Who here likes Ed Werner?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
    What??? NO way man. Denver got amazing compensation for him. Dallas ate a $9M cap hit with nothing in return.
    The unknown that they had at QB was a far more dramatic turn for a team. Look at this way, who was more upset when they got rid of their player? Denver or Dallas fans? What McDaniels did was so more dramatic and ballsy than what Jones did. The whole city of Denver was ready to mutiny and they wanted him fired before he even coached one game.
    #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

To me, this is great news. Crayton shouldn't be listed among the WRs that have great potential for the future. I think his future sucks.
      I think it was you, but I vaguely recall, that was really big on him back in 07. Saying he was one of the best #2 receivers in the league. Glad you see him for what he is, an okay #3.

I think I just put 1 and 1 together.

Patrick Crayton is Ed Werder's rat!
      Seriously I think you nailed it. It fits, for both guys. It really fits.

The Cowboys should kick Crayton's ass to the curb for this ****.

I have a theory that, when you do have your guy at quarterback, he should be older than most if not all of the receivers. They need to look up to him, it cannot be the other way around. That's a big part of how the dynamic should be.

The one exception is if the still relatively young and talented receiver is a motivated player who was around for a horrible season or two horrible seasons, so he's thankful for the new QB and is even further motivated to not get back to that level of failure (Michael Irvin, Marvin Harrison). Calvin Johnson might fit the profile, I guess Andre Johnson does too.

Or if you just have a dedicated worker like Hines Ward or Issac Bruce, he's a pro who will take care of his business. That would also work, if you have that guy.

For example I thought/think Carson Palmer will be better off without TJ Houshmandzaeh and Chad Johnson. Those egos take away from him, the bigger ego of the two was always Housh, I hated him for it. Even though he was an effective player, you're seeing how things are better for the Bengals now without him, and with Chad keeping himself in line and following Carson's lead for the time being. Now if the Bengals want to run the ball with Benson 5 out of 7 plays, they can do that no problem.

A receiver can never dictate to the quarterback, that goes against the flow of good football. The ball is in the quarterback's hands on every play, he and the offensive coordinator must dictate how things go. If the flow of good football says Romo doesn't complete a pass to Witten until 3 minutes left in the second quarter, so be it, Witten shouldn't say jack **** and should run every route like he is going to get the ball on that play. That's how it should be.

The problems with Terrell Owens were two-fold:

(1) Him dictating to Romo and Garrett, and even if he wasn't actively dictating to them, his presence dictated to them. Screws up the dynamic. You never say how do I get the ball in so-and-so's hands, you say how can we convert this third down, how can we score points.

(2) Also not only did Owens not look up to Tony Romo, the younger receivers were looking up to Owens more than Romo. Crayton is past the point of no return. Sam Hurd and Miles Austin, you guys would know better than me, although given how glowingly Hurd speaks of TO I think he might have reached that point. Not so much Austin?

Roy Williams, well, good luck with that. Although I'll say this for Roy, I don't remember him ever having an attitude antagonistic to any of his quarterbacks in Detroit. I don't recall that, so there is that.

PS. I also thought Irvin was great in the QB-WR dynamic sense for another reason, but I've derailed enough. A Bill Simmons-esque derailing, I might add.
      Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
        I think it was you, but I vaguely recall, that was really big on him back in 07. Saying he was one of the best #2 receivers in the league. Glad you see him for what he is, an okay #3.

Seriously I think you nailed it. It fits, for both guys. It really fits.

The Cowboys should kick Crayton's ass to the curb for this ****.

I have a theory that, when you do have your guy at quarterback, he should be older than most if not all of the receivers. They need to look up to him, it cannot be the other way around. That's a big part of how the dynamic should be.

The one exception is if the still relatively young and talented receiver is a motivated player who was around for a horrible season or two horrible seasons, so he's thankful for the new QB and is even further motivated to not get back to that level of failure (Michael Irvin, Marvin Harrison). Calvin Johnson might fit the profile, I guess Andre Johnson does too.

Or if you just have a dedicated worker like Hines Ward or Issac Bruce, he's a pro who will take care of his business. That would also work, if you have that guy.

For example I thought/think Carson Palmer will be better off without TJ Houshmandzaeh and Chad Johnson. Those egos take away from him, the bigger ego of the two was always Housh, I hated him for it. Even though he was an effective player, you're seeing how things are better for the Bengals now without him, and with Chad keeping himself in line and following Carson's lead for the time being. Now if the Bengals want to run the ball with Benson 5 out of 7 plays, they can do that no problem.

A receiver can never dictate to the quarterback, that goes against the flow of good football. The ball is in the quarterback's hands on every play, he and the offensive coordinator must dictate how things go. If the flow of good football says Romo doesn't complete a pass to Witten until 3 minutes left in the second quarter, so be it, Witten shouldn't say jack **** and should run every route like he is going to get the ball on that play. That's how it should be.

The problems with Terrell Owens were two-fold:

(1) Him dictating to Romo and Garrett, and even if he wasn't actively dictating to them, his presence dictated to them. Screws up the dynamic. You never say how do I get the ball in so-and-so's hands, you say how can we convert this third down, how can we score points.

(2) Also not only did Owens not look up to Tony Romo, the younger receivers were looking up to Owens more than Romo. Crayton is past the point of no return. Sam Hurd and Miles Austin, you guys would know better than me, although given how glowingly Hurd speaks of TO I think he might have reached that point. Not so much Austin?

Roy Williams, well, good luck with that. Although I'll say this for Roy, I don't remember him ever having an attitude antagonistic to any of his quarterbacks in Detroit. I don't recall that, so there is that.

PS. I also thought Irvin was great in the QB-WR dynamic sense for another reason, but I've derailed enough. A Bill Simmons-esque derailing, I might add.
        I have said a lot of things of which I was wrong regarding the Cowboys. But my thing is... I can always defend what I say "in the moment". Looking back, yeah... I'm not too prideful to be the guy that says "I'm never wrong". Prior to Crayton's injuries, he used to be our deep threat guy. He used to be the guy on our team with "the best hands". He used to be a guy who didn't seek media attention. Now that is not the case. He's none of those. He thinks he's "arrived". That's the problem. Even before the season started, he tried to act like a "big man on campus"... coming on the field last during spring training... trying to give himself any extra attention... acted like the starting job was his and his only... All this Post-TO, mind you. Yeah... Crayton thought he could come in and "be the man". Well, reality has hit him in the face and now he's trying to work "his connections" with Ed to spin it to make it seem like things were "unfair" to him.

Gig's up kid. It's over.

Comment

Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
          FWIW, I like Werder. RW does suck so far.

But Crayton is after-birth and no better than Hurd on the field.

So ... I like Austin, RW.
          I agree with hd that Royboy hasnt lived up to expectations when Jerry gave away the ranch for him. Benching, uhhh no (throws baby out the door with bathwater)

Werder is usually the Cowboys apologist for some headline-grabbing story. It spoiled Werder, TO in Dallas was a godsend to his ESPN career as the Dallas beat reporter, but he's gone now. It wouldn't be the 1st time an ESPN throat played fast & loose with facts or published an outrageous theory for public consumption. He has to be creative now with a lackluster HC like Phillips & a formerly great, talent-laden team that's mired in mediocrity.

Comment

I actually like D's take on this. Crayton seems like the rat of the locker room.

Comment

To comment on the title: no one. no one likes Ed Werner.

Also, bring Michael Irvin back on TV, ESPN!

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information