why does d-unit like slow players?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why does d-unit like slow players?

d's favorite wideout is dwayne jarrett who just ran a 4.67 40. i cant remember a w.r thats been drafted in the first round running over a 4.6

d's favorite c.b. is daymeion hughs who just ran a 4.65 40. ive seen mocks with him in the 3rd round lately.

d's favorite r.b. is marshawn lynch who ran in the mid 4.5s compared to petersons 4.36. is also on record as saying lynch will be the better pro which is crazy imo.

so why the love for all the slow guys d?

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Dude, 40 times DON'T MEAN ANYTHING. Ed Reed ran a 4.54, and I don't think anyone is complaining about his speed. Football speed matters, not 40 times.

Comment

Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
      d's favorite wideout is dwayne jarrett who just ran a 4.67 40. i cant remember a w.r thats been drafted in the first round running over a 4.6

d's favorite c.b. is daymeion hughs who just ran a 4.65 40. ive seen mocks with him in the 3rd round lately.

d's favorite r.b. is marshawn lynch who ran in the mid 4.5s compared to petersons 4.36. is also on record as saying lynch will be the better pro which is crazy imo.

so why the love for all the slow guys d?
      Slow? You just mean a slow 40 time. That's all. I'd like to see 40 times of players before a game, during a game and after a game. I would love to see that! I would love to see who's still fast after a hard fought game. Some people fail to realize that football is not a track event. There are soo many other factors involved.

DJ's 4.67 is the slower time. He also ran a 4.62... people are saying it was on an incline too, I dunno about the truthfulness, but I didn't expect him to run a 4.4 or anything. Vince Young ran a 4.6...

Quite honestly, I don't think you can just grade a player off of their 40 time. 40 times don't make a football player. You have to include it in part of their grade and make up, but you also have many other factors involved. Too much to even list and it differs for every position. Take WR for example...

Speed, Height, Weight, Upper Body Strength, Lower Body Strength, Vertical, Atleticism, Hands, Hand Size, Hand Strength, Hand Eye Coordination, Technique (a thousand variables in that alone), Instinct, Football Smarts, Route Running, Ability to Adjust to the ball, Conditioning, Endurance threshold, Competitiveness, Confidence, Clutch ability, Big game player, College Production, Signs of progression in college, Experience, Playing Style.... those are just some of the physical grades.

Then you have character/personal grades... Maturity, Life Style, Family Life, Family Surroundings, Family Genes, Intelligence, Work Ethic, Fast Learner, Good Student, Study Habits, Can he speak well, Can he communicate clearly, Good member of the community, Recommendations from others, How he was brought up, and on and on and on...

So back to 40 times... A lot of people guage a player off that 40 time alone and start talking about moving a player up and down big boards.... how he deserves to go here and there because of it... I guess you can safely say, I'm not one of those guys.

I think Calvin Johnson is the best WR prospect in the history of football and will be the greatest WR out of this draft class. DJ is just a personal favorite.

Hughes amazed me throughout his college career. What can I say? I believe what my eyes show me.

Lynch may or may not have a better career than AD, but a lot depends on the team they go to. A Lot. As far as skill set, I think Lynch has a better chance of succeeding in the NFL because of his running style, compact body, and all around game. I liken him to Shaun Alexander. I liken AD to Eddie George.

Comment

You tell them D-Unit!

Comment

Originally posted by TNewFan41 View Post
          Dude, 40 times DON'T MEAN ANYTHING. Ed Reed ran a 4.54, and I don't think anyone is complaining about his speed. Football speed matters, not 40 times.
          flip flop boy is back at it again i see.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
            Slow? You just mean a slow 40 time. That's all. I'd like to see 40 times of players before a game, during a game and after a game. I would love to see that! I would love to see who's still fast after a hard fought game. Some people fail to realize that football is not a track event. There are soo many other factors involved.

DJ's 4.67 is the slower time. He also ran a 4.62... people are saying it was on an incline too, I dunno about the truthfulness, but I didn't expect him to run a 4.4 or anything. Vince Young ran a 4.6...

Quite honestly, I don't think you can just grade a player off of their 40 time. 40 times don't make a football player. You have to include it in part of their grade and make up, but you also have many other factors involved. Too much to even list and it differs for every position. Take WR for example...

Speed, Height, Weight, Upper Body Strength, Lower Body Strength, Vertical, Atleticism, Hands, Hand Size, Hand Strength, Hand Eye Coordination, Technique (a thousand variables in that alone), Instinct, Football Smarts, Route Running, Ability to Adjust to the ball, Conditioning, Endurance threshold, Competitiveness, Confidence, Clutch ability, Big game player, College Production, Signs of progression in college, Experience, Playing Style.... those are just some of the physical grades.

Then you have character/personal grades... Maturity, Life Style, Family Life, Family Surroundings, Family Genes, Intelligence, Work Ethic, Fast Learner, Good Student, Study Habits, Can he speak well, Can he communicate clearly, Good member of the community, Recommendations from others, How he was brought up, and on and on and on...

So back to 40 times... A lot of people guage a player off that 40 time alone and start talking about moving a player up and down big boards.... how he deserves to go here and there because of it... I guess you can safely say, I'm not one of those guys.

I think Calvin Johnson is the best WR prospect in the history of football and will be the greatest WR out of this draft class. DJ is just a personal favorite.

Hughes amazed me throughout his college career. What can I say? I believe what my eyes show me.

Lynch may or may not have a better career than AD, but a lot depends on the team they go to. A Lot. As far as skill set, I think Lynch has a better chance of succeeding in the NFL because of his running style, compact body, and all around game. I liken him to Shaun Alexander. I liken AD to Eddie George.
            very nice response. i was just giving you a hard time anyway. interesting that you compare lynch to alexander because alot of the sites/mags ive seen compare A.D. to alexander.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

Adrian Peterson = Shaun Alexander??? I'm dumbfounded.

Comment

It's just d=unit's pity for west coast players :P

Comment

The real crux of the issue is that D-Unit values College Production more than measurables.

Thule and I tend to value measurables more than many people here.

To me, there are just so many variables trying to equate one player's production in college to another that it's almost impossible. Measurables however are by definition impartial characteristics.

That being said, you can't just go on measurables. The skill set must meet a 'minimum standard' to even matter, but after that it's more about what the player can do on the football field.

I do think that Hughes in the third round is a reach now too. His 40 time is absolutely below the 'minimum standard' for starting CB's in the NFL. I can't see spending anything more than a 6th round pick on him.

Jarrett, I wouldn't draft him before round 3 now. His 40 time is approaching the 'doesn't meet minimum standards'.

Lynch's 4.5 is still good enough for minimum standards so his times don't bother me.

Designs by Thule

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                  I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

Ya if I had to factor the three main characters it would go

1)Character
                    2)Raw Potential
                    3)College Production

For instance...guys like Lynch/Meriweather/Lendale White last year...all scare me because of their thug appeal. Don't get me wrong...I'm more than willing to draft a player with issues..but that is what the late round picks are for. Ramonce Taylor is someone I really like...on the second day...I was even mildly intrigued by Ryan Moore before the combine.

But you look at the best players in the NFL and what do they have in common...Character. You look at the Patriots who always seem to be drafting on character to some point. Teams that succeed in the NFL have great work ethic and willingness to work together for one goal.

Comment

Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
                      Larry Fitzgerald ran a 4.63 but I would take him on my team any day of the week.

Comment

With a wide receiver like Jarrett specifically, speed is not the all-important factor. Jarrett is able to use his body to creat separation, whereas lots of other wide receivers have to use their legs. Furthermore, Jarrett may not need the separation that other wide receivers get because of his tremendous hands.

I seriously doubt that if you timed a number of the "big-time" wide receivers in the NFL right now that they'd run faster than Jarrett.

Comment

Originally posted by thule View Post
                          Ya if I had to factor the three main characters it would go

1)Character
                          2)Raw Potential
                          3)College Production

For instance...guys like Lynch/Meriweather/Lendale White last year...all scare me because of their thug appeal. Don't get me wrong...I'm more than willing to draft a player with issues..but that is what the late round picks are for. Ramonce Taylor is someone I really like...on the second day...I was even mildly intrigued by Ryan Moore before the combine.

But you look at the best players in the NFL and what do they have in common...Character. You look at the Patriots who always seem to be drafting on character to some point. Teams that succeed in the NFL have great work ethic and willingness to work together for one goal.
                          hmmmmm Ramonce Taylor, doesn't ring a bell really. How good is this kid?

Comment

Originally posted by bigmac076 View Post
                            hmmmmm Ramonce Taylor, doesn't ring a bell really. How good is this kid?
                            He spent two years at Texas before he got thrown off the team. He's got some definite character issues to consider. But the guy is a real talent, and can play both RB and WR, although I think RB is his natural position. I would definitely be in favor of spending a 2nd day pick on him.

Comment

D-Unit, you're probably Jarrett's biggest supporter on this board. I've been intrigued by him also; he really impressed me in the Rose Bowl last year. I'm not concerned by his 40 time 'cause I don't think that's his football speed, but I am concerned by his struggles with press coverage against guys like Houston. You've no doubt watched him more than I have; is this a legitmate criticism?

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information