Hype a prospect!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
    Wow! I haven't even heard of him. Sounds/looks like a complete diamond in the rough. I WANT HIM! Like seriously... Can I put him in my ideal mock?

Strength/Athleticism/Smarts/Balance... and while I'm not racist, I like Black OL better.

Nice hype!
    That's funny D -- I'd almost prefer all black players except for Kicker/Punter/QB/TE and LB is a toss up for me.

Any WR/Oline/Dline/CB/S/RB should be black for me. I make exceptions for beasts like Columbo though. I love his attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
      That's funny D -- I'd almost prefer all black players except for Kicker/Punter/QB/TE and LB is a toss up for me.

Any WR/Oline/Dline/CB/S/RB should be black for me. I make exceptions for beasts like Columbo though. I love his attitude.
      I'm right with you there. Race plays a factor in genes, so that's my logic.

As a Hawaii football fan, I'm the same with the Warriors... and that's what they do... they recruit Polynesians at FB, OL, DL, LB...even S. But at the skilled positions, that require speed, they go to the mainland to get Black players.... RB, WR, CB, LB. Our QBs... guess what color? White. It's been the best formula and best kept secret. Nobody will outright say it, but that's what they do.

Comment

Wow! I haven't even heard of him. Sounds/looks like a complete diamond in the rough. I WANT HIM! Like seriously... Can I put him in my ideal mock?

Strength/Athleticism/Smarts/Balance... and while I'm not racist, I like Black OL better.

Nice hype!
        Belichick, Parcells, Coughlin and Shanahan might disagree over OL.

Comment

Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
          Belichick, Parcells, Coughlin and Shanahan might disagree over OL.
          I know this. I love Shanny's ZBS. His system made any RB look good.

Comment

Just stopping in for my yearly promotion of an lllinois State player.

This year- Tom Nelson, S, 6-0 200 lbs., 40 time- 4.40 (at Northwestern's pro-day)

Strengths: Is an athletic safety who was a highly productive four-year starter at Illinois State. Is very smart and has great instincts, which helped him consistently be around the ball and make a lot of plays. Is quick and fast, giving him good range against the pass. Reads the QB well, breaks quickly and can get out to the sideline to help in over-the-top coverage. Has the hands to make tough interceptions when he is in position. Does a good job of planting, driving and closing quickly on passes in front of him; gets there in time to make the tackle right after the catch. Comes up quickly in run support; will fight to get to the ball carrier and is a willing tackler. Is a good punt and kick returner and played on all the special-teams coverage units in college.

Weaknesses: Is not huge and must become more physical against the run. Must improve at tackling bigger ball carriers. Is inconsistent in his ball skills and often does not break up passes when he is in position. Is not an elite athlete and will have trouble covering the top-level tight ends; also will struggle to cover slot receivers.

Bottom line: Nelson is an underrated safety who has not received a lot of publicity, but he has many of the tools to become a starter in the NFL. His combination of intelligence, instincts, toughness and better-than-expected athleticism make him a versatile defender who is consistently around the ball and making a lot of plays. Nelson won't be drafted as highly as we have him rated, but in time he will prove to be a quality starting safety. He reminds us of the Jets' Jim Leonhard, who came into his own during the 2008 season with Baltimore. Additionally, Nelson will be an impact special teams player as a rookie.
            - http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/...yers/9080.html

Comment

I figured this is kinda fun... I like to do this to a few players every year and since these posts always get burried year after year, I thought this would be a nice way to find it again in the future when we look back and laugh. :D

So go ahead... Hype someone up! Post pics, videos, stats, personal analysis/opinions... the WORKS! :p
              Remember this? It's back for 2009!!!

Comment

Haha! Good work. What the hell happened to Pegues?

Some guys I was hyping in the 2009 draft:

(Players I'm convinced I was right about)

Jairus Byrd (How wonderful would it be to have this guy at FS now? UGH)

Chris Wells (If he stays reasonably healthy he'll be a top 5 RB in no time IMO)

Hakeem Nicks (GODDAMMIT JERRUH YOU LET THE GIANTS GET THE NEXT IRVIN AND WE HAVE ROY WILLIAMS INSTEAD AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH)

Brandon Pettigrew (but who didn't like him?)

Michael Oher (see Pettigrew)

Kory Sheets (I know he's done nothing but I'm entirely confident this kid will be a starter, and a good one)

(players it looks like I was wrong about)

Brian Robiskie (WTF Rob? It is early though)
                DeAngelo Smith (Relative to his 5th round pick status...but still. He was just horrible)
                Mike Mickens (Relative to his 7th round pick status...I still can't believe him and Smith. WTF, guys?)

(jury's out)

Louis Delmas
                Connor Barwin (Guy is an incredible athlete, that's for sure)
                David Veikune
                Rashad Johnson
                Travis Beckum (though I said he should move to WR)
                Jason Phillips
                Jarrett Dillard
                Scott McKillop
                James Davis

Also, I thought LeSean McCoy would be a turd. He's been good so far.

2010 edition coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Supporting Caste View Post

Hakeem Nicks (GODDAMMIT JERRUH YOU LET THE GIANTS GET THE NEXT IRVIN AND WE HAVE ROY WILLIAMS INSTEAD AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH)

Kory Sheets (I know he's done nothing but I'm entirely confident this kid will be a starter, and a good one)

DeAngelo Smith (Relative to his 5th round pick status...but still. He was just horrible)
                  Mike Mickens (Relative to his 7th round pick status...I still can't believe him and Smith. WTF, guys?)

(jury's out)

Louis Delmas
                  David Veikune
                  Rashad Johnson
                  Jason Phillips
                  Jarrett Dillard
                  Scott McKillop
                  James Davis

Did you really want us to take Wells, Sheets and Pettigrew? I didn't value RB and TE that high.

Interesting that you were hyping Veikune. Go Hawaii!

Guys I was hyping for our first pick:
                  Rey Maualuga - Stud
                  Jairus Byrd - Stud
                  Sean Smith - Stud
                  Jarron Gilbert - Jury's still out

Hyping for our later picks:
                  Brandon Tate - Jury's still out
                  Darcel McBath - Jury's still out
                  Sherrod Martin - Is he alive???
                  Chris Baker - Jury's still out
                  Johnny Knox - Stud
                  Cornelius Lewis - Is he alive???
                  Frantz Joseph - I was dead wrong.
                  Dorell Scott - Is he alive???
                  Donald Washington - Is he alive???
                  Coye Francies - Is he alive???
                  Xavier Fulton - Is he alive???
                  Jarrett Dillard - Is he alive???
                  Sammie Lee Hill - Who?
                  Vaughn Martin - I think he's doing ok.

Guys I bashed:
                  Louis Delmas - I was wrong. He's good.
                  William Moore - Jury's still out
                  Patrick Chung - Mediocre
                  Ron Brace - Jury's still out
                  Darry Beckwith - Is he alive?
                  Brian Robiskie - Bleh
                  Mohamed Massaquoi - Bleh
                  Louis Murphy - Don't care
                  Last edited by D-Unit; 12-04-2009, 11:37 AM.

Comment

I wasn't saying we should draft them, I just thought they'd be good players. I wanted us to draft Byrd and Nicks.

And dude, Sherrod Martin is playing well for the Panthers. 3 INTs and might be a starting FS for them soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Supporting Caste View Post
                      I wasn't saying we should draft them, I just thought they'd be good players. I wanted us to draft Byrd and Nicks.

And dude, Sherrod Martin is playing well for the Panthers. 3 INTs and might be a starting FS for them soon.
                      That's cool. I thought we had a chance getting him. Haven't really followed guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Supporting Caste View Post

(jury's out)

Louis Delmas
                        David Veikune
                        Rashad Johnson
                        Jason Phillips
                        Jarrett Dillard
                        Scott McKillop
                        James Davis

Might as well put the guys I like also.

Players who I loved before the draft and I'm convinced I'm right about them

1. Beanie Wells RB
                        2. Percy Harvin WR
                        3. Kenny Britt WR
                        4. Mark Sanchez QB
                        5. Jairus Byrd FS
                        6. Josh Freeman QB ( I like more than Stafford but not as much as Sanchez)
                        7. Austin Collie WR
                        8. Brandon Gibson WR
                        9. Brandon Pettigrew TE
                        10. Sammie Stroughter WR

Guys I'm wrong about
                        1. Jermey Maclin (to an extent) I still don't think he'll be worth a 1st round pick but so far he's been solid
                        2. Brian Orakpo
                        3. James Laurinitis
                        4. DHB has looked pretty bad so far but it certainly doesn't help catching passes from Gradkowski and Russell.
                        5. Sean Smtih ( He looks like he's going to be a player)

Guys I like who the jury is out on

1. Larry English
                        2. Ron Brace
                        3. Scott McKillop
                        4. Stephen McGee
                        5.Coye Francies
                        6. Fenuki Tupou
                        7. Gatrell Johnson
                        8. Mitch King
                        9. Connor Barwin
                        10. Kory Sheets
                        11. Brandon Tate
                        12. Drew Willy

Comment

• I was really wrong about Harvin, didn't think it'd carry over. I didn't care for last years draft at all. This year has to be one of the best we've seen in a while.
                          Last edited by diesel; 12-05-2009, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• Perrish Cox, 6-0, 198
                            Cornerback, Kick Returner
                            Oklahoma State University

2009 Stats
                            36 tackles (34 solo)
                            4 Interceptions
                            15 Pass Breakups (Leads the nation)
                            1 Fumble Recovery

http://www.okstate.com/sports/m-foot...perrish00.html

2009 ALL-BIG 12 FIRST TEAM (COACHES): DB
                            2009 ALL-BIG 12 SECOND TEAM (COACHES): KR/PR

- Leads all active FBS players and holds the Big 12 and OSU record with four career kickoff returns for touchdowns.
                            - 2008 All-America kick returner as selected by Sportsline.com.
                            - 3rd nationally and first in the Big 12 with 29.83 yards per kick return in 2008.
                            - OSU record holder with 2,155 career kickoff return yards.
                            - Big 12 record holder with two kickoff returns in a season.

"If you haven’t heard of him yet, Perrish Cox will soon become a household name in draft circles. At 6-0, 198, he’s unlike many corners that have come out in recent years. His athletic ability and lockdown ability really make him a legit 1st round possible cornerback.

The main match-up I followed closely for Cox is when the Cowboys matched up against Georgia. Cox was opposite SEC 1st teamer AJ Green, and really managed to shut him down when Cox was in the game. He has long arms and outstanding ball skills to knock the ball away on red-zone fades and deep balls. A really under rated skills for a cornerback that Cox possesses is that he can not only read the quarterback for play indicators, but can use the receivers to tell exactly when the ball will arrive or where the route is going. He can really match-up man to man with bigger receivers because of his size, and rarely needs to be taken out of the game, outside of injury.

Cox also is a great tackler. He is great in open field and an either lay a big hit to a receiver, or trip up a running back with great consistency. Because of that skill and his great play in zone, a Cover 2 scheme could be an option at the NFL level. He has had a few off-the field issues in the past and doesn’t have great recovery speed, so those two things may result in him fading on draft boards.

Cox, who is as close as you’ll find in college football to a lockdown cornerback, also is one of the best return men in the country. A versatile athlete, Cox will definitely begin his assault draft boards very soon, and if you haven’t watched the Antonio Cromartie clone in Cox, I advise that you watch Cox work against some of the top receivers in the country."

http://optimumscouting.wordpress.com...sh-cox-report/

OVERVIEW

It did not take long for Cox to make an impact on the field for the Cowboys after a U.S. Army All-American prep career in Waco. He returned the opening kickoff of the 2006 season for a touchdown - as a true freshman - becoming the first 'Poke to do that since Barry Sanders in his 1988 Heisman season.

Although Cox's punt (12.1-yard avg. on 41 returns, one touchdown in 2006-'07) and kickoff (25.0 avg. on 86 returns, four touchdowns from 2006-'08) return skills are formidable, teams are more intrigued by his potential as a shutdown corner on the edge. He has the size and ball skills to go along with the speed obvious with the ball in his hands.

He was granted honorable mention All-Big 12 notice by league coaches in 2008 after putting together his second consecutive season (including 21 consecutive starts) with two interceptions and eight pass breakups. Another excellent campaign on defense and special teams - with some improvement in his ball skills and physicality - could find Cox being selected in the draft's first round.

--www.*************.com

ANALYSIS

Read & React: Recognizes routes (and whether he's the primary read) by receiver's body language. Keeps his eye on swing pass in the flat in zone coverage. Reads receiver screens, avoids the block and closes to make the play near or behind the line. A step slow attacking the ball in his zone or to chase plays.

Man Coverage: Should flourish as a press cover corner at the next level. Smooth hip transition from backpedal to run down sideline. Best in press coverage, using his length and size to neutralize the receiver, but could be more consistent getting his hands on jersey at the line. Keeps contact with receiver downfield to prevent separation. Often forces quarterback to look in another direction. Will lose his balance and footing on double moves.

Zone Coverage: Smooth pedal for his height and usually stays low. Maintains cushion for a few steps. Changes direction easily with receiver. Makes contact with receiver to knock him off his route before letting him go to the safety. Keeps eyes in the backfield in zone to make play on short throws or runs.

Closing/Recovery: Good arm length to knock away passes after recovering. Must learn to read receivers' eyes and turn for the ball in man. Can accelerate to the ball when it's in front of him, but has only adequate recovery speed if beaten off the line or on double moves. Only average hands for the interception, and will drop very catchable passes.

Run Support: Willing in run support, displaying the toughness to get after a ball carrier. Maintains outside leverage to keep running backs from getting the corner. Despite his height and well-developed upper body and leg builds, does not get off downfield blocks from larger receivers very well. Uses his speed to run around blocks on receiver screens.

Tackling: Closes on receivers well when playing off, and will wrap the legs or waist to secure the tackle immediately after the catch. Has the strength to lift receivers off the ground and plant them if in position. Drops his head when tackling in the open field, however, missing if the receiver has any elusiveness.

Intangibles: No major character concerns. Starting to take on a leadership role in the secondary. Good work ethic in the weight room, although it does not always translate on the field. Has three children. Solid kick returner with NFL size and speed but must improve his vision to find open lanes. Needs work on his blocking when in tandem return formation.

--www.*************.com

11/19/09 - SCOUTING THE DEFENSE: Improvement has been steady for the Cowboys. The defense makes correct reads and is often in the right place, while capable of big plays. CB Perrish Cox was the star of the Texas Tech win, intercepting two passes and also breaking up three passes. Oklahoma State allowed a respectable 307 yards through the air, holding Texas Tech far below its 400-yard average, which ranked second nationally. PLAYERS TO WATCH: CB Perrish Cox - The senior was named the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week after grabbing two interceptions against Texas Tech and also breaking up three passes.

11/04/09 - 2009 JIM THORPE AWARD SEMIFINALIST: Oklahoma State senior cornerback Perrish Cox is one of 12 semifinalists for the Jim Thorpe Award, it was announced. The Thorpe Award is presented to the nation's top college defensive back. A first-team midseason All-American by SI.com, Cox leads the nation with 1.86 passes defended per game. Matching up against the opposition's top wide receiver on a weekly basis, Cox has proven himself to be one of the top corners in America. He limited Georgia's A.J. Green to only four catches for 52 yards and no touchdowns in the Cowboys' season-opening win over the Bulldogs. Additionally, he held Texas' Jordan Shipley well below his season averages by limiting the Longhorn star to six catches for 64 yards and no touchdowns. Shipley entered the game averaging 102 receiving yards per contest. Also one of the top return men in the country, Cox is the Big 12's all-time leader in kick return yards. He was the Big 12 special teams player of the week earlier this year after a game-changing 74-yard kick return against Georgia. He is one of four Cowboys so far this season to make the semifinalist list for major awards, joining OL Russell Okung (Rotary Lombardi Award), QB Zac Robinson (Davey O'Brien Award and Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award) and P Quinn Sharp (Ray Guy Award). The Thorpe Award list will be narrowed again on November 23, to three finalists who will be invited to the nationally telecast Home Depot ESPNU College Football Awards Show on December 10. - Oklahoma State football

09/08/09 - BIG 12 WEEK 1 SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Perrish Cox, Oklahoma State, DB/PR/KR, Sr, Waco, Texas...Perrish Cox returned the opening kickoff of the second half 74 yards to set up an Oklahoma State touchdown in its 24-10 win over No. 13 Georgia. It was the ninth return of more than 50 yards in his career. Cox also had a 16-yard punt return and compiled 97 total return yards in the game. - Big 12 football

08/24/09 - Top 10 Senior Prospects: Big 12: 8. Perrish Cox, CB, Oklahoma State, 6-0, 195, 4.44: This Cowboy brings everything a team wants in a starting cornerback: good size, strength and excellent speed. Cox's return skills (2,155 career kickoff return yards, four returned for TDs; 496 punt return yards, one for TD) will contribute not only to special teams, but also give him the chance to change field position on interceptions. The honorable mention All-Big 12 pick has also proven his ball-hawking skills by making six picks and breaking up 21 passes in three seasons. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange

[IMG]http://www.**************.com/images/perrish_cox_interview_feature.jpg[/IMG]

08/06/09 - 2009 THORPE AWARD PRESEASON WATCH LIST: Perrish Cox, Oklahoma State, has been selected one of 31 players to the preseason watch list for the Jim Thorpe Award, which is presented annually to the nation's top college defensive back. Cox leads all active FBS players and holds the Big 12 and OSU record with four career kickoff returns for touchdowns. A starter at cornerback who is closing in on several milestones in the return game and is a returning All-American in that category, he needs just 110 kickoff return yards to set the Big 12 career record. Cox finished the 2008 season with 32 tackles, eight pass break-ups and and two interceptions. - Oklahoma State football

07/24/09 - 2009 PRESEASON ALL-BIG 12 FOOTBALL TEAM (MEDIA): KR Perrish Cox, Oklahoma State 6-0 195 Sr/3L Waco, Texas, has been selected Pre-season All-Big 12 for the 2009 college football season as voted on by media representatives. Cox leads all Football Bowl Subdivision players and holds both the OSU and Big 12 record with four career kickoff returns for touchdowns. - Oklahoma State football

"He can help a team in so many ways, you almost don't know where to start."
                            -- Coach Gundy

...erm... I want this guy. So it will probably NOT happen. lol. :/
                            Last edited by D-Unit; 12-08-2009, 04:15 AM.

Comment

• Lamarr Houston - Texas Longhorn DT 6'2" 300 lbs.

My thoughts: Lamarr Houston was a highly touted player coming out of Colorado Springs. He started his career at DE and played well as a freshman and very well as a sophomore for the Horns. He was asked to bulk up and move inside for his junior year. He trained as a boxer during the 2008 off-season in order to improve his inside techniques. After a slow transition his junior year, he exploded for the Horns as a senior, finishing with 28 QB pressures and 8.0 sacks.

July 2, 2009 - The rest of the Big 12 should consider themselves warned. Lamarr Houston is finally feeling comfortable at defensive tackle. After playing defensive end earlier in his college career, Houston moved inside last season to help fill a hole for Texas. A foot injury and his new surroundings kept him from really ever thriving at the new position last season. (ESPNís Tim Griffin)

2nd Team All-Big XII (2009)

Arguably Houston was the most impressive Longhorn on defense during the BCS Championship game. Although Kindle had the sacks to show for it, Houstonís consistent pressure and run stuffing plays held the Alabama offense in check.

TKLS: 68
                              TFL: 22
                              PD: 4
                              FR: 2
                              Sacks: 8.0
                              28 QB Pressures

Lamarr Houston is currently projected by several draft expert entities to be taken in the 2-3 round range.

I see him moving back to DE in a 3-4 scheme. Would love the chance to take him. He is strong enough to take on the run but elusive enough to put much needed pressure from our DE position.
                              2013 Cowboys Forum Mock
                              - Cleveland Browns GM
                              - Dallas Cowboys GM
                              - Atlanta Falcons GM

Comment

• It's BAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!

Post coming soon...

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information