Patrick Watkins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrick Watkins

Do you think the organization has given up on Patrick Watkins after one year?

it seems like he will be a career backup

Comment

"Stephen Jones said the Cowboys won't be paying a $10 million signing bonus for a free safety. He said the club still is high on the two young guys they have, Patrick Watkins and Abram Elam. He said if they picked up a veteran safety, it might be later in free agency when the prices come down."

It does not sound like we will draft a FS either.

Comment

Originally posted by nrcirc View Post
        "Stephen Jones said the Cowboys won't be paying a $10 million signing bonus for a free safety. He said the club still is high on the two young guys they have, Patrick Watkins and Abram Elam. He said if they picked up a veteran safety, it might be later in free agency when the prices come down."

hopefully D-Unit doesn't see this.

Comment

Originally posted by nrcirc View Post

Sadly, Elam is a SS. I like both of them. Both are top shelf athletes. Better than Roy W and Davis.

Comment

Originally posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
            Sadly, Elam is a SS. I like both of them. Both are top shelf athletes. Better than Roy W and Davis.
            Better than Roy Williams, are you serious? You need to go back and watch some film on that guy!!!
            2013 Cowboys Forum Mock
            - Cleveland Browns GM
            - Dallas Cowboys GM
            - Atlanta Falcons GM

Comment

I still have hope for him. He will hit his peak in 2 to 3 more years. Unfortunately, patience is tough to come by, especially at that position.

Comment

Originally posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
                over exaggerate much?

Comment

Reports make it sound like Watkins will have his shot to start.

Comment

Watkins is very good and everyone here tends to forget the actuall playing aspect of the game. The best player plays, otherwise some guys would still be playing. If Watkins wins the job in camp and Pre-Season then he will start. If not he will end up being a backup or cut. Much like every other player not getting paid the tp 10 at their position in the league.

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by bigmac076 View Post
                      over exaggerate much?
                      Not really, he ment they were better athletes, which is true. Not better players, but better athletes for sure.

Comment

Definitely not. It's funny to see the way people's perspectives shift over a period of time. This was a hot topic on this board right after the season, and much of the popular sentiment was that Watkins has a chance to be a very good player as soon as next year, but that we might not be able to take the gamble on counting him as our guy for next year.

Now, with the talk of Henry moving to FS and all the speculation regarding Nelson, Griffin and some other DBs in the draft, poor Patrick is being swept under the rug. I, for one, still think there is an excellent chance that he will be an above average guy for us in that position next year, and that we should hedge our bets by taking a guy that can play both CB and S on the first day of the draft. We could let the draft pick play CB, and then closely monitor Watkins' progress during the minicamps and early TC. If Watkins appears to be clearly unfit for the starting FS spot, then you can move Henry there and plug the CB gap with the draft pick.

Either way you slice it, I don't think it will end up being a problem. I, for one, am much more concerned about getting younger/deeper at CB for next year and beyond than I am about whether Watkins will develop. I have seen enough from him to be confident that he will be a nice player eventually.
                        Originally posted by 21ST
                        He was protecting his self
                        Originally posted by tjsunstein
                        From what? His leg?
                        Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                        That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                        "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

No, that is not true. You don't get taken 8th overall at a position like safety without being top shelf athletically. Roy may have lost a half step by putting on that extra 10-15 pounds, but no more than that.
                          Originally posted by 21ST
                          He was protecting his self
                          Originally posted by tjsunstein
                          From what? His leg?
                          Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                          That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                          "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

I guess your right, but at 6'5, running a 4.42 (which is what watkins ran), is pretty impressive.

Comment

Mod D-Unit, could you please clear your PM box?

thanks

-sig by jkpigskin

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information