The 2011 Cowboys Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our team still can't create turnovers.

We should be drafting high enough that Rahim Moore is within our reach. We need him.

Comment

I would like Moore very much.
      In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
        Yea, I don't see him making it out of the top 20 at all, but with that said:

Chykie Brown may be a much better choice for us.

I'm on record as saying I like him more then Aaron Williams personally, but I usually hype up 1 Longhorn per year, Orakpo, Earl Thomas, and he's my guy this year. I think we can get him in the 2nd-3rd rd depending on the type of year he has, but he has tools to end up much better then Williams. Physically and athletically he's the better DB, he just makes some mental lapses in games, going for big plays etc, but he could very easily sneak into the late 1st round with a solid year.

But I think he's someone we could target in round 2 and develop into a very fine starter opposite Jenkins. I still have hope for AOA as a future at FS to be honest, so right now I like the idea of Mike Pouncey in rd 1, and Chykie Brown in rd 2, at least before CFB season starts.
        Holy **** LL you couldn't be any more wrong here. Chykie Brown is absolute trash, he was average last season and this year he's getting beat like a dirty rug game in and game out. He has terrible man to man coverage skills, and can't play a ball in the air if his life depended on it. He's physically talented, but he is not skilled at all. There is absolutely no way he will be better than Aaron Williams, who's a top ten talent.

Unless you were looking at the wrong C.Brown, and meant Curtis Brown, who really is a good player, and is lightyears better than Chykie.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
          Our team still can't create turnovers.

We should be drafting high enough that Rahim Moore is within our reach. We need him.
          Moore hasn't shown to be nearly the ball hawk he was last year. Why him over the other top rated safety prospects this year...and don't say because he's from the Pac-10 you homer ;-)

Comment

Where in the 1st round do you guys see Dallas picking right now?

Also anyone know how many picks we have?

Comment

Originally posted by thule View Post
              Moore hasn't shown to be nearly the ball hawk he was last year. Why him over the other top rated safety prospects this year...and don't say because he's from the Pac-10 you homer ;-)
              Well he had an interception last Saturday, but you sound like you've been watching him a lot. I can't say that I have seen much other than that Houston game. It's 2 games into the season and you already think he's different from last year? I'm calling you out. You're just spitting out words outta your mouth with that statement.

I haven't seen McDaniels yet this year. But I know he's universally listed as the top S this year, so I'm interested to follow him.

If Moore doesn't show the same ball skills as last year, then I'll adjust my opinion accordingly.

Comment

As I posted on the other thread, Brian Broadus gave his analysis of the game film yesterday, and again, we had poor safety play. Our defense will never 'take the next step' with the type of safety play we've been getting the last several years.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                  Holy **** LL you couldn't be any more wrong here. Chykie Brown is absolute trash, he was average last season and this year he's getting beat like a dirty rug game in and game out. He has terrible man to man coverage skills, and can't play a ball in the air if his life depended on it. He's physically talented, but he is not skilled at all. There is absolutely no way he will be better than Aaron Williams, who's a top ten talent.

Unless you were looking at the wrong C.Brown, and meant Curtis Brown, who really is a good player, and is lightyears better than Chykie.

Lol I know the difference between Curtis and Chykie Brown it's not a new team to me or anything. And I stand by my comments while disagreeing completely with yours.

He's not anywhere near as bad as you make it seem because I've read numerous scouting reports from the end of last year, up to this month that have all three guys with a very solid chance to go in the 1st round. Chykie has been the most impressive corner to be personally, and I'll stand by those comments until I see something that shows me otherwise.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

I'm just really skeptical of all of UT's players coming into the draft. They just don't have a good track record of being ready.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                      As I posted on the other thread, Brian Broadus gave his analysis of the game film yesterday, and again, we had poor safety play. Our defense will never 'take the next step' with the type of safety play we've been getting the last several years.
                      Don't need someone to post it on a blog to know that our Safeties suck and that we won't take the next step until we fix that... but maybe Jerry will read it and that will open up his eyes. I can only hope.

You all know I've not been a fan of Sensabaugh. I am very hopeful of AOA, but realistically we're 2-3 years away from knowing. Michael Hamlin is a disappointment and I don't have much faith that he'll ever be more than a backup... if he can even stick as a backup. I see him following the Pat Watkins path. I agree that Jerry missed the ball when he failed to bring in Atogwe.

I'm just sick of having to talk about Safeties year after year, only to see us pass up on the elite talent and hoping to find a diamond out of a lump of coal. I'm tired of having a secondary that doesn't create turnovers. Jenkins is our only playmaker.

Comment

I'm just really skeptical of all of UT's players coming into the draft. They just don't have a good track record of being ready.
                        Yeah, people generally love them as prospects and overrate them, but in the NFL... they frequently fizzle. It's really hit or miss. Most times it's the ones drafted outside of Round 1 that turn out to be better players. To the point that I'd rather have a Longhorns player if they are not being talked about as 1st rounders.

Comment

I'm with you.

I think we need to try everything we can to get a difference maker at safety this year, assuming there is one.

I think we have to address the interior OL after that. If we could come out of the first 2 rounds with some combination of Moore, D. Williams, McDaniel, Wisnewski, Pouncy Cannon and Ijlana - I think we would be in good shape.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                            Lol I know the difference between Curtis and Chykie Brown it's not a new team to me or anything. And I stand by my comments while disagreeing completely with yours.

He's not anywhere near as bad as you make it seem because I've read numerous scouting reports from the end of last year, up to this month that have all three guys with a very solid chance to go in the 1st round. Chykie has been the most impressive corner to be personally, and I'll stand by those comments until I see something that shows me otherwise.
                            My bad, i wasn't trying to sound like i was insulting your knowledge of the team, i was just completely baffled that you rate Chykie so highly.

Have you been watching him this season? What about him has impressed you so much that you rate him higher than arguably the best CB in CFB? He has played pretty badly, and last year he wasn't very good either. Aaron Williams blankets everyone he's on, and has playmaking ability. Curtis Brown is another guy that's shutting WRs out, again, completely better than Chykie is.

Comment

UT has hits and misses just like any other school that produces a ton of talent. When you have as many high touted recruits as Texas does your gonna have alot of players drafted, so it's different then with a smaller College that may not have as many sought after prospects so when one comes along he ends up really good.

I could list a ton of bust for UT, but I could double that list for you with All Pro's and Pro Bowlers and guys you would love to have on your team. Same for USC, same for Florida, same for Penn St. and Ohio St. It just doesn't make sense to knock a guy because of what school he came from, you have to grade out a guy on his own basis.

Just like alot of people wanted to be lazy and knock Percy Harvin because he was a Florida WR, or say any USC player is lazy and unprepared when Mathews and Cushing are two of the best young LB's in the game right now.

Earl Thomas, Brian Orakpo, Jermichael Finley are 3 of the most recent UT players who came out and came out early and will all 3 be top 5 at their positions in 3 years IMO. If you just looked at them without trying to see if they could play or not, and just said you didn't want them because of what school they went to, you missed out.

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                              I'm tired of having a secondary that doesn't create turnovers. Jenkins is our only playmaker.
                              Agreed 200%, it really pisses me off.

Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                              My bad, i wasn't trying to sound like i was insulting your knowledge of the team, i was just completely baffled that you rate Chykie so highly.

Have you been watching him this season? What about him has impressed you so much that you rate him higher than arguably the best CB in CFB? He has played pretty badly, and last year he wasn't very good either. Aaron Williams blankets everyone he's on, and has playmaking ability. Curtis Brown is another guy that's shutting WRs out, again, completely better than Chykie is.

I don't know why, again I've read from countless sites that Chykie Brown is a fringe 1st rounder, and at worst a 3rd rounder. I didn't even find this info out until a few weeks ago when everytime an Aaron Williams post/thread came up I said maybe I was crazy but the most impressive UT corner for me was Chykie Brown. So I did some research and read that alot of scouts were just as high on him as the other two guys.

I don't still have those sites, I can try and look for them or any other scouting reports, but everytime I watched Chykie impressed me the most. He's got really long arms and can knock passes down with ease, he's got great size and can run with WR's step for step, physical, has all the tools you want to see in a #1 CB, biggest problems I've seen is that he's not nearly as consistent in his play as Aaron Williams.

But hey I'm not knocking who is a better prospect or anything, but Chykie Brown has always just looked better to me in the games I've seen and while I'm inclined to change that opinion over the course of the season when I watch more games(which I have said in other threads, that this is now and I still want to see more of all 3 and rank them again after the year).

I don't mind being called crazy, just no point in me being a sheep and saying I like Aaron Williams more because everyone else does and he's the better prospect if that's not how I really feel.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

After another week of watching Longhorn football, Chykie Browns play wasn't very good and Aaron Williams was causing fumbles and seemed to have his name called all game. Chykie also gave up the an easy 3rd down hitch towards the end of the game where he looked clueless.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information