No announcement yet.

The 2011 Cowboys Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One last point. If we had a chance at Prince in the draft, moving TNew to safety makes a lot more sense to me than starting Prince out at Safety-and for one reason. TNew is not slow by anyone's standards. Maybe he has lost a step...but he is still plenty fast to play safety. But he is a REALLY good tackler for a cornerback. His form is really good. He doesnt deliver the knockout blow, that I will admit. But he is able to grab people and slow them down. That, to me, is good enough for a safety. So if we are going to draft a corner, leave them at corner!!! If someone is getting moved to safety, move Newman.
    I published my first book. Available in ebook or paperback! Check it out!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Comment

• Originally posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
      I still don't get how everyone thinks Newman and Jenkins BOTH took a step backwards. If Newman took a step backwards, I would be willing to say age caught up with him. If Jenkins took a step backwards, I could see the arguement that he was a young, exposed player. But when BOTH of them step backwards at the same time???? It seems to me that means the pass rush was lacking.

I hate drafting a 3-4 DL so high in the first round unless a dominate force falls. So maybe an OL is the way to go (I am not a fan of this, either.)

All I am saying is when ALL of the cornerbacks take a step back we need to look at other positions.

And for the record-I think it would be dumb to take PP or Prince and change their position to Safety. Safety is not as important as Cornerback. If you draft a great prospect at corner and change him to safety, you are making a big mistake.

If anyone can show me ONE example of drafting a great cornerback prospect and moving him to safety and getting great results, I will admit I am wrong. Untill then, stop talking about drafting an awesome cornerback and using him as a safety!

I am fearful of taking a stand against D-Unit for obvious reasons. He has more cred than I do. But drafting a top corner prospect and moving him to safety? Why would you do that??? And more importantly, has it ever been done? And has it ever been done with positive results?
      I think Newman was his same self. Ups and downs throughout the season but overall fine, not great. Jenkins most definitely took a step down, but that's coming off a Pro Bowl season. That said, I really don't blame them. The play of the safeties behind them were horrid and they weren't getting a lot of help up front either. Corner is the HARDEST position to play on defense, imo. They really get hung out to dry when other people aren't doing their jobs.

I'm with you on drafting a DE that high. It would be pretty damn cool if Nick Fairley fell though. I know teams are wary of his questionable character... but dayum... would love him. With Watt, I'd say "eh ok...let's ROLL!" Dareus scares me. I'm sure he's got a nice floor, but I really think he could end up being a mediocre player NOT worth the draft spot. I feel a lot of greater players are going to be taken after him. I don't want Cameron Jordan unless we trade down. But what do we do if Bowers is there? That would be intriguing to say the least.

You've got a point about corners being drafted as safeties. No argument there. But I will argue that it's not a given that Safety is not as important as Corner. I think it boils down to the player. A great safety is better than an ok corner and a great corner is better than an ok safety. I just can't say corner is more important. Importance falls on how impactful the individual player is. Deion Sanders was more important than Brock Marion. It's easy to say Corner is more important than Safety with that in mind. Darren Woodson was more important than Kevin Smith. It's easy to say Safety is more important in that case too. So yeah, I hope you get where I'm coming from. Polamalu and Reed mean a helluva lot more to their teams than the corners they have and Asomugha and Revis do the same.

So if we get Prince or PP, it really doesn't matter to me where they play as long as they fill the hole we need. Dreaming here, but if we get Aso, hell, I still wanna draft PP. We'll just plug him into Safety and BAM! If not, gimme gimme gimme him at corner!!!

As for me and my "cred"... *smiles" made me laugh man. I'm just a guy, dude. ...an "opinionated" guy with a lot of time to burn at work. :) but yeah, nothing to "fear" for sure. You guys are fam.

Comment

• I love Dareus...I'd have a hard time envisioning him be anything less than great in the NFL. What a scary player. He was just so dominant.

As for Bowers...you can make him fit in a 34, but there are much better fits out there. I wouldnt hesitate to pass on him.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
        http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
        KO KNOWS

Comment

• I think Bowers would allow us to run lots and lots of the 46.
          Last edited by TheFinisher; 03-10-2011, 08:54 AM.
          Cowboys Mock:
          1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
          2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
          3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

Comment

• You can play the 46 with damn near any of the 1st round Ends. But Bowers fit in your base isnt the greatest.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
            KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
              I love Dareus...I'd have a hard time envisioning him be anything less than great in the NFL. What a scary player. He was just so dominant.

As for Bowers...you can make him fit in a 34, but there are much better fits out there. I wouldnt hesitate to pass on him.
              IMO, you just can't go off that. Soooooo many DTs have been dominant in college only to end up as flops. Just a scary thing. First off, he's kind of a tweener between DE and NT. Honestly, I love him more as a NT prospect...something I've been saying for a long time now. At DE, he just doesn't match the explosiveness of Fairley, Watt and Jordan. Nor is he that strong. The 24 reps at the combine is a bit disappointing for a guy that size. So does he have the work ethic? I don't see the signs... rather, I see potential weight control issues.

Now he could end up being great, and that's what everyone is expecting... I just have a little uneasiness about it.

In a way, I'm kind of glad that he won't be there for us. I only want him as a NT and I doubt the team would use him that way.

Comment

• Haven't posted in a while. I think Dareus will be good, as a 5-tech or NT, and Cameron Jordon is plenty physical enough. I'm all for Watt at this point however if we are going to take a DE at 9.

Comment

• I'd rather not spend the money on Watt @ 9. I really like him and feel he could fit in nicely and start day 1, but I feel he's more worth the money at 15-20. However, he might not go that late. If there is no free agency by the time the draft rolls around, I say we go Prince or trade up to get PP. If there is free agency and we address S or CB, then I feel we have some good bargaining power to trade down in the first and look at DE or T. Preferebly T.

Comment

• Guys, there are so many talented players in this draft, especially where we will be picking. I will be happy with most everyone we talked about.

The top 50-60 guys are either very talented, polished or could make a huge impact on our team within the next few years. Our biggest need is to make sure we are in a position to get at the very least 2 of these guys, if not 3+ of the top 60 players in this draft.

A 6-10 team has multiple holes to fill and multiple needs, especially with several key players possibly leaving via FA if/when that takes place.

We won't be filling every starting position through the draft but this is a great opportunity to get some guys who can be solid for the next 3-5 years at least!
                    2013 Cowboys Forum Mock
                    - Cleveland Browns GM
                    - Dallas Cowboys GM
                    - Atlanta Falcons GM

Comment

• I think when stacking up this draft class you'll see us try to get 2 starters early and a 3rd corner later.

I think we'll go DL first and move back into the first round to take our future OT or OG. The only thing I could see changing this is if we like one of the corners. Then we could take our pick in the 3rd round with the deep DL class.

If we decide to go OL or DB at 9 which would be my 2nd most likely scenario...we'll definitely have a target on Stephen Paea. I have no doubt in my mind that he is our Sean Lee. Injury concerns and a 1st round talent that will probably fall because of the outstanding concerns. On the field he is a 1st round talent....pair the concerns with an amazing DL class and he'll fall further than he should. I think we'll make it an issue to add him to our team if we go OL/DB at 9.
                      thule made a provocative post here, kudos, prompting lots of speculation & responses from the fanbase while the NFL is tied up in knots over the CBA extended discussions.

I'm thinking you're right about 2-3 starters + depth on both lines with this draft so studded with quality d-linemen.

OL or DB at 9 sounds about right, insufficient ammunition to trade up for Peterson sitting alone on the top of so many boards now as many gurus & pundits are calling him a once in a generation player -- save our disappointment when Dallas doesn't get him, they said the same thing last yr. about Eric Berry.

So it's like the 2nd-best OT or the 2nd or 3rd CB, both best case scenarios. I would like to note that there is also a major controversy over the top-ranked OT this yr. since there is no sure thing D'Brickashaw or Joe Thomas, all a matter of opinion, big palpable drawbacks to both Castonzo & Solder on whom they will pass, Carimi &/or Sherrod might be gone by 9 if that run on OTs happens in the early 1st rd. as it could based on the team needs & recent no. of teams moving up the 1st rd for an OT (Chicago & the Steelers, both playoffs teams drafting late, have obvious OL needs to be addressed). If it's DE it has to be a solo designated Their Guy, either Jordan or Watt.

When it settles down to sticking at #9 & picking a CB or OT, it well be Amukamara or the OT of your choice, I'm sticking to my guns on Tyron Smith after the postseason superlatives draftniks have heaped on him, others like Carimi & Sherrod have their vocal fans out there too. With the Tyron Smith selection some in the gallery at the Draft will gasp, some will scream "Reach!" but I think Dallas wants someone who can be an impact rookie at RT or CB replacing Newman & that's where they will go.

Those 3 new starters could be an ORT, a CB, & a DE. As to who & which ones actually start in September, pick 'em, that's a mystical enigma of the FB universe that no one can answer with assurance when you're 2nd-guessing the Valley Ranch braintrust. And I still think their surprise of this Draft with be a mid-round value at backup QB -- McGee is < inspirational of confidence for the future & Kitna is very near retirement age.
                      Last edited by LizardState; 03-11-2011, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• Scott Wright: It’s Draft Day. You’re watching TV. You hear your name called and you hear "Dallas Cowboys". What’s your first thought?

Von Miller: I’d probably pass out. My mom would probably throw water on me, but I’d probably pass out again. [Laughter] I’m from Dallas, and you know I don’t want to be biased towards any teams. Whatever team gets me, gets me, and I’d love to play for any team. But if I had to pick…I’m from Dallas.

Makes my man crush on him grow even more!!!

Comment

• Seems like he's more interested in the Cowboys than the Cowboys are interested in him....

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...th-cowboys.ece

Comment

• The more I think about it the more I'm not seeing Prince being on the Cowboys radar. He's my favorite DB in this draft, but I guess they want to go a different direction. I can't blame them for falling in love with Peterson. I like him too, and it's tough to tell where he's going to go. I can see him going in the top 3, and getting close to number 9 too if some teams go crazy over the quarterbacks.

Part of making peace with Prince not being on the radar and PP maybe being out of reach is me really loving Marcell Dareus. I always liked him, but if he falls he could be just what they need because he's versatile and very dominant. With him you don't have to worry about fitting the scheme. You just put him wherever he's comfortable and he'll be good. It's looking like he won't fall either, so trading down and getting Watt, Jordan, or Carimi looks better and better since you have the possibility of free agency not happening until after the draft.
                            "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                            ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

• Originally posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
                              If anyone can show me ONE example of drafting a great cornerback prospect and moving him to safety and getting great results, I will admit I am wrong. Untill then, stop talking about drafting an awesome cornerback and using him as a safety!
                              Jarius Byrd is the first guy that comes to mind. He was a corner at Oregon and made an immediate impact starting at Safety for the Bills. He is a playmaker and was placed in a position where he can make plays all over the field.

I think Prince or PP would be similar in this situation, put them on the field, especially in a position where they can make plays all over the field. Both of them have the ability to tackle in the box, but I salivate thinking how much they could immediately help out our secondary!
                              2013 Cowboys Forum Mock
                              - Cleveland Browns GM
                              - Dallas Cowboys GM
                              - Atlanta Falcons GM

Comment

• Originally posted by UTPATS View Post
                                Jarius Byrd is the first guy that comes to mind. He was a corner at Oregon and made an immediate impact starting at Safety for the Bills. He is a playmaker and was placed in a position where he can make plays all over the field.

I think Prince or PP would be similar in this situation, put them on the field, especially in a position where they can make plays all over the field. Both of them have the ability to tackle in the box, but I salivate thinking how much they could immediately help out our secondary!
                                I think the point he was trying to make is that a top corner back prospect hasn't been drafted that high and changed positions. I agree with the sentiment. In the 2nd round and on you can do that but not in the top 10 of the draft IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information