Trade Deadline Talk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E-Man View Post
    Safety is a more pressing need, but are we sure that Huff is the guy to change things? I know he had a lot of hype from college, but he hasn't been all that stellar in the pros unless he's turned it on this year. I wouldn't mind having a guy with his talent, but I wouldn't put much stock in him changing things.
    Not sure at all, just talking priorities really. Huff was used as an example in comparison to Asomugha b/c they're both Raiders. I think there is definitely an effect a franchise can have on a player in clouding their talent. Jeff Garcia looked terrible in Detroit and Cleveland. KW2 and Braylon Edwards both weren't looking great for large stretches of their time in Cleveland. Leonard Davis was misused and unmotivated in Arizona. I think any time you're evaluating talent of a guy who plays for a dysfunctional franchise, you have to wonder what they could do in a better situation. That said, I'll again repeat that I don't necessarily think Huff is our answer. I don't know what the answer is, but I'm warming up to USF's Nate Allen. Obviously I'd be thrilled with Berry or Mays (and I do think we'll have a shot at one of them without trading up majorly). But Nate Allen would be a consolation prize I'd be excited about.

In general, my preference would be to draft and develop our own talent. I think Hamlin at SS would be ideal for him, and finding a true center fielding safety with solid instincts. I think that is what made Woodson successful for us. He wasn't necessarily the fastest Ed Reed-type safety, but he was smart, and I think it was the Tuna who once said that smart players play fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
      Is Spencer playing that badly and/or that ineffective a pass rusher, that he's not better than a gimped Merriman?
      Right now we are missing Greg Ellis. ...and it hurts to say that considering how much bashing I gave him throughout his time here.

Never cared for Spencer, but allowed myself to get convinced by his senior numbers, scout reports and the guys here that he might be better than I thought.

So now, I'm back at square one unless he turns things around this season.

If I could get Merriman, there's no mistake he'd be an upgrade in my eyes. None at all. Merriman is better than what people are seeing of him so far this season. But I understand how you can think he's already washed up. More and more people are leaning that way. Just not me...yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Modano View Post
        I'm always optimistic so be careful with my words but I think he's getting better. Just like Ware he had some games where he was just half a step late, but I think he's getting closer to a big game. Brooking said a few days ago that Spencer is "right around the corner from being a game-changing player" so I hope he's right.
        The one who's playing, as usually, so badly is Carpenter.
        Good to hear those words from Brooking. Thanks for mentioning that. Now... we have to see it, but that's positive leadership by Brooking (once again).

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
          I would rather see us try and trade for a guy like Huff if Oakland is giving anyone away. Asomugha would be nice, but necessary? I think right now safety is a more pressing need.
          I dunno. It's becoming more and more clear to me that Newman is on the decline and his value is diminshing as we speak. I'd be happy to unload him and his contract in exchange for a better player at a similar price. Whatever we have to give Al to be happy... a pick or lesser player... then I'm down for it. Newman's value will be zero sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
            You have guys like Hamlin, Flo and Romo costing us games but Carpenter gets the lash!!!!

Forrest, Trees.
            Carpenter is USELESS. Romo is still a good QB and he can still win some games, while Flozell...well Flozell is Flozell, but we don't have better options... yes his penalties are huge (and they have always been huge) but he also shuts down some good DEs, like Peppers against the Panthers.
            But Carpenter is just plain useless, he can't do anything on a football field.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

You have guys like Hamlin, Flo and Romo costing us games but Carpenter gets the lash!!!!

Forrest, Trees.
              Got to agree with HD here. No replacements for Romo or Flozell, Carpenter is useless fluff we throw in like a cherry on top to seal a deal.

I think we pass on Merriman b/c he may well not be back to 100% from the knee injury. Asomugha is too expensive, but Derrick Johnson is affordable, is Spencer & Carpenter for Johnson doable?

Comment

Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                Got to agree with HD here. No replacements for Romo or Flozell, Carpenter is useless fluff we throw in like a cherry on top to seal a deal.

I think we pass on Merriman b/c he may well not be back to 100% from the knee injury. Asomugha is too expensive, but Derrick Johnson is affordable, is Spencer & Carpenter for Johnson doable?
                Hasn't Johnson been benched in KC? If so, that's too much for a player who may be cut soon. Maybe Johnson could be had for a low draft choice.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                  . But I understand how you can think he's already washed up. More and more people are leaning that way. Just not me...yet.
                  You know, he's only 25! I think when he gets fully healthy, he's going get back to rushing the passer.
                  In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

I'm not ready to say Merriman is washed up, but he sure doesn't look his normal self. Not at all, he's missing a lot of the explosion, speed, and power he used to have.

AJ Smith and the Chargers wanted him to get the knee surgery after the 2007 postseason, but he refused and failed miserably at the start of the 2008 season trying to play with it. He not only screwed himself but he screwed his team for 2008, and now 2009 as well. Don't forget how much of a dip**** this guy still is and always will be.

I'd ask if the Cowboys have a young undersized linebacker they can put in to pass rush, but if I vaguely recall they are probably on IR. Still, I'd save the draft pick and look elsewhere ... probably take a flier on former Colts DE Marcus Howard (6-0/235), the kid is a speed demon.

Btw how's fellow former Colts DE Curtis Johnson working out for you guys? He's got pass rushing potential too.
                    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Merriman sounds like the perfect player the cowboys would go after, you know the ones who are hurt or playing badly but have a good name so even though Jerry isn't sure if that player can play he still sends 4 draft picks to them and then resigns that player to a blockbuster deal!

Comment

I think Merriman in Dallas being "dissed" by SD and told "rehab and play next year" becomes a monster in 2010.

Problem is .... we don't have cash to sign 22 Pro-Bowlers which is how most Cowboy fans think Jerrah should manage.

Comment

I think Merriman in Dallas being "dissed" by SD and told "rehab and play next year" becomes a monster in 2010.

Problem is .... we don't have cash to sign 22 Pro-Bowlers which is how most Cowboy fans think Jerrah should manage.
                          It works in Madden!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
                            It works in Madden!!!
                            Yeah we are getting Merriman, Wolfork, Lee Evans plus the draft.

NY Yankees of football.

Comment

We have so much dead weight in cap it's ridiculous... Flozell, Hamlin, Newman, Bradie... but that's besides the point. Jerry is masterful with the cap. Always has been. Never thought we were trading for Roy Williams last year... he made it happen. So as Madden as it sounds, it's more a fact of Jerry not wanting to make it happen than it not being possible.

Then we have the whole uncapped year thingamagig...
                              Last edited by D-Unit; 10-17-2009, 01:29 AM.

Comment

We have so much dead weight in cap it's ridiculous
                                OK

Jerry is masterful with the cap. Always has been.
                                But, I thought we had so much dead weight?

... Flozell, Hamlin, Newman, Bradie... but that's besides the point.
                                Yeah those were bad signings.

Never thought we were trading for Roy Williams last year... he made it happen.
                                But, that was a horrible trade and sign too. It was god awful the worst since Joey Galloway and Roy SS Williams.

He made it happen alright.

So as Madden as it sounds, it's more a fact of Jerry not wanting to make it happen than it not being possible. Then we have the whole uncapped year thingamagig...
                                There is no doubt the Jerrah is a delusional egoist and would create all sorts of horrible trade ans sign scenarios if FELT LIKE IT.

Roy was the classic Jerrah way over reaction spending 10X what was needed while not really addressing the basic problem. There is like a disgruntled WR every year that can be had for a second rounder and some change -- easily Boldin last and Edwards this year.

Now I know most fans would never have thought it a good idea but if he had simply cut TO and had an eye for talent ...... we could have had Austin starting last year with Crayton and we could have had a 1 and 3 this past draft.

1 and 3 plus all those OTHER picks could have been Unger and Maualuga in the second or even Loadhoalt.

Imagine -- Loadholt, Unger and Maualuga. Would have been possible with the picks we had that we pissed away drafting STers in the 4th round..

Jones is really only marginally brighter than Al Davis. Breathless really in the magnitude of his incompetence and even moreso the fans who stick up for him.

As I have said, if you worked for a boss like Jerrah Jones you would go home every night screaming at his arrogance and crying over his stupidity.
                                Last edited by herniateddisc; 10-17-2009, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information