The 2010 Cowboys Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JoeyHeisman View Post
    To be honest, Scott pretty much hits the nail on the head in his scouting report of Jackson. He's a good tackler for the position, but wasn't as good of a tackler as Arenas, as least not in my opinion. He's a solid bump and run corner, but will bite on a double move. What sets him apart from Arenas is pretty obvious, the near 3 inch height advantage and jumping ability that Jackson possesses.

When he does get beat, he gets ******* beat. He gambles too much at times, and thankfully Alabama had great safeties the past few years to help out. He was really good at covering the intermediate routes though. Short and intermediate, actually. But let me make it clear that him getting beat wasn't a frequent thing. It happened, just like it will happen to any cornerback. He'll have to learn when to gamble, because his recovery speed is average at best.

He can get a bit too physical at times, and I'm afraid that the refs will call against him more often than not in those situations. He is strong as hell for a cornerback though. I think the best 3 things about him are his experience, his upside, and who he played under.

He's started every game since he was a true freshman, so he's had to go against Tebow, Stafford, Snead, Mallet. He's seen some players in his time there. His potential is great, given that he's put in a situation where he's able to develop properly, and learn from players that have been in the league. Him being with Newman would be ideal. And he's played under Nick Saban, enough said.

Nick doesn't play when it comes to defensive backs, so I feel very comfortable in saying that Jackson is A) the most well coached and learned defensive back going into the draft and B) the most receptive to coaching. If a player in college, starting from his true freshman year, can earn significant playing time under Saban and adapt and learn from his aggressive coaching style, then that bodes well for said player. All homerism aside, I think Jackson would be an absolutely phenomenal value pick for us were we to trade down from 27.

Also, off topic, I need help getting this signature to show up. The standard html image embedding isn't cutting it.
    Great explanation. The thing I question that I've read is his lack of a burst. Which will hurt his ability to recover. I don't know enough about him to like him or hate him, but I know a lot of people seem to be really high on him, I just don't know how to get myself sold like they are.

For sigs, you can't use html, use this:
    [img][/img]

Comment

• I love Jackson.

He's a Saban CB, so expect him to be at his best in bump and run man coverage.

Thoughts on Jared Odrick? He could be a solid 5 tech for you guys. Im not always big on Penn State players, but he looks good when he wants to play. If he can live up to his potential, the thoughts of him, Ratliff, Ware and Spencer all rushing the passer are scary.

Comment

• Thank you D. I've been wanting to add this bad boy for quite some time.

BBD, I don't know a whole lot about Odrick, because frankly I hate to watch Big 11 football. But I'm not sure if he's the type of ferocious lineman I feel that we need. We need a pass rusher up front, sure, but Odrick is almost a finesse lineman, isn't he?

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
          I love Jackson.

Thoughts on Jared Odrick? He could be a solid 5 tech for you guys. Im not always big on Penn State players, but he looks good when he wants to play. If he can live up to his potential, the thoughts of him, Ratliff, Ware and Spencer all rushing the passer are scary.
          Yeah i'm coming around on the idea of taking Odrick, but I can't say I'm excited about it. I don't see him as a playmaker, but I feel like he'll be capable and more consistent than say a Carlos Dunlap or Bruce Campbell at least.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeyHeisman View Post
            Thank you D. I've been wanting to add this bad boy for quite some time.

BBD, I don't know a whole lot about Odrick, because frankly I hate to watch Big 11 football. But I'm not sure if he's the type of ferocious lineman I feel that we need. We need a pass rusher up front, sure, but Odrick is almost a finesse lineman, isn't he?
            Another Dallas Cowboy/Orlando Magic fan??? That's amazing! So that you, me, MOTH, Burns... lol.

Comment

• How is it the Mavs fans are outnumbered here? It doesn't add up!

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul View Post
                How is it the Mavs fans are outnumbered here? It doesn't add up!
                It doesnt have to....

Comment

• Two guys that would make me smile late draft

Andrew Tyshovnytsky
                  John Skelton

Small schools -- huge upside

Comment

• Why the hell is it so quite around here? It's 2 days and counting!

Listened to Gosslin on with Norm this morning. Couple of interesting points:

-Will be a 'big' first round. Lots of OL, DL & LBers.

-Only 3 CBs with 1st round grades so it's unlikely that one slides to Dallas.

-He still likes Mays.

-Doesn't think Iupati, Pouncey or Bryant will be there at 27.

-Campbell is NOT a first rounder.

-TE is very deep.

-Tons of value in the middle of this draft, but the back end is weak.

That's all I can think of...
                    In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                      I love Jackson.

I think it will really come down to who is available. Right now I believe he is probably #5 on our list of wants. However if the top 4 are gone he makes a ton of sense. That said it is pretty unlikely he will be on the board at 27.

1- Dez Bryant
                      2- Mike Iupati
                      3- Pouncey
                      4- Odrick
                      5- Taylor Mays
                      6- McCourtey

Comment

• What do you guys think of Saffold?

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                          Why the hell is it so quite around here? It's 2 days and counting!

Listened to Gosslin on with Norm this morning. Couple of interesting points:

-Will be a 'big' first round. Lots of OL, DL & LBers.

-Only 3 CBs with 1st round grades so it's unlikely that one slides to Dallas.

-He still likes Mays.

-Doesn't think Iupati, Pouncey or Bryant will be there at 27.

-Campbell is NOT a first rounder.

-TE is very deep.

-Tons of value in the middle of this draft, but the back end is weak.

That's all I can think of...
                          Thats funny, check out his mock

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...k.33ea398.html

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
                            That is interesting. I'm wondering if he has gotten some more info since he did that which was prob Sat or Sun.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• As far as Dez, If Gosselin and Mosely both think it's a realistic possibility, then it's worth hoping for. I'm also happy to hear Stephen Jones say that they aren't looking to force a pick at safety in round one. Why draft Allen at 27 when you could fall a few spots and probably find a trading partner looking to get a Tebow or McCoy. Either Allen or Burnett will be there in the early 2nd and at worst you could find Reshad Jones or Chad Jones a little later on in the late 2nd early third area.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2010/...trade-imminent
                              Last edited by bluebonnet78; 04-20-2010, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• I wonder if we would look at Everson Griffen at DE? Scott lists him at 6'3.5, 275, but if you look at the guy, he's the type that has to stay in tip top shape to maintain that weight. I think he'll naturally get heavier. He's got a wide base, yet has nice wiggle, ala Warren Sapp. I'd take him over Odrick. How come he hasn't ever been discussed here? Am I that off?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information