Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cowboys @ Giants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    I have been critical of him throwing a little too much at times and he clearly did make a mistake on that goal line scenario. But again, almost every team in the league is having this same discussion.

    You still can't ignore the fact that this team moves the ball really well on the whole.

    We have three backs who all average 5 yards per carry but, the passing game will always be numero uno, despite match up. There is no reason why Dallas shouldnt be one of the best running teams in the nfl.
    They are! We are #6 in the league in rushing.
    In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.


    -Douglas MacArthur

    Comment


    • #47
      Just to jump in on this conversation. Another stat that is killer and points right at the OC is.

      The Cowboys are among four NFL teams that have not scored a touchdown on their first possessions this season. Cleveland, Kansas City and San Francisco -- a combined 9-24 -- are the other slow-starting teams.

      For the season, Kansas City and the Cowboys are tied for the fewest points on the first possessions. In 11 games, each teams' opening drive has resulted in a total of three points. New Orleans leads the league with 41 points in its 11 first possessions.

      The Cowboys got their opening-possession points in the season opener at Tampa Bay. In 10 games since then, the Cowboys opening possessions have ended with eight punts and two missed field goals.
      I'm sorry but you can usually script a first drive. No excuse to not have a single TD. We are in the same league as teams where we have 5x as much talent on the offensive side of the ball. JG is young and head strong. He could use humbling.

      Comment


      • #48
        I feel like this team moves the ball on offense despite Garrett. I feel like he is handcuffing the talent and not utilizing them best. Stats paint pictures of the past. Not of what could've been.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
          I have been critical of him throwing a little too much at times and he clearly did make a mistake on that goal line scenario. But again, almost every team in the league is having this same discussion.

          You still can't ignore the fact that this team moves the ball really well on the whole.



          They are! We are #6 in the league in rushing.
          Yet we are 19th in attemts!

          Your stat about not being a power rushing team I think holds little weight. We are first in the league in 1st down % rushing...

          Comment


          • #50
            Yes, but guess what? We're 20th in rushing attempts. Common sense, if the running game is working, you stick with it. Garrett abandons it the first chance he gets. I've said before, the actual plays themselves arent the problem, most of the time. Garrett is freaking pass happy and a beyond awful play caller in red zone and especially, goal line situations. It doesnt take a genius...he's too smart for his own good, he tries to get too cute all the time.

            Thanks BoneKrusher^

            http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
            KO KNOWS

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
              I have been critical of him throwing a little too much at times and he clearly did make a mistake on that goal line scenario. But again, almost every team in the league is having this same discussion.

              You still can't ignore the fact that this team moves the ball really well on the whole.

              They are! We are #6 in the league in rushing.
              At times... That goaline... c'mon now. Ginger panics too much and passes when he panics. ...and it's waaaaay more than one goalline mistake that he has committed in the past. Every team's faults shouldn't justify his.

              This team moves the ball well...? Did you see the Green Bay and Washington games?

              Ginger will fail us in the playoffs.

              Comment


              • #52
                Oh and how about his going into shot gun on every other 3rd and 1 now? What the hell is that? You have Barber, just give him the ball out of the I.

                Thanks BoneKrusher^

                http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                KO KNOWS

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                  Saying you'd take him over Gilbride isnt exactly a glowing endorsement. haha. Garrett legitimately hurts our team throughout games. His red zone and goal line play calling is horrendous. 1st and goal on the one yard line. Let's pass three times in a row, despite having Marion Barber back there. Oh and while we're passing, lets not even have both TEs go out. We should be a fantastic red zone team and goal line team and yet, we're not. Barber and the TEs are secondary for whatever reason. He tries to get way too cute and his pass first mentality makes him awfully predictable. He really does become obsessed with the passing game.

                  He's even admitted to forgetting about Felix Jones in games. He doesnt know how to use the talent he has. We have three backs who all average 5 yards per carry but, the passing game will always be numero uno, despite match up. There is no reason why Dallas shouldnt be one of the best running teams in the nfl. NFL match up also had a nice little piece on Garrett's failure to adjust his play calling to the blitz as well. Romo is the most heavily blitzed QB in the league. He is getting hit more than ever and there is always a man free coming right at him and this is almost a constant. And forget about any mass protections...we have to have 4 guys going out all times running deep routes. And Garrett never holds himself accountable for anything. He's normally no where to be found after one of his head scratcher play calling days. As has been noted by the Dallas Morning News. Garrett def. has some good ideas but, we can do a helluva lot better, I def. feel we put up good yardage despite having Garrett...he has cost us many a game before and he will again. It's hard to trust him.
                  That is a great point. He never steps up and takes accountablility.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                    Saying you'd take him over Gilbride isnt exactly a glowing endorsement. haha. Garrett legitimately hurts our team throughout games. His red zone and goal line play calling is horrendous. 1st and goal on the one yard line. Let's pass three times in a row, despite having Marion Barber back there. Oh and while we're passing, lets not even have both TEs go out. We should be a fantastic red zone team and goal line team and yet, we're not. Barber and the TEs are secondary for whatever reason. He tries to get way too cute and his pass first mentality makes him awfully predictable. He really does become obsessed with the passing game.

                    He's even admitted to forgetting about Felix Jones in games. He doesnt know how to use the talent he has. We have three backs who all average 5 yards per carry but, the passing game will always be numero uno, despite match up. There is no reason why Dallas shouldnt be one of the best running teams in the nfl. NFL match up also had a nice little piece on Garrett's failure to adjust his play calling to the blitz as well. Romo is the most heavily blitzed QB in the league. He is getting hit more than ever and there is always a man free coming right at him and this is almost a constant. And forget about any mass protections...we have to have 4 guys going out all times running deep routes. And Garrett never holds himself accountable for anything. He's normally no where to be found after one of his head scratcher play calling days. As has been noted by the Dallas Morning News. Garrett def. has some good ideas but, we can do a helluva lot better, I def. feel we put up good yardage despite having Garrett...he has cost us many a game before and he will again. It's hard to trust him.


                    It's Ironic, because we have the opposite problem! We run 3 times in a row! hahaha. And then we get opposing fans come on and say Eli this and Eli that. But we would rather run the ball and fail, then throw a 1, 2, or 3 yard TD pass and you know what? Pad his stats a bit. If we threw the ball we win the Chargers game. Instead we run the ball, get a holding penalty and run some more out of shotgun, and then kick a FG go up 6. They score, and win. That's our boy Gilbride, that fool. Maybe you guys should get him, and we can take JG. After all his family is from here, so it may work! : P

                    That's the thing you guys are no a running game. There is a reason why I expect Romo to get over 300 yards passing in a game. When I see that I am not surprised. If Eli does that, in our system, I am over joyed. Then I think why did he have so many yards? What happened to our running game? When I see Romo throw 2 or 3 TDs and throw for 300 yards, I am thinking that's par for the course he is playing in.

                    Now the same thing I tell our fans. The call sheet you guys have game for game reflects your system. Maybe you guys don't have enough running plays in the red zone. Maybe most of the plays are passing because he feels like you should be able to execute. You have 3 backs like you said, and 1 all pro TE, a good WR corps, and a mobile QB to run it if no one is open. I'd be pretty confident too. Then again, I don't mind passing on the goal line. After watching our team run 3 straight times and kick a FG, it sort of gets to you.

                    Of course Romo is blitzed a lot. He is a gun slinger and is prone to making mistakes. On top of that your system is a passing system, so therefore it's logical for them to blitz you. Are they to sit back and let him own the defense with all the weapons you guys have?

                    Like I said no coach is perfect and there are a lot more OCs I am sure worse off than JG. One of them is our OC!

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      I'm not saying we have to be a heavy running team, but we resort to low success rates when we pass on short yardage situations. Our redzone offense is bad... but our goalline is worse. Shotgun all the time also frustrates me. At least by lining up under center, you keep the defenses guessing and makes our offense less predicatble.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by thule View Post
                        Yet we are 19th in attemts!

                        Your stat about not being a power rushing team I think holds little weight. We are first in the league in 1st down % rushing...

                        I think those numbers are very real and over the last 3 years, it's a large enough sample size.

                        We are a pretty good running team, but we are not a power rushing team. That is reality.

                        As for attempts, keep in mind our run pass ratio this year is closer to 50/50 than it was the last 2 years so I think he is running the ball more.

                        But guys, Aikman has said this over and over again. Running the ball is important, but you score points in this league by getting chunks of yardage in the passing game. I think the thing that has hampered us a little this year is the consistency with our new #1 WR, Austin. He's been really good, then disappear. I think the more he plays, the more that will even out and will directly result in the offense being more productive, IMO. I think this offense will get better as Austin gets more and more comfortable week to week.

                        Look, I'm not saying that JG is red Jesus and can do no wrong. I just think he gets criticized too much because if you look back over the last 3 years, his offense moves the ball really well. It's like the Romo in December thing; when you don't have success, people want to point to one thing that will fix all the problems. The reality is that most of the time it's a combination of things.
                        In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.


                        -Douglas MacArthur

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                          At least by lining up under center, you keep the defenses guessing and makes our offense less predicatble.
                          Now this I agree with you 100%!
                          In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.


                          -Douglas MacArthur

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                            I'm not saying we have to be a heavy running team, but we resort to low success rates when we pass on short yardage situations. Our redzone offense is bad... but our goalline is worse. Shotgun all the time also frustrates me. At least by lining up under center, you keep the defenses guessing and makes our offense less predicatble.
                            So do we though? It happens. Do I like when we do that now. But think how the call sheet is designed for that week. You go by what you are successful in running, and what the flaw of the defense is. Then you create the call sheet and categorize the plays. Perhaps you have more passing plays in those situations than running. Why? Maybe because you pass so much, that teams expect a run, so you pass because you have the weapons to do so. Would I do that? No, I am more traditional in that sense, but the logic isn't totally flawed. I can see the thought process, but don't agree with it.

                            This is from our Falcons game

                            3rd and 3.. Instead of a slant, screen, draw, or pure run. What do we do?


                            3rd and 3 at ATL 46 (Shotgun) E.Manning pass deep right to M.Manningham pushed ob at ATL 13 for 33 yards (C.Jackson).

                            Now it works, but still 33 yards when you need only 3?


                            3rd and 4 at ATL 21 (Shotgun) E.Manning pass short right to K.Boss to ATL 3 for 18 yards (M.Peterson).


                            We used to run curls and hitches like it was our job. 3rd and 4 I expect something like that to Smith. Find the zone get the first down like in the past. What do we do? 18 yards? WTF? Why? We need only 4. All these plays work, but I certainly don't like them. I know a lot of Giants fans thought the same thing in the game day thread.


                            3rd and 2 at NYG 41 (Shotgun) E.Manning pass short middle to H.Nicks to NYG 48 for 7 yards (C.Lofton).

                            3rd and 2.. Could we see a draw or a slant? Nope, we throw it again. Now this isn't as bad because a 7 yard pass is something that can be done, and not faulted. Again, not my style, but ok, i like can deal with the pattern ran. The other plays were just idiotic, but I can understand the thought process. I, of course, don't agree with it.




                            So basically all OCs do stuff like this. To what extent and how many times differs, but JG is not the only guy. That's my point there are A LOT of other OCs, including our OC, that does stuff like this. It comes down to your philosophy for your system, the team you're playing, and how you create the call sheet for that week.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              So when your playing the GB packers who have argueably one of the best corners in the league, you should script a playsheet to only run the ball a total of 11 times?

                              How about when you draft a guy in the first round and he has proven he is explosive, yet fail to give him a touch when you need a spark against a tough divisional opponite.

                              He has cost us as many games with his playcalling than he has won for us with his playcalling.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
                                So do we though? It happens. Do I like when we do that now. But think how the call sheet is designed for that week. You go by what you are successful in running, and what the flaw of the defense is. Then you create the call sheet and categorize the plays. Perhaps you have more passing plays in those situations than running. Why? Maybe because you pass so much, that teams expect a run, so you pass because you have the weapons to do so. Would I do that? No, I am more traditional in that sense, but the logic isn't totally flawed. I can see the thought process, but don't agree with it.

                                This is from our Falcons game

                                3rd and 3.. Instead of a slant, screen, draw, or pure run. What do we do?


                                3rd and 3 at ATL 46 (Shotgun) E.Manning pass deep right to M.Manningham pushed ob at ATL 13 for 33 yards (C.Jackson).

                                Now it works, but still 33 yards when you need only 3?


                                3rd and 4 at ATL 21 (Shotgun) E.Manning pass short right to K.Boss to ATL 3 for 18 yards (M.Peterson).


                                We used to run curls and hitches like it was our job. 3rd and 4 I expect something like that to Smith. Find the zone get the first down like in the past. What do we do? 18 yards? WTF? Why? We need only 4. All these plays work, but I certainly don't like them. I know a lot of Giants fans thought the same thing in the game day thread.


                                3rd and 2 at NYG 41 (Shotgun) E.Manning pass short middle to H.Nicks to NYG 48 for 7 yards (C.Lofton).

                                3rd and 2.. Could we see a draw or a slant? Nope, we throw it again. Now this isn't as bad because a 7 yard pass is something that can be done, and not faulted. Again, not my style, but ok, i like can deal with the pattern ran. The other plays were just idiotic, but I can understand the thought process. I, of course, don't agree with it.




                                So basically all OCs do stuff like this. To what extent and how many times differs, but JG is not the only guy. That's my point there are A LOT of other OCs, including our OC, that does stuff like this. It comes down to your philosophy for your system, the team you're playing, and how you create the call sheet for that week.
                                A lot of that is also dependent on the current score of the game. Ginger is too risky on the most critical parts of the game. Football is a simple sport if you go with the high percentage plays.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information