Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
    I don't see Newman at FS. Ever.
    Why's that? I know this isn't Madden where you can plug players wherver you want, but I'm just curious to hear your take on it.

I personally think he can make the switch. Last year was a little rough, but other than that, he has shown he can be very very physical and can hit which 100 lb. Alan Ball couldn't do. Also, I believe he would be a ballhawk back there. He really struggled in man last year (first "bad" yr for him, in general, IMO), but he's the type of guy that will make plays that are in front of him, which is what will be happening if he's lined up at safety.

Comment

• Newman makes a few big hits here and there, but it's completely different playing FS and expecting to be involved in the running game consistently. He'd never stay healthy, and would never be physical enough. I wouldn't feel good about Newman starting anywhere in our secondary anymore at this point, he's a liability at the worst times.

Anyone remember a few years ago when we were up on Pittsburgh, the December game in Pitt. We were holding on, then Holmes burns Newman down the sideline for a long 3rd down play that breaks the game open.

He's been doing that kinda stuff for a long time. It's not like he's gotten younger or better since then. He's not terrible, but he gets burned way too easy.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
        Ask and ye shall receive

http://www.cowboysnation.com/2011/02...llas-much.html

Wes Bunting: We've talked about Tyron Smith. When you look at his lower half, it's begging for weight. It's a big, broad frame. He's 20 years old and when he focuses on adding weight, it didn't surprise me that he was up that quickly. He's at 307 right now. He's just under 6'5'', which I kind of like, that's what Roger Safford is. He's got 35 inch arms. I've heard he's gonna bench well. He could get up to 320 without losing any athleticism if he's up to 307 already.

CN: You're heard this from legimate sources that he's up to 307?

WB: Yeah

CN: Let's leave him at 307. Let's say he goes to the Combine at that weight and he's 6'4'' and a half. What does that do for him? Where does that move him on draft boards?

WB: On mine he's not moving. I was expecting this. I guess some NFL teams would move him up, cause he's a little heavier. Remember, this is going to be the first time a lot of these juniors work out for NFL teams. They're getting a better feel for these guys. It's not necessarily that they're moving up or down, but that scouts are getting good looks at these guys and tweaking their boards as a consequence.

From what I've heard from the sources I talked to, he's 307. He's still gonna run in the 4.9 to sub-4.9 range, and with 35 inch arms he could bench press 225 pounds more than 25 times. That's a heck of a workout right there. And he's got good tape. And he's 20 years old [Smith turned 20 on December 12th]. You add all that up and I wouldn't have any qualms about taking him in the top ten picks.

CN: You had him in your last mock going to the Redskins at 10. In the past, a lot of the nay-sayers on my site would look at the Cowboys offensive linemen profiles and history and say, there's no way Dallas takes a lineman that light, no matter how well he moves. At this weight, I can't think of any NFL team that would have misgivings selecting him.

WB: No, and this is how funny the NFL is. You look back at Jason Smith from Baylor, who went 2nd overall. I thought he was the 4th best OT in that class. It's kind of, who has the first say, and which player has a consensus around his spot that determines where he goes.

I think Tyron Smith is twice the pro prospect that Jason Smith was.
        Hmm. Interesting.
        In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
          Newman makes a few big hits here and there, but it's completely different playing FS and expecting to be involved in the running game consistently. He'd never stay healthy, and would never be physical enough. I wouldn't feel good about Newman starting anywhere in our secondary anymore at this point, he's a liability at the worst times.

Anyone remember a few years ago when we were up on Pittsburgh, the December game in Pitt. We were holding on, then Holmes burns Newman down the sideline for a long 3rd down play that breaks the game open.

He's been doing that kinda stuff for a long time. It's not like he's gotten younger or better since then. He's not terrible, but he gets burned way too easy.
          Someone with his speed shouldn't get burnt like that. It's funny, he gets burnt and then is easily able to chase them down.

At any rate, I'm fine with him as our NB moving forward. We need a shut down corner opposite Jenkins.

Comment

• The more I think about it the more I see the Cowboys being in a really advantageous position in the draft. I see either A.J. Green or Julio Jones falling far enough for trades to happen at #9. You also have to throw in the quarterbacks as well. People go nuts for quarterbacks in the draft, and this year #9 looks like a better spot than in the top 5. If someone doesn't fall to the Cowboys like Peterson they can just move back and still get one of many guys that they like along with some picks. I'd be thrilled if they stood pat and got Dareus or Prince, but if they don't there are some really good trade options for them with Gabbert and Newton sneaking somewhere in the top 10. I'm thinking a trade down, getting Carimi, and then picking up a corner or safety that slipped into the second.
            "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
            ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

• If we trade back the only thing I want is a RT, I'm firm on that. At that point, I'd take Carimi, Castanzo, Sherrod, who cares. If we could pick up an extra 2nd and a starting RT I'd give up Tyron Smith unless someone we wanted dropped to our laps.

An extra 2nd rounder is huge. That's a franchise Guard in this class and I'll take it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                If we trade back the only thing I want is a RT, I'm firm on that. At that point, I'd take Carimi, Castanzo, Sherrod, who cares. If we could pick up an extra 2nd and a starting RT I'd give up Tyron Smith unless someone we wanted dropped to our laps.

An extra 2nd rounder is huge. That's a franchise Guard in this class and I'll take it.
                With 2 2nd round picks we could go CB or S and G.

Comment

• Carmini, Cannon and Ras-I or Moore!
                  2013 Cowboys Forum Mock
                  - Cleveland Browns GM
                  - Dallas Cowboys GM
                  - Atlanta Falcons GM

Comment

• I have my doubts, but Dareus has been falling in a lot of "expert" mocks lately. I'd def. be on board for this one as well...I still value OL much higher, but Dareus can be just oh so dominant at End for us.

Plus he reminds me of a giant teddy bear off the field and has the exact same sounding voice and mannerisms of Craig Robinson. lol.

Really though, I really want an O-Lineman early. Really early. I'm pretty hung up on Smith at the moment, and I dont see that changing. He's my #1 guy right now. But like LL, I like the trade back scenario as well.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                    KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by UTPATS View Post
                      Carmini, Cannon and Ras-I or Moore!
                      I would be so pumped if we pulled this off!

HOwever, I'm starting to cool on Moore. AFter reading much of the buzz after the combine, this is a terrible safety draft. I like Ras, if not him maybe a DL. I think the value early in this draft is OL and DL.
                      In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• I didn't pay attention to Tyron Smith during the USC games I watched, so I can't really get excited for him. I'm certainly not opposed, it's just that I don't know much about him besides the buzz. If they get him I won't complain, but since I have seen Carimi more I would really love to see him in the blue and silver.
                        "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                        ~Nigerian Proverb

Comment

• I was listening to Pat Jones today (OSU, Raiders, Miami) he said under NO circumstance would he draft an O-Lineman in the 1st round. He said Jimmy would never do it (and never did) and that he and others begged Al Davis not to draft Robert Gallery but Al wouldnt listen. He and Jimmy believe you can find OL all through the draft without a lot of drop off. I know Jerry hasnt had much success drafting OL but I have a feeling he shares these thoughts. I'll be shocked if we go there in the 1st.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• I'd be surprised if we go o-line also...but we should.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                            http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                            KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
                              I was listening to Pat Jones today (OSU, Raiders, Miami) he said under NO circumstance would he draft an O-Lineman in the 1st round. He said Jimmy would never do it (and never did) and that he and others begged Al Davis not to draft Robert Gallery but Al wouldnt listen. He and Jimmy believe you can find OL all through the draft without a lot of drop off. I know Jerry hasnt had much success drafting OL but I have a feeling he shares these thoughts. I'll be shocked if we go there in the 1st.

Yep. So I think I need to let that go, it's just not likely to happen. Nothing worse then watching the draft, seeing all these guys fall to our pick and we do something off the wall with that pick.

Comment

• I understand the philosophy of not using a first rounder on an O-lineman. The Cowboys picked the all time OL god Larry Allen in the second, and they picked up Flozell there too. Not to mention the great 90's line that didn't have a single first rounder in the mix but dominated great defenses to three Super Bowls.

I get that it can work, but I wouldn't be so married to that philosophy that I would pass up a good guy if he's the only option. I really like Carimi, and if he's there and looking like the best fit I'd go ahead and take him. Same thing with Smith if you like him. There are players I would rather have like Prince, Peterson, and Dareus, but they would look real good here.
                                ~Nigerian Proverb

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information