney Poole at 20 (we trade away the 11th for a late first and early 2nd), Khalif Barnes, Roddy White (who I really liked as well), and a trade for Darren Howard at 42. We then took Michael Boley and and Cedric Houston in the 4th and 5th rounds.

I guess that wasn't as bad as I thought...although our defense sure would look different. The White and Boley picks kinda save my butt.

On the Ryan Fitzpatrick subject (who proved to me this year that he was worthy of the 6-7th round hype I gave him), there's another Harvard QB, Chris Pizzotti, who has similar if not better skills. Nice accuracy, good skills at reading defenses (his TD to Int ratio was 31:8 the past two years and completed 63 % of his passes--granted, all in the Ivy League), decent mobility, and clearly a smart kid. Maybe not the developmental Tony Romo-style QB we're looking for right now, but an intriguing kid in the Jason Garrett mold nonetheless.

Maybe I'll go back and look at the film and hype him up in the thread.

Leave a comment:

• thule
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul View Post
    Skipping on Moss was probably the tipping point for Jerry. He seemed more willing to take a chance on a talented player with character issues after seeing what Moss became.
    eh....good point...I'll just quit this argument as I don't have the memory/data to back up that he took chances before that.

Charles Haley was a chance tho right? If I remember right.

Leave a comment:

• Paul
    replied
    Originally posted by thule View Post
    Skipping on Moss was probably the tipping point for Jerry. He seemed more willing to take a chance on a talented player with character issues after seeing what Moss became.

Leave a comment:

• thule
    replied
    Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
    Irvin is the reason we couldnt take Moss. Even Micheal said he was the reason Jerry couldnt take him. Irvin was in trouble with the law and Moss had issues. It would have been a huge PR hit.

Leave a comment:

• pocketaces
    replied
    Originally posted by E-Man View Post
    I felt the same way that you did. After seeing them go 6-10 the year before, character concerns didn't matter to me. Moss and Irvin together would've been something else. But since I'm getting all misty eyed thinking about the past I'll bring up Larry Allen again. Supposedly he had a bad workout, and teams were weary of drafting him. But the 'Boys missed that workout, and the rest is history.
    Irvin is the reason we couldnt take Moss. Even Micheal said he was the reason Jerry couldnt take him. Irvin was in trouble with the law and Moss had issues. It would have been a huge PR hit.

Leave a comment:

• D-Unit
    replied
    Originally posted by JJJ888 View Post
    I was soooo wrong about Ware...if you went back and read the draft day threads from 2005, I was miserable after that first day (with the exception of the Kevin Burnett pick, which I really liked, although I wanted Justin Tuck, who went two spots earlier). I had Derrick Johnson graded out as the best player in the draft (shows what I knew back when I was a sophomore in high school), and when he was on the board at 11, I was ecstatic. Of course, at that point I also wanted to stick with the 4-3...

Glad I was wrong now though.
    ...and I admit I was wrong about Tuck! I know you loved him and I kept telling you he sucks. hahah. I remember you loved Ryan Fitzpatrick like no other too! lol.

I think at the time we were all hoping for Derrick Johnson... with the impression we were sticking with the 4-3. We never knew we'd be going to the 3-4 for surety until that day.

As for David Pollack... lol. yeah, I definitely busted on him.

I wanted OU's WR Mark Clayton too, remember? He's sooo underwhelming now. Might have to do with the QB situation he had, but yeah... he didn't live up to my hype.

I remember being one of the early ones hyping up Jay Cutler here though. kwhy kept telling me that Jerry only goes for "Cadillac QBs".... and how Marcus Vick was so dreamy for him. He even convinced me and I took Vick for us in a forum mock. OMG... ha!

Fun memories... thanks guys!

Leave a comment:

• D-Unit
    replied
    Haha I do alot of talking to my tv. Me watching the Cowboys play is like a wrestling match. I do alot of trash talking and celebratory dances. I'm a good sport though, I always(unless it's a blow out lol) congratulate the other team if the Cowboys lose.......of course this congratulations is like 2 weeks after the fact, but hey it counts.:)

On a side note, it's cool to see you, Ward, and Thule still around. I used to be on here for a brief minute back when you and newkwhy(where is that guy?) had the DeMarcus Ware vs. Shawne Merriman debates. Nice to see y'all as mainstays.
    You're the kind of guy I like watching the game with! When I'm watching, my family thinks I'm nuts!

Yeah E, I remember you too. I made a sig for you back in the day too. lol. kwhy hasn't been around for years. you have a good memory though.

Being a mainstay is how I roll baby!

Leave a comment:

• M.O.T.H.
    replied
    I was drooling over Ware after the combine...it was an easy sell after that. Merriman or Ware, either one I was happy.

Leave a comment:

• JJJ888
    replied
    Derrick Johnson and Justin Tuck were the ones I wanted for the first round too. I was vehemently against switching to the 3-4, so Johnson and Tuck would've been my choices to keep it running. The defense would've looked like this to me:

RE: Justin Tuck
    DT:La Roi Glover
    DT: Jason Ferguson
    LE: Greg Ellis
    SLB: Bradie James
    MLB: Dat Nguyen
    WLB: Derrick Johnson
    CB: Terence Newman
    FS: ? lol
    SS: Roy Williams
    CB: Anthony Henry

Would've been a good D, but Ware is something special so I'm glad I'm wrong.
    To be honest, I really wanted Antrel Rolle at safety (and no one believed me that he could play there...) with Tuck at 20. I remember D and I got into this HUGE debate about David Pollack vs. Justin Tuck...which I clearly won.

Leave a comment:

• E-Man
    replied
    Originally posted by JJJ888 View Post
    I was soooo wrong about Ware...if you went back and read the draft day threads from 2005, I was miserable after that first day (with the exception of the Kevin Burnett pick, which I really liked, although I wanted Justin Tuck, who went two spots earlier). I had Derrick Johnson graded out as the best player in the draft (shows what I knew back when I was a sophomore in high school), and when he was on the board at 11, I was ecstatic. Of course, at that point I also wanted to stick with the 4-3...

Derrick Johnson and Justin Tuck were the ones I wanted for the first round too. I was vehemently against switching to the 3-4, so Johnson and Tuck would've been my choices to keep it running. The defense would've looked like this to me:

RE: Justin Tuck
    DT:La Roi Glover
    DT: Jason Ferguson
    LE: Greg Ellis
    SLB: Bradie James
    MLB: Dat Nguyen
    WLB: Derrick Johnson
    CB: Terence Newman
    FS: ? lol
    SS: Roy Williams
    CB: Anthony Henry

Would've been a good D, but Ware is something special so I'm glad I'm wrong.

Leave a comment:

• JJJ888
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information