No announcement yet.

The 2011 Cowboys Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairley scares me too. 1 year wonder, character concerns, and the scary thing is even his own coaches were shocked that he was this good this year.

Sounds like a guy who just wants to get paid and pack it in afterwards. He reminds me of Glenn Dorsey as a player, but you gotta worry about that character.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
      You like Tyron? I hate him, I wouldn't touch him. He screams bust to me.

Von and Tyron are 2 guys that are either going to be studs, or busts. There's no middle ground for either of those guys.

I haven't watched Solder yet, I gotta put the eyeball on him. Right now I'm all about Gabe Carimi.
      I don't like Tyron @ 9. But as a trade back to 12-15 I love him. He has the most natural feet in the draft that I've seen. He seems like he still has a lot of physical development left in him. I see him as one of those guys that you might look back at and say "how the hell did that dude every get out of the top 5?"

I agree that there is a certain risk of it going the other way on you, but I see him as the odds on pick to emerge as the best OT talent in this draft. I think his tools are elite, and every draft guy who has reviewed his tape has been shocked with how great his technique and fundamentals were this year.
      Originally posted by 21ST
      He was protecting his self
      Originally posted by tjsunstein
      From what? His leg?
      Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
      That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
      "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• DeMarcus Love SUCKSSSS.

A bit off topic, but I want no part of him at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
          I've been thinking something similar. I just think that Peterson is so special, he's the kind of guy that you look back and say "wow, what if we got THAT guy?" I mean, think about the Niners in 81 wondering if it was worth going to get Lott, or the Falcons asking themselves if Deion was really that good. If Peterson is a once-in-a-generation talent--and I'm starting to really think he is--then no price (within reason, obviously) is too high.

Barring him, though, I totally agree. This is a great draft from 10-20, I think, and has a lot of 3rd-tier talent (late-1st and early 2nd guys) that will fall down the board. I totally agree on Carimi. I'd had the same thought myself. I also like Ijalana in that scenario, Brandon Harris or Raheem Morris are other great possibilities. I think all those guys are legit late 1st guys but at least one of them (along with Cam Heyward) will be on the board when we pick at 40. With Stephen Paea going down with an injury, maybe he falls down to our spot, too.

I don't think we should fall in love with anyone except Peterson. I think he is the best player in this draft. I'm starting to sour on Fairley. I would not be comfortable selecting him in the top 5. Bowers worries me too. With that high of a pick, you worry about a guy who has only done it for one year. Anyone with motivation questions scares the hell out of me. I think Peterson is the best guy in the class, and will be the defining talent. If you have a chance to get that guy, I just don't think you can pass on it. Even if the cost is very high.

I really think if Denver passes on him then he'll slide to at least Arizona. Like you said above, if he makes it there I'm willing to give up anything within reason. 1st, 2nd, next years 2nd/3rd if need be. Peterson is special and would be worth it.

Imagine the training camp battles he and Dez would have for years! haha

EDIT: And this is one of the few things I love about Jerry, he is a fan just like the rest of us. He falls in love with guys like PP and Dez and he will do just about anything to get them. As a fan, I love that about him.
          Last edited by TheFinisher; 01-25-2011, 05:19 PM.
          Cowboys Mock:
          1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
          2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
          3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

Comment

• Originally posted by TheFinisher View Post
            And this is one of the few things I love about Jerry, he is a fan just like the rest of us. He falls in love with guys like PP and Dez and he will do just about anything to get them. As a fan, I love that about him.
            THIS. It's something that I've liked about Jerry even though the public perception hammers him for not drafting OL in Round 1. Gimme a playmaker like Dez over an OL every day, all day.

Comment

• Quote:
              Originally Posted by TheFinisher
              And this is one of the few things I love about Jerry, he is a fan just like the rest of us. He falls in love with guys like PP and Dez and he will do just about anything to get them. As a fan, I love that about him.

THIS. It's something that I've liked about Jerry even though the public perception hammers him for not drafting OL in Round 1. Gimme a playmaker like Dez over an OL every day, all day
              Jerry got it right with Dez. Sometimes even the blind pig finds, you know......

But he blew it soooooo badly with Joey Galloway who cost 2 1st rd. picks. And by trading out of the 1st rd. soooo many times dating back to the Jimmy Johnson regime b/c His Guy wasnt there, gave me draft day fits yr after yr.
              Last edited by LizardState; 01-25-2011, 07:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                Jerry got it right with Dez. Sometimes even the blind pig finds, you know......

But he blew it soooooo badly with Joey Galloway who cost 2 1st rd. picks. And by trading out of the 1st rd. soooo many times dating back to the Jimmy Johnson regime b/c His Guy wasnt there, gave me draft day fits yr after yr.
                Joey Galloway...ouch! Yeah, that one was a blunder to say the least.

Rarely do I criticize Jerry for trading up. More often than not do I criticize him for trading down.

When I heard BBD say, we should trade down, I was thinking to myself.. no, no, no!

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                  THIS. It's something that I've liked about Jerry even though the public perception hammers him for not drafting OL in Round 1. Gimme a playmaker like Dez over an OL every day, all day.
                  I'll take a player like Dez over OL any day when then team doesn't have weapons.... We have Austin, Dez, Witten, solid backs, and roy and bennet.

We need someone who can block the pass rush so romo can't get them the ball. The only offensive skill position that would make sense is a slot WR in the mid rounds or an amazing runningback that is may better than what we have, but that isn't in this draft. (ingram is good, but not like that, although I wouldn't hate the pick)

Some teams in the NFL would kill to have bennett and roy starting for them. The playmaker factor in the draft applies when you don't have any, we have more than enough.

Football is WON IN THE TRENCHES. We need to make sure the DL is set, which I do believe in brent as out NT of the future and move ratliff to DE, and this o-line needs to be overhauled.

Comment

• Originally posted by CDCB14 View Post
                    I'll take a player like Dez over OL any day when then team doesn't have weapons.... We have Austin, Dez, Witten, solid backs, and roy and bennet.

We need someone who can block the pass rush so romo can't get them the ball. The only offensive skill position that would make sense is a slot WR in the mid rounds or an amazing runningback that is may better than what we have, but that isn't in this draft. (ingram is good, but not like that, although I wouldn't hate the pick)

Some teams in the NFL would kill to have bennett and roy starting for them. The playmaker factor in the draft applies when you don't have any, we have more than enough.

Football is WON IN THE TRENCHES. We need to make sure the DL is set, which I do believe in brent as out NT of the future and move ratliff to DE, and this o-line needs to be overhauled.
                    We really do have a ton of playmakers, when I look at our roster I feel like we have a lot of similarities to those Rams teams from the late 90's when they had the "greatest show on turf". That's the ceiling for this offense if we get 2 dependable guys on the right side of the line. We probably have more formation flexibility than any other team in the league, and Garrett loves to switch it up.

Although I agree with your assessment of the D-Line, I still think Safety is the biggest need and we HAVE to get better there this offseason. Honestly, I'd be fine if we didn't touch cornerback this offseason as long as we address both safety positions, or at least just FS. I truly believe that a stud FS will do wonders for our defense and allow everyone else to play with more confidence.

Switching topics, does anyone know any details about Nate Irving? I know the biggest knock on him was he might be too small but he measured in at 6-1.5 243 or something like that, bigger than most of us expected. He put up a nice stat line this year (92 tackles, 21.5 TFLs, 7 sacks, 6 PBUs) and he plays with a lot of tenacity from the one game I saw. Scott has him as the 5th ILB in his rankings so I'm guessing he can be had with our 4th, I'd be all for that we need ILB depth in the worst way and I can see this guy becoming an eventual starter for us. Like I said I only saw him for like half a game this year so maybe I'm missing why he's a 4th rounder, I'm sure at least one of you guys have seen more of him than me.
                    Last edited by TheFinisher; 01-26-2011, 08:07 AM.
                    Cowboys Mock:

Comment

• I had a dream that PP was still on the board at #8 and then I woke up.

I will go crazy if jerry makes that happen.

Comment

I had a dream that PP was still on the board at #8 and then I woke up.

I will go crazy if jerry makes that happen.
                        Cowboys Mock:

Comment

• Originally posted by TheFinisher View Post
                          We really do have a ton of playmakers, when I look at our roster I feel like we have a lot of similarities to those Rams teams from the late 90's when they had the "greatest show on turf". That's the ceiling for this offense if we get 2 dependable guys on the right side of the line. We probably have more formation flexibility than any other team in the league, and Garrett loves to switch it up.

Although I agree with your assessment of the D-Line, I still think Safety is the biggest need and we HAVE to get better there this offseason. Honestly, I'd be fine if we didn't touch cornerback this offseason as long as we address both safety positions, or at least just FS. I truly believe that a stud FS will do wonders for our defense and allow everyone else to play with more confidence.

Switching topics, does anyone know any details about Nate Irving? I know the biggest knock on him was he might be too small but he measured in at 6-1.5 243 or something like that, bigger than most of us expected. He put up a nice stat line this year (92 tackles, 21.5 TFLs, 7 sacks, 6 PBUs) and he plays with a lot of tenacity from the one game I saw. Scott has him as the 5th ILB in his rankings so I'm guessing he can be had with our 4th, I'd be all for that we need ILB depth in the worst way and I can see this guy becoming an eventual starter for us. Like I said I only saw him for like half a game this year so maybe I'm missing why he's a 4th rounder, I'm sure at least one of you guys have seen more of him than me.
                          We have a lot of playmakers on OFFENSE... but only 1 on defense. Which is sad considering how many times we've used our first rounder on defense. Perhaps Rob Ryan can get more out of them. I hope people don't say he's doing it with "Wade's guys"... because Wade got NOTHING out of this bunch.

Comment

That's BS. Football is won as a team.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                              That's BS. Football is won as a team.
                              first off, my playmaker comment was directed at the offense. we need plenty on defense.

As for the trenches being BS.. D-Unit you are wrong.

If a QB has all day to throw it doesnt matter if you have 5 deion's back there.

If the RB doesn't have a hole, it doesn't matter if it's jim brown. He's gonna get blown up 90% of the time.

Your wrong.

Comment

first off, my playmaker comment was directed at the offense. we need plenty on defense.

As for the trenches being BS.. D-Unit you are wrong.

If a QB has all day to throw it doesnt matter if you have 5 deion's back there.

If the RB doesn't have a hole, it doesn't matter if it's jim brown. He's gonna get blown up 90% of the time.

Your wrong.
                                The Ravens and Patriots are super strong in the trenches and they are sitting at home today.

Patriots are at home because Brady's receivers were shutdown by the Jets.

The Ravens are at home because their secondary couldn't contain the Big Ben and his receivers against the big play.

The Bears OL sucks ass and they were in the NFC Championship game.

GB is in the SB despite Aaron Rodgers having a terrible passing day because GBs secondary came up with a ton of INTs.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information