Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's talk about Doug Free

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Let's talk about Doug Free

    Free, Free... Free.

    Let me just say that I don't expect a lot of people to agree with me when I say what I'm about to say... but that's what I have always loved doing anyways... Out of the box thinking.

    In the past I have lightly touched upon the topic of Free going back to Right Tackle. Then after the season, I mentioned that I think he's the final solution for us at Left Tackle and that his early season struggles were just a part of his transition to the left and getting comfortable there. So you could say, I've been waffling on my stance. RT? LT? which?

    Well I read something interesting that made me think that Free is best suited to be our future RT, and now... I think... I'm convinced.

    In run blocking Free was statistically, the TOP #1 run blocker in the league. In pass blocking he was 15th allowing our QB to get knocked to the ground 12 times this past season.

    Free may be a new starter to our OL, but he's no young buck. He's already 28 years old. He's not gonna give us a decade worth's of work at the position, like you would say about a Top OL draft pick coming into the league at 22 or 23 years old.

    RT is typically not a position you want to draft high. Especially at the 9th pick. However, LT would be... and it would be a smart choice assuming you don't draft a bust.

    These things considered, I just wouldn't put it out of the realm of reason to move Free back to RT. I think his dominance in the run game would be well utilized. I think his pass protection deficiencies would be subdued, with the QB facing his direction instead of having him on the blind side. I think we would get the most out of him at RT AND that it would benefit our team the most.

    However, we can't do that without a proper replacement for him at LT. It seems to me that most people are in agreement that we need a replacement for Columbo at RT immediately. But where most get confused is where that replacement will come from. I think it should be Free. I think others are thinking the draft.. and a very few might be looking at FA... even less than that looking at trade.

    If we think out of the box for a moment and look at the big picture of things... the long term future of the team... and combine Free's strength's, weaknesses and age, then the smart decision is to move him to the right and look aggressively for a LT solution.

    Your thoughts?

  • #2
    I don't understand why you you want to do all of this positional switching/fixing things that aren't broken.

    Free is our LT of the future and is fine there. There are no dominant LT's in this draft so an upgrade over him isn't really an option over him anyway.

    I'd Love Carimi or Costanzo at RT any day of the week. I wouldn't them on the left and free on the right.

    But Free is fine at left tackle and I'd leave him there if I could. Also, Jerry said they intend to leave him there.

    Comment


    • #3
      I think it's a disservice to Free if we only judge his performance based off of one year starting at LT. While I'm a man of the numbers, I still feel you have to give him one more year. With saying that, I'm not opposed to drafting a potential LT in the early rounds of this years draft. You cannot have too many good OL on your roster.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CDCB14 View Post
        I don't understand why you you want to do all of this positional switching/fixing things that aren't broken.

        Free is our LT of the future and is fine there. There are no dominant LT's in this draft so an upgrade over him isn't really an option over him anyway.

        I'd Love Carimi or Costanzo at RT any day of the week. I wouldn't them on the left and free on the right.

        But Free is fine at left tackle and I'd leave him there if I could. Also, Jerry said they intend to leave him there.
        I'm saying this now, because I think in the future we will continue to see Free struggle in the same area and people will THEN bring up the topic of moving Free to the right where he was the most successful in '09.

        I'm just beating everyone to the punch, like doooooo. ;)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by leroyisgod View Post
          I think it's a disservice to Free if we only judge his performance based off of one year starting at LT. While I'm a man of the numbers, I still feel you have to give him one more year. With saying that, I'm not opposed to drafting a potential LT in the early rounds of this years draft. You cannot have too many good OL on your roster.
          Yeah, that's looking at it from OUR (fans) point of view. However, I think the staff should be more knowledgeable about him based on practices and him being here SINCE 2007!

          Comment


          • #6
            As for your point about the QB getting tackled x-amount of times i've always thought that lousy QBs get sacked more than good QBs.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Babylon View Post
              As for your point about the QB getting tackled x-amount of times i've always thought that lousy QBs get sacked more than good QBs.
              Well, then you would be mistaken, because that's not totally true. It's only part of the equation. Many good QBs get hammered and not because they are lousy.

              Jay Cutler got hit the most this past year (56 sacks/92 hits) and I think it would be incorrect to call him lousy or immobile. That's just one example. I could go on about other QBs who get hit a lot, like Big Ben, Rodgers, McNabb, Flacco, Favre, etc.

              Comment


              • #8
                I don't see any reason on earth to move Free from his LT spot (where he is more physically suited than at RT) The only reason I could possibly understand moving him is if we make a serious run at Jared Gaither. And given his injury history, I'm not sure that would be a great idea either.

                It is certainly outside the box thinking, I'll give you that much.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Toby Flenderson View Post
                  I don't see any reason on earth to move Free from his LT spot (where he is more physically suited than at RT) The only reason I could possibly understand moving him is if we make a serious run at Jared Gaither. And given his injury history, I'm not sure that would be a great idea either.

                  It is certainly outside the box thinking, I'll give you that much.
                  I admit, it's unconventional. Sometimes I type... just food for thought. Things that are on my mind. Forums provide the best outlet for that kind of thinking.

                  Sooo... who are you? I've seen your posts... and well... they are weird.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                    Well, then you would be mistaken, because that's not totally true. It's only part of the equation. Many good QBs get hammered and not because they are lousy.

                    Jay Cutler got hit the most this past year (56 sacks/92 hits) and I think it would be incorrect to call him lousy or immobile. That's just one example. I could go on about other QBs who get hit a lot, like Big Ben, Rodgers, McNabb, Flacco, Favre, etc.
                    I don't think "lousy" qbs get hit more often, but look at the QBs you listed. They have shoddy offensive lines (save for Flacco) and they're known for holding on to the ball way too long. Ben and Rodgers are notorious for holding the ball longer than they should, same for Favre. Romo is one of the best in the league at getting rid of the ball, so i think he will make the offensive line look better. I think Free should stay at LT, i want OL picks in the middle rounds and some band-aids through FA.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                      I admit, it's unconventional. Sometimes I type... just food for thought. Things that are on my mind. Forums provide the best outlet for that kind of thinking.

                      Sooo... who are you? I've seen your posts... and well... they are weird.
                      Eh, no need to defend your opinions, I tend to do much of the same, but I don't post them. I'm pretty much no one, but love me some football. Lurked about these boards for some time. Since Keak Da Sneak was all over MJD out of UCLA. He was definitely right on that one.

                      My posts ARE weird, but I guess I'm a little weird myself.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Well welcome aboard, Toby Flenderson.
                        Cowboys Mock:
                        1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
                        2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
                        3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Toby Flenderson View Post
                          Eh, no need to defend your opinions, I tend to do much of the same, but I don't post them. I'm pretty much no one, but love me some football. Lurked about these boards for some time. Since Keak Da Sneak was all over MJD out of UCLA. He was definitely right on that one.

                          My posts ARE weird, but I guess I'm a little weird myself.
                          Nah, I meant I didn't get the feeling that you were a new poster based on your posts. I was thinking you were a previous poster. What is your old username?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                            Nah, I meant I didn't get the feeling that you were a new poster based on your posts. I was thinking you were a previous poster. What is your old username?
                            Thank Finisher.

                            I USED to be JONH4443, but I didn't use that almost at all either. I think, total, I've posted maybe 15-20 times.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Toby's with HR, so he's not really a part of our family here.


                              Also, he's divorced, so he's not really a part of his family, either.
                              Originally posted by 21ST
                              He was protecting his self
                              Originally posted by tjsunstein
                              From what? His leg?
                              Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                              That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                              "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

                              DeMarcus Ware

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information