This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
    I think the growth of Anthony Spencer and Mike Jenkins were probably the 2 biggest impacts for your team in the 2nd half of the season.
    They have been huge. I have to throw out BIG TIME props to Keith Brooking though. He's really emerged as a big time emotional leader. The team working together is the heart... Brooking is the "sound" of that beating heart.

Comment

• I think thule makes a good point about his age.

He's still a kid. And his blocking has been very good. If you notice, many times they put him on the line and he's matched up on DE's quite a bit. I think we need to keep him another year and see his progress before we even give any thought to moving him. He's young, talented and cap friendly. I think patience will pay off.
      In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
        They have been huge. I have to throw out BIG TIME props to Keith Brooking though. He's really emerged as a big time emotional leader. The team working together is the heart... Brooking is the "sound" of that beating heart.
        I don't know if anyone heard but apparently in TC one of the DB missed an assignment and Brooking went and chewed his A8 off. The DB (un-named) popped off on Brooking. Brooking the finished the next play and right after it punched the DB in the head for talking back to him. Apparently that settled the score and set the tone for the D this year.

Comment

• The defense is the key to getting to Miami. Michael Irvin said that he thinks they're playing better than any team right now, and it's really hard to argue against that. I'm not saying they win it all because you gotta take things one game at a time, but the defense is playing championship caliber right now. Brooking has brought the heart, and Spencer and Jenkins have really stepped up to shut things down in a huge way. I give Wade all the props in the world for getting them playing like this. I'll gladly eat my crow for saying that he should have been fired after the Rams game last year.
          "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
          ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

• Here's an interesting article on why I think Garrett is a real keeper.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2010/...-the#storyjump

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
              I don't know if anyone heard but apparently in TC one of the DB missed an assignment and Brooking went and chewed his A8 off. The DB (un-named) popped off on Brooking. Brooking the finished the next play and right after it punched the DB in the head for talking back to him. Apparently that settled the score and set the tone for the D this year.
              That was a great story from the commentary during that game, I'm always impressed when the banter is actually good. Any guesses on the DB? Probably a starter considering Brooking works with the 1st team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
                That was a great story from the commentary during that game, I'm always impressed when the banter is actually good. Any guesses on the DB? Probably a starter considering Brooking works with the 1st team.
                My guess is Jenkins.

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                  Here's an interesting article on why I think Garrett is a real keeper.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2010/...-the#storyjump
                  As soon as I saw the word "numberology" in that article, I lost focus. BTB is just not interesting anymore.

Comment

• Anyone else worried about Flozell going against Jared Allen and the deafening noise in that dome?

Comment

• Wade should still be fired. I've seen enough, and not even a Super Bowl win will convince me otherwise.

Good to see you posting around here again, BBD, its been awhile since we've talked, bro. Spencer and Jenkins have obviously been huge developments for this team. If Spencer can sustain this level of play, it will transform this team in a way that should strike the fear of God into the entire league. Now Dallas can pressure the QB and collapse the pocket without ever having to bring more than 5, and be able to rely on 4 man rushes predominantly as well. Spencer is playing as well as any pass rusher in the league atm, and I never thought I would see myself type those words. Its been awesome to see.

I want to chime in on Bennett, though. I'm going to make a cross-sport comparison, here, so just go with me. But I think that Bennett is in a very similar situation right now to Andrew Bynum of the Lakers. With Gasol out, Bynum has looked like a young Tim Duncan or David Robinson. He has been flat out dominant. However, just as soon as Gasol comes back in the lineup, he regresses. His rebounding falls off, his defense sags, he looks lost on the court and quits playing with as much energy. He's a completely different player.

This is exactly what is going on with Bennett. He's an alpha dog, and he is struggling to find a way to fit into a supporting role. In preseason, when he was getting a ton of reps and getting plays called for him, he flat dominated. He was every bit as good as Witten--and I know that's practically sacrilege to say, but it is what it is--and was arguably the best player in camp and exhibition play on the team.

He needs to be the guy. Much in the same way that Anthony Spencer needed to be the guy. He just wasn't the type who could come in and give you big production off the bench or in small doses. Some guys can, some can't. He can't, and its obvious. But it certainly fits into his personal profile.

So, solutions? I think if you're Dallas, you quietly--VERY quietly--start gauging any interest for Witten. He's an All Timer, an amazing player who is integral to the team, but he's coming up on 30 and his value is at its peak right this minute. If you can get two firsts or a first and a second, you should look at it. I don't see how a team like Cincinnati, New England, Miami, Carolina, or KC wouldn't look at giving up a nice ransom to have an A+ at the position. Teams with a good and/or young QB who needs a reliable target or safety blanket might be willing to send a lot of value.

That said, I am not in favor of trading Witten unless we get a massive amount of value in return AND have a specific plan for a player that solves a serious issue. For example: let's say Dallas' FO decides that our S position has to be resolved. The do not feel that they will be able to retain Gerald Sensabaugh for reasonable value, Ken Hamlin has been a mild disappointment and they want to address the position. They stack the draft board and Earl Thomas rates as a top 10 pick who they feel like they may able to position themselves to get in the early teens. They feel that Miami may have serious interest in Witten and decide to float his name to BP in casual talks. BP takes the bait and, after extensive back and forth he offers this year's first (#12) and second (#44).

This is the type of scenario that would have to unfold to make it work for me, personally, and even then I would be devastated.

BUT, and here's where the reality of things come into play, I think Martellus Bennett is a future All Pro. The guy has all the qualities you look for, and is a natural born TE. If Dallas trades him, I guarantee we will have seller's remorse. There's no way we're getting more than a 2nd for him, and probably not even that. And with Witten here, we won't get more than 40% of what he is capable of giving us. We hit a home run with him, and I don't want to see another team getting the benefit of that home run.

Just my .02
                      Originally posted by 21ST
                      He was protecting his self
                      Originally posted by tjsunstein
                      From what? His leg?
                      Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                      That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                      "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
                        As soon as I saw the word "numberology" in that article, I lost focus. BTB is just not interesting anymore.
                        Wtf? Couldn't be more off base. BTB is the best Cowboy coverage on the internet and there isn't a close 2nd. Rafael is the best analyst going right now. Amazing stuff.

Maybe you're more into fluff coverage?
                        Originally posted by 21ST
                        He was protecting his self
                        Originally posted by tjsunstein
                        From what? His leg?
                        Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                        That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                        "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
                          Wtf? Couldn't be more off base. BTB is the best Cowboy coverage on the internet and there isn't a close 2nd. Rafael is the best analyst going right now. Amazing stuff.

Maybe you're more into fluff coverage?
                          Yeah you nailed it, I enjoy shallow fluff pieces exclusively.

Comment

• Shallow? Yeah, I guess you put soooo much more research into each of your posts. :)

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                              Shallow? Yeah, I guess you put soooo much more research into each of your posts. :)
                              I have no clue what you think I said, but I was sarcastically responding to DMW's mildly insulting post.

Comment

• That's a great BTB article. One of the better ones they've posted. Every now and then they drop a gem, and it keeps me coming back.
                                As I said, I really believe JG is(and should be) the future at HC. Wade is obviously the catalyst on the defensive side of the ball, and really the catalyst to why the 'Boys are doing so well ATM, going forward though...There's no reason we should allow JG to go. His stock obviously took a dip last year, but 2 out of 3 years he's had this offense rolling. Experience is the mother of all teachers, and he's gaining more and more confidence in his system and knowledge every week. The last thing I want is for Jerry to get cute and let him go, and the offense take a step back. Catch 22, because the same can be said for Wade and the Defense.

I just want JG here. I don't care what it takes, I see big things for many years out of "Red Jesus".

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information