Week 4: Cowboys @ Broncos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by locseti View Post
    wow, I can't believe he didn't know it was 4th down....
    Clarence Hill's job is to make money by making news. I won't believe this unless it comes from a better source. Folks, we're talking PFT here...

Comment

Ya but if he does do that on the field -flashes three with his fingers to the ref and tries to hurry the linemen - I'd be inclined to believe that he really thought it was third down, with the spike play failing to register.
      Last edited by locseti; 10-05-2009, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Ya but if he does do that on the field -flashes three with his fingers to the ref and tries to hurry the linemen - I'd be inclined to believe that he really thought it was third down, with the spike play failing to register.
        Oh well. Stupid Tony. I guess I might've missed that with the chow mein noodles splattered across my TV screen.

Why do I make excuses for the guy? Haha... Whatevers. He's still a good QB in my mind.

Comment

I agree with MOTH, Romo has been forced to play the captain checkdown role. Do you remember the last few seasons? We were good on offense because we were able to get big plays. This year it's completely different, it seems that we can't pass the ball to save our life. Romo must forget the Giants' game and start doing what he does best which is taking chances. During a game, a couple of years ago, Aikman said that Romo was always looking for the big play. He doesn't do that anymore, he doesn't look downfield and he prefers to check down... When we went 13-3 it was also because we were reckless on offense. Romo is not Tom Brady (before Randy Moss), he's more like Brett Favre. He will make some bonehead throws but he will also tear some defenses apart, so you gotta take the good with the bad.
          Romo is a gunslinger and he has to play as a gunslinger to be successful. Infact which one was his best play against the Broncos? The fourth down conversion to Hurd, which was a classic Romo's play. This is Romo, he's no Trent Edwards. So if we want to be explosive on offense, we need to unleash him. Yes, he will cost us some games just like in week 2, but we will win a lot more games.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

Originally posted by Modano View Post
            I agree with MOTH, Romo has been forced to play the captain checkdown role. Do you remember the last few seasons? We were good on offense because we were able to get big plays. This year it's completely different, it seems that we can't pass the ball to save our life. Romo must forget the Giants' game and start doing what he does best which is taking chances. During a game, a couple of years ago, Aikman said that Romo was always looking for the big play. He doesn't do that anymore, he doesn't look downfield and he prefers to check down... When we went 13-3 it was also because we were reckless on offense. Romo is not Tom Brady (before Randy Moss), he's more like Brett Favre. He will make some bonehead throws but he will also tear some defenses apart, so you gotta take the good with the bad.
            Romo is a gunslinger and he has to play as a gunslinger to be successful. Infact which one was his best play against the Broncos? The fourth down conversion to Hurd, which was a classic Romo's play. This is Romo, he's no Trent Edwards. So if we want to be explosive on offense, we need to unleash him. Yes, he will cost us some games just like in week 2, but we will win a lot more games.
            This is what is called a false choice. You present two extremes in order to make your point stronger but fact is ....

Look, saying being more reckless is going to help Romo or the team is asinine. But I will lay out to you and few things I have noticed that needs resolutions ..

1. OL needs to focus on opening up passing lanes. Tony has an OK arm and is short. This OL does a poor job of creating space between rushers where the WR might be on timing routes (Zampese bread and butter). It explains our inability to hit those types of routes which is shocking.

2. He has a bad grip on the ball and I am not sure if his hands are weak, small or he might need gloves to give him some girth and length. He throws some bad flutters which are usually indicative of a bd grip.

3. Step INTO throws. I amm so sick of seeing him throw off his back foot. He does it like 80% of the time and with pressure ---- his arm moves forward and body is moving backwards.

4. Any chance we can encourage him to RUN when the mental clock hits 3 seconds. All to often now he scrambles and throws these turd passes. Frankly I would be happier to see him get the first down with his feet. It actually helps him get bigger plays down field b/c if he threatens the LB they move forward and so do the safeties.

If you are football fan you also would understand that points 1/3/4 are solved with a WCO concept and play to his strengths.

I also strongly think bringing Garrett in was a huge mistake. His DNA is Dan Marino/ Troy -- classic pocket passers who could see over the OL and zip the ball into tight spots. I can not remember Garrett calling a play that moves the pocket, or a roll out, or boot leg. Everything is Tony stationary.

Sparano and Parcells made sure TR had passing lanes, moved him some and he ran when the pocket broke down. Just go back to 2006 and 2007. He got a lot of big first downs with his feet. Now -- nothing.

To me this proves the superiority of the Cowboys Staff under Parcells. The superiority of what they taught and implemented. They understood strengths as well as weaknesses and game planned around it.

This staff from Wade to Garrett are stuck with "my system" much more so. Garrett wants Tony to be Brady and Wade loves playing soft zones with lots of blitzing.

With that said, Romo is still a flake and he is 90% to blame. If he is "as smart as people say" he needs to assure his own success by molding the play book and the calls by JG.

But he is Mr Second Place and Mr Second Place is just happy with mediocrity.
            Last edited by herniateddisc; 10-06-2009, 08:22 AM.

Comment

wow, I can't believe he didn't know it was 4th down....
              Worse than not knowing the down no. that big-ass numeral on the marker in plain view & on the scoreboard on that 4th & goal was hurrying the throws to a wide open receiver, to both Crayton vs. the Giants & Hurd I think in Denver, in the freaking end zone. He threw it so hard it went thru their open hands.

That tells me he is overcompensating by throwing it way too hard b/c he's feeling the heat, desperate need for scoring when the clock is down to single digits, so he zips it too hard. All of which is not thinking with a clear head & cool demeanor. It's called folding under pressure, worst QB performance flaw in a Dallas QB since Danny White after 2 concussions.

That's 12 points cost the team, & that's on nobody but Romo. Are we seeing once again just exactly why he was an UDFA?
              Last edited by LizardState; 10-06-2009, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
                This is what is called a false choice. You present two extremes in order to make your point stronger but fact is ....

Look, saying being more reckless is going to help Romo or the team is asinine. But I will lay out to you and few things I have noticed that needs resolutions ..

1. OL needs to focus on opening up passing lanes. Tony has an OK arm and is short. This OL does a poor job of creating space between rushers where the WR might be on timing routes (Zampese bread and butter). It explains our inability to hit those types of routes which is shocking.

2. He has a bad grip on the ball and I am not sure if his hands are weak, small or he might need gloves to give him some girth and length. He throws some bad flutters which are usually indicative of a bd grip.

3. Step INTO throws. I amm so sick of seeing him throw off his back foot. He does it like 80% of the time and with pressure ---- his arm moves forward and body is moving backwards.

4. Any chance we can encourage him to RUN when the mental clock hits 3 seconds. All to often now he scrambles and throws these turd passes. Frankly I would be happier to see him get the first down with his feet. It actually helps him get bigger plays down field b/c if he threatens the LB they move forward and so do the safeties.

If you are football fan you also would understand that points 1/3/4 are solved with a WCO concept and play to his strengths.

I also strongly think bringing Garrett in was a huge mistake. His DNA is Dan Marino/ Troy -- classic pocket passers who could see over the OL and zip the ball into tight spots. I can not remember Garrett calling a play that moves the pocket, or a roll out, or boot leg. Everything is Tony stationary.

Sparano and Parcells made sure TR had passing lanes, moved him some and he ran when the pocket broke down. Just go back to 2006 and 2007. He got a lot of big first downs with his feet. Now -- nothing.

To me this proves the superiority of the Cowboys Staff under Parcells. The superiority of what they taught and implemented. They understood strengths as well as weaknesses and game planned around it.

This staff from Wade to Garrett are stuck with "my system" much more so. Garrett wants Tony to be Brady and Wade loves playing soft zones with lots of blitzing.

With that said, Romo is still a flake and he is 90% to blame. If he is "as smart as people say" he needs to assure his own success by molding the play book and the calls by JG.

But he is Mr Second Place and Mr Second Place is just happy with mediocrity.
                Good read Bob. But I haven't heard in a long time anyone calling Romo a smart QB. Asking a QB to go rogue on the playbook is pretty unrealistic. I love Parcells and his crew. Always have. Always will. But he is not without mistake either. No one is. There is no perfect coach who never gets criticized. But we got out of Parcells everything that we were going to. He's not a guy who wins. He's just a guy who turns things around. That's what he does. ...and that's what he did here. He wasn't going to take us to the next level. Up until this year, Wade actually did take the ball and ran with it pretty good. But I think we're seeing that he's not the guy either. With so many good HCs out there, there's no way Wade is our HC next year. I'm just hoping the next guy (Cowher, Shanny, Holmgren, Gruden, Billick, etc) is the right guy.

Out of curiosity if you could pick one, who would you go with?

Comment

My choices would be Holmgren, Shanny, Cowher, Gruden & billick in that order.

I think the most important thing is to get a guy in that will maximize Tony. That's our only hope to get back to a SB.

Also, my absolute first pick would be Fisher, but I doubt Tenn lets him go.
                  In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

I would like Gruden first and Shanny 2nd.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                      Good read Bob. But I haven't heard in a long time anyone calling Romo a smart QB.
                      I don't think I called him that but others have.

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                      Asking a QB to go rogue on the playbook is pretty unrealistic.
                      What I am saying is a Leader goes to the Coach and says "Not working" and these plays don't suit my strengths let us do this this and this.

I love Parcells and his crew. Always have. Always will. But he is not without mistake either. No one is. There is no perfect coach who never gets criticized. But we got out of Parcells everything that we were going to. He's not a guy who wins. He's just a guy who turns things around. That's what he does.
                      As much as I disagreed with some of Parcells moves he is a winner and produces winners. So we strongly disagree.

But my point was his staff was much smarter (credit Duane) and if anything they we limited by Parcells himself (debit Duane)

...and that's what he did here. He wasn't going to take us to the next level. Up until this year, Wade actually did take the ball and ran with it pretty good.
                      We are 12-12 since starting 2007 12-1. So, Wade is sucking mule donkey scrotum.

But I think we're seeing that he's not the guy either. With so many good HCs out there, there's no way Wade is our HC next year. I'm just hoping the next guy (Cowher, Shanny, Holmgren, Gruden, Billick, etc) is the right guy. Out of curiosity if you could pick one, who would you go with?
                      Pesonally, I would only get Shanahan or Gruden IFFFFFFFFF we plan on building a 5 year plan around a 29 year old Tony Turnover. Not a Holmgren fan. Not a Billick fan. Not a Cowher fan. Seen them out coached all too often.

I would however be strongly in favor of a Fresh Face who will rip some nut sacks off even going the college route. Brian Kelley at Cin for example.

Comment

• Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
                        I don't think I called him that but others have.

What I am saying is a Leader goes to the Coach and says "Not working" and these plays don't suit my strengths let us do this this and this.

As much as I disagreed with some of Parcells moves he is a winner and produces winners. So we strongly disagree.

But my point was his staff was much smarter (credit Duane) and if anything they we limited by Parcells himself (debit Duane)

We are 12-12 since starting 2007 12-1. So, Wade is sucking mule donkey scrotum.

Pesonally, I would only get Shanahan or Gruden IFFFFFFFFF we plan on building a 5 year plan around a 29 year old Tony Turnover. Not a Holmgren fan. Not a Billick fan. Not a Cowher fan. Seen them out coached all too often.

I would however be strongly in favor of a Fresh Face who will rip some nut sacks off even going the college route. Brian Kelley at Cin for example.
                        I think I'm finally liking the tone and content of our discussions. Brian Kelley is the MAN, but I have a hard time trusting in college coaches. Especially after Saban flunked.

I like the stud coordinators to be honest, but I think they're tough to sift through because they don't have a track record. I still wish we landed Mike Singletary instead of Wade.

Comment

• My only problem with bringing a fresh face in is the Jerry factor. If it's some guy with no NFL HC credentials, there's no way Jerry's gonna just let him do his thing. Campo and Gailey were puppets. Do we want that again?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
                            My only problem with bringing a fresh face in is the Jerry factor. If it's some guy with no NFL HC credentials, there's no way Jerry's gonna just let him do his thing. Campo and Gailey were puppets. Do we want that again?
                            No we don't. You're dead on with that Jerry factor. It's also why I think we could be doomed and go down the same path with Garrett as HC. It'd be Campo/Gailey all over again.

I'm just happy that there are good HC candidates on the shelf. I've always been a fan of Jack Del Rio and John Fox too. I think they could get fired.

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information