Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, since we're back onto draft talk.

My official stance is that we need to draft a DB or Pass Rushing DE/OLB in the first round and in the second we draft the other.

After that we should concentrate on developmental players for WR/OL/DL/RB positions.

I began this thought process by asking, what common denominators there are with Championship teams.

The two single things that seemed to be apparent with virtually all SB teams is a very good QB (which we appear to have, but time will certainly tell) and a very good defense. Although we've invested alot of draft picks toward defense, we're still not dominant in that area.

To that end, I feel if it's a common denominator and it's one of the only common denominators then it's what we should concentrate on.

Designs by Thule

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
    I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

• Draft and Free Agents

I don't think a CB in round 1 or 2 is the way to go. Now if we can get a top rank FS...than go for it. What do u think of that merriweahter from Miami...would he be an upgrade over watkins?

Next year........What about Ellis..do we cut him or do u see him coming back.

I was looking at FoxSports rumors and they have us going after thier LB Adalious Thomas..

I think a DL would be a good and safe pick. I also think a WR might be worth a gamble if parcelss wnats to get into Owens head. For people who think Owens is out and all those experts..I really don't think Parcells will make a return and try one last time for a super bowl without Owen...it would be like starting over again.....Owens brings porblems,but he opens up the game so much for witten and glenn.

Players who will be gone:
      Bledsoe
      Al johnson
      Keith Davis....traded.....I really think so
      Al Singleton

who are recognized by serious fans....i am sure other will be gone.

Please reply

Comment

• Originally posted by Number-94
        What does everyone think of Josh Wilson? Was thinking of him in the 2nd round if he's still there. Reminds me alot of Aaron Glenn and could learn from him, plus he will be able to take over the #1 CB job if Newmans age ever catches up to him around 32 or 33.

Lets face it Glenn is 34...I think... and Henry is 30 aren't gonna last forever.
        I mentioned this about 5 pages ago...that Wilson is essentially a Glenn clone with superiour return abilities. Depending on how he shows at the combine he may not be available in the second.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule
          Originally posted by Number-94
          What does everyone think of Josh Wilson? Was thinking of him in the 2nd round if he's still there. Reminds me alot of Aaron Glenn and could learn from him, plus he will be able to take over the #1 CB job if Newmans age ever catches up to him around 32 or 33.

Lets face it Glenn is 34...I think... and Henry is 30 aren't gonna last forever.
          I mentioned this about 5 pages ago...that Wilson is essentially a Glenn clone with superiour return abilities. Depending on how he shows at the combine he may not be available in the second.
          I'm hoping there's some way he will run a 4.45 Well, that's still good but IMO wouldn't be enough to boost him to the 1st. In the 1st I want either a CB or a OG to replace Rivera, he is playing god awful. Pushed back, ran by, or getting a holding call; I very very rarely see him making a actually block. Might be a good tutor though.

Originally posted by chrlopez1
          What do u think of that merriweahter from Miami...would he be an upgrade over watkins?
          I'm sorry even though I love Reggie Nelson, you don't replace someone with as much physical ability as Pat Watkins that quick. You just don't, we have to give him his fair shot. I think your expecting to much out of a rookie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Number-94
            Originally posted by thule
            Originally posted by Number-94

I'm hoping there's some way he will run a 4.45 Well, that's still good but IMO wouldn't be enough to boost him to the 1st. In the 1st I want either a CB or a OG to replace Rivera, he is playing god awful. Pushed back, ran by, or getting a holding call; I very very rarely see him making a actually block. Might be a good tutor though.

Originally posted by chrlopez1
            What do u think of that merriweahter from Miami...would he be an upgrade over watkins?
            I'm sorry even though I love Reggie Nelson, you don't replace someone with as much physical ability as Pat Watkins that quick. You just don't, we have to give him his fair shot. I think your expecting to much out of a rookie.
            Wilson will run a sub 4.40 but that still doesn't put him in the first round. It's really gonna be how he shows at the combine...more technique I believe.

We are on the same page with Rivera...I've been calling for his head since 5 weeks into the season. I wouldn't be surprised to see us address this in FA.

I still think Tom Zibby fits our void nicely esspecially if we can get something for davis.

Comment

• The thing with Watkins is I really haven't seen anything at all from him that would make me think he is the answer at FS. No steady or consistent play, no unbelievable feat of athleticism that he supposedly has, lack of ball skills when the deep ball is thrown, nothing. I know he is just a rookie and we say he never got a fair shot, but he started the first few games of the season, and aside from a fumble recovery against the Eagles, he did not play well. Even recently he hasn't shown an type of progression. And I believe if he doesn't progress in the offseason, we'll be in the same situation next year, the same situation we've been in since Woody left. So if in the 1st round, someone like Nelson, Griffin or Landry falls to us I saw we take him. They are playmakers, and instant impact players who can compliment Roy very well. I know, Watkins is probably a nice kid, and he has all the tools, but I just have very little faith in him. That's just me.

Comment

• Originally posted by LSUALUM99
                Well, since we're back onto draft talk.

My official stance is that we need to draft a DB or Pass Rushing DE/OLB in the first round and in the second we draft the other.

After that we should concentrate on developmental players for WR/OL/DL/RB positions.

I began this thought process by asking, what common denominators there are with Championship teams.

The two single things that seemed to be apparent with virtually all SB teams is a very good QB (which we appear to have, but time will certainly tell) and a very good defense. Although we've invested alot of draft picks toward defense, we're still not dominant in that area.

To that end, I feel if it's a common denominator and it's one of the only common denominators then it's what we should concentrate on.
                Your LB core is fine. Its the front 3 that are mediocre. Even in a 3-4, it all starts up front with the horses. If they don't do their job, the LBs can't roam free. And Spears has been a bust so far, and Canty has been average. Couple that with an average 3-4 NT (Fergy is good, but nothing to brag about), your LBs aren't coming unblocked. No LB core in a 3-4 is worth squat without a dominant front 3.

Im starting to think that your mock should be built around that issue. Maybe Pitcock could be that high motor pass rusher that you guys lack, and replace Spears.

Comment

• WTF is that bigblue

Comment

• All the talk about zibkowski as a FS is out of place. First he is another grossly over rated ND white guy. Sorry guys. Second he is a SS in the Pros.

Every FS in the NFL should have played CB in College at a minimum or have those types of athletic skills. FS today has tons of coverage responsibilities and the 'step slow big hitter' is an anachronism.

This is why I am advocating Henry to FS.

On draft, if we can't get an edge rusher in round 1 we should get em in FA. Adalius Thomas would be great but expensive. In the draft, a guy who may fall to Dallas is Woodley from Mich. Kinda short for Bill but strong and can play either side.

DT in round 1 aint happin unless Branch falls into our lap.... Not. DE, not sure anything better than what we got.

Personally, I prefer they address CB or OL or WR in the first. I think draft is deepest here and when picking late 1 you need to go where depth is to get talent.

Comment

• I also advocate pushing to get Shaun Rogers from Detroit.

He would solve lots of problems in the pass rush and could play DE in run situations with Fergie as NT.

Probably need to give up one of our DL guys plus a pick but ....

Guy is in Marinelli's dog house and BP likes him.

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboysforever
                        I also advocate pushing to get Shaun Rogers from Detroit.

He would solve lots of problems in the pass rush and could play DE in run situations with Fergie as NT.

Leave Rogers alone, another guy with substance abuse problems is the last thing we need.

Comment

• The real question is, who do we get to replace Julius Jones?

I personally think we should get Brian Lenoard. Think about it, he could line up at FB or HB, we could have him split carries with Marion Barber, he's a good lead blocker, and he can catch out of the backfield.

I really liked julius in his rookie season, but let's face it he runs like a ***** now, he has no heart. I say we dump him this off season.

Comment

• Originally posted by leroyisgod
                            Originally posted by cowboysforever

Leave Rogers alone, another guy with substance abuse problems is the last thing we need.
                            Who do we have with a substance abuse problems?

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboysforever

I'm agree with you on Rogers, he would be a huge upgrade. We need someone like Castillo too.. Maybe Hatcher could step up, or maybe Canty is just having a sophomore slump..

And for the Julius question, I don't think that if we trade him we'll need a Brian Leonard type of player, we'll need someone more like Ray Rice than Leonard.. A speedy back..

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• What do yall think our #1 need is now for either the draft or FA? I said a couple weeks ago it was FS but now I'm not so sure as Pat Watkins seems to be improving each game and I think he's got a lot of potential. I think we need to address the fact that we don't have a consistent pass rush except Ware, that's a big reason we're currently ranked 20th in the L in pass defense.

Here are our offensive and defensive rankings:

Offense: Total 4th Run 10th Pass 4th

Defense: Total 11th Run 7th Pass 20th

Obviously the only glaring weakness is pass defense and we already have a lot of money invested in the secondary and by and large they have played well this season. Therefore I think our biggest weakness is our lack of a consistent pass rush, so I think that's our biggest need, I'm just not sure how we should address this need as we already have a lot of money and or draft picks invested on guys like Spears, Canty, and Carpenter, and it's still way too early to write those guys off.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information