The 2013 Free Agency Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2013 Free Agency Thread

Seeing as Jerry has always preferred the FA route for addressing the OL, I figured I'd start this thread off with this year's OL FAs. There are a lot of interesting names here.

Not sure how many actually hit FA, but this is a list we can start off with.

Jared Gaither, BAL
    Matt Light, NE
    Donald Penn, TB
    Jermon Bushrod, NO
    Willie Colon, PIT
    Carl Nicks, NO
    Logan Mankins, NE
    Ryan Kalil, CAR
    Daryn Colledge, GB
    Evan Mathis, CIN
    Alan Faneca, ARI
    Tyson Clabo, ATL
    Doug Free, DAL
    Ryan Harris, DEN
    Jon Jansen, DET
    Charlie Johnson, IND
    Tony Ugoh, IND
    Ryan O'Callaghan, KC
    Mario Henderson, OAK
    Khalif Barnes, OAK
    Jeromey Clary, SD
    Ray Willis, SEA
    Jeremy Trueblood, TB
    Stephon Heyer, WAS
    Reggie Wells, ARI
    Deuce Lutui, ARI
    Lyle Sendlein, ARI
    Quinn Ojinnaka, ATL
    Justin Blalock, ATL
    Harvey Dahl, ATL
    Marshal Yanda, BAL
    Chris Chester, BAL
    Josh Beekman, CHI
    Olin Kreutz, CHI
    Nate Livings, CIN
    Kyle Cook, CIN
    Kyle Kosier, DAL
    Manuel Ramirez, DET
    Jason Spitz, GB
    Uche Nwaneri, JAC
    Casey Wiegmann, KC
    Rudy Niswanger, KC
    Richie Incognito, MIA
    Jonathan Goodwin, NO
    Chris Morris, OAK
    Samson Satele, OAK
    Max Jean-Gilles, PHI
    Nick Cole, PHI
    David Baas, SF
    Chris Spencer, SEA
    John Greco, STL
    Mark Setterstrom, STL
    Davin Joseph, TB
    Leroy Harris, TEN

A coaching change will determine the free agent choices this offseason. I can se 3 to 4 OLinemen arriving via free agency. 1 elite player and 2 to 3 Kosier type lineman. We have been terrible at drafting OLinemen, but this line is built to run block and we simply don't consistently run the ball enough. Recently, we have run the ball more, but just when the RB's and Line get in there groove Garrett switches to the pass.

Comment

Just something to take note of:

BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Danny Woodhead are averaging 5.1 YPC since LG Logan Mankins returned four games ago.
      Mankins is a fierce run blocker, and he's also helped to keep Tom Brady clean, as well, as the Patriots have given up just two sacks over the last three contests. "I think their running game has become more of a factor,’’ said an NFC pro personnel director. "Mankins brought back a lot of kick-butt attitude to that line.’’
      Source: Boston Globe

So he basically wasn't rusty at all, and is out there dominating. Hopefully he's already pissed at the Pats and won't return. Can he be tagged? Because if it's a lock right now that he hits FA I don't see us getting outbid on him honestly.

It's been awhile since Jerry spent top dollar for a guy but we need the help now and he went to get Leonard Davis and Columbo when we needed them. You know he prefers FA O-lineman anyway, and Mankins is a huge addition.

I don't think Nicks will hit FA, but he'd be a nice option #2 if he did.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by ricowboy View Post
        ..... but this line is built to run block and we simply don't consistently run the ball enough.....
        We get no movement on our line even with the size.

They don't drive block well at all.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
          Just something to take note of:

So he basically wasn't rusty at all, and is out there dominating. Hopefully he's already pissed at the Pats and won't return. Can he be tagged? Because if it's a lock right now that he hits FA I don't see us getting outbid on him honestly.

It's been awhile since Jerry spent top dollar for a guy but we need the help now and he went to get Leonard Davis and Columbo when we needed them. You know he prefers FA O-lineman anyway, and Mankins is a huge addition.

I don't think Nicks will hit FA, but he'd be a nice option #2 if he did.
          Do not even joke about something like that. He has remembered what he loved about NE and wants to stay there for the rest of his career. All is forgiven...fingers crossed

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
            Do not even joke about something like that. He has remembered what he loved about NE and wants to stay there for the rest of his career. All is forgiven...fingers crossed
            What's the chances of you guys tagging and trading him? I'm just trying to figure out what your options are, I'm crossing my fingers he's gone lol.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
              What's the chances of you guys tagging and trading him? I'm just trying to figure out what your options are, I'm crossing my fingers he's gone lol.
              I dont see us letting him go for nothing. I think we would tag him and trade him if he won't sign long term

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

Without a new CBA I don't think teams can even apply the tag. The tag is one of the things players hate most about the old CBA. I don't know the facts though, so I'm going off assumption. However, I think the news that the new CBA is making progress is good. I think the tag will be altered or gone with.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit
                  Without a new CBA I don't think teams can even apply the tag. The tag is one of the things players hate most about the old CBA. I don't know the facts though, so I'm going off assumption. However, I think the news that the new CBA is making progress is good. I think the tag will be altered or gone with.
                  I read an article on PFT a few days ago and to sum it up, if you have a franchise player that you want to tag, you can do so. While the franchise tag could be removed depending on the new CBA, it doesnt make any sense to not franchise tag a player because if you dont and the franchise tag still exists in the new CBA, you're basically letting that player leave for free so mine as well franchise tag that player. The deadline to franchise tag players is still ten days before free agency starts. That remains the same as of the current CBA.

As a 49ers fan, im hoping they franchise NT Aubrayo Franklin for the second straight season. If he or other players dont like it, too bad. I sure as hell wouldnt let him leave for free and $7m+ for one season guaranteed is pretty damn good.

And OL wise, im hoping for the same player you guys want - OG Logan Mankins from NE. Only difference is that I want him to play RG next to rookie RT Anthony Davis because he'll only improve if he has a veteran RG next to him. Of course, I dont see NE letting him leave for free as they're not that stupid.

Comment

Question: If Quintin Mikell of the Eagles were to hit free agency this year, would it be worthwhile for the Cowboys to sign him? Could he be the solution to the safety problems the Cowboys have had for years?

Comment

Originally posted by Umoro View Post
                      Question: If Quintin Mikell of the Eagles were to hit free agency this year, would it be worthwhile for the Cowboys to sign him? Could he be the solution to the safety problems the Cowboys have had for years?
                      http://www.nfl.com/videos/washington...12-yard-TD-run

Hmmm, no thanks!
                      2013 Cowboys Forum Mock
                      - Cleveland Browns GM
                      - Dallas Cowboys GM
                      - Atlanta Falcons GM

Comment

Originally posted by UTPATS View Post
                        Whoa, Torain looks like a stud after that collision. Mikel really declined this year.

Comment

I don't like Mikell.
                          In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Justin Blalock needs to be our #1 FA target.

Comment

Yeah, Blalock or or Mankins. Blalock would come cheaper. If we can get one of those OT's in the draft and Blalock, I think we could live one more year with DAvis and Geroude. However, I think it would still be nice if we hit on a guard later in the draft that could take over for DAvis in 2012.

I think this would be a good plan:

2011:
                              Free
                              Blalock
                              Geroude
                              DAvis
                              Carimi/Sherrod/Cannon

2012:
                              Free
                              Blalock
                              Geroude
                              Moffitt/Chris Stewart/Keith Williams
                              Carimi/Sherrod/Cannon
                              In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information