Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back on the subject of Doug Free, Charean Williams from the FWS Telegram noted in one of her articles that she thinks from the people she talks to inside the organization that we have out LT of the future.

Not only that, but he was a LT his entire time at Northern Illinois, and even his parents were saying how nervous they were seeing him as a RT after being a LT for so long.

I know it's tough being that we have never seen him play that side before, but I think we have a player on that side finally.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• I like Ratliff at NT, and I think a big part of the reason he has stayed there is because he prefers it over DE. Can't argue with a guy who produces like he does, but if the Vikings bully him, Hampton might be a decent option in the coaches' eyes.
      "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
      ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

• I think as NFL fans we've been sooooo conditioned over the years to think that LT is such an important position that now we don't feel comfortable with a guy who may only be an average NFL blindside protector. I really don't think Free can be any more than that on the left side.

But is that a problem? Looking at SB winners, we see that there is no real correlation between winning the big one and having a great LT. The last time a team sporting an elite LT won the Super Bowl was when the Pace/Ogden combo won the 99 and 00 games. Since then its been Matt Light (started as a rookie in 01), Kenyatta Walker, Marvel Smith, Tarik Glenn, David Diehl, and Max Starks. That's not exactly a "Who's who of NFL LTs" list, now is it? Glenn and Light are the only two standouts and Light was barely an above average LT during the SB years. Really, beside his All-Pro caliber 2007, he's been no more than solid during his career. Glenn was a very good player, who at times played like a great one, and is the best player on the list by a good margin. The rest are anywhere from decent to good.

So you can see, LT isn't a must for winning it all, though the perception is that it certainly is. Pace, Ogden, and Jones, the holy trinity of LTs for the past decade, each made it to at least one SB. Tra Thomas, Matt Light v.2007, and Orlando Pace all made the game as losers, so apparently there is some correlation there...but probably no more than there is at any other position, and CERTAINLY not as much as there is at the premium position of QB.

So maybe we can make do with Free, but I think in a draft like this one, that seems to be heavy at DT and OT and S, we are dumb to not find a way to take advantage of the depth at one of those positions, given that we could certainly use a very good player at any one of them.
        Originally posted by 21ST
        He was protecting his self
        Originally posted by tjsunstein
        From what? His leg?
        Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
        That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
        "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• I've been pretty vocal that I think we "should" address LT in the draft...however we "won't" because our FO is sold on our backups at this point.

As far as ratliff goes. He will be a pro bowler wherever he plays. He makes an impact inside because he is better than the players he plays against. He will do the same thing as the 5-tech. He's game transitions to either position. Now he doesn't have a ton of body of work..but he has done it for Wade and Wade puts his players in positions to use there strengths. So I'm going to say if Wade thinks he can dominant the 5-tech I don't see why his game wouldn't translate.

I'm a huge advocate on drafting Terrence Cody.

D you mentioned the FA....you realize that both of those guys are going to make bank and probably be in their last contract of their careers. I'm sorry but I don't feel like overpaying on over 30 year old talent on a position that has a history of getting worn down. Pat Williams being the exception here.

Cody is a big body who can stop the run from day one. He is strictly a 2 down player in the nfl...but isn't that the big point for us....to keep ratliff on the field all 3 downs and have a big body who can hold up in the middle...and not just hold up but be a body that noone even bothers running at.

My only minor thought would be if we could get a guy like Shaun Rogers from CLE...he has said he doesn't want to be there the past 2 years and new staff is in place...so I think he could be gotten for the right price...and he is a guy who is dominant at the positoin.

Comment

• Also, an aspect of the CBA that is starting to come out as we approach an uncapped year:

The remaining 8 playoff teams will not be able to sign UFAs next year. Yes, you read that correctly. We will not be able to sign anyone of the FA market this summer, by virtue of our advancing to the divisional playoff round. This means that Wilfork is off the table for us. The only way we can sign anyone is if we essentially do a one for one trade via FA, meaning that if we lose a an UFA to another team, we can turn around and sign a player for the exact same amount as the player we lost was paid by the team that signed him. Since we don't have much in the way of UFAs, this means that we likely will not be signing anyone significant this off season.

Not that it matters, though, since the lack of an extension is going to render 100s of players as RFAs, and the extra tag that each team receives will likely put a major damper on the ones who ARE unrestricted. Things are about to get ugly in the NFL, and we are probably headed for a lockout.
            From what? His leg?

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
              Also, an aspect of the CBA that is starting to come out as we approach an uncapped year:

The remaining 8 playoff teams will not be able to sign UFAs next year. Yes, you read that correctly. We will not be able to sign anyone of the FA market this summer, by virtue of our advancing to the divisional playoff round. This means that Wilfork is off the table for us. The only way we can sign anyone is if we essentially do a one for one trade via FA, meaning that if we lose a an UFA to another team, we can turn around and sign a player for the exact same amount as the player we lost was paid by the team that signed him. Since we don't have much in the way of UFAs, this means that we likely will not be signing anyone significant this off season.

Not that it matters, though, since the lack of an extension is going to render 100s of players as RFAs, and the extra tag that each team receives will likely put a major damper on the ones who ARE unrestricted. Things are about to get ugly in the NFL, and we are probably headed for a lockout.
              You know what? I heard Colin Cowherd say something like that on the radio while I was driving the other day and it didn't sink in until now.

soo....

WTF?!!!!!!

Holy manoly. That sucks. Throws my whole offseason mindset off.

What about RFAs? Can we try to sign those?

Comment

• That would be a major bummer if true.

Comment

• That final eight thing actually states that we can only sign one unrestricted FA for every one we lose. So say, Dallas chooses not to tender or re-sign, Spears. Someone picks him up and Dallas could have their pick of the litter. Problem is, timing is everything under this rule. Because, that player has to be signed to another team, before you could do anything. It was probably going to be quiet for us regardless in FA, though. As DMW stated, damn near everyone is restricted, it's not going to matter much.
                  Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 01-13-2010, 06:00 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                  KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                    That final eight thing actually states that we can only sign one unrestricted FA for every one we lose. So say, Dallas chooses not to tender or re-sign, Spears. Someone picks him up and Dallas could have their pick of the litter. Problem is, timing is everything under this rule. Because, that player has to be signed to another team, before you could do anything. It was probably going to be quiet for us regardless in FA, though. As DMW stated, damn near everyone is restricted, it's not going to matter much.
                    Can you find clarification on that? In the NFL forum someone said that if Dallas chooses to simply not want to bring someone back (ie Spears) then they can go ahead and sign someone. They don't have to wait for him to be given an offer sheet.

Conflicting stories... I'd like to know the truth.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                      Can you find clarification on that? In the NFL forum someone said that if Dallas chooses to simply not want to bring someone back (ie Spears) then they can go ahead and sign someone. They don't have to wait for him to be given an offer sheet.

Conflicting stories... I'd like to know the truth.
                      DMN just actually posted something on this, funny enough. Looks like the NFL news of the day, popping up everywhere.

"During the Final League Year, the eight clubs that make the divisional playoffs in the previous season have additional restrictions that limit their ability to sign unrestricted free agents from other clubs. In general, the four clubs participating in the championship games are limited in the number of free agents that they may sign; the limit is determined by the number of their own free agents signing with other clubs. For the four clubs that lose in the Divisional Playoffs, in addition to having the ability to sign free agents based on the number of their own free agents signing with other clubs, they may also sign players based on specific financial parameters."

"There is a mechanism to permit the final eight teams to sign an unrestricted free agent for each one of their own unrestricted free agents who sign with another club as long as they don't spend more than what their own lost player received from his new club."

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                      http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                      KO KNOWS

Comment

• Thanks MOTH. Seems we are in for a severe bind on the FA front.

First we need to figure out who our UFAs are, if any.

Then try to guess who would be signed away, if any.

My hunch is... None.

Comment

• I doubt we lose Spears. We'll probably tender him at the 2nd round level (maybe 3rd) and lock him up for cheap next year. The guy has gotten a lot of grief, but he's settled into a very solid, steady starter for us who can be relied upon to do his job. At this point we can give up on him ever making his mark in the passing game.

Its funny how this team has found a way to make up for every high priced or early round gaffe by hitting big on a low cost option.

Whiffed on Roy Williams, hit big on Miles Austin. Whiffed on Spears, hit big on Ratliff. Whiffed on Carpenter, hit on Brooking. Whiffed on Al Johnson, salvaged and hit big on Gurode who was on the verge of getting cut. Whiffed on Julius, hit big on Barber. Whiffed on Jacob Rogers, bit big on Colombo. And the big one, whiffed hard on Drew Henson, slammed it out of the park on Romo.
                          From what? His leg?

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

I doubt we lose Spears. We'll probably tender him at the 2nd round level (maybe 3rd) and lock him up for cheap next year. The guy has gotten a lot of grief, but he's settled into a very solid, steady starter for us who can be relied upon to do his job. At this point we can give up on him ever making his mark in the passing game.

Its funny how this team has found a way to make up for every high priced or early round gaffe by hitting big on a low cost option.

Whiffed on Roy Williams, hit big on Miles Austin. Whiffed on Spears, hit big on Ratliff. Whiffed on Carpenter, hit on Brooking. Whiffed on Al Johnson, salvaged and hit big on Gurode who was on the verge of getting cut. Whiffed on Julius, hit big on Barber. Whiffed on Jacob Rogers, bit big on Colombo. And the big one, whiffed hard on Drew Henson, slammed it out of the park on Romo.
                            HAHA. SO TRUE! Never put it together like that before.

Next up.... Whiffed on Ken Hamlin, hit big on Taylor Mays!!! haha.

Comment

I doubt we lose Spears. We'll probably tender him at the 2nd round level (maybe 3rd) and lock him up for cheap next year. The guy has gotten a lot of grief, but he's settled into a very solid, steady starter for us who can be relied upon to do his job. At this point we can give up on him ever making his mark in the passing game.

I think it may have something to do with their ability to find good talent in mid to late rounds, and in FA. When you look at this team you see tons of talent, but look at how many mid rounds or FA guys are paying dividends here. I think the whiffs are results of......well I guess you can just call them bad moves. Every team has them though, and this team is good because they have been limited.
                              "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                              ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

Or is it possible that all the most expensive decisions (top picks, big name FA) are all made by Jerry himself since it is his money. While the Henson deal wasn't very expensive, we still lost on that Jerry gamble. Meaning, on all the stuff the FO gets to actually decide on, they do well.

This is just one possibility.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information