Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barber isnt even playing all that well...he only averaged about 3 yards a pop today because he kept running sideways. Aggravating me in the process. He also fumbled. lol. If he would just run north-south, he'd be just fine. He needs to adapt to his diminishing skills as a runner. He's not even close to what he was. Heck, today instead of accelerating for extra yards, he would brace for contact and just try to protect the football on several occassions. You can tell he knows he's not as good as he once was, but he hasnt fully grasped it yet, with the constant attempting to bounce everything outside. Which is something he's always done in his career.

Felix sees different types of plays, designed to get him in space. But our line has been terrible at sealing off that edge on outside runs. Like I said before, Garrett needs to find some kind of running package that works with regualrity for Felix and that line. So he's not constantly getting pushed out of bounds on a toss or being met at the handoff. Felix is still as scary as ever in the open field, he played very well today. The problem has been getting him to the 2nd level. Today, the O-line played very well...especially in the 2nd half. I actually wonder why Garrett didnt get Felix the ball more, seeing how there were big holes to run through and he was averaging 6-7 yards every carry. But again, that Garrett is a god damn moron.

Honestly...Barber is getting closer and closer to being a goal line back exclusively. Can you really keeping feeding him the ball 15 or so times a game, when he's only picking up 3 yards per?

edit...

And as for Felix's YPC, if it's brought up. I think it's 3.5 (edit 4.0) right now. And that is greatly skewed because of that 7 for 7 game. Where he was met in the backfield constantly. His 22 carries on the year, is actually only 5 less than Barber saw just today. We need to get Felix the ball a lot more. Our offense today, was reminicient to last year's and a big reason why, was because we were getting Felix involved. The offense always has a little more giddyup, when Felix is running well.

It may sound like I'm making excuses for Felix...but I'm really not. Our line is legitmatly erratic in the run blocking game. And we're going to need to find ways to offset some of that, somehow. If that means simplifying the playbook and weeding out some of the consistently unsuccessful running plays...so be it.
    Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 09-26-2010, 05:44 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
    KO KNOWS

Comment

• You are making excuses for Felix a bit...

Barber looked decent today against a very fast Texans line, and to undermine that for the sake of defending Felix is a bit disingenuous. Felix needs more touches...The line needs to play better, but what I"m seeing from Barber isn't the same thing you're seeing. He's making the most of his carries, even if he's lost a step. He's hitting the hole, and being decisive in doing so. That's the best thing he can do to help an Erratic o-line.

Garrett still needs to get Felix out in space...That first run that was called back was a shame:td

Choice needs to be benched also.

Comment

• Dez was so close to scoring those 2 TD's today, he's gonna be something to watch, he makes the toughest plays look so east.

And MOTH, you ARE making excuses for Felix, even if you don't see it yet. You've been putting him on this pedastal for so long and making him into something he hasn't proved he is yet.

You've said things such as he's better then Chris Johnson, or can be just as good as he is, the same Chris Johnson who just broke Marshall Faulk's yards from scrimmage record and has been a feature back for the last 2 years on an offense that he is the sole offensive weapon.

You've also called him a pro bowl caliber back, among other things he's yet to prove. You've made tons of excuses for him and nothing is ever on him. At some point you've got to stop saying it's Garrett, or the offensive line, or not enough touches, or whatever else it is.

He's not special, I love his potential as much as you but he needs to show it on the field. Point blank, period. I'm not trying to hear anything else about how it's always someone else's fault when he doesn't produce. I love his potential and what type of player he is, but he needs to produce, it's pretty simple.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• meh. I dont see it as making excuses. Go re-watch that Bears game...and find me a play, where he wasnt being hit in the backfield, at the handoff, no less. With any semblance of blocking...the guy is a 5 yard per carry type of back.

Barber has averaged 3 yards per carry in each of his last two games. And he fumbled today. I wouldnt call that being productive. I was yelling at my tv all game for him to stop running sideways. I dont think he heard me, though. But really, that's not decisive running. He still has a bad habit off bouncing runs outside and his burst is long gone. He cant make those runs anymore. This Barber seems to get worse as the games goes on, opposed to be what he used to be.

There is no reason he should have 15 or so more carries than Felix right now. As for benching Choice? He doesnt even play really to begin with...but I'd bet if he had seen as many carries as Barber this year, he would have easily surpassed his numbers. All of his runs consist of running out of the wildcat and draws out of shotgun...this isnt college. It doesnt work all that well.

Listen, I love Barber. But it is more than evident that he is pretty beat. Garrett absolutely loves him, though. Which is also, insanely obvious. I honestly dont get it.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
            Dez was so close to scoring those 2 TD's today, he's gonna be something to watch, he makes the toughest plays look so east.

And MOTH, you ARE making excuses for Felix, even if you don't see it yet. You've been putting him on this pedastal for so long and making him into something he hasn't proved he is yet.

You've said things such as he's better then Chris Johnson, or can be just as good as he is, the same Chris Johnson who just broke Marshall Faulk's yards from scrimmage record and has been a feature back for the last 2 years on an offense that he is the sole offensive weapon.

You've also called him a pro bowl caliber back, among other things he's yet to prove. You've made tons of excuses for him and nothing is ever on him. At some point you've got to stop saying it's Garrett, or the offensive line, or not enough touches, or whatever else it is.

He's not special, I love his potential as much as you but he needs to show it on the field. Point blank, period. I'm not trying to hear anything else about how it's always someone else's fault when he doesn't produce. I love his potential and what type of player he is, but he needs to produce, it's pretty simple.
            Your point is equally moot...becuase, when is he ever going to get a chance to prove his worth? Garrett is giving him the same kind of workload that he saw as a rookie. He's not getting CJ carries. Not even a 3rd of them. And yes, I did say that he was every bit as talented as Chris Johnson....prior to his 2000 yard season. And yes, I do think he can be a very special player. I know you dont want to hear it, because you believe in this added weight nonsense, I suppose...but he has been absolutely stunning to this point in his career. A true game breaker, who averaged 6 yards per carry with over 100 touches last year. He has more than proven that he is the best back on the team, and has not seen any kind of reward for it. Matter of fact, he sees the ball less this year, than last.

What has Felix done for anyone to not give him the benefit of the doubt? That is what makes no sense here, coming from your side. Many fans are quick to get down on players...but Felix has done nothing for the fans to sour on him. It's no secret that he doesnt get the ball, anyone with a pair of eyes could tell you that our run blocking is terrible, more times than not, and Garrett has become one of the laughing stocks of the league, with the playcalling and offensive balance, or imbalance. There are more than enough factors weighing on the opposite end of the spectrum, to give Felix that benefit.

It's very aggravating to see a nearly over the hill Marion Barber, continue to double up Felix's carries. It makes no sense, what so ever.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Last thing I'll say...adding to the Felix support side. haha. Our team as a whole is averaging a sexy 3.3 or so yards per carry. Doesnt that say something about the run blocking? I mean, Felix's 4 yards per carry actually trumps that of Barber's 3.4 or Choice's 2.6. We're supposed to have one of the best running games in the league. Three starting caliber backs. What happened did they all just magically fall off in a course of a year? And yet, Felix is the obvious problem. And there is something wrong with him, because he's not producing like the previous seasons. All three have had their struggles...and Felix is still leading the way in yards per. hmm.

As for something else....hat goes off to the Rams. We're in the basement, but we're right there with Washington and New York. Could be a rough year for the NFC East. But let's just say, the sky isnt quite falling yet. Luckily, we have two weeks to prepare for one of our tough opponents, the Titans, for our next game. Giants are insanely mistake prone and that defense isnt scaring anyone. Should have won that Skins game week 1, so we could just as easily win the next at home. And the Eagles...they could be a problem. Seeing how there have been some huge running lanes against us and our safety play is poor. But on the flip side, they have a terrible offensive line, that we could exploit. Just saying...we may lose our fair share, but we still look like we're in good shape, against our divisional opponents. 1-2 sucks...but we're obviously far from out of it, despite what the past percentages say. Hopefully they're beginning to right the ship...Garrett and the line's inadequacies, will supply us with some speed bumps, but they shouldnt be enough to slow us all year. At least I sure as hell hope not. Just gotta hope the offensive talent off sets it, in some fashion. I def. feel much better about the season outlook after today. It was a very impressive victory.
              Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 09-26-2010, 06:30 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• I don't think Felix has looked bad. As M.O.T.H. has been saying, there really wasn't any holes for him to run through in the Chicago game. He really only had one bad game, and that was last week where he was 7 for 7. Today he played well when he got the touches, and in the Redskins game he played well with what he had. He just needs to get the ball more, but that's been the same old song ever since he's been here.
                "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

• It's much too early to worry about the season. These things play out over the course of 16 games. As much as I would've hated going 0-3, the division looks like it can be won with a 9-7 record. Some of the teams that looked fantastic last year look down right beatable. Vikings, Saints, Colts all look winnable if the Boys play like they're supposed to.

@ Moth - Again I'm not saying you're wrong in your fights for Felix to get more carries. I definitely think he should be getting the brunt of the carries, but you just can't seriously look at these 3 games and give him a pass, and blame everyone BUT him. I don't think he's lost a step, but he's not making the most of his carries sadly. Whatever the reason. I hope it's rectified. I really want to see Felix get the carries through the first 3 quarters and MBIII get the brunt of the carries in the late 3rd into the 4th, but the Boys have to be up to do that.

To further the case for Barber though....The boys are just penalty prone, and lack the fundamentals and discipline that are required in many of the screens/pulls/sweeps that Felix is best at. It's a hard truth unfortunately. Less "moving pieces" allow for a lower chance for mistakes. Take Felix's 32 yard gain that was called back by Miles' block in the back as an example.

I don't know if Felix would be as good running off tackle, or downhill as Barber would be, Garrett's goal has been to get him out in space. It'd be interesting to see how Barber would fare in the same type of runs Barber does.

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshBoy! View Post
                    It's much too early to worry about the season. These things play out over the course of 16 games. As much as I would've hated going 0-3, the division looks like it can be won with a 9-7 record. Some of the teams that looked fantastic last year look down right beatable. Vikings, Saints, Colts all look winnable if the Boys play like they're supposed to.

@ Moth - Again I'm not saying you're wrong in your fights for Felix to get more carries. I definitely think he should be getting the brunt of the carries, but you just can't seriously look at these 3 games and give him a pass, and blame everyone BUT him. I don't think he's lost a step, but he's not making the most of his carries sadly. Whatever the reason. I hope it's rectified. I really want to see Felix get the carries through the first 3 quarters and MBIII get the brunt of the carries in the late 3rd into the 4th, but the Boys have to be up to do that.

To further the case for Barber though....The boys are just penalty prone, and lack the fundamentals and discipline that are required in many of the screens/pulls/sweeps that Felix is best at. It's a hard truth unfortunately. Less "moving pieces" allow for a lower chance for mistakes. Take Felix's 32 yard gain that was called back by Miles' block in the back as an example.

I don't know if Felix would be as good running off tackle, or downhill as Barber would be, Garrett's goal has been to get him out in space. It'd be interesting to see how Barber would fare in the same type of runs Barber does.
                    I thought I made a thorough enough point, defending my right to give him a pass through 3 games. But whatever, we'll just keep going in circles. I tend to do that, when I'm in full on football mode. But anyway, he's had one bad game and it was a game where he couldnt even get out of the backfield without being touched. How that is his fault...I dont know. And in the other two games he averaged 5+ per. I think there is a pretty big overreaction going on here. In those two games he ammassed 81 yards on 15 carries. That's not making the most of his touches? He also had a 24 yard reception and a 30+ one today that was called back. I dunno, I think we're seeing some nervous reactions and some unwarranted "hate".

If this comes off as harsh or what not...that's not my intent. Just talking...no grumpy or intentionally mean undertones. haha.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• No I completely understand your point, and agree to an extent. It just seems you're giving Felix passes for things that Barber isn't getting passes for. Blocking isn't great up front.

Alas, we're going back and forth for nothing. Great win today, hoping to get healthy and come out the Bye against the Titans ready to go.

Any word on when Lee is going to be back? Brooking has looked downright horrible in coverage.

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshBoy! View Post
                        No I completely understand your point, and agree to an extent. It just seems you're giving Felix passes for things that Barber isn't getting passes for. Blocking isn't great up front.

Alas, we're going back and forth for nothing. Great win today, hoping to get healthy and come out the Bye against the Titans ready to go.

Any word on when Lee is going to be back? Brooking has looked downright horrible in coverage.
                        I certainly agree that Barber's yards per carry would be better, behind a better line. But it's not like he's running that great when the holes are there, either. He could, I def. think he can be effective, if he plays within himself. He's had a few nice runs this year. He just needs to stop dancing so much and stop trying to bounce everything outside. He's not that type of back anymore.

Felix has done just fine when the holes have opened up. You open them up, he's going to make something happen. Neither has been given great running lanes, though.

As for the game...I think my most hated player, Roy Williams, deserves some major kudos. I was really happy for him. I'm not holding my breathe, that it will continue. But as some have mentioned in here, he's looked fairly decent this year. Just gonna have to wait and see where it goes.

Dez and Martellus played very well today. Loved seeing this. If Dez had the targets, he looks like he could be one of those rare rookie to amass 1000 yards. I dont see him getting those targets this year...but he's freaking exciting to watch. And Martellus, just had a solid game. But that ankle still has me worried. It's still bothering him. Which is ridiculous, he's been gimpy for months.

Brooking on 3rd downs is terrible. Last thing we need is for teams to start targeting him. This needs to be fixed, ASAP. Maybe even over the bye week. Lee will be back by then, but maybe you go with a Williams or S. Mccray actually got some late action, I'm not even sure what position he was playing, though. I was just surprised to see him get on the field and an INT. He's another nickel candidate guy. Knowing us...we'll be sticking with Brooking.

Doug Free has silently been a bad ass mofo. He's keeping Romo's backside clean. Hopefully Kosier doesnt have to miss any time with that knee injury. These injuries along the line are getting ridiculous.

WARE. Outstanding. Spencer had some pretty good pressure as well.

Alan Ball blows...and I'm honestly not the biggest Scandrick fan. He's very inconsistent.

I think Newman has actually played damn well, this year to be honest.

Lots more to talk about...but that'll do for me.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• OT: McQuistan and Carpenter start for Miami.

Comment

• Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
                            OT: McQuistan and Carpenter start for Miami.
                            And Carp sucks ass for them. I didnt know McQ was starting.

BP just has some serious man crushes...because they were terrible Cowboys.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                              And Carp sucks ass for them. I didnt know McQ was starting.

BP just has some serious man crushes...because they were terrible Cowboys.
                              People love to repeat the same thing over and over again as if it makes it true.

MOTH, ever strike you they are not as bad as you wish they are?

Again, I keep coming back to the fact that there are lots of players on NFL rosters poorly typecast who can play for other teams.

Peterman starts for Detroit. Fujita. Shanle. They all suck too?

Comment

• Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
                                People love to repeat the same thing over and over again as if it makes it true.

MOTH, ever strike you they are not as bad as you wish they are?

Again, I keep coming back to the fact that there are lots of players on NFL rosters poorly typecast who can play for other teams.

Peterman starts for Detroit. Fujita. Shanle. They all suck too?
                                What does that even mean? Why would I want our players to suck? We've all seen tons of Carp and McQ. They played poorly.

Carp found his little niche at nickel LB, but was never good in Dallas. And then he got cut by ST. Louis for playing terribly. Honestly, Parcells was probably the only one who would give him a job. And it just so happens they have injuries at ILB, so they could use someone who knows the system. Carp is terrible.

Why did you even bring up Peterman, Fujita, and Shanle? Peterman was always hurt in Dallas, never really got a chance to show what he could do. Fujita is like 32 and he was on Dallas for like a year. He's okay, I guess...far from anything special. And Shanle's just some guy also....he's not any better than what we have. Of course guys we cut can play elsewhere...I fail to recognize your point. None of the before mentioned players are even that good.

The fact that Carp and McQ played for BP, benefits them greatly. For whatever reason, BP/Sparano are very loyal to former crappy Cowboys. Hell Procter was starting for a while. And he is useless. He isnt magically going to get better by going to the Dolphins. Sure, some benefit from a change of scenery...but some guys just cant play at this level. Neither Carp or McQ would be looking at starting jobs right now anywhere else. Carp blew that in St. Louis.

edit...McQ is only starting because John Jerry is sick.
                                Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 09-26-2010, 10:18 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information