This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JJJ888 View Post
    If the Cowboys have contacted the Ravens about Gaither, it's likely that the way they'd acquire him would be by trading for his rights with the Ravens, rather than signing him to an offer sheet.

If, as you suggest, it comes down to offer sheets, then the pick that the Ravens acquire obviously would depend on the team whose offer sheet Gaither signs.

I believe, according to recent history, that directly trading for Gaither's rights would be much more likely, as we've seen very few teams give up high round picks in offer sheet-type deals. There have been some examples of teams signing players to an offer sheet for whom the compensation is a lower round pick, but for players who have been tendered in the top 3 tiers (that is, usually non-draft level tenders), trades have been the rule. The obvious example is Wes Welker to the Patriots a couple of years back where the Dolphins tendered Welker at the 2nd round level, and the Patriots, rather than signing Welker to an offer sheet and then sending the 2nd round pick to the Dolphins, instead traded with the Phins to acquire Welker's rights. In that case they thought Welker valuable enough to even send along a 7th round pick to facilitate things.

Edit: Just for clarification, the Final 8 rule does not apply here, because we're talking about Restricted Free Agents, and the rule only applies to unrestricted free agents. If Gaither had not been tendered by the Ravens, he would become unrestricted, and then the Final 8 rule would come into play.
    Point taken. Forgot that the final 8 applied only to unrestricted. But I could see a team like the 49ers or Cowboys sending a first round pick. Considering that he is a solid young left tackle and the inherent risks you take with drafting someone like Trent Williams, Bruce Campbell, or an Anthony Davis in the first round, I think he would be well worth it.

But I'm also starting to think that if Dallas can't get a favorable trade for Gaither, they might end up just starting Free at left tackle this year and releasing Adams. Sounds like a risky move to me, but Jerry didn't sound too certain about Adams future with the team when asked at the combine. Adams would be too costly as a backup and I'm sure Jerry wants to see what he has with Free at left tackle if given more reps.

Comment

• I think if you're looking at making a Super Bowl run, which no doubt, Jerry is--the big game is in his stadium after all and his team was certainly hitting its stride at the end of the season--then you cannot go into the season with such tremendous uncertainty at one of the three most important positions in the game. Flozell might be getting old, and he can be mistake prone, but he is, according to many analysts' views, an above-average starting left tackle in this league. I have to think that Jerry will not want to go into the season with a risk like Free at a crucial position like left tackle, even though he played so well on the right side. As we all know, right and left tackle are COMPLETELY different positions, and it's very hard to project a move from one side to the other.

I'll even admit that I had a hope, in the back of my mind, that Flozell might be injured in the Vikings game because I thought Free might be a better matchup against Jared Allen. We all saw how wrong I was. To go into a season with such uncertainty at a premium position is simply ridiculous if you want to make a Super Bowl run. At safety, it's ok. At left tackle, it's not.

Comment

• I agree. I don't want Adams to be released this year either unless Jones has got a pretty certain backup option and to me Free is an uncertainty there. I just point this out as a possibility because Jones sounded pretty concerned whether Adams would be able to play at the same level as he did in 2009.

In unrelated news, it seems that Martellus Bennett is making the appropiate comments to position himself for a trade with the draft approaching. Wonder if Jones will ship him out if someone offers a shiny second rounder. Doubt it, but I think we could find some decent blocking tight ends later in the draft anyhow and John Phillips seems to be catching on.

Comment

• If Jerry drafts a STUD LT like Bryan Bulaga or Russell Okung in the draft this year, though, I think the Cowboys can go into 2010 pretty confident that he'll contribute, and can *probably* cut Flo without hesitating too much.

If they go OT in the 2nd or 3rd round, however, you're right - you won't be able to count on that guy to be a starter from the get-go.

Comment

• Okung and Bulaga are way out of Dallas' range. As are Davis and Williams.

We're looking more at Bruce Campbell, Mike Iupati (LT potential), or a Charles Brown if we go tackle in the 1st.

And even if you draft any of those guys...none would be handed the reigns right away. Campbell is one of my favorites, but needs a lot of work, Iupati has no business playing LT right out of the gates, and Brown is a bit of a project as well.

Unless we get Gaither, I envision Flo being back for this upcoming year. And I'm just fine with that. He actually had a good season, despite what a lot of people will tell you. We probably should have never started Colombo in the playoffs. Yeah, he did well in the Eagles game but, he looked slow/injured against the Vikes still. While Flo didnt play great when he was out there either, Colombo was the one getting embarrassed.
            Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 03-09-2010, 12:06 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
            KO KNOWS

Comment

• Why does everyone think Free got manhandled vs Allen? Other then the very first play, I thought he did a very good job vs him especially considering he's one of the best DE's and Free's first start at LT. He didn't get beat since that first play, and Allen was mostly neutralized unless the play ran right into him.

Charles Brown would be a nice pick, Bruce Campbell sucked on film and everyone loves him because he continued the Maryland trend and was a workout warrior. I'd be fine with him, but he would need to sit at minimum a year before throwing him out there, he needs ALOT of coaching.

Free is an amazing LT, but he showed me he can play LT very well also, he won't be an Orlando Pace top 5 LT over there but he can be a very good starter so unless we see someone topping that, give him the reigns. The guy is a natural LT and played there his whole life, RT is what's new to him.

RT is also easier to find and draft and Columbo has more years left then Flozell does.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Free is an amazing LT? Not sure if that was a typo...but, first of all he has no career starts at LT. And secondly, he's barely played LT in the NFL. We dont know what we have there yet. He could certainly play RT, I like him but, I'm not sold on the guy at LT. Dallas wants to win right now and Flo may give them the best chance to win, right now. Perhaps they still like Free as the future at LT but, I dont think he'll be getting those reigns this year at all.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                  Okung and Bulaga are way out of Dallas' range. As are Davis and Williams.

We're looking more at Bruce Campbell, Mike Iupati (LT potential), or a Charles Brown if we go tackle in the 1st.

And even if you draft any of those guys...none would be handed the reigns right away. Campbell is one of my favorites, but needs a lot of work, Iupati has no business playing LT right out of the gates, and Brown is a bit of a project as well.

Unless we get Gaither, I envision Flo being back for this upcoming year. And I'm just fine with that. He actually had a good season, despite what a lot of people will tell you. We probably should have never started Colombo in the playoffs. Yeah, he did well in the Eagles game but, he looked slow/injured against the Vikes still. While Flo didnt play great when he was out there either, Colombo was the one getting embarrassed.
                  I agree with this right here. Flo could easily come back and I wouldn't mind it. However, I'd like at some point to see Free get a chance at LT.

Columbo was totally at fault against Minny. I too agree that he should've stayed on the bench. It was a tough situation for the coaches to deal with, but they should've made the right choice for the team... and that was to keep Free in at RT.

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                    Free is an amazing LT? Not sure if that was a typo...but, first of all he has no career starts at LT. And secondly, he's barely played LT in the NFL. We dont know what we have there yet. He could certainly play RT, I like him but, I'm not sold on the guy at LT. Dallas wants to win right now and Flo may give them the best chance to win, right now. Perhaps they still like Free as the future at LT but, I dont think he'll be getting those reigns this year at all.
                    Yea it was a mistake, I meant RT. I fully agree with that as far as him as a RT. I still stand by him being a natural LT and he had to get used to playing RT since he had been at LT so long prior.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• I just wanted to point out that in the same "Around the Web" that LL mentioned earlier in his reference to Gaither's potential availability, that a Buffalo News report is also quoted as stating that Donte Whitner may be available with the Bills resigning two other safeties who can adequately play strong safety while Jairus Byrd holds down the free safety spot. Whitner is definitely a guy who I'd be interested, and I'm sure that D and Thule will remember the rather large man crush I had on him when he came out (what was it, 3, 4, years ago? Wow. Time flies).

Comment

• Originally posted by JJJ888 View Post
                        I just wanted to point out that in the same "Around the Web" that LL mentioned earlier in his reference to Gaither's potential availability, that a Buffalo News report is also quoted as stating that Donte Whitner may be available with the Bills resigning two other safeties who can adequately play strong safety while Jairus Byrd holds down the free safety spot. Whitner is definitely a guy who I'd be interested, and I'm sure that D and Thule will remember the rather large man crush I had on him when he came out (what was it, 3, 4, years ago? Wow. Time flies).
                        I guess if Whitner is available for a sixth rounder or something i wouldn't mind, but he hasn't really turned into a playmaker/ballhawk type for the Bills and that's one of the biggest complaints on Hamlin (along with his questionable tackling). Whitner's also has had various injury issues over the last couple of years or so. I think the rumor for the Colts Antoine Bethea interests me more, but only in a trade scenario not as a RFA.

Comment

• this is the least active Jerry's been in FA in quite some time. we're well into week 3 and not even a wisper of activity... If we don't make a move for O.J. (only a 3rd round compensation) we better land Mays or Thomas on draft day. Ken Hamlin is so bad.
                          Cowboys Mock:
                          1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
                          2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
                          3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

Comment

• OJ has no compensation actually. And he is set to become a FA if he doesn't sign a deal by May 5th I believe is the day. Something to watch for.

Comment

• There is nothing out there except kickers for us. O.J. Probably isnt going anywhere and other than that, the unrestricted market is pretty terrible.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• How about this one

I believe we will sit tight on Atogwe and see how the draft shakes out. If we dont get ET round 1 or Nate Allen round 2 then we go hard after Atogwe.

People become furious/confused w/ projected trades so Ill just bypass that. Lets just say AD is worth a trade up at a few spots.

1. Anthony Davis- Rutgers - The Mother ****ing ****
                                Height: 6-5 | Weight: 323 | 40-Time: 5.40

Take your pick year one and he will fill that role. And by this time next year, when he will be 21, well have our LT for years

2. Akwasi Owusu-Ansah - CB/FS/KR
                                Height: 6-0 | Weight: 207 | 40-Time: 4.47

We know he can return kicks, but there tons of potential here as a CB or FS. If we dont sign Atogwe you can cut Ken Hamlin move Ball over to FS and play AOA at CB.

3. JD Walton - C
                                Height: 6-2⅝ | Weight: 300 | 40-Time: 5.15

How about a smart linemen for a change? Might not be a mauler but is a future starter and perhaps team leader.

4. Lets just say I lose this in some trade up. No details b/c it makes peoples heads explode

6. Antonio Brown - WR/RS
                                Height: 5-10⅛ | Weight: 186 | 40-Time: 4.54

More quick than fast. Another returner w/ some upside at slot. Hes adding weight to his frame w/o losing speed.

7. Vince Oghobase- DL
                                Height: 6-5 | Weight: 303 | 40-Time: 5.49

Some potential here if he gets his head out of his ***

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information