Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blah JG has pro's and con's like many. D probably said it best...he will be a gem down the road...but right now he still has his problems. You can't say he hasn't gotten better tho. Regaurdless...JG isn't going to be let go...it will be his decision to move on or not. I really don't care...ya I love the way Tony has developed this year under him...but I have a hunch Kitna had a big part in it...since he is really the only piece that changed around tony. So if JG leaves...w/e bring in Dan Reeves and we'd still have a top 5 offense.

Comment

• I'm sooooooooo jacked for Sunday already. So much talent in the dome come Sunday afternoon. I will say one thing. That place is going to be absolutely nuts. Good thing you guys have already won in New Orleans.

The Metrodome keeps noise in it very well.. I hope Flozell gets like 30 false starts, haha.
      "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

• I love BTB, I don't know why some people don't enjoy it. Some of the post there with the depth they go into you just don't get that coverage anywhere. Not FW Star Telegram, definately not the DMN Blog, I frequently visit numerous blogs just to find good info and I've never come across one that is as active, and in depth as BTB is.

Most post they break stuff down and tell you what's going on through the play with stuff you can't find anywhere else on the net, I don't know how anyone could have a problem with that stuff.

If there's a blogging site that dominates BTB I'd love to know what it is so I can sign up there, seriously, I'm always looking for good Cowboys info but I've never came close to finding one that matched up with the breakdowns BTB provides.

Not only that, but how many Cowboys sites you can read through 500+ comments on some threads and no idiotic comments? None of that crap on DMN at all, not that everyone is super knowledgeable but they can all chime in with game thoughts and be adults about it and engage in conversation with 3-4 village idiots ruining it for everyone.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• I've seriously only visited BTB like 5 times ever. DMN on the other hand...complete trash most of the time. Fun during TC, with the practice play by play. I never comment over there, though. bleh.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
          http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
          KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
            Wade should still be fired. I've seen enough, and not even a Super Bowl win will convince me otherwise.

Good to see you posting around here again, BBD, its been awhile since we've talked, bro. Spencer and Jenkins have obviously been huge developments for this team. If Spencer can sustain this level of play, it will transform this team in a way that should strike the fear of God into the entire league. Now Dallas can pressure the QB and collapse the pocket without ever having to bring more than 5, and be able to rely on 4 man rushes predominantly as well. Spencer is playing as well as any pass rusher in the league atm, and I never thought I would see myself type those words. Its been awesome to see.

I want to chime in on Bennett, though. I'm going to make a cross-sport comparison, here, so just go with me. But I think that Bennett is in a very similar situation right now to Andrew Bynum of the Lakers. With Gasol out, Bynum has looked like a young Tim Duncan or David Robinson. He has been flat out dominant. However, just as soon as Gasol comes back in the lineup, he regresses. His rebounding falls off, his defense sags, he looks lost on the court and quits playing with as much energy. He's a completely different player.

This is exactly what is going on with Bennett. He's an alpha dog, and he is struggling to find a way to fit into a supporting role. In preseason, when he was getting a ton of reps and getting plays called for him, he flat dominated. He was every bit as good as Witten--and I know that's practically sacrilege to say, but it is what it is--and was arguably the best player in camp and exhibition play on the team.

He needs to be the guy. Much in the same way that Anthony Spencer needed to be the guy. He just wasn't the type who could come in and give you big production off the bench or in small doses. Some guys can, some can't. He can't, and its obvious. But it certainly fits into his personal profile.

So, solutions? I think if you're Dallas, you quietly--VERY quietly--start gauging any interest for Witten. He's an All Timer, an amazing player who is integral to the team, but he's coming up on 30 and his value is at its peak right this minute. If you can get two firsts or a first and a second, you should look at it. I don't see how a team like Cincinnati, New England, Miami, Carolina, or KC wouldn't look at giving up a nice ransom to have an A+ at the position. Teams with a good and/or young QB who needs a reliable target or safety blanket might be willing to send a lot of value.

That said, I am not in favor of trading Witten unless we get a massive amount of value in return AND have a specific plan for a player that solves a serious issue. For example: let's say Dallas' FO decides that our S position has to be resolved. The do not feel that they will be able to retain Gerald Sensabaugh for reasonable value, Ken Hamlin has been a mild disappointment and they want to address the position. They stack the draft board and Earl Thomas rates as a top 10 pick who they feel like they may able to position themselves to get in the early teens. They feel that Miami may have serious interest in Witten and decide to float his name to BP in casual talks. BP takes the bait and, after extensive back and forth he offers this year's first (#12) and second (#44).

This is the type of scenario that would have to unfold to make it work for me, personally, and even then I would be devastated.

BUT, and here's where the reality of things come into play, I think Martellus Bennett is a future All Pro. The guy has all the qualities you look for, and is a natural born TE. If Dallas trades him, I guarantee we will have seller's remorse. There's no way we're getting more than a 2nd for him, and probably not even that. And with Witten here, we won't get more than 40% of what he is capable of giving us. We hit a home run with him, and I don't want to see another team getting the benefit of that home run.

Just my .02
            Man I love reading your posts but firing Wade IF we win a SB and trading Witten because we have a guy with talent behind him? I dont like either. Wade is, what, 35-15 or so with 2 NFC EAST Titles? Add a SB along with what he's done with this D would be crazy IMO. As far as Witten, he brings way more to the team than just stats. He is a leader that plays through injuries, is Romo's best friend and hes still a stud. No way would I trade him.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• Yea, firing Wade at this point doesn't make much sense to me. Look at the dude's body of work in 3 years.

We won the division 2 out of 3 years. We had a winning record all 3 years. Defense has gotten better and better, and since he took over control it's taken the next leap to elite status.

I don't know what people want Wade to do geez, he's not Vince Lombardi, but for all the talk of firing him I find it hard to believe someone would do much better in 3 years then he has. He's proven his worth this year especially down the stretch, he deserves most of the credit for where were at right now.

I was all for talking about changing head coaches early December, because had we folded he needed to go, but now any talk of him going is just being unappreciative. Cowboys fans sometimes want the world from everyone and our history probably made it that way, but Wade has caught alot of hell here when he's traditionally done a very good job and he deserves an extension. Saying that he deserves to be fired after winning the SB is about as ridiculous as I've heard honestly.

Also Witten won't be traded, him and Romo will be here as long as they want to so no need to go into those scenarios. Witten is a HOFer and he'll be with us at the very least as long as Gonzo was with the Chiefs, or at least until Romo retires, but I see no signs of him slowing down at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule View Post
                Blah JG has pro's and con's like many. D probably said it best...he will be a gem down the road...but right now he still has his problems. You can't say he hasn't gotten better tho. Regaurdless...JG isn't going to be let go...it will be his decision to move on or not. I really don't care...ya I love the way Tony has developed this year under him...but I have a hunch Kitna had a big part in it...since he is really the only piece that changed around tony. So if JG leaves...w/e bring in Dan Reeves and we'd still have a top 5 offense.
                Yeah, who ever says Garrett has always been this good is an ignorant fan. There's absolutely no doubt that we have dealt with the struggles of his maturation as an NFL OC. I sure am happy with the progress, and he's quieted the shouts for his firing for the time being, but I think he needs to continue to prove himself. Obviously, we hired him while he was still wet behind the ears. Case in point... Look how long it has taken him to simply figure out how to use Felix. He still has yet to figure out how to use Bennett. As of right now, that 2nd rounder we used on Bennett has not yielded the value of it's cost. Remember... Jerry wanted to move up for a WR in that 2nd round and his constituents advised him to wait and they ended up with Bennett. Back to Garrett. It's nice to see the progress... I hope it continues.

Comment

• Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
                  Man I love reading your posts but firing Wade IF we win a SB and trading Witten because we have a guy with talent behind him? I dont like either. Wade is, what, 35-15 or so with 2 NFC EAST Titles? Add a SB along with what he's done with this D would be crazy IMO. As far as Witten, he brings way more to the team than just stats. He is a leader that plays through injuries, is Romo's best friend and hes still a stud. No way would I trade him.
                  Yeah, both seem to be pretty radical notions with how everything is flowing right now. But if you could only take ONE lesson from history, its that once an issue has become apparent and beyond argument, its too late to do anything about it. Its my belief that by the time Wade has proved himself to be the wrong man for the job, stone-cold proved it, he will have wasted the primes of Witten, Ware, Romo, Newman and Austin and pissed away what could have been half a decade of dominance with his incompetence. Wade is a "pretty good" coach who is capable of doing a respectable job and fielding a respectable team. He's not going to be centerpiece for a perennial contender. And everyone knows it, but things like the record you cited (33-15, but really only 22-14 since the 11-1 start) and other partial measures of success provide just enough evidence to HOPE. As Mike Lombardi is so fond of saying "don't mistake hope for a plan."

As for trading Witten...trust me, no one would be more devastated than me. Aside from Ware, he is my favorite Cowboy, there isn't a better model for what an NFL player should be than Jason Witten. He's easy to love, and he brings so much to the team you would never want to see him go. But let's be real; you only do the trade under two conditions: 1) if you are ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED that Bennett is a future All Pro in his own right (I am, obviously) and 2) if you can stealthily find a home run of a deal in terms of value.

Who knows what the Cowboys feel on the first count, though the fact that they had him rated as a 1st round talent on draft day and then later kept him when offered a 2nd rounder in return from Cinncy suggests that they do in fact believe that he is going to be special. The 2nd is much trickier, and you don't want to burn your bridge with the player by shopping him around, so it would be a very delicate task, indeed.

Overall, its a dream scenario. Teams simply don't have the cajones to trade players like him during their primes. It does not happen. But if you look at instances where team's have had the balls to do so, its payed off big time. San Fran could have ridden Montana for 2 or 3 more years, likely played very well and won several playoff games, and ultimately cost themselves a chance at the 94 SB because Montana would have retired and they would have lost Steve Young waiting for him to play himself out. They had the balls to trade the greatest QB of all time while he was still very capable of playing at a high level.

New Englad labored under a decade of stink ridden crap waiting for a franchise QB. Along came Drew Bledsoe and all of NE fell in love. He took them to a SB and played the role of hero in another AFCC. But Belicheck could see that Brady was a better player, and that Drew would hold the team back...along with the fact that they could get TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS out of the deal. They pulled the trigger, the rest is history.

Right now, San Diego is suffering from NOT having the balls. Instead of sporting a Thunder and Lightning rotation of Michael Turner and Darren Sproles they are having to overcome their pathetic running game week in and week out while LT is jogging around the field at half speed and Turner is tearing up defenses for Atlanta. Not only could they have Turner, but they could have gotten an extremely nice piece or two out of LT if they had traded him during the summer of 07 when his value was still very high.

Another example? Had SD management had the nads to trade Brees after 2004, when his value was sky high and they had just spent a top 5 pick on a signal caller and made him ride the bench for a full season, they could have helped themselves a ton. Instead they waited a year, Brees got hurt and they had to let him walk because he was damaged goods. In this case THEY EVEN KNEW THEIR BACKUP WAS THE BETTER PLAYER (or thought they knew, at least).

More?

Sure, the Falcons are happy with Matt Ryan--and any Atlanta fan alive would tell you they wouldn't go back and change it if they could--but would they be measurably worse off if they could have Sedrick Ellis or Glen Dorsey plugging up the middle or Clady protecting the blindside of Matt Schaub (who was miles better than Ryan this year, no matter how you slice it) while STILL not accounting for the king's ransom they could have gotten from Vick before he self-destructed?

How bout the Jets with Curtis Martin and Lamont Jordan?

History is littered with examples of teams who were in a position to capitalize on a wealth of talent at a particular position but who aced themselves out of it because they were paralyzed by fear of making a mistake.

If, IF, Bennett ends up being an All Pro caliber player than Dallas is crazy to not find a way to get their value. If that means makeover the team to feature Martellus just as prominently as Witten, so be it. More than likely, you just won't get your value out of Bennett. That means if you ARE going to get your value, you have to get it out of Witten.

Like I said, it would take balls of steel, but meekness never won anyone anything.

I fully expect Dallas to do nothing, see Bennett leave in FA and dominant the 10s for another team.
                  Originally posted by 21ST
                  He was protecting his self
                  Originally posted by tjsunstein
                  From what? His leg?
                  Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                  That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                  "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
                    Yeah, both seem to be pretty radical notions with how everything is flowing right now. But if you could only take ONE lesson from history, its that once an issue has become apparent and beyond argument, its too late to do anything about it. Its my belief that by the time Wade has proved himself to be the wrong man for the job, stone-cold proved it, he will have wasted the primes of Witten, Ware, Romo, Newman and Austin and pissed away what could have been half a decade of dominance with his incompetence. Wade is a "pretty good" coach who is capable of doing a respectable job and fielding a respectable team. He's not going to be centerpiece for a perennial contender. And everyone knows it, but things like the record you cited (33-15, but really only 22-14 since the 11-1 start) and other partial measures of success provide just enough evidence to HOPE. As Mike Lombardi is so fond of saying "don't mistake hope for a plan.

Your losing me. How would he be wasting the primes of all those players if he won the SB? What makes sense about that logic? What has he shown to be incompetent about? Again this argument is as if you said, he won the SB.

What more would you like him to do? Go 15-1? Have the defense as a top 3 unit vs the run and pass? Win a SB every other season?

I'll be the first to admit I'm not even a huge Wade fan but come on, if he won the SB you find me a coach who would have a better track record in a 3 year span and you'll probably have a HOF coach.

This is not even taking into consideration how tough the NFC East is.

Comment

• who would you replace Wade with?

Comment

• I was laughing at the Cowboys to start the season and purposely avoided drafting any player from the team for my fantasy football team. When I'm wrong, I'm always the first to admit it because Dallas looks great. I just came in here to wish the Dallas fans good luck this weekend. I'm pretty surprised to find the trade Witten and fire Wade discussions. I swear, NFL fans are the toughest customers to satisfy, but I love it. Good luck guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                          Your losing me. How would he be wasting the primes of all those players if he won the SB? What makes sense about that logic? What has he shown to be incompetent about? Again this argument is as if you said, he won the SB.

What more would you like him to do? Go 15-1? Have the defense as a top 3 unit vs the run and pass? Win a SB every other season?

I'll be the first to admit I'm not even a huge Wade fan but come on, if he won the SB you find me a coach who would have a better track record in a 3 year span and you'll probably have a HOF coach.

This is not even taking into consideration how tough the NFC East is.
                          C'mon, man, are you really making this argument?

If Dallas wins the Super Bowl, which I cannot even fathom but let's just roll with it, then it will not be BECAUSE of Wade. It will be IN SPITE of Wade. He is a coach who has consistently put a team on the field that plays with a lack of heart, a lack of intensity, a lack of discipline and a lack of intelligence. They will often have one or two of the four, but have never had all 4 at the same time in his entire tenure. Even now, with this team playing as well as its played this entire decade, you have seen blown coverages on a regular basis. For as much as Thumper and Superman (wtfever his handle was) were laughed at, they had a point. In that last regular season game we had regular breakdowns in coverage over the middle. Its a CHRONIC issue with this team, and nothing has ever been done about it. The entire middle of our defense is like a soft Jello pudding pop in coverage. We constantly shoot ourselves in the foot with procedure penalties. We get beaten IN AREAS OF STRENGTH. Going into a game you often find yourself thinking that there is no way X will happen because we are so good, and then there you see X happening all through the game.

Its like a crazy person is running our team. We have nothing bankable that we can ride when things get tough. Mostly, its just painfully obvious that something is missing. Call it "toughness", "heart", "discipline" whatever you want to, SOMETHING isn't there that needs to be, and its a regular thing.

So lets say we win it all.

Now Wade deserves carte blanche? Now all the ineptitude, incompetence and lack of general sharpness in execution and preparation is suddenly OK? **** no. Not by me its not. And then, after a particularly egregious mistake by one of our coddled players, the camera cuts to Wade and there he is like a psych patient in the cafeteria wondering where his jelly filled donut went with a look of utmost confusion. I can't take it.

If we win it, it will be the result of things coming together at the best possible time and our team taking advantage. Much like the 07 Giants, who weren't even a top 10 team that year, let alone the best, or the 05 Steelers or 01 Pats. I don't want to spend the next three years after this wading through crap to pay for one SB win. I want to build a team that, going into every season, is a team that everyone says "if we want to win the SB, we're going to have to go through them." Winning a SB in a year like that is when the SB really means something. These teams this decade, the Giants, the Steelers, the Cards (NFC wise) and such, they can't look back and say "everyone was gunning for us and we rebuffed every challenger." No, they sneaked in the back door and their story is one of the underdog getting a few breaks and persevering to eek it out. I don't want that. It's not satisfying. Because you have the moment and its gone. You can't say you were the best team that year, because its not true. The Giants were a pincushion for much of 2007. They were beaten up and beaten down, at times by teams who weren't even good themselves. So they got hot in the playoffs, big whup.

I want to be able to look back on a season like I look back on 1993. Every team was gunning for us, the whole effing league hated us and yet they couldn't do a damn. thing. about. it. They were defenseless against our superiority. That's the type of year I want. I want the regular season crown and the playoff crown. Only by doing that can you truly say you were the greatest NFL team in the world at that point in time. The rest is just a function of Right Place, Right Time syndrome.

That will not happen under Wade. There is no question in my mind. This team has good enough players that, with the proper leadership and direction, they could be there as soon as next year. We have a special opportunity right in front of us, but Wade has to go for us to get there.

The alternative? "Pretty good"

I guess you have to ask yourself if that's good enough.
                          From what? His leg?

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Originally posted by mellojello View Post
                            I was laughing at the Cowboys to start the season and purposely avoided drafting any player from the team for my fantasy football team. When I'm wrong, I'm always the first to admit it because Dallas looks great. I just came in here to wish the Dallas fans good luck this weekend. I'm pretty surprised to find the trade Witten and fire Wade discussions. I swear, NFL fans are the toughest customers to satisfy, but I love it. Good luck guys.

Thanks.

And just an FYI, I waited 2 1/2 years before making the call on Wade Phillips, even though I hated the hire the moment it came down. I was patient and optimistic. I took a lot of convincing. But once I'm there, a little perfume sprinkled on the pig isn't going to take the stink out of my nostrils.

Thanks again for the well wishes.
                            From what? His leg?

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Originally posted by Im_a_Romosexual View Post
                              who would you replace Wade with?
                              My top 3 would have been

1. Gruden
                              2. Cowher
                              3. Shanahan

Though I certainly understand you're argument. Anyone can ask for change, but having an actual plan to make things improve is another thing. Best case would be to get a young guy who is already proven somewhere else. If we could get Harbaugh away from Baltimore, Rex Ryan away from NY or Tomlin away from Pittsburgh I would love it, too.
                              From what? His leg?

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• It will be IN SPITE of Wade. He is a coach who has consistently put a team on the field that plays with a lack of heart, a lack of intensity, a lack of discipline and a lack of intelligence.

When is the last time you have EVER heard of a team winning a SB with these qualities, in the history of the NFL? Also if it would be in 'spite' of Wade, why didn't it happen in 'spite' of him last year? So the fallout of last year was all his fault, yet a SB run would be none of his fault?

The logic around here sometimes never ceases to amaze me. *shrugs*

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information