Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The kicking situation seems to be looking better with more competition...

The Cowboys need to address their kicking situation this off-season and they have added one already, Connor Hughes.

Hughes actually worked out for the Cowboys in December when they signed Shaun Suisham. The thinking then was that they wanted a kicker with experience, so Suisham won the job when the Cowboys replaced Nick Folk.

Hughes set Virginia records in points (332), field goals made (66), attempted (79), extra points made (134) and extra points attempted (138). His 83.5 percent accuracy rate on field goals was second in school history.

He spent training camp with New Orleans in 2006 and was with Pittsburgh in 2007. He kicked in the Arena Football League for Philadelphia in 2008.

Special teams coach Joe DeCamillis expressed confidence that David Buehler could develop into the field goal kicker in 2010. Buehler handled the kickoff job in 2009 but never really worked on field goals during the year and has a strong but sometimes wild leg.

"It's going to be a competitive situation," DeCamillis said after Saturday's Pro Bowl practice. "We've got to see what happens there. We've got to come up with a plan and stick with the plan whatever the plan is. There will be some competition there for sure."

The note on Buehler is also interesting...

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
      I have come to grips that Earl Thomas is a better prospect than Taylor Mays. But I'm not ready to believe without a doubt that he will be the better pro. IMO, Thomas is a CB who played S in college. Can he be an NFL Safety and provide the same game? Is Thomas not afraid to lay his body out and mix it up? The transition for Mays will probably be easier in that respect.
      Earl Thomas will be a much more efficient safety in today's NFL. Ronnie Lott would have been banished from the league had he played in the 2000's. The grey line between illegal hit and clean hit fluctuates way too much. I'm not saying this makes Taylor Mays a bad prospect, but I think teams are definitely going to go with the rangy, cover safety a lot more than the big time, run supporting type.

Earl Thomas vs Taylor Mays in coverage : Thomas by a wide margin
      Earl Thomas vs Taylor Mays in "laying their bodies out and mixing it up" : Mays by a small margin
      Earl Thomas vs Taylor Mays in run support : I would call it a wash personally
      "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

• Originally posted by djp View Post
        Earl Thomas will be a much more efficient safety in today's NFL. Ronnie Lott would have been banished from the league had he played in the 2000's. The grey line between illegal hit and clean hit fluctuates way too much. I'm not saying this makes Taylor Mays a bad prospect, but I think teams are definitely going to go with the rangy, cover safety a lot more than the big time, run supporting type.

Earl Thomas vs Taylor Mays in coverage : Thomas by a wide margin
        Earl Thomas vs Taylor Mays in "laying their bodies out and mixing it up" : Mays by a small margin
        Earl Thomas vs Taylor Mays in run support : I would call it a wash personally
        That's a good point about Ronnie Lott. ...and today's game.

Here's one for you... Earl Thomas vs Taylor Mays in durability: Mays by a wide margin.

Earl Thomas has the body of a corner. Mays has the body of a safety. Look at the career life of a guy like Bob Sanders who's body just couldn't handle the durability needed at that position. Not saying they are the same body type, but let's not kid ourselves about Earl "slim" Thomas.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule View Post
          McGee not being brought back...are you crazy? Someone has been smoking...he was a 4th round pick and has done what the coaching staff has wanted. He is a lock to come back.
          You act like he'd be the first draft pick selected in the 4th round to be cut after a year in the history of the league, or on this team even. I didn't say he'd be cut, just don't think he's a lock in my books. It's not like if we tried to stash him on the PS there would be a huge line waiting to sign him. I wouldn't hate LeFevour in the mid rounds this year, maybe it's being too hasty to pick a QB in the middle rounds then do it again, just throwing stuff out there.

I think he'll be back, but I wouldn't call him a 100% lock myself, he's not that important or good to act like there is no way he could get cut and slipped to the PS.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by clay_allison
            That would be below value. When we traded out of the Stephen Jackson and Brady Quinn picks we got a second that year and a first the next. Why would we start accepting less?
            Because the pick is 5 later in the draft.

Both of those trades were around the early 20's weren't they? We are at 27 this year. Maybe we could trade with someone like the Colts or Jets for there second round pick but that would require them to want a second first rounder.

My preference is AFC regardless. Less to worry about if it's an AFC team. But I'm not too fussy about the compensation this year as long as it's a first next year.

Comment

• Matt Stover has expressed interest in kicking for the Cowboys next season.

Adam Vinatieri (knee) is expected to be healthy next season, leading the Colts to cut ties with Stover. The Cowboys need a reliable field goal kicker, and they have David Buehler around for kickoffs and long-distance attempts.
              Source: Dallas Morning News

I say we get it done! Stover is a much better option we have, so let him and Buehler battle it out.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Stover is reliable, but I'd rather have someone younger. He's at the end of his career.
                "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

• Originally posted by E-Man View Post
                  Stover is reliable, but I'd rather have someone younger. He's at the end of his career.
                  Someone younger like Buehler? Why can't we bring Buehler along slowly and use Stover as a stop-gap until that time comes? I love the idea of Stover at this point. Or Folk's return if he's truly healthy and confident.

Comment

• You have to think worst case here, & it pains me to say it b/c Folk has no bigger fan than me... Folk may be done. Sign Stover right ******* now before he has umpteen more NFL offers......

Failing that, well draft Leigh Tiffin or Swenson from Michigan St. before some other NFL team does. Can't count on Folk being back to his 2007 form even if he does return

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
                      Someone younger like Buehler? Why can't we bring Buehler along slowly and use Stover as a stop-gap until that time comes? I love the idea of Stover at this point. Or Folk's return if he's truly healthy and confident.
                      Well Buehler sucks on kicks for now, so I'd want someone younger who is accurate on the kicks. If Folk can return to his pre-injury form, then I'm all for Stover as a stop gap.
                      "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                      ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

• get stover in now!
                        In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• he's playing in the superbowl =/

Comment

• Make it happen Jerry! :)
                            In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Is Stover still good? I hate to get a guy solely based off reputation. Look what happened to the Falcons who signed Jason Elam. FAILURE.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                                Is Stover still good? I hate to get a guy solely based off reputation. Look what happened to the Falcons who signed Jason Elam. FAILURE.
                                Or to us when we signed Vanderjagt. :/

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information