Strategy...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategy...

With the clock ticking towards the NFL Draft Jerry Jones has a lot on his mind...what do you think his strategies are heading in to the draft w/ our FA stint most likely over...I believe he will look at 4 things round 1...The best available out of these 3 positions: FS,CB,WR...or a trade down out of R.1...so right now Reggie Nelson, Meriweather, Chris Houston, Darrelle Revis, Marcus McCauley(sadly), Dwayne Bowe, Dwayne Jarrett look like our options. Thoughts?

Dallas Cowboys 07-08 Superbowl CHAMPS!

We absolutely don't need a CB, so throw that out. I would love Reggie Nelson.

Comment

Originally posted by TNewFan41 View Post
      We absolutely don't need a CB, so throw that out. I would love Reggie Nelson.
      We do need a CB...

Henry is 31-32 years of age right now, with nagging injuries, and Aaron Glenn might not even return. There goes our nickelback. If Nelson is gone, we will draft a CB or linemen.
      Last edited by dc4life; 03-12-2007, 09:47 PM.

Comment

yes we do! if a CB like houston is on the board and no FS yes we do.you act like its not a postion of need...theres probly a 50-50 chance henry goes to FS so try to think before you speak...yes we'd all love nelson but theres a good chance he aint there...so WR and CB become other r.1 options...you are giving your self a bad rep around here for lack of facts, stubborness, and not thinking at all. and you never gave me that link from michael smith on ESPN about the juius trade...you werent makin it up right?

Comment

I just don't want a CB, but w/e.

Comment

sadly the cowboys dont draft out of TNewfan41's wish list...but don't make stuff up like theres no need for a CB when theres a good chance thats our pick...no link for that michael smith article about trading Julius or what...i guessed right it was your imagination. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by mtmock View Post
              yes we do! if a CB like houston is on the board and no FS yes we do.you act like its not a postion of need...theres probly a 50-50 chance henry goes to FS so try to think before you speak...yes we'd all love nelson but theres a good chance he aint there...so WR and CB become other r.1 options...you are giving your self a bad rep around here for lack of facts, stubborness, and not thinking at all. and you never gave me that link from michael smith on ESPN about the juius trade...you werent makin it up right?
              If Nelson is off the board, and we do Draft a CB he could start at nickel if Glenn doesnt return. Or we could make the rookie start at CB, and move Henry back to FS.
              I'd rather give Watkin's a legit chance though.

Comment

*Mondays Headlines and Free-Agency News*

Indianapolis signs Arizona QB John Navarre

The Cowboys are rumored to be willing to part with HB Julius Jones for the right price

Michael Bush has announced that he will run at Louisville's Pro Day on March 26th

this is from another site but it does mention the possibility of a julious trade

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

If we stay in the first round, I see us drafting OLB, CB or WR. I think OL might be out of the question in round 1, but don't be surprised if we go G in round 2. The scenario would be that the rookie guars sits his first year and then takes over the RG position on '08 while Davis moves to LT to replace Flozell.

I know a lot of people don't think that WR is a necessity right now, but I see it happening. There's a lot of good prospects out there right now. I'm interested in Bowe, Meachem, Gonzalez or Smith.

Comment

I say we trade down and Draft Tank..............Do you guys not understand how F***ed we are, if Fergie goes down??

Comment

This maybe the first time ever, but I agree with TNew. I do not want a CB in the 1st, it's pretty much Nelson or trade down for me. Or trade up for Nelson.

Comment

I've got a couple of thoughts that sort of connect, so I hope you all can follow me.

1. Our needs in the first round of the draft:
                        -In my mind, we need: a nosetackle to relieve Ferguson and be the future of the position or, a defensive back to improve the secondary, and possibly be our future starter, specifically at corner.

2. Potential other needs for the first round:
                        -A Wide Receiver to develop into a future #1 target. Obviously, if a certain player is to be released, this position becomes a need rather than a "wish."
                        -An offensive lineman, possibly a future left tackle, to help increase the depth on our line.

3. Impacts of the first round pick:
                        -In my mind a nose tackle and a defensive back can both come in and contribute immediately on this team.
                        -Unless TO is released, a WR will either hinder the development of Patrick Crayton, Sam Hurd, and Miles Austin, or will have his own development hindered by one or more of the three previously mentioned wide receivers.
                        -Any offensive lineman, I believe, would not be able to start for the Dallas Cowboys at this point in time, unless he were to unseat Kyle Kosier, which I believe to be highly unlikely.

4. Value in the first round:
                        -I believe that there are 2 previously listed positions that have value where we pick at 22: cornerback and wide receiver. Any selection of an offensive lineman or nose tackle would be a reach at that point.

5. TO
                        -At some point, this controversial wide receiver will have to be addressed. I don't want to speculate as to what the organization will do, or as to my personal feelings about the receiver, but I think that if we can find good value of a Wide Receiver at the 22nd spot (a receiver who can be a #1 target), then Terrell Owens does become expendable.

6. To address the "Reggie Nelson syndrome":
                        -I believe that Nelson is a ballhawk and a playmaker. I don't doubt his ability.
                        -I do believe, however, that there are better defensive backs in this draft (specifically Leon Hall, Darrell Revis, Aaron Ross, and of course, LaRon Landry).
                        -I believe that Patrick Watkins can play, and will be a very good safety if he is allowed to develop. I even believe that Watkins can be an adequate starter this season if necessary.
                        -I think that picking a safety in the first round of the draft will hinder Watkins' development.
                        -Based on all of these factors, I believe that the best move for the organization, if it wishes to address the defensive backfield, is to move Anthony Henry to safety (although I'm not extremely confident in his abilities as a safety), allow Watkins to develop under him, and to draft a cornerback who will start, and be ready to start, opposite Terrence Newman.

7. Finally, I do believe that we can be afforded the luxury of drafting BPA in this draft.
                        -I think there are, however, a couple of positions that need to be addressed at some point:
                        -A cornerback with the potential to start
                        -Depth along the offensive line
                        -A nose tackle to spell Ferguson
                        -A developmental quarterback

Comment

i would love Bowe or Jarrett right now the team has high hopes for watkins....wr and CB would be the best available at that point...Allison maybe if we trade down

Comment

Originally posted by JJJ888 View Post
                            I've got a couple of thoughts that sort of connect, so I hope you all can follow me.

1. Our needs in the first round of the draft:
                            -In my mind, we need: a nosetackle to relieve Ferguson and be the future of the position or, a defensive back to improve the secondary, and possibly be our future starter, specifically at corner.

2. Potential other needs for the first round:
                            -A Wide Receiver to develop into a future #1 target. Obviously, if a certain player is to be released, this position becomes a need rather than a "wish."
                            -An offensive lineman, possibly a future left tackle, to help increase the depth on our line.

3. Impacts of the first round pick:
                            -In my mind a nose tackle and a defensive back can both come in and contribute immediately on this team.
                            -Unless TO is released, a WR will either hinder the development of Patrick Crayton, Sam Hurd, and Miles Austin, or will have his own development hindered by one or more of the three previously mentioned wide receivers.
                            -Any offensive lineman, I believe, would not be able to start for the Dallas Cowboys at this point in time, unless he were to unseat Kyle Kosier, which I believe to be highly unlikely.

4. Value in the first round:
                            -I believe that there are 2 previously listed positions that have value where we pick at 22: cornerback and wide receiver. Any selection of an offensive lineman or nose tackle would be a reach at that point.

5. TO
                            -At some point, this controversial wide receiver will have to be addressed. I don't want to speculate as to what the organization will do, or as to my personal feelings about the receiver, but I think that if we can find good value of a Wide Receiver at the 22nd spot (a receiver who can be a #1 target), then Terrell Owens does become expendable.

6. To address the "Reggie Nelson syndrome":
                            -I believe that Nelson is a ballhawk and a playmaker. I don't doubt his ability.
                            -I do believe, however, that there are better defensive backs in this draft (specifically Leon Hall, Darrell Revis, Aaron Ross, and of course, LaRon Landry).
                            -I believe that Patrick Watkins can play, and will be a very good safety if he is allowed to develop. I even believe that Watkins can be an adequate starter this season if necessary.
                            -I think that picking a safety in the first round of the draft will hinder Watkins' development.
                            -Based on all of these factors, I believe that the best move for the organization, if it wishes to address the defensive backfield, is to move Anthony Henry to safety (although I'm not extremely confident in his abilities as a safety), allow Watkins to develop under him, and to draft a cornerback who will start, and be ready to start, opposite Terrence Newman.

7. Finally, I do believe that we can be afforded the luxury of drafting BPA in this draft.
                            -I think there are, however, a couple of positions that need to be addressed at some point:
                            -A cornerback with the potential to start
                            -Depth along the offensive line
                            -A nose tackle to spell Ferguson
                            -A developmental quarterback

Agreed on the need of a cornerback. Also we don't have to move Henry to free safety right away. The new corner can get some plays in at nickleback to develope into a future starter and Watkins can have his legit shot at FS. I think drafting safety in the first round would pretty much indicate giving up on Watkins. I'm not totally against this but, it's really looking less likely that Nelson will be there.

Also, I was wondering just how many good 3-4 NT are there in this draft? Does anyone know if Montavious Stanley is improving or what? Any news on this guy at all?

Comment

I seriously doubt WR in the first. I don't see us taking a NT @22, but if we trade down its a distinct possibility we take tank tyler. The most likely pick IMO is a safety I don't care what Jerry says, my eyes tell me we need an upgrade at FS.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information