Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think there is some unwarranted excitement over Ogletree right now. All we've seen are flashes. Let's not be so quick to crown him.

Ogletree isn't your typical slot receiver. He's a big 6'2, 190 WR. If it were up to me, I'd want to find someone who is quicker in their breaks, a really sharp route runner who is good at finding soft zones, willing to go across the middle and chew up the field. To me, he's more of the split end mold, but to get more playing time... ...slot has been a way to get him on the field.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
      I think there is some unwarranted excitement over Ogletree right now. All we've seen are flashes. Let's not be so quick to crown him.

Ogletree isn't your typical slot receiver. He's a big 6'2, 190 WR. If it were up to me, I'd want to find someone who is quicker in their breaks, a really sharp route runner who is good at finding soft zones, willing to go across the middle and chew up the field. To me, he's more of the split end mold, but to get more playing time... ...slot has been a way to get him on the field.

Our offense puts alot of different types in the slot though. Martellus does it alot, Witten does it, Roy lined up there, Austin was there quite a bit too. I'd expect to see Dez inside alot too, or kick him outside and Austin in the slot also.

I would of loved a McCluster type to be the slot, but we don't have that guy. And to be honest, was Crayton ever really a guy who was "quicker in their breaks, sharp route runner" type of guy? He was just a guy who could find the soft spots in the defense, with good hands. I don't see that much of a difference between him and Ogletree besides the fact that Ogletree is more explosive. Crayton isn't really an ideal slot guy in those terms you used.

I'll admit all Ogletree has shown is flashes, but during his rookie season that's all Felix Jones showed us, that's all we had to go by for most players before they broke out. I don't think Ogletree is a future pro bowler but I do think it's very obvious to see he's a very good WR who will continually get better. It spoke volumes to me that the coaching staff was trying to find ways and specific plays to get an UDFA the ball in key situations as a rookie, you don't do that just to be nice or spread the ball around, they see it too.

He knew how to do the little things that veterans knew how to do, get both of his feet down, find the 1st down marker, run great routes, excellent hands, we knew we had something with him and he was just way further along then your average rookie WR, let alone one who wasn't drafted.

I've probably been the biggest advocate of his around here, but I haven't crowned him anything other then a very solid WR which he was already last year. The moment was never too big for him, and just like any young WR he's going to continue to get better. I really don't think all your slot WR's have to be little tiny guys like Wes Welker.

Crayton is 6-0 204, Ogletree is 6-0 195. Ogletree is far more explosive, he's also only 22 years old when the season starts.

If Crayton was a slot WR all those years for us, no reason Ogletree would be a bad or less then ideal fit.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Remember... in limited time, there's also less opportunity/visibility to see mistakes and weaknesses. Remember when Crayton got labeled as the guy with the "best hands"??? Yeah, things changed once his playing time increased. I like Ogletree, don't get me wrong... his flashes were memorable. But I'm just siding on the side of caution. (I'm sure people think I'm an Ogletree hater now. lol).

Stacking him up against Crayton isn't what I had in mind. There's a reason why we don't like Crayton anymore. If the suggestion is that he can be a slot because Crayton was a slot and our TEs and other WRs were slots, that doesn't mean a lot to me.

Happy to say though... that we are one of the few teams out there that shouldn't be demanding of our slot WR. It's a pure luxury position. Having a hard working guy who is effective on the field like Ogletree/Hurd is good enough. I shouldn't sound like I'm bashing him, cause I'm not. I just think he's a normal role player who has flashed nice upside.
        Last edited by D-Unit; 04-26-2010, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Stacking him up against Crayton isn't what I had in mind. There's a reason why we don't like Crayton anymore. If the suggestion is that he can be a slot because Crayton was a slot and our TEs and other WRs were slots, that doesn't mean a lot to me.

Happy to say though... that we are one of the few teams out there that shouldn't be demanding of our slot WR. It's a pure luxury position. Having a hard working guy who is effective on the field like Ogletree/Hurd is good enough. I shouldn't sound like I'm bashing him, cause I'm not. I just think he's a normal role player.

Reason we don't like Crayton is because he's had got people behind him who can do a better job then he can at this point. He's 31 years old and had 6 solid years with us, he was never fast to begin with and he's gotten caught from behind by LBers multiple times, we weren't going to keep him forever and I would say his 6 year stint with us was very positive considering he was a former QB and a 7th round pick.

I'm just saying he was an ideal slot in his time with us, and we really had a good thing when he was the slot WR even if he wasn't what most would consider an "ideal" slot guy. For all we know the reason we don't want Crayton anymore is because Ogletree does everything he can do except better and with more explosion, and Dez just makes it a log jam and he's expendable.

I see what your saying, I just don't look at it like Ogletree won't be a bad fit in the slot, I really see that as his long term position here just as it was for Crayton. Hell with Austin and Dez on the team somebody has to be the slot WR, and I highly doubt we just brush him to the side.

You wanted Shipley really bad and he would be playing the slot WR role too for us, and honestly he's the exact same frame as Ogletree. What would of been different? I guess just seeing the success that Crayton had as a slot, I don't really think we need a smaller, quick twitch WR to make it work. I also don't think making him the slot is too much to ask of him right.

He'd be 4th or 5th in line for targets each play, and that's if everyone else broke down or was covered on the play, but with the confidence of Jerry, the coaching staff, and Romo that I noticed I think he's apart of our future one way or another.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
            Reason we don't like Crayton is because he's had got people behind him who can do a better job then he can at this point. He's 31 years old and had 6 solid years with us, he was never fast to begin with and he's gotten caught from behind by LBers multiple times, we weren't going to keep him forever and I would say his 6 year stint with us was very positive considering he was a former QB and a 7th round pick.

I'm just saying he was an ideal slot in his time with us, and we really had a good thing when he was the slot WR even if he wasn't what most would consider an "ideal" slot guy. For all we know the reason we don't want Crayton anymore is because Ogletree does everything he can do except better and with more explosion, and Dez just makes it a log jam and he's expendable.

I see what your saying, I just don't look at it like Ogletree won't be a bad fit in the slot, I really see that as his long term position here just as it was for Crayton. Hell with Austin and Dez on the team somebody has to be the slot WR, and I highly doubt we just brush him to the side.

You wanted Shipley really bad and he would be playing the slot WR role too for us, and honestly he's the exact same frame as Ogletree. What would of been different? I guess just seeing the success that Crayton had as a slot, I don't really think we need a smaller, quick twitch WR to make it work. I also don't think making him the slot is too much to ask of him right.

He'd be 4th or 5th in line for targets each play, and that's if everyone else broke down or was covered on the play, but with the confidence of Jerry, the coaching staff, and Romo that I noticed I think he's apart of our future one way or another.
            Oh. When I looked up Kevin Ogletree in google, the first link is wikipedia. So I clicked it and it said he was 6'2, 186. I didn't think that was your typical slot WR size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Ogletree

A lot of people compared Shipley to Wes Welker, so that's one of the things that attracted me.

Comment

• Dez Bryant and Miles Austin, the WR corps are loaded. I agree, you guys have a dilema at the slot, but I see young capable people. Miles Austin, couldnt have a better name for a Dallas Cowboys.

Sig by Bone Krusher

Comment

• Originally posted by frubulubu View Post
                Miles Austin, couldnt have a better name for a Dallas Cowboys.
                If you ask Steve Young, it's Austin Miles. lol. ******* ESPN.

Comment

• There is no "ideal" size for a slot guy.

Some teams like to play big guys in the slot. The league def. favors the speedy/quick player in the slot now. But it really doesnt matter, whatever works.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                  KO KNOWS

Comment

• When the Vikings had Jake Reed, Cris Carter and Randy Moss, Carter would line up in the slot from time to time. Maybe you can have a slot WR, by commitee, lol. Steve Young is horrible, and whats up with his hair? The dude looks like he is using shampoo from the dollar store.

Sig by Bone Krusher

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                      There is no "ideal" size for a slot guy.

Some teams like to play big guys in the slot. The league def. favors the speedy/quick player in the slot now. But it really doesnt matter, whatever works.
                      It wasn't a matter of "what works" or "ideal size". It was a matter of adding versatility. Making it tougher for defenses to defend.

Don't get me wrong... having Dez Bryant in the slot in his rookie year makes me PLENTY happy! :D

Comment

• I'm having a hard time seeing as to how we're going to use RW this year. I mean, we've had him for almost 2 full seasons and we still don't know what he can give us. I'm thinking the best role for him would be a 3rd down guy, who Tony can look to underneath to move the chains. Only problem is you need to have trust with those guys, I don't think there is much trust between them right now.

It's really a shame, it's one of those situations where you just scratch your head. Really a big disappointment.
                        Cowboys Mock:
                        1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
                        2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
                        3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

Comment

• Originally posted by TheFinisher View Post
                          I'm having a hard time seeing as to how we're going to use RW this year. I mean, we've had him for almost 2 full seasons and we still don't know what he can give us. I'm thinking the best role for him would be a 3rd down guy, who Tony can look to underneath to move the chains. Only problem is you need to have trust with those guys, I don't think there is much trust between them right now.

It's really a shame, it's one of those situations where you just scratch your head. Really a big disappointment.
                          Redzone and posts are the two areas where he can help this football team in 2010. Anything on top of that would be exceeding expectations at this point I think. I think we'll see a better player than we did out of 2009...

Comment

• Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland asked Dez Bryant before the draft if his mom was still a prostitute.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...lack-of-class/

The dolphins organization is turning around but they still havenn't allowed a press conference for Zach Thomas or even sign him for a day so he can retire a Dolphin and basically dicked Jason Taylor arround by saying wait til after the draft and we'll let you know if we need you.

Comment

• Originally posted by crisco0710 View Post
                              Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland asked Dez Bryant before the draft if his mom was still a prostitute.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...lack-of-class/

The dolphins organization is turning around but they still havenn't allowed a press conference for Zach Thomas or even sign him for a day so he can retire a Dolphin and basically dicked Jason Taylor arround by saying wait til after the draft and we'll let you know if we need you.
                              Did he really ask him that? Hard to believe he would ask him that straight to his face. VERY hard to believe that... If so, Jeff Ireland is a complete douche. I'd lose ALL respect for him. That's low class.

Comment

Did he really ask him that? Hard to believe he would ask him that straight to his face. VERY hard to believe that... If so, Jeff Ireland is a complete douche. I'd lose ALL respect for him. That's low class.
                                http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl...ory?id=5140313

Jeff Ireland apologizes for what he said. Yep, he said it.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information