No announcement yet.

The 2011 Cowboys Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmm, so a top corner has less potential to make the adjustment than a guy taken in the second round? I completely disagree. I think either Prince or PP will be great if they were asked to move to safety and they accepted the role and worked their butt off to learn it.

Sure, there would be a learning curve, but both of the guys have plus ball skills and a knack for making plays.

Sure, corner is a bit tougher because of the island they play on, but how can we not be better by taking either of these guys, even if they do move to safety?
    2013 Cowboys Forum Mock
    - Cleveland Browns GM
    - Dallas Cowboys GM
    - Atlanta Falcons GM

Comment

• Antrel Rolle was draft at 6 and moved to safety.
      Malcolm Jenkins was drafted early and moved to safety. Both are important players to their respected teams.

CB to S makes a lot of sense when you get players with ball skills.

The funny thing to mention in here is the talk of Aaron Williams possibly being looked at as a safety prospect. Rumors are starting to come out...he really looks like one of those guys that will make the transition to safety in the pro's.

Something that hasn't been mentioned here but is a much better value at 41 than say a guy like Rahim Moore.

Comment

• The move from CB to S is one of the most common positional changes in all of football. It happens all the time. Ronnie Lott was drafted 8th overall as a CB, dominated....and then moved to safety, where he also dominated. It happens constantly. But I don't think Amukamara is a safety. I think PP could do whatever he wanted to, and a positional change could work out for him because of his sheer physical ability. But I am not as comfortable with the idea of moving Prince back there.
        Originally posted by 21ST
        He was protecting his self
        Originally posted by tjsunstein
        From what? His leg?
        Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
        That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
        "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Woah...ready for a interesting tidbit boys.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011/...oard-interview

BTB: I know Cowboys fans have been hearing a lot about Smith of late, but some are still hesitant about him—largely, I think, because he came on the scene later than the senior OL candidates. Tell us more about him.

Longball: Before we start the Bruce Campbell comparisons from last year, Smith has good game tape. I have it from 2 different sources (one from USC) that Dallas has requested more film on Smith than any other NFL team. If that were to happen, a mock might look like this:
          Woah interesting...that pick screams Jason Garrett...Smith is so agile on his feet and already has experience on the right side....with the way Garrett moves his lineman Columbo is the only one on our line that isn't agile....don't know how much substance this holds...but I'm all for a draft that starts with Smith and maybe a guy like Paea or Aaron Williams in the 2nd.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule View Post
            Woah...ready for a interesting tidbit boys.

Woah interesting...that pick screams Jason Garrett...Smith is so agile on his feet and already has experience on the right side....with the way Garrett moves his lineman Columbo is the only one on our line that isn't agile....don't know how much substance this holds...but I'm all for a draft that starts with Smith and maybe a guy like Paea or Aaron Williams in the 2nd.
            I love Smith and wouldn't mind seeing whoever our top secondary prospect that's left on the board going in the second. :D
            Originally posted by D-Unit
            I have no clue what Bortles is all about. Has a funny name though. Sounds like a Pokemon.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock

Comment

• Originally posted by thule View Post
              Woah...ready for a interesting tidbit boys.

Thanks for sharing that! Smith would be a very sound decision for us.

Comment

• Okay-I get it. Lott moved to safety. Rod Woodson moved, too. It can be done, and you are right. All I am saying is I don't think it makes sense to move a blue chip propect to another position just cause it is a need. I guess I went a little shock jock when I said it had never been done. For that, I am sorry. But my point was to move a blue chip based on need doesnt make that much sense to me.

To draft a blue chip corner, pay him blue chip corner money and then move him to a position he has not played seems to be dumb to me.

There-I think that is phrased a little bette.
                I published my first book. Available in ebook or paperback! Check it out!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Comment

• Originally posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
                  Okay-I get it. Lott moved to safety. Rod Woodson moved, too. It can be done, and you are right. All I am saying is I don't think it makes sense to move a blue chip propect to another position just cause it is a need. I guess I went a little shock jock when I said it had never been done. For that, I am sorry. But my point was to move a blue chip based on need doesnt make that much sense to me.

To draft a blue chip corner, pay him blue chip corner money and then move him to a position he has not played seems to be dumb to me.

There-I think that is phrased a little bette.
                  I don't think the only reason would be because it's "just a need". It could be best for his career as well. Peterson is the type that could be a good corner, but a great safety. Why? Because when I watch him, he seems to do exceptionally well when the ball is thrown in front of him. As a safety, he'll have more opportunity to do that compared to at corner where a lot of time his back is facing the QB. His instincts are great. So I would say, let him play a position where he could use those instincts to scan, diagnose and make a quick decision on the play of the ball. Secondly, he's big for CB. Hell, he's big for a Safety too. He possesses a physicality to his game that would allow him to be a great weapon lighting guys up as they try to catch the ball...and Ryan loves to send Safety blitzes, so Peterson would work well in that regard as well. I think the misdirection is that people see his fast 40 time and think cornerback right away. The way I see it is that his speed is only that much more beneficial at S. People love to peg hole slow corners as Safeties. Why don't we just get a fast corner at Safety if 1) We have a need and 2) He's a tremendous there.

We need playmakers. Peterson is a playmaker. Safety is a playmaking position. I don't see any bit of a problem playing him there just because "he's a college blue chipper". To me that makes less sense. Anytime you have a change in football levels, whether it be from JV to Varsity, HS to college... college to NFL... it's natural to change positions and it's not just because of change in your body, but also because the talent level required to excel on the next level is so much higher.

Comment

• IK Brady James has be a mainstay on our defense. I have actually been very proud of him on the field. That said he has never been a good blitzer and he will never be thought of as a coverage backer.

The reason I bring this up is that I read a Bunting article today and it brought up an interesting thought about Ayers falling on draft day and potentially being a steal. Ayers actually plays fluid and I'm not exactly sure how he'd fair on the inside but I think it's something to keep a note on. Ryan isn't tied to just 4 LBs...he has had as many as 7 on the field at the same time. While this pick isn't a need it could develop into a high value pick if he was available at 41. Reminds me a bit of Timmons and the steelers a couple of years ago....not saying this is where we should go at 41...just that if he is available and we take him I won't be surprised.

As soon as the 4.84 40-time popped up under UCLA linebacker Akeem Ayers name, you could instantly hear the mummers of his draft stock falling. Ayers is an imposing 6-3, 254-pound backer who displays an impressive blend of power and explosion at the point of attack. He’s the one linebacker this year on tape who had the physical capability of not only destroying opposing pulling linemen in the hole, but showcased the range to make plays in pursuit as well. Plus, for his size he exhibited impressive fluidity and balance when asked to change directions and demonstrated the straight-line speed to close quickly on the ball.

Therefore, should his slow 40-time really hurt his draft stock? In my view… no.

On tape he plays like a guy who runs 4.6 and even when watching him during his Combine workout, directly following his 4.8+ 40, he still looked very fluid for a big guy, was explosive out of his breaks and based off his workout alone, I would still say he could run in the 4.6 range.

Now, overall he will likely fall a bit further than he originally could have gone if he posted a better 40 time. However, much like Florida LB Brandon Spikes last year, who fell into the second round because of his slow 40-time, I could see Ayers end up having the same type of instant impact once he gets to the next level.

Ayers isn’t nearly the natural football player that Spikes is. However, he definitely possesses a gifted skill set, can anchor, can shed, can run and looks capable of being versatile enough to perform in just about any scheme. Plus, he has experience playing with his hand on the ground and exhibits some natural pass rush ability off the edge, making him an intriguing candidate for any 34 defense.

Every draft we see a number of good football players fall during this time of the year because of a poor 40 time, that end up developing into early impact players at the next level. And following the Combine, I think that prospect could end up being Ayers this year, and whatever team ends up getting their hands on him is going to be happy that he did.
                    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...day-steal.html

Comment

• Even at 41, I still wouldn't want Ayers. Just don't believe he's as physical and as sure a tackler that I want at that position... and this is coming from a Bradie basher.

Comment

• 40, we have pick 40, not 41!
                        Sorry that was really bugging me haha.

If we are going to grab a LB at 40 it should be Matez Wilson. I'm not to confident in Ayers.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                          Thanks for sharing that! Smith would be a very sound decision for us.
                          I guess I just see a totally different player than you. I'm really trying to buy into this guy because I want to believe there is a worthy top 10 tackle in this class, but then I come across videos like this and it makes me want to stay far away from him.

Yea, he's getting his QB killed in that video. Not really a desirable trait for me.

I've said it numerous times on here, Smith has bust written all over him. I really hope he's not the pick at 9.
                          Last edited by TheFinisher; 03-16-2011, 11:47 AM.
                          Cowboys Mock:
                          1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
                          2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
                          3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

Comment

• Any thoughts on Muhammad Wilkerson? I'd say behind Dareus and Watt, Wilkerson is probably my 3rd favorite 5 tech. Was a man amongst boys in the MAC. Depending on what we do in the 1st, I'd say he's one of my top targets for us in the 2nd, if he even lasts that long.

Last edited by TheFinisher; 03-16-2011, 12:41 PM.
                            Cowboys Mock:
                            1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
                            2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
                            3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

Comment

• Originally posted by TheFinisher View Post
                              I guess I just see a totally different player than you. I'm really trying to buy into this guy because I want to believe there is a worthy top 10 tackle in this class, but then I come across videos like this and it makes me want to stay far away from him.

Yea, he's getting his QB killed in that video. Not really a desirable trait for me.

I've said it numerous times on here, Smith has bust written all over him. I really hope he's not the pick at 9.
                              It's fine to doubt a prospect. I have doubts in every single prospect, even Patrick Peterson. I can't see that video since Youtube is blocked at work, but I've seen enough to know what my eyes tell me. A highlight clip is fine, but it doesn't define a 3 year career. Another thing to consider too is that his college film can't be heavily relied upon anymore. He was 285 pounds then, now he's over 300 and we really don't know what effect that will have. Will he be less effective or more effective? That's an unknown. Even if you watch his pro day or combine (I know he held out on some activities, but I don't know what), you still won't get an evaluation of him against football competition in his new body.

That said, the guy oozes athleticism and that much I do know. I also know his upside is high and he's a very coachable player. Is he a Joe Thomas caliber prospect? No. Is he a D'Brick calliber guy? I say yes. ...and remember, D'Brick wasn't a hit right off the bat when he came into the league and he has nicely played out the value of being drafted in the Top 5.

As for Wilkerson, you have to evaluate who else is on the board, what needs we have left. His value is in Round 2, so it wouldn't be a reach or a steal at our pick. It would just be even value.
                              Last edited by D-Unit; 03-16-2011, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• Wes Bunting mock and comments

http://www.cowboysnation.com/2011/03...t-part-1-d.htm

CN: Your third mock came out this morning and our buddy Tyron Smith is back to Dallas in the nine slot. Your site also has put out a series of pieces documenting where individual players will visit. One today has Smith going to Dallas and to Minnesota, who picks 12th overall. Given that you gave Smith to Washington at 10 in your first mock, is this Tyron Smith's range now, in the 9-12 zone? Does he have any competition to be the top OT?

Wes Bunting: I think Smith goes anywhere between 9 to 13. I think the Cowboys, Redskins, Vikings and Lions will give him hard looks at 9, 10, 12 and 13 and I don't see him lasting past that range. I believe he'll be the first tackle taken. I think he's the best offensive tackle in the draft.

CN: You raise an interesting question and you've anticipated one of the fans' questions. One wants to know more about Brandon Harris and why he might be slipping? He wants to know why he might be getting the McCourty treatment, as you put it.

WB: He's not the biggest guy. They have him listed at 5'11'' and he's about 5'9'' and a half. And he didn't have a great 40 time at the Combine. It was 4.44 and then it became 4.50 officially. He had a great workout though. He was fluid, he changed directions well, and on tape, I really liked the guy. On draft day, I think he could fall because he's not the biggest and not the fastest, but he plays fast and I think he plays faster than Amukamara. I have him rated higher than Amukamara.

CN: Have you heard anything more about Amukamara's possible slide? He now looks like a guy who could go what, in the 11 to 17 range or so?

WB: Yeah, I don't think he sneaks into the top 10, unless a team like Dallas picks him, and I don't think they would. And there are not that many teams up there that need a corner, and there will be better prospects out there. I think the Houston Texans might have a tough time passing on him if he's there. They have a need in their secondary and they can pair him with Kareem Jackson, and have two young physical corners who could play in off-man. I think it makes some sense.

CN: I want to stay in the first round and talk about your fresh mock. Last week we talked about the value of defensive linemen in this draft. You already had a dozen in your mock and today you have eleven down-defensive linemen, not counting 3-4 outside linebackers. You have Marvin Austin moving up this time.

I think This presents something of a nightmare scenario for the Cowboys. a lot of fans would be happy with Tyron Smith at 9, I know I would be, but now the attention swings to the 2nd round pick at 40 and who's left? You have the top OTs and the top interior prospect, Danny Watkins, going in the first. And you have so many d-linemen getting picked, I'm seeing a problem I posed last week, what type of d-lineman do you pick at the top of the 3rd round, now being an issue at the top of the 2nd round.

Let's say the Cowboys d-line pet cats are gone. J.J. Watt, Cameron Jordan and Phil Taylor are long gone. What then? I'm going to pair this with a story that come out on NFP yesterday, that good 3-4 teams at the bottom of the 2nd, the Steelers, the Packers, the Patriots and even the Eagles, are looking at Kendrick Ellis. Is he now rising in the 2nd the way Phil Taylor is in the 1st? Is he a guy who now projects in the 50-64 range?

WB: I think so. I think if you're a 3-4 team and you're looking for a defensive lineman in the 2nd, you have Cameron Heyward and Christian Ballard. Heyward is the safer pick and I think Ballard has more upside, but then you have Ellis, who is a really intriguing guy. A lot of mocks I see now have him in that 2nd round range and I think he could keep moving up and up.

The Giants took a defensive lineman from East Carolina last year, Linval Joseph, who had that same kind of rise. He's big, he's physical, he's explosive, he's got that good tape, but he was an underclassman, so it took some time for his tires to gain some traction, and I just think the closer we get to the draft the higher Kendrick Ellis will keep rising. I think he's a 2nd round lock now, to be honest.

CN: A question about Texas' corner Curtis Brown. Where does he rate in that 2nd level of corners and where does he project in the middle of March?

WB: I think he's a man corner. He's not overly physical off the line, but he can turn and run, he can track the football, he's fluid, he's fast out of his breaks. I like him more than Aaron Williams and Chykie Brown. He's not as physical as those two, I'd like to see him put on some weight, but when I watch them from the waist down, he's a much more fluid and coordinated cornerback and that's why I like him a bit more.

CN: A repeat question, but I think it's good to re-visit it. You're asked to compare Tyron Smith to the top tackles from last year's class.

WB: I'd probably have him number two. I'd have Russell Okung over him, because he's a senior, he's a little more polished and more NFL-ready. I think Tyron Smith has some more upside but my top tackles last year were Okung, Roger Saffold and Smith's USC bookend Charles Brown.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information