Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dallas Cowboys Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • going to miss Flozell but it was going to happen at some point. Just hope we'll be okay with Free.

    I also don't think this forces our hand on draft day for an offensive tackle in the early rounds. Jerry obviously feels Free can be our starter. But if Free flops at left tackle Jerry is going to take the heat for not addressing this properly.

    If it wasn't already, Hamlin's loss means safety is a definite 1st or 2nd round selection. The coaches may like Ball and Hamlin, but whether either can be a playmaker at FS is unknown or unlikely.

    we'll see...

    Comment


    • If we move up for 8 it's because Eric Berry is on the board not a LT imo. But maybe thats because I have my blinders on.

      And yes Brown is a terrible fit for us...he is less stout than Free and Free is a bit small for a Houck line. People just see LT as a need and plug in a guy who has value at 27. We'd draft Ducasse over him I have no doubts.

      Comment


      • We're not moving to 8...but yeah, it'd be for Berry and only Berry, I'd imagine.

        And Thule, I'll eat some delicious crow...I didnt see this Flozell cut coming. Playing the odds...it wasnt that likely, because (sound like a broken record.haha) Dallas is built to win now, a Super Bowl ready team, cutting Flo to start Free is a very bold move and fairly risky. I just didnt think it would happen this year. Factor in the OT talks/visits, I was beginning to think things didnt look to good for Free as the future LT. If the plan is to start him, they obviously have to be confident in him. That's not to say this may not come back and bite us in the ass. I sure as hell hope not.
        Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 04-02-2010, 04:13 PM.

        Thanks BoneKrusher^

        http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
        http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
        KO KNOWS

        Comment


        • I'm not worried about Free at LT one bit. He shut down Freeney in the preseason...ya I know I'm talking preseason...but Free has always looked good on the field. Then he went in against the most feared rusher in the playoffs and didn't give up a sack...(that goes on Witten which I still can't believe he let happen). Free came out NFL ready...was a workout warrior to a small extent...I don't think we'll notice a dropoff. He might not be as elite as Flozell was as a pass protector...I can't see him shutting down T. Cole the way Flozell has done his whole career. However I do think we'll see a decline in penalties from the position. In the end I think it comes out a wash.

          Comment


          • There was a time when Free looked awful. And his future was in question...he wasnt even the backup LT anymore. They opted to put Davis there instead.

            Free's biggest problem is his strength. Many a time he was pushed back into Romo. He doesnt let anyone get around him too often but, is very susceptible to the bull rush. We gave him his fair share of help on the right side. If the guy could gain some real strength, he could be a stud. But it doesnt seem like he's gotten much stronger since getting in the league. I'm def. going to be worried for a while. We cant have him bumping into Romo, collapsing the pocket over and over.

            Thanks BoneKrusher^

            http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
            KO KNOWS

            Comment


            • Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
              There was a time when Free looked awful. And his future was in question...he wasnt even the backup LT anymore. They opted to put Davis there instead.

              Free's biggest problem is his strength. Many a time he was pushed back into Romo. He doesnt let anyone get around him too often but, is very susceptible to the bull rush. We gave him his fair share of help on the right side. If the guy could gain some real strength, he could be a stud. But it doesnt seem like he's gotten much stronger since getting in the league. I'm def. going to be worried for a while. We cant have him bumping into Romo, collapsing the pocket over and over.
              Free was hurt and LD was the backup when McQ went down in TC. LD has never been above Free on the LT depth chart. Free was inactive when LD took a few snaps at LT in a game last year.

              The thing about Free is. His workout numbers were big when he came out of college. He was known as a gym rat. I remember back in the hype thread I posted his bench and clean numbers and they were big numbers. So this is a classic case of weight lifting strength not translating to the football field. He isn't going to get much stronger. He's been in the league like 3-4 years now? He came out as a NFL ready prospect with a high floor and not a lot of ceiling. So I don't think we are going to see an improvement in that catagory...it'll have to be technique work with him to stop the bull rush because his body is maxed out imo.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by thule View Post
                Free was hurt and LD was the backup when McQ went down in TC. LD has never been above Free on the LT depth chart. Free was inactive when LD took a few snaps at LT in a game last year.

                The thing about Free is. His workout numbers were big when he came out of college. He was known as a gym rat. I remember back in the hype thread I posted his bench and clean numbers and they were big numbers. So this is a classic case of weight lifting strength not translating to the football field. He isn't going to get much stronger. He's been in the league like 3-4 years now? He came out as a NFL ready prospect with a high floor and not a lot of ceiling. So I don't think we are going to see an improvement in that catagory...it'll have to be technique work with him to stop the bull rush because his body is maxed out imo.
                Free was not hurt if memory serves me. Pretty positive he was active as well because, commenators made note of it, I'm fairly certain. Flo went down and Davis came in. Davis had been seeing some more time at LT anyway because, Flo was out of camp for a while. Demarcus calling BIG a "true Left Tackle" during this span. The confidence in Free was waivering until Colombo went down and we were forced to play him at RT, where he played very well.
                Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 04-02-2010, 04:38 PM.

                Thanks BoneKrusher^

                http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                KO KNOWS

                Comment


                • Hmmm I maybe mistaken. I could've sworn that Free was injured last year at some point...maybe it was TC that I'm thinking about and he tweaked something. When Flozell went down is it possible that Columbo had already went down and Free was at RT and McQ wasn't active? I very well could be in the wrong here but I thought something funky happened that caused LD to move out and Proctor to move in for those 2 plays.

                  Comment


                  • Shed no tears for the loss of Flozell, I know I won't -- my 1st post on NFLDC was bitching about his false starts, I think he had one too many despite the big contract re-up 2 yrs ago.

                    Good ******* riddance, let him blow snap counts & draw yellow flags for some other unfortunate team.

                    O-line wise, so now we're (pun intended) ....

                    Free at last! Free at last! Good God Almighty, Free at last!

                    With Doug Free the new apple of Houck's eye & the general rule of thumb that it takes at least 2-3 yrs. to train an NFL LT in the same system, I think they will go safety in the 1st rd. & O-line depth in later rds.

                    And that means we're looking at Taylor Mays, as Berry is gong to be long gone & maybe Earl Thomas too -- he pulled a hamstring at the Texas Pro Day last wk. btw, IDK his prognosis. If Thomas is OK & available the media in the state of Texas will be all over them as usual to take him & let him compete with Ball for the starting job. That freakish 40 time Mays posted will loom large on draft day & maybe have some team in the mid-1st fall in love with him, that is if they forget about all those tackles he missed in the Pac 10 last yr. All those factors may be negligible as far as Dallas in concerned, maybe they can make do with him with positive lessons learned from current Bengals safety Roy Williams, & Mays is much faster than Roy ever was. The more I think about it the more I'm liking the Mays pick at 27 -- if they can teach Bobby Carpenter how to not miss tackles they can do the same for Mays.

                    Who could be the elite LT who drops? Bruce Campbell or Ducasse, & I prefer Campbell, another freakish (4.3) 40 time from the Combine & his excellent size & upper body strength.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                      Who could be the elite LT who drops? Bruce Campbell or Ducasse, & I prefer Campbell, another freakish (4.3) 40 time from the Combine & his excellent size & upper body strength.
                      I guarantee you that Bruce Campbell did not run a 4.3 at the Combine.

                      Comment


                      • Our plan all along was to take Bruce at 27 and move him to WR. Not a secret anymore after that 4.3. :P

                        Thanks BoneKrusher^

                        http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                        http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                        KO KNOWS

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                          Our plan all along was to take Bruce at 27 and move him to WR. Not a secret anymore after that 4.3. :P
                          hahhaahhaahahah!

                          Actually I thought he was gonna be the first OT to TE NFL conversion that we've seen. LOL!

                          Comment


                          • He ran a 4.78 for the record

                            Comment


                            • Charles Brown? or are you guys officially putting Free at LT? I recall that Free was most of the reason for Garrette Wolfe's amazing NCAA yards rushing record approach (but fail).

                              Comment


                              • You dont cut Flo, unless you're ready to go with Free. No chance of us starting a rookie at LT this year.

                                Thanks BoneKrusher^

                                http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                                http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                                KO KNOWS

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information