This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
    Jerry Jones said a real mouthful about Miles Austin's ability to replace T.O.

"We know this, if [Austin] is close, then you're ahead of the game simply because of where they are in their careers," Jerry told reporters at the owners' meetings. "I certainly think he has a chance to be or I would never had released Terrell."

Any further questions about whether Austin is the favorite to start opposite Roy Williams?

That statement smacks of classic Jerry hyperbole. Austin has 18 catches in his career; T.O. once had 20 in a game.

But Jerry didn't make a bold prediction that Austin would join T.O. in the top tier of statistical receivers in NFL history. He simply indicated that Austin, who turns 25 this summer, has a chance to come close to matching T.O.'s production next season.

That might be a reach, but it's not a ridiculous thought.

We all know that T.O.'s numbers significantly declined last season, when he caught 69 passes for 1,052 yards and 10 touchdowns. According to Football Outsiders' metrics, T.O. was a slightly below average starting receiver. History tells us that receivers in their mid-30s hardly ever reverse the signs of decline once they start to show.

Austin has T.O.-like size and speed. He scratched the surface of his potential last season, when he caught 13 passes for 278 yards and three touchdowns during a campaign interrupted by a couple of knee injuries. He ranked among the league's best bang-per-ball reserve receivers, per FO's formulas.

Factor in further decline for T.O., more opportunities for Miles, cross your fingers that he can stay healthy ... hey, Jerry might not be crazy after all, at least in this case.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...tos-shoes.html
    March 2009 BTW.....

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

March 2009 BTW.....
      Again, this is right way of looking at it.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.347c046.html

....... in fact if you look through any of the blog entries and actually read the Austin concept is so secondary as to be irrelevant.

TO was let go for good reasons but to say it was b/c Jerrah had faith in Austin replacing TO is beyond the pale.

Also let me point out "We know this, if [Austin] is close..." Not exactly certainty.
      Last edited by herniateddisc; 09-27-2010, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
        This is more like it ........

Again, TO was cut cuz he though Roy was the man.

Did he say nice things about Miles? Sure. But it is crazy to say TO was cut for Austin.

TO was cut for Romo and belief in Roy. Austin was not even a starter coming out of camp.

Jerrah loves all players and he talks nonsense about all of them but proof is in who was on the field .... it was Crayton. Not Austin.
        Remember, when we cut TO, the burden was not going to be placed on just 1 person to step up to fill. It was a collective burden, but Jerry trusted that we had the talent to fill in the gaps. Nobody was talking about Roy replacing TO's huge numbers single handedly. It was going to be a collective effort.

Austin's breakout was a marvel. Something the team hopes for every one of their young players. They keep them around hoping that they get there. It was a showing of faith that kept Austin in Dallas as long as he was. Especially after being an UDFA. Many others came and went, but Austin has stuck around. He surely wouldn't have if Jerry didn't believe in his potential.

Comment

What a joke, pointing to an August 25th 2010 article with Jerry alluding to how much faith he had in Austin being the reason for letting Ownes go in Spring 2009.

Another person making up history. To the point of sickening if not so obviously silly.

Anyone of you Jerrah lovers want to find ONE article which before KC last year had Jerry alluding specifically to Austin as being the reason he had faith in letting Owens go?

Hmmm, sounds more like YOUR the one backtracking here. Why didn't you just originally say "well Jerrah only said those things way after the fact after KC"? Your response when I told you that he said those exact same things people are posting is "Longhorns you clearly made those things up your a liar shame on you". Lmao.

And again, if he didn't have faith in him prior to the KC game, why was he pretty adamant about matching the Jets offer instead of taking that 2nd round pick? In fact, if he ended up sucking and we didn't take that pick, you would be doing the exact same thing your doing now with Martellus in that Cincy offer.

It's always fun to play the hindsight game with you, you've mastered it.
          Last edited by LonghornsLegend; 09-27-2010, 05:13 PM.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Except Parcells has already quit way before they signed Carp.

Again, entitled to opinion but not facts.

Carp was signed by Ireland and the D Coaching staff in Miami --- a team looking to get talent wherever they can.

Yet this MYTH that Parcells got Carp b/c his father played for him exists all because no one (not even me) liked the pick or Fasano.

BP is partial to big school players. That is his problem when evaluating talent. Just like Jerrah falls in love with his players in spite of performance.
            WHY IS ALL YOU DO IS ARGUE AGAISNT THE COWBOYS.. F*CK... it gets annoying.

Stop or leave dude. Sh*t. I'm tired of checking in on this board to read some quality posts from D, THule, or LL and see your OMG bill parcells has a massive co*k and jerry sucks as an owner with a little *****. Damn dude.

Comment

Again, this is right way of looking at it.

....... in fact if you look through any of the blog entries and actually read the Austin concept is so secondary as to be irrelevant.

TO was let go for good reasons but to say it was b/c Jerrah had faith in Austin replacing TO is beyond the pale.

Also let me point out "We know this, if [Austin] is close..." Not exactly certainty.
              Again from your article

Jones envisioned Williams and Owens complementing each other but it never happened. Now Jones has high hopes for Williams and Miles Austin because of their speed.

"We know this, if [Austin] is close, then you're ahead of the game simply because of where they are in their careers," Jones said. "I certainly think he has a chance to be or I would never had released Terrell."

Pretty sure this shows how high he was on Austin. Just admit your wrong and lets move on. Oh I forgot, your never wrong :roll:

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

Pretty sure this shows how high he was on Austin. Just admit your wrong and lets move on. Oh I forgot, your never wrong :roll:

Thus is the world of Bob on these forums.

At first it was:

Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
                You know when they let go of TO not one single person cited trust in Austin as being the reason. Yet now, he gets points for it.

Then, when everyone reminds him that Jerry was giving Austin credit well before he blew up onto the scene, then this:

Anyone of you Jerrah lovers want to find ONE article which before KC last year had Jerry alluding specifically to Austin as being the reason he had faith in letting Owens go?

Which you obviously did. But then it turns to, "well, Jerrah just says stuff like this about all his players and hypes up everyone onto the roster", then goes on to reach for another strawman argument that gets further and further away from what he originally said in the first place.

But where "Jerrah lovers" for some reason, if you don't give Bill Parcells credit for everything he has done in his career, and here, and bash ANY and everything Jerry has done here your a "Jerrah lover". Lol.

Comment

• Yea....man...HerniatedDisc, or Bob, or whatever it is you go by...Reading this board for years, you've been spot on in some of your assessments, and completely wrong in others. That's fine, everyone has hits and misses(including Jerry).

You're just arguing to argue now though. It's a fact that Jerry believed that Austin would step up, it's also a fact that he thought Roy would be TO's replacement, all of it's true as a collective. Does it really matter who "called it". It's done, Austin is and looks to be a real star...So let's move on?

It's kind've ridiculous...You're arguing for back pats at this point. What you wanted to come to fruition...eventually did. Who cares if you were the first, or last to call it?

Anyways...

Free is looking like a real stud, we need to make some serious moves this offseason to fix the rest of the line, and bring in a playmaking safety, and I think we can seriously be set for the next 5 years barring major injuries.

That is...unless the Boys tank and we go through huge changes on both the coaching and personnel front.

Comment

• Also, of note... Jerry has already shown the biggest sign that he's admitted that he made a mistake in getting Roy. He drafted Dez.

But I really can't fault him for getting Roy, because at the point in time that we got him, Roy was considered a bright young player who was held back by injuries and being a Detroit Lion. Hindsight is clear now, but it wasn't then.

Comment

• Is anyone hoping Sam Young can be our next Colombo?

I know D-Unit doesn't even think he should be on a high school football field lol, but what about everyone else?

Comment

• Originally posted by CDCB14 View Post
                        Is anyone hoping Sam Young can be our next Colombo?

I know D-Unit doesn't even think he should be on a high school football field lol, but what about everyone else?
                        I have more hope for Brewster, but ideally we'd be lucky to have 1 end up a future back-up who is capable of being solid in case of an injury. Brewster probably has a better chance of being a future starter. I don't really think there is much optimism to have over the depth on our O-line turning into a future starter.

Comment

• Congrats on the win.

The game didn't go the way that I hoped, but it was cool seeing Roy Williams have a big game as a Longhorns fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                            This season? Woah. He had a good game, but he's still been dropping passes, fumbling, and been his sorry self before this game. Let's pump the brakes just a bit HH, he stepped it up, but I wouldn't even come close to saying he's been really good this season. He needs to string together 4 consecutive good games without a huge mistake or an easy drop.

Also, Jason Witten is gonna be a HOFer and he's not even 30 years old, there is nothing to worry about there. It's not like he's the 1st and only option like Gates is in SD, or like Gonzalez was his entire career in KC, look at who we have to give the ball too here. Talking about trading him is just stupid and not worth discussing what so ever, and I wouldn't even be halfway concerned about him either.

Ok. True enough. You put me in my place. Let me rephrase a little.

Good for Roy Williams? There. That is a little more accurate. You are completely correct, and I stand corrected.
                            I published my first book. Available in ebook or paperback! Check it out!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Comment

A great point by Bob Sturm

I don't think we can understate the job of the defense when it was determined that Owen Daniels did not get into the end-zone early in the 4th Quarter. The ball was spotted about a foot outside the endzone and with Arian Foster with the ball, I was not expecting a stand like that. If you watch that sequence again, you simply must watch Anthony Spencer and his amazing 3 play sequence. On 1st Down, 93 blows up Vonta Leach as the lead blocker and the play is ruined. On 2nd Down, 93 destroys Joel Dreessen and then nearly brings Foster down himself. And on 3rd Down, he is held by Eric Winston as he turns the corner on the pass into the endzone. The next play was Brooking's sack and the Cowboys held. But, Spencer was the hero on this stand.

This was a great goal line stand! AS was big time on this series.
                              Spencer is one of my favorite guys on defense. It's amazing to have the tandem with him and Ware back there. I'm glad he's finally getting some notice for the things he does. If Ware wasn't here he'd probably get a little bit more attention as a Pro Bowl caliber player. It's a good thing he could be kept under wraps a little bit. I'm sure he'll continue to surprise everyone with just how well of a player he is the rest of this season.
                              "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                              ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

• After seeing the Packers lose to the Bears tonight, I'm feeling a little better about losing to them. Maybe we're not as bad as people think.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information