Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Week 16: Dallas @ Washington

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by FreshBoy! View Post
    So the onus isn't on JG this time? Frustrating...who's to blame?
    Barber? JG? The O-Line(Davis specifically?)
    Boys should've been up 21+ going into the 4th. You let a playoff team hang around like that and you're asking for trouble. I mean really...short of throwing a quick slant on 3rd and 1, I don't disagree with JG's calls too much, maybe he should know better, but you have to expect to be able to pick up a yard consistently.
    My full explanation is more complicated but it starts with Davis's inability to get a push or move his feet and pull. Take a look at these short yardage stuff's -- Davis is invlolved.

    In fact we run much better left than right. Kosier can move his feet and get DL out of position. Davis can not not. Just look at the play with Barber when the LB shot the gap Davis pulled left and simply wiffed on the block. Barber got hit. Everyone did their job except Davis. On the other plays when they ran behind him -- those are his for not getting push IMHO.

    Now with that said, Choice is a better short yardage guy than either Barber or Felix. Choice is a one cut guy. MB and Felix shuffle their feet way too much. Reminds me a bit of the Barry Sanders v Emmitt discussion ...... give me Emmitt when you need yards in tough situations b/c without penetration he always finds a crack of seem, hits it hard and gets the inches you need. Felix and MBIII just don't do that.

    Lastly, JG is an idiot for running the same plays over and over and over that don't work. I mean a play action or role out is an option you know. QB sneak. So many options but none are explored.

    Comment


    • #32
      Here's my take.

      I think most of last night's short yardage failure is on Barber. Barber is not seeing things well so he is hesitating. I agree that Choice would be a better short yardage option because of his vision and he's slippery.

      I think the OL bears some responsiblity too. They had one or two of those blocked well enough to get it, but they could have done better. I think everyone needs to give some credit to Haynesworth, too. That guy is an absolute beast. He singlehandedly blew up two of those plays.

      As for Garrett, I would like to see a PA pass mixed in there, but I think you guys are being too hard on him in this situation. Look, EVERYONE in the league runs the same short yardage plays. Garrett showed confidence in his big guys and they didn't execute for him. I would have liked for him to use one or two of those plays and use play action pass and the same could be said for the SD game. But I think it's cheap to question him trusting his guys; they just didn't come through for him.

      I think they need to mix in a rollout or something like that in short yardage. Romo's good at putting pressure on the defense in those situations and frankly, he's our best offensive player so I want the ball in his hands, period.
      In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.


      -Douglas MacArthur

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
        Here's my take.

        As for Garrett, I would like to see a PA pass mixed in there, but I think you guys are being too hard on him in this situation. Look, EVERYONE in the league runs the same short yardage plays. Garrett showed confidence in his big guys and they didn't execute for him. I would have liked for him to use one or two of those plays and use play action pass and the same could be said for the SD game. But I think it's cheap to question him trusting his guys; they just didn't come through for him.
        I think the only thing to fault JG for is his failure to mix it up previously in the season. On every 3rd/4th and short I knew exactly what they were doing...and I don't have any coach's tape. LOL, so I know the DC's studying game film have enough knowledge to know what's coming. If he would've mixed in a PA, sweep, quick slant previously in the season the defense wouldn't be so quick to play the run in that situation. Otherwise...I think JG has been on point as of late, and I've been his biggest defender recently.

        With that being said...Felix/Choice need more carries. Especially Choice out of a traditional set...The razorback doesn't take advantage of his running style, and it looks like our best back isn't being utilized in those situations.

        We need the old Barber back!

        Comment


        • #34
          Yep, more Choice!

          And I agree; questioning play calling is cheap second guessing. Football is really a pretty simple game. I think the 'predicability' thing is overblown, too. It's really not that hard with the amount of film study these teams do for teams to know what offenses are going to run much of the time. It comes down to execution.

          Having said that, I do think this offense could use more PA pass and a few more rollouts. And I would like to see us spread things out a bit in short yardage. We could still use our 2 TE set and still spread the defense out a bit.
          In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.


          -Douglas MacArthur

          Comment


          • #35
            Has anyone gone beyond criticizing just the call of a run? Sure, the choice to run the ball on short yardage situations is a good one. But does that take Garrett off the hook? What about the type of run play called? What about the designed play of the run? Is it really the best run play to hand the ball off to Barber 7 yards behind the LOS when all you need is 1?

            How do you blame a RB when he goes where the play is designed to go, but there is no where for him to run?

            Barber is so good on cut backs and making gains outside of the designed call, but no one recognizes or appreciates that anymore. You just see what's in front of your eyes, and don't bother to break it down further. The grass isn't always greener on the other side folks. Sometimes, you miss what you had right in front of you. Let's not be quick to bash a guy like Barber who exemplifies the heart and warrior-like identity that I wish all our players to have.

            Share the ball more? Sure. Trade Barber? GTFO.

            Comment


            • #36
              This offense needs a deep threat at WR. I'm still disappointed that we still don't take more shots downfield. A part of me wonders if it's just inability with our current personnel but is it purely play calling? Is it the 2 TE set formation? Are they afraid of Romo throwing picks on deep balls? They wanna keep him more under control? I dunno. Fact is... we don't take downfield shots.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                This offense needs a deep threat at WR.
                What do you consider Austin? 16.6 ypc, 20 20+ yard plays (3rd in the NFL), 7 40+ yard plays (3rd in the NFL). Or do you mean more of a DeSean Jackson-type "Run a fly and we'll bomb it to you" player?

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                  What do you consider Austin? 16.6 ypc, 20 20+ yard plays (3rd in the NFL), 7 40+ yard plays (3rd in the NFL). Or do you mean more of a DeSean Jackson-type "Run a fly and we'll bomb it to you" player?
                  Break it down further and you'll see a lot of YAC found in Austin's stats.

                  I'm worried about the lack of the play call and the reasoning. I think Roy Williams can be the deep threat. Heck, he only gets 3-4 looks a game anyways. Might as well be bombs. If he can't catch them, then maybe we need a different player. But we don't even know because it's not in the playbook. Maybe the staff already knows that answer and maybe it is personnel. I just know that our offense could use more explosiveness.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                    This offense needs a deep threat at WR. I'm still disappointed that we still don't take more shots downfield. A part of me wonders if it's just inability with our current personnel but is it purely play calling? Is it the 2 TE set formation? Are they afraid of Romo throwing picks on deep balls? They wanna keep him more under control? I dunno. Fact is... we don't take downfield shots.
                    It seemed like last year all we ever did was send 3 receivers on a fly and have a check down, this year its all crossing routes and no deep posts or anything. I would love to see a mixture of it.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Washington was playing their safeties DEEEEEEEP. We took what they gave us. Last week Austin caught a 50+ bomb against N.O. As far as our short yardage failures, why do we pull so much? Seems like we should man up and push them a yard. Kosier was getting abused by Hanesworth and I noticed our FB whiff a couple of times as well. I agree we need to mix in some PA passes too.




                      The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Pocket is right. Some of the clips they showed of how deep the safties were playing was unreal.
                        In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.


                        -Douglas MacArthur

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
                          Washington was playing their safeties DEEEEEEEP. We took what they gave us. Last week Austin caught a 50+ bomb against N.O. As far as our short yardage failures, why do we pull so much? Seems like we should man up and push them a yard. Kosier was getting abused by Hanesworth and I noticed our FB whiff a couple of times as well. I agree we need to mix in some PA passes too.
                          It was more like a 30-35 yard bomb and a 15-20 yard scamper. But that's exactly what I think we need more of. Not saying we have never done it. Saying we don't do it enough.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                            Pocket is right. Some of the clips they showed of how deep the safties were playing was unreal.
                            True, but they didn't do it on every single defensive play in the entire game.

                            We need to cut loose at least 2-3 times a game as opposed to none. Sometimes you even get PI calls.

                            Not trying to make this a bigger deal than it is, because I think the offense has been effective with Romo keeping the turnovers in check.

                            But is that it? Keeping Romo in check and avoiding deep pass play calls?

                            Or is it personnel? Crisco is right.. With TO we did it all the time... this year? ...

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              I think you're looking at 'keeping Romo in check' the wrong way.

                              D, he's on pace for almost 4500 yards almost 30 TDs and less than 10 INTs. That is a monster year.
                              In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.


                              -Douglas MacArthur

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                                I think you're looking at 'keeping Romo in check' the wrong way.

                                D, he's on pace for almost 4500 yards almost 30 TDs and less than 10 INTs. That is a monster year.
                                No, I think you're looking at it the wrong way. I could care less about player's having monster statistical years. I care much MUCH more about what's going on on the field and how we're attacking defenses.

                                If I looked at stats, the announcers yesterday said Jason Campbell was in the middle of the pack statistically. Do I think he's better than half the QBs in the league? Hell no.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information