No announcement yet.

Fix the Cowboys

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The line needs to be redone, but I'd keep three of them just to make the transition easier for younger guys. Davis makes too much and should be gone, and Columbo isn't much anymore. Both guys have run their course here and need to be cut. Keeping Free, Kosier, and Gurode gives at least some cohesion while inserting new starters on the right.

The only reason why I'd cut Barber is for money purposes, and I'd cut him since you have two good backs behind in him Felix and Choice. No matter who is the coach next season, the running game still will be important. You have two good backs already, so no need in trading either or them for anything unless some miracle falls in your lap.

Roy is the big question mark. Prior to Romo getting hurt he was looking like he'll have a Pro Bowl year with about 12 TDs. That's good and all, but Dez is slowly but surely growing into a great WR and Miles despite his drops is still having a pretty damn good year. Roy's contract makes it easier to cut him, but if they found a way to restructure it might work since he and Romo finally got some chemistry. To get more players though I'd cut him and free up some room.

On defense it really depends on what the scheme will be next year. If the new coach brings in a 4-3 then I'd focus more on getting linebackers. The switch would probably make the front 4 look like Ware, Ratliff, Igor/Bowen, Spencer. I'd be pretty content with that, but at backer what do you have? Lee and Bradie on the outside with Brooking on the inside? Bradie is stable but not great. I like Lee a lot, but his injury issues worry me. Brooking has heart, and I'd keep him but not as a starter. What linebackers are free agents that could come in and start for Brooking in the middle?

Even if they stick with a 3-4, something needs to be changed in the middle. It's just too wide open, and it has been for years. At D-line you could sign a guy to man the left end spot, or you could move Ratliff out there and get a nose. With the backers there needs to be a rock that makes teams think twice about throwing inside.

As far as the secondary goes, everyone is in agreement that at the very least Ball should never start a game again. Unless AOA looks spectacular in these last 8 games, it's time to go after a playmaker at FS. Everyone's eyes are on Patrick Peterson, and rightfully so. There's always a chance that you won't get him though. What if he doesn't come out, or what if someone ahead of them grabs him? There are a number of variables, so I wouldn't put all of my eggs in one basket with him. Hell what if you like Prince better and go after him instead? It could be a situation like Ware and Merriman where you go back in forth over who you like better up until it's time to pick. Either way it goes, that position needs to be addressed big time in the offseason. Even getting a vet in there for insurance while Peterson grows would be better than doing nothing like last year. Sensy isn't so bad. He reminds me a little bit of Kosier in the sense that fans dislike him a bit as a guy who brings nothing, but he's actually decent. He's no world beater at all, but he rarely causes problems and will occasionally make a play. He pairs well with Newman, and if you notice that side hasn't really been giving up too many points this year. Granted you have Ball, Scandrick, and an inconsistent Jenkins running around, but they still are pretty stable.

At corner you can go many different places. If Newman and Jenkins are still the starters it's not too bad considering that they're both good players. The key is getting a third corner that could come in and not be a liability. If it's a guy like Prince I'd be thrilled. The same thing if they decide to get Peterson and keep him at corner. A free agent would work here as well.
    "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
    ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

Originally posted by E-Man View Post
      Unless AOA looks spectacular in these last 8 games, it's time to go after a playmaker at FS.
      We won't find out till next year. He had a high ankle sprain and he was put on IR along with Spears to make room for DE depth guys. AoA can eventually be that guy but with only one full TC and an offseason program (next year) and an under his belt along with not playing a true FS in college I think his odds of being 'that guy' are slim. He's a project and I think we're going to have to be patient. 100% agree on Ball. If he comes back it's as a 3rd/4th CB. He ALMOST makes me miss Hamlin. :mrgreen:

I think if we are top 5 we have to go with whatever value is present (i.e not offensive lineman). PP would probably be the most likely although I'm MUCH more interested in that high 2nd. Perhaps a guy like Gabe Carimi if he happens to slip there would be absolutely what the doctor ordered. Still too far out to find out how much stocks are going to make it's entirely possible a guy with Sherrod pushes his stock top 10... although I'm not buying him as our choice.

I hope that we are active in FA although not to the point of going overboard. This oline doesn't need to be replaced with Leonard Davis sized contracts. Going from below average to average would be enough to restart our struggling offense.
      Originally posted by D-Unit
      I have no clue what Bortles is all about. Has a funny name though. Sounds like a Pokemon.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock

Comment

damn thats one hell of an aggressive FA plan. It would be great but personally I find it quite unrealistic from the outside looking in.

Comment

Thule you honestly think were gonna get Carl Nicks and Logan Mankins in one off-season? I think that's wishful thinking at best, the chances of that happening are slim to none, hell those players may not even be FA's let alone end up on our team.

Also, we have to put FS on the board with our 2nd round pick. Deunta Williams and Rahim Moore will be available there, probably first crack at a safety with that pick, so we need to weight their value with a lineman there.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trogdor View Post
            We won't find out till next year. He had a high ankle sprain and he was put on IR along with Spears to make room for DE depth guys. AoA can eventually be that guy but with only one full TC and an offseason program (next year) and an under his belt along with not playing a true FS in college I think his odds of being 'that guy' are slim. He's a project and I think we're going to have to be patient. 100% agree on Ball. If he comes back it's as a 3rd/4th CB. He ALMOST makes me miss Hamlin. :mrgreen:

I think if we are top 5 we have to go with whatever value is present (i.e not offensive lineman). PP would probably be the most likely although I'm MUCH more interested in that high 2nd. Perhaps a guy like Gabe Carimi if he happens to slip there would be absolutely what the doctor ordered. Still too far out to find out how much stocks are going to make it's entirely possible a guy with Sherrod pushes his stock top 10... although I'm not buying him as our choice.

I hope that we are active in FA although not to the point of going overboard. This oline doesn't need to be replaced with Leonard Davis sized contracts. Going from below average to average would be enough to restart our struggling offense.
            Damn. I didn't know AOA was on IR now. It's worrying me that he and Lee seem to have injury issues. I like AOA as a project because he's at least decent as a return guy. McCann does look better as a returner though, so maybe he gets the 4th CB spot while AOA is a straight safety.

I absolutely agree on the O-line thing. No need for the bigger contracts that may bite you in the ass later. Look at what happened when Rivera came on board. They can fix the line with a good FA if they don't do what got them there in the first place.
            "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
            ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

Originally posted by dsc1600 View Post
              I think you're right on Columbo being overpaid, but I don't know if it makes sense to cut him and Davis in the same year. I think he's got another year left of decent play. Better option than sending an untested rookie out there.

I also think you keep Sensabaugh, agree he's a JAG, but every team has a few of those guys and he would be good depth even if you found a starter there.

I really think we need to address pash rush as well. We just aren't getting to the QB, interested to see what if any difference there'll be post-Wade in the next 8 games.
              Columbo is cut because he is playing worse than an average 30-40 RT selected in the draft. Guys like Loadholt or Marcus McNeil can step in from day one on the right side and give us the production that Columbo has given in 2010. Columbo has blown assignments and shown regression from a physical standpoint. Now if anything he should be more mental advanced with every year...but his physical disabilities are regressing way faster than his mental ones are growing. When that is the case it's time to move on...he's to the point where he's not even serviceable anymore. Anytime a team needs pressure they put their best rusher on him and tell them to get the edge...if he seals that he is almost always open to the inside as a secondary move. Now that sounds pretty generic...but on the field this year he just isn't getting it done. He has no more upside his knees are shot...he is getting more health concerns...just time to cut the losses and move on.

I actually like Sensabaugh which is surpising to say after the things he's done to cost us games. He doesn't get as much publicity as Jenkins...but Sensy is just as guilty as quitting on plays. He just does it better...he'll instead ingage a blocker and just allow himself to be blocked out of the picture. His 0 ball skills are what kills me...everytime you see him on the screen he has great coverage yet he doesn't make a play on the ball. I see that Minnesota TD in the super bowl last year on repeat....that is him in one play. His deficiencies with the run game this year also don't do a lot to say he has "earned" his spot on this team in 2011. He can honestly go one way or the other...with this weak S class maybe it's better to keep him...but he is a FA and he sure didn't do enough on the field to justify a new contract imo.

I think adding pressure to this scheme we need to get that impact 5-tech. Bowen/Brent/Ratliff are 3 guys that will be ok...but we need another impact player like Ratliff...good news is this looks do able in the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by E-Man View Post
                The line needs to be redone, but I'd keep three of them just to make the transition easier for younger guys. Davis makes too much and should be gone, and Columbo isn't much anymore. Both guys have run their course here and need to be cut. Keeping Free, Kosier, and Gurode gives at least some cohesion while inserting new starters on the right.

The only reason why I'd cut Barber is for money purposes, and I'd cut him since you have two good backs behind in him Felix and Choice. No matter who is the coach next season, the running game still will be important. You have two good backs already, so no need in trading either or them for anything unless some miracle falls in your lap.

Roy is the big question mark. Prior to Romo getting hurt he was looking like he'll have a Pro Bowl year with about 12 TDs. That's good and all, but Dez is slowly but surely growing into a great WR and Miles despite his drops is still having a pretty damn good year. Roy's contract makes it easier to cut him, but if they found a way to restructure it might work since he and Romo finally got some chemistry. To get more players though I'd cut him and free up some room.

On defense it really depends on what the scheme will be next year. If the new coach brings in a 4-3 then I'd focus more on getting linebackers. The switch would probably make the front 4 look like Ware, Ratliff, Igor/Bowen, Spencer. I'd be pretty content with that, but at backer what do you have? Lee and Bradie on the outside with Brooking on the inside? Bradie is stable but not great. I like Lee a lot, but his injury issues worry me. Brooking has heart, and I'd keep him but not as a starter. What linebackers are free agents that could come in and start for Brooking in the middle?

Even if they stick with a 3-4, something needs to be changed in the middle. It's just too wide open, and it has been for years. At D-line you could sign a guy to man the left end spot, or you could move Ratliff out there and get a nose. With the backers there needs to be a rock that makes teams think twice about throwing inside.

As far as the secondary goes, everyone is in agreement that at the very least Ball should never start a game again. Unless AOA looks spectacular in these last 8 games, it's time to go after a playmaker at FS. Everyone's eyes are on Patrick Peterson, and rightfully so. There's always a chance that you won't get him though. What if he doesn't come out, or what if someone ahead of them grabs him? There are a number of variables, so I wouldn't put all of my eggs in one basket with him. Hell what if you like Prince better and go after him instead? It could be a situation like Ware and Merriman where you go back in forth over who you like better up until it's time to pick. Either way it goes, that position needs to be addressed big time in the offseason. Even getting a vet in there for insurance while Peterson grows would be better than doing nothing like last year. Sensy isn't so bad. He reminds me a little bit of Kosier in the sense that fans dislike him a bit as a guy who brings nothing, but he's actually decent. He's no world beater at all, but he rarely causes problems and will occasionally make a play. He pairs well with Newman, and if you notice that side hasn't really been giving up too many points this year. Granted you have Ball, Scandrick, and an inconsistent Jenkins running around, but they still are pretty stable.

At corner you can go many different places. If Newman and Jenkins are still the starters it's not too bad considering that they're both good players. The key is getting a third corner that could come in and not be a liability. If it's a guy like Prince I'd be thrilled. The same thing if they decide to get Peterson and keep him at corner. A free agent would work here as well.
                You are really going to give another contract to Koiser....has he ever played a full season for us even? Injury concerns and age don't bode well for another contract...I'm not saying it'd be right or wrong..but I think you have to give that more thought then you did.

AOA is on IR so we won't get to see him this year. Don't think you can expect him to start next year either...so definitely need to find a starter at safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
                  damn thats one hell of an aggressive FA plan. It would be great but personally I find it quite unrealistic from the outside looking in.
                  2 OL and 1 DL seem unrealistic?

I threw out some names that I thought we could look at targeting...namely the top players at the position of need. I didn't mean to infer that those named would all be dallas cowboys next year. Did you actually read or was this a browse...or do you think 3 starters is highly unlikely?

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                    Thule you honestly think were gonna get Carl Nicks and Logan Mankins in one off-season? I think that's wishful thinking at best, the chances of that happening are slim to none, hell those players may not even be FA's let alone end up on our team.

Also, we have to put FS on the board with our 2nd round pick. Deunta Williams and Rahim Moore will be available there, probably first crack at a safety with that pick, so we need to weight their value with a lineman there.
                    Honestly I think we'll get 1 interior OL and probably start Holland next year. But ideally I think 2 OL in FA allow us a lot more flexibility. Now 2 top end interior OL isn't very likely I'll agree...but listing every interior OL seemed a bit like overkill. I also have no idea who will be coaching or what ties we'll have to other players that are available. I also have no idea who will actually be available and who won't...we should see quite a few cuts of bad contracts after this year so the FA crop should look a little different when it comes that time. I was just throwing up some names and trying to make it clear we need to sign one of the big names in FA. I probably didn't make that clear...but target a big time OG and target a middle of the line starter for the OL and a body for DL and that'd be perfect.

In this scenario I picked Patrick Peterson with the full intent of playing him at safety. If this is how the draft fell I still wouldn't be opposed to going with Deunta Williams in the draft...but that said I think we'd need to address OL or 5-tech more. I also don't know if character concerns will get him to drop out of the first round...that said I do like him and would openly draft him in the 2nd if we went a different direction in the first round. I'm not solid on Rahim Moore at all...he is as soft as they come and the picks have disappeared this year. I like Jarrett more to tell you the truth because he is a more well rounder player who can't be taken advantage of in certain situations.

Comment

Originally posted by thule View Post
                      2 OL and 1 DL seem unrealistic?

I threw out some names that I thought we could look at targeting...namely the top players at the position of need. I didn't mean to infer that those named would all be dallas cowboys next year. Did you actually read or was this a browse...or do you think 3 starters is highly unlikely?
                      I don't think adding 3 FAs is unrealistic. Especially with the changes that are undoubtedly looming after the season. In fact, I'd say that's a conservative approach.

Comment

I'm hoping that we get 1 OG. 2 would really help to jump start our turn around, but I agree. Not sure which OL are going to be retained by their teams. I think we'll see some good OL released because of expensive contracts though. So there's a lot of unknowns.

As for Safety in Round 2... not happenin' if we take Peterson in the first.

Comment

Players to be put on the block:
                          Martellus Bennett
                          Igor Olshansky
                          Orlando Scandrick

Release Players (if you can't find trades):
                          Roy Williams - $5M
                          Marion Barber - $4.25M
                          Bradie James - $3.5M
                          Leonard Davis - $6M
                          Andre Gurode - $5.5M
                          Marc Colombo - $1.9M
                          Clears up: $20-25M

I hope Barber isn't let go, but I definitely think the possibility is there. Williams is a goner. As is Davis. I think there's a chance for Gurode to stay if he restructures his deal and agrees to move to OG. I think it'll be too difficult to sign 2 OGs in FA, so I think it would be in the interest of both parties to work something out. I don't think Gurode can make more on the market at this stage of his career. Colombo could be a cut casualty, but I don't think we can just rehaul the entire OL in 1 offseason and his $1.9M is not a huge savings. James is done in by the new coaching staff looking for a fresh start. I think Lee has a chance to get a lot more playing time in the second half of the season which should prepare him to start next year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do not resign:
                          Alan Ball RFA - $550K
                          Alex Barron - $2.73M
                          Jason Hatcher - $1.8M
                          Kyle Kosier - $3M
                          Marcus Spears - $1.2M
                          Gerald Sensabaugh - $1.8M
                          What they earned in 2010: $12M

Nothing there worth keeping.

Restructure:
                          Terence Newman - $9M

This is something that simply needs to get done. He doesn't deserve that much.

Resign:
                          Stephen Bowen
                          Sam Hurd
                          Doug Free
                          Bryan McCann

With the moves above we should have $30-35M to spend in FA. We'll need to resign some of our own guys. Outside of Free, they should be cheap contracts.

FA:
                          OG Logan Mankins
                          S Eric Weddle
                          CB Richard Marshall
                          ILB David Harris

We should have an active FA. Mankins hates NE ownership. He's earned his UFA status by joining the team last week. If he hadn't he'd hit FA once again as a RFA, and NE would have a lot of power over him. Up to us to show him the money now. As for Weddle, we saw the Chargers wrestle with Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill. I don't see them ponying up for Weddle now. It doesn't look like Carolina plans to bring Marshall back. Their loss... hopefully, our gain. There seems to be a decent crop for FA CBs. We need to get one that will help. The Jets are going to be strapped for cash. They just gave huge contracts to Revis, Mangold and D'brick Ferguson. They also have other FAs in Shaun Ellis, Antonio Cromartie, Braylon Edwards, Brodney Pool. They probably won't franchise Harris. So I see him being available.

Draft:
                          1. DB Patrick Peterson, LSU
                          2. OT Tyron Smith, USC
                          3. C Mike Brewster, Ohio State
                          4. DE Marvin Austin, UNC
                          5. NT Phil Taylor, Baylor
                          6. OG Will Rackley, Lehigh
                          7. K Kai Forbath, UCLA

2011 Roster:
                          QB Romo / Kitna / McGee
                          RB Choice / Jones
                          FB Gronkowski
                          WR Austin / Bryant / Hurd
                          TE Witten / Phillips / Bennett
                          LT Free / Smith
                          LG Mankins / Holland
                          C Brewster / Gurode
                          RG Gurode / Rackley
                          RT Smith / Young

DE Bowen / Austin
                          NT Taylor / Brent
                          DE Ratliff / Olshansky
                          OLB Ware / Butler
                          ILB Harris / L.Williams
                          ILB Lee / Brooking
                          OLB Spencer / B.Williams
                          CB Marshall / Scandrick
                          CB Jenkins / McCann
                          CB Newman
                          FS Peterson / McCray
                          SS Weddle / Church

K Buehler
                          K Forbath
                          KR Peterson
                          PR Bryant
                          LS Lacodeur
                          Last edited by D-Unit; 11-14-2010, 02:48 PM.

Comment

That looks pretty awesome D. A few things. 1 I would be scared of cutting Bradie because we need a new starter then, and do we know if Sean Lee is good enough right now? Does Brooking have another high caliber season left? Because it could be argued Bradie could be better then him in 2011.

Also want NO PART of putting Peterson at FS, I'd rather try your idea and put Newman there. You don't take 1 of the best CB prospects ever, and not put him at CB first especially since it's a need. Newman in the slot, all of a sudden our corners are MUCH better. If Peterson lacks put him at FS, but give me the WR who can shut down his WR and take away that side of the field vs a FS who can cover alot of ground and make plays.

I'd take Revis over Polamalu for our defense easily, now if he moves there then sure.

Mankins is #1 on our list and it seems likely he'll hit FA unless they tag him or something to piss him off or force a trade partner I don't know. We'd pay up big for him too. I don't see the entire line being rehauled at once either but it looks spot on with who is gonna be gone. I want to hit FA hard on the line, I'd hate to draft a 2nd or 3rd round guy to rely on as a starter on the line and he doesn't pan out.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

That looks pretty awesome D. A few things. 1 I would be scared of cutting Bradie because we need a new starter then, and do we know if Sean Lee is good enough right now? Does Brooking have another high caliber season left? Because it could be argued Bradie could be better then him in 2011.

Also want NO PART of putting Peterson at FS, I'd rather try your idea and put Newman there. You don't take 1 of the best CB prospects ever, and not put him at CB first especially since it's a need. Newman in the slot, all of a sudden our corners are MUCH better. If Peterson lacks put him at FS, but give me the WR who can shut down his WR and take away that side of the field vs a FS who can cover alot of ground and make plays.

I'd take Revis over Polamalu for our defense easily, now if he moves there then sure.

Mankins is #1 on our list and it seems likely he'll hit FA unless they tag him or something to piss him off or force a trade partner I don't know. We'd pay up big for him too. I don't see the entire line being rehauled at once either but it looks spot on with who is gonna be gone. I want to hit FA hard on the line, I'd hate to draft a 2nd or 3rd round guy to rely on as a starter on the line and he doesn't pan out.
                              The thing is....Peterson isn't an elite CB in college football. He doesn't lock down his side...when going up against NFL talent...such as Julio Jones recently he didn't shut him down. He actually has a history of not locking down his side of the field when put up against NFL talent WRs.

Thats the big misconception...he's elite because of his attributes...he's a once every 10 year prospect because of his measurables not because of his play on the field. He grades out as a good corner...probably still higher than Prince...that said tho...he also grades out as the top safety in this class for the same reasons. His best attribute is his ball skills imo...he treats every ball like it's being thrown to him.

He also excels at driving on the ball once he finds it...this is why you are see'ing some scouts talk about him being a possible safety prospect. He's known as a great tackler and really attacks on the field.

Honestly his only knock is craps he's had since middle school...but outside of that he could play anywhere. Nothing is said about him being a good safety...but to be honest, when gauging his strengths and weakness's neither one prohibits him from either position.

it's one thing to say he's an elite corner and he displays it on the field...but to be honest he hasn't been lockdown against NFL talent...and while he has the physical attributes to do that...he also has the physical attributes to be an elite safety. What position are we weaker at?

Don't say Newman can play safety...because while he is fundamentally sound in his tackling technique he isn't near physical enough to succeed at that...he's not a Rod Woodson...he is a silky smooth cover corner.

Comment

Originally posted by thule View Post
                                The thing is....Peterson isn't an elite CB in college football. He doesn't lock down his side...when going up against NFL talent...such as Julio Jones recently he didn't shut him down. He actually has a history of not locking down his side of the field when put up against NFL talent WRs.

Thats the big misconception...he's elite because of his attributes...he's a once every 10 year prospect because of his measurables not because of his play on the field. He grades out as a good corner...probably still higher than Prince...that said tho...he also grades out as the top safety in this class for the same reasons. His best attribute is his ball skills imo...he treats every ball like it's being thrown to him.

He also excels at driving on the ball once he finds it...this is why you are see'ing some scouts talk about him being a possible safety prospect. He's known as a great tackler and really attacks on the field.

Honestly his only knock is craps he's had since middle school...but outside of that he could play anywhere. Nothing is said about him being a good safety...but to be honest, when gauging his strengths and weakness's neither one prohibits him from either position.

it's one thing to say he's an elite corner and he displays it on the field...but to be honest he hasn't been lockdown against NFL talent...and while he has the physical attributes to do that...he also has the physical attributes to be an elite safety. What position are we weaker at?

Don't say Newman can play safety...because while he is fundamentally sound in his tackling technique he isn't near physical enough to succeed at that...he's not a Rod Woodson...he is a silky smooth cover corner.
                                Finally some sense. Rather pay Prince CB money and get a CB. Peterson is ATH and much like Landry.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information