X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LonghornsLegend
    started a topic The 2011 Cowboys Draft Thread

The 2011 Cowboys Draft Thread

Were slacking around here, I think we had the 2010 thread up in May after the 09 draft, or maybe it was just due to depression in the draft lol.

I was pushing the Earl Thomas bandwagon last year and while he would of been perfect for us he was out of our range. This year is really looking like a strong Safety class and it would be hard to pass up some of these guys but AOA cannot be forgotten either.

Does anyone have any favorites as of now for players, or to make it easier, just a position were gonna target in the 1st round? I wouldn't mind an impact 3-4 DE like Canty that can get after the QB but Safety looks pretty good.

Everything I've learned about Rahim Moore I love, ballhawking FS that can capitalize on mistakes by the QB from the pressure we provide. That's easily our biggest need on DE, especially since creating turnovers has been lacking. Run support isn't there yet, but if he can react to the ball in the air like he's shown I could care less.

Deunta Williams may be a better prospect, more complete and better tackler, not sure he's the best fit for us though. I do like him and he's always stood out to me.

There are alot more safeties I'll probably look at later, these 2 are the most intriguing for now.

• D-Unit
    replied
    Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
    Nah...Lee and Carter are envisioned as the long term pairing at ILB...I'd guarantee that ILB wont be on our radar. OLB could be, if Spencer and Butler prove to be merely average or what not. We should really take a long look at DE as well. I certainly agree with D about going secondary early, though. In a perfect world, Jenkins and Scandrick return to form and we can focus on S.
    I'm not up to speed with the DBs yet, but if the value doesn't match and Burfict is there, it'd be heart breaking to see us pass on him. I'm a huge believer in having a game changing field general at ILB.

I just don't think Carter has that kind of upside.

But I agree with you MOTH, I think the Cowboys themselves think they have the future set. I just disagree with them.

Leave a comment:

• M.O.T.H.
    replied
    Nah...Lee and Carter are envisioned as the long term pairing at ILB...I'd guarantee that ILB wont be on our radar. OLB could be, if Spencer and Butler prove to be merely average or what not. We should really take a long look at DE as well. I certainly agree with D about going secondary early, though. In a perfect world, Jenkins and Scandrick return to form and we can focus on S.

Leave a comment:

• D-Unit
    replied
    Originally posted by JBCX View Post
    If a LB like, say, Vontaze Burflict or Teo Manti (sp?) is on the board where the Cowboys pick in the first round, would that be a decent pick maybe? As an ILB to pair opposite Sean Lee?
    Burfict yes. Te'o? Depends on the year he has.

Leave a comment:

• JBCX
    replied
    Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
    I especially hated the Carter pick because I thought he was too undersized to be a starting 3-4 ILB. So much so that I didn't even consider him an option for us. Ultimately, my best projection for him is as our long term solution at nickel LB... and that is just to high a pick to justify for that position.

Next year, I think we need to go CB and S in the first 2 rounds. Go for OL depth in FA.
    If a LB like, say, Vontaze Burflict or Teo Manti (sp?) is on the board where the Cowboys pick in the first round, would that be a decent pick maybe? As an ILB to pair opposite Sean Lee?

Leave a comment:

• D-Unit
    replied
    Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
    I dont know about all that...we seem to have been avoiding safety for years, with no real solid plan to back that up. Hooray for Alan Ball! :/

This next draft...should really be a defensively heavy draft for us. O-Line depth couldnt hurt, either.

As for the Carter pick...it was just weird because, sure it can possibily be a another value pick but, you just made essentially the same risky pick, at the same position a year earlier. I really hope we dont dont try to make a living off of drafting injured "value picks" all the time. Keep an eye out for highly rated prospects, fresh off of a serious knee injury this year...he's ours.
    I especially hated the Carter pick because I thought he was too undersized to be a starting 3-4 ILB. So much so that I didn't even consider him an option for us. Ultimately, my best projection for him is as our long term solution at nickel LB... and that is just to high a pick to justify for that position.

Next year, I think we need to go CB and S in the first 2 rounds. Go for OL depth in FA.

Leave a comment:

• M.O.T.H.
    replied
    I dont know about all that...we seem to have been avoiding safety for years, with no real solid plan to back that up. Hooray for Alan Ball! :/

This next draft...should really be a defensively heavy draft for us. O-Line depth couldnt hurt, either.

As for the Carter pick...it was just weird because, sure it can possibily be a another value pick but, you just made essentially the same risky pick, at the same position a year earlier. I really hope we dont dont try to make a living off of drafting injured "value picks" all the time. Keep an eye out for highly rated prospects, fresh off of a serious knee injury this year...he's ours.
    Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 08-16-2011, 06:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• D-Unit
    replied
    That's interesting. I like Murray over Williams actually. Still don't get the Carter pick though. They banked too hard on Asomugha. They probably thought he'd be a Cowboy all the way back then. Cause they avoided DBs in the draft like the Bubonic plague.

Leave a comment:

• M.O.T.H.
    replied
    I've always liked Ryan Williams...I didnt want an RB at all, though.

Leave a comment:

• thule
    replied
    So came across this today. Ryan Williams!!!!?!?! Wouldn't have saw that coming...think I'd rather have Murray.

BryanBroaddus: The Cowboys really wanted the Va Tech RB in the 2nd round but he was drafted ahead of them. The choice was then made for Carter.

Leave a comment:

• D-Unit
    replied
    Originally posted by UTPATS View Post
    I actually thought the opposite about him the more I watched...

I had a buddy tell me he was worth a second round pick despite the injury, so I went and watched some tape. At first glance, I was not a fan, especially for our style of defense, he looked slow, lost, soft, etc.

But I kept watching, and the more I watched, the better he became. It really seemed to click for him before he got hurt, the more he played the more disruption he caused. The way he chased down guys, the way he met guys in the backfield, the way he fought off blocks and simply out athleted them was incredible. I had to go back and eat my first words to my friend.

Of course, the big question will be will he recover from his injury and be who we drafted him to be, time will tell. But for now, I am OK with the pick.
    It's not so much that I don't like him. I can see potential. But I hate looking at the list of guys that we passed on to get him.

We wanted to keep our 2nd so bad that we didn't trade up for Patrick Peterson. Even if we stayed... I really liked Wisniewski.

Leave a comment:

• UTPATS
    replied
    Originally posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
    I know I am beating a dead horse because I already said this once, but I am no longer happy with the Bruce Carter pick. With no football insight, I have been watching lots of video on guys that were picked this year. Bruce Carter just doesn't do it for me.

For those that haven't watched his footage, you might want to go watch some. I am interested to see if anyone else sees what I am seeing. To me, he seems to let ball carriers come to him. I don't see him making plays. It looks like he is waiting for things to happen instead of making things happen.

I would like to hear anyone else's opinion on him if you guys have time.
    I actually thought the opposite about him the more I watched...

I had a buddy tell me he was worth a second round pick despite the injury, so I went and watched some tape. At first glance, I was not a fan, especially for our style of defense, he looked slow, lost, soft, etc.

But I kept watching, and the more I watched, the better he became. It really seemed to click for him before he got hurt, the more he played the more disruption he caused. The way he chased down guys, the way he met guys in the backfield, the way he fought off blocks and simply out athleted them was incredible. I had to go back and eat my first words to my friend.

Of course, the big question will be will he recover from his injury and be who we drafted him to be, time will tell. But for now, I am OK with the pick.

Leave a comment:

• Macarthur
    replied
    Well, I can't say I've watched any lately, but I certainly remember him being a heat seeking missile.

Leave a comment:

• HEISMANHERSCHEL
    replied
    I know I am beating a dead horse because I already said this once, but I am no longer happy with the Bruce Carter pick. With no football insight, I have been watching lots of video on guys that were picked this year. Bruce Carter just doesn't do it for me.

For those that haven't watched his footage, you might want to go watch some. I am interested to see if anyone else sees what I am seeing. To me, he seems to let ball carriers come to him. I don't see him making plays. It looks like he is waiting for things to happen instead of making things happen.

I would like to hear anyone else's opinion on him if you guys have time.

Leave a comment:

• HEISMANHERSCHEL
    replied
    I really hate to agree with any Eagles fan, but gametime made a statement then backed it up with several examples/true information. I hate the Eagles, but I think he is right on this one, unfortunately.
    Last edited by HEISMANHERSCHEL; 05-27-2011, 04:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information