Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone see Scott's scouting report on Okoye? He has him pegged as a possible NT in the 3-4, which is strange because I had heard him talked about as a big-time one-gapper with good explosiveness. That's strange, but if this is true he could get a look from us, eh? I don't think anyone knows what to make of him with his youth and a lack of precedent, but if he has the potential to be a big-time NT, he would certainly jump way up near the top of my most intriguing prospect list.
    Originally posted by 21ST
    He was protecting his self
    Originally posted by tjsunstein
    From what? His leg?
    Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
    That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
    "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
      Did anyone see Scott's scouting report on Okoye? He has him pegged as a possible NT in the 3-4, which is strange because I had heard him talked about as a big-time one-gapper with good explosiveness. That's strange, but if this is true he could get a look from us, eh? I don't think anyone knows what to make of him with his youth and a lack of precedent, but if he has the potential to be a big-time NT, he would certainly jump way up near the top of my most intriguing prospect list.
      Around the board, I've heard everything from him being Cover 2 type DT, to your mentioned 3-4 NT. So either somebody doesn't know what there talking about, or Okoye is very,very , very versitle.

Comment

• I think someone eluded to the same thing I am asserting which is that other than TE we should take the best player available in this draft.

With that said, we should try to trade for, or sign, an impact player on the Front Seven. We won't get a starter on the front seven via draft.

A Thomas and S Rogers are atainable.

Draft this year is deep OL, DB and WR. But, hey, Marshawn Lynch would be sweet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul
          Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
          Did anyone see Scott's scouting report on Okoye? He has him pegged as a possible NT in the 3-4, which is strange because I had heard him talked about as a big-time one-gapper with good explosiveness. That's strange, but if this is true he could get a look from us, eh? I don't think anyone knows what to make of him with his youth and a lack of precedent, but if he has the potential to be a big-time NT, he would certainly jump way up near the top of my most intriguing prospect list.
          Around the board, I've heard everything from him being Cover 2 type DT, to your mentioned 3-4 NT. So either somebody doesn't know what there talking about, or Okoye is very,very , very versitle.
          At least he is young and big.

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboysforever
            I think someone eluded to the same thing I am asserting which is that other than TE we should take the best player available in this draft.

With that said, we should try to trade for, or sign, an impact player on the Front Seven. We won't get a starter on the front seven via draft.

A Thomas and S Rogers are atainable.

Draft this year is deep OL, DB and WR. But, hey, Marshawn Lynch would be sweet.
            Shaun Rogers is signed through 2010. No way he's attainable.

Designs by Thule

I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul
              I started a topic awhile back in the draft forum about him. I like his versatility, youth, and explosiveness. I was a little worried about the fact that he's lost some weight, but he's so young he has time to fill out. I think he's someone who bears watching.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
              Albert Camus

Comment

• This is random but does anybody else feel like this year's draft is really weak on talent compared to last year with the exception of wide receiver?
                "Red Ball"

Comment

• Originally posted by CTCowboysFan
                  This is random but does anybody else feel like this year's draft is really weak on talent compared to last year with the exception of wide receiver?
                  I think so. Last year was a really good year, and I definately think less rookies will have an impact imediately come next year compared to this year.

BoneKrusher

Comment

• Couple of things I wanted to mention.

- Why does everyone love Zibkowski so much? Is it the Notre Dame aura? I honestly wouldn't take him anywhere in the first 4 rounds. He is way too much of a project player. He can't cover at all, he has the physical attributes but will need a TON of technique work to be a good player. And at best I see him as a SS. I don't think you guys need another one of those.

- I think LSUAlum makes an excellent point. With the oline playing well and the OTs in this draft class being weak, and the DT group in this draft being weak, drafting a CB in round 1 makes sense. You have aging CBs, drafting a guy now will have him ready by 08/09 so you won't miss a beat. Maybe you can gamble on a guy like McCauley and hope he can learn on the bench for a year and then have a crazy CB duo the year after.

- To me, Okeye is a 4-3 NT or a 4-3 UT. Everyone who is saying he can be a 3-4 NT is just assuming that because he's so young that he can put on more muslce on his frame and learn the position. But just this year, he struggled at 315 and had his best games at 290, so I don't know if you'd want him to put on more muscle. He is very raw and can project into a number of roles, but from my own personal evaluation, I don't know if he can be a dominant 3-4 NT. I would draft him as a 4-3 NT/UT and hope that he can develop into a Henderson/Stroud with good coaching and strength conditioning. I don't know if he's worth investing as a Cover 2 UT like many say, he has too much potential to waste as a undersized penetrator.

- In regards to the FS position, like I said its a wait and see thing. If BP doesn't have faith in Watkins, he'll draft one no doubt. If he does, he probably doesn't draft a FS. Theres only one guy who knows the answer to that question, and he's not on this forum.

Comment

• Kevin Burnett plus Roy Williams get you Shaun Rogers.

Take out Roy and throw in a late 1 with Burnett, that works too.

Marinelli wants a faster D that can hit. Look at the reach for Ernie Sims.

Rogers, Fergie and Canty plus Spears, Hatcher coming in on nickel replacing Fergie....

I like that D with either Ware or Carpenter coming of the edge blitz or Ayodele in the middle.

Lotta beef with three above average pass rushers.

Comment

• This OL class looks pretty good on paper if you ask me.

A few juniors will juice it up nice too.

Either way we need a stud Guard to replace a broken down Rivera and some Tackle depth.

McQuistan may be a starter but given Colombo and Flozell, knee issues ya gotta carry some insurance.

This is why all things being equal trading up for Justin Blalock is plain smart.

You can have him replace Rivera but if two of your OL go down in any combo you have McQuistan, Proctor and best available with Blalock being able to play Tackle in a pinch.

This is one of the reasons Davin Joseph last year was a smart pick. Bright guy with talent for two spots in a pinch.

Comment

• I think we go BPA throughout most of the draft, I could see us trading out of the first to pick up another one for next year.
                          We have alot more question marks then people think.

QB: Romo is looking great, but we still have to have a backup, Bledsoe will not be willing to stay on the team if he is guarnteed backup spot he wants to start. Matt Baker is the only other QB on the roster unless you want to count guys who once played QB with Skyler Green, Damarius Bilbo, Crayton. So I could see us taking a QB later int he draft.

RB: JJ is looking like a 1 demnsional back, he does what your supposed to do and no more, he hits the hole dead center he hits right were he is supposed to go, he doesn't look for the cutback to make amazing things happen unlike MBIII, that could be a coaching standpoint, BP could have told JJ that no matter what hit the whole and keep driving to get the tough yards and let MBIII worry bout making moves because if you look at JJ his a bigger guy then Marion so he doesn't have the elusivness. I doubt we take a RB and we probley wont take a FB who was the last FB we took? Jamar Martin in the 4th and he never player more then a year. So don't get your hopes up on Leonard, Parcells and Co. seem to like the hits Hoyte delivers and the pass catching ablities of Polite, and everyone talking about getting another Inside LB needs to remember that that is were Hoyte played in college so he can double and play emergency MLB if needed.

WR: Terry and TO are getting old and thats no secret, Crayton nobody knows if he is amazing because he has always been a #3 but everyone needs to remember that he was a 7th round pick and wasn't supposed to even make much impact ever. He has already supassed what was wanted when he was drafted, I think he could turn into a productive #1-2 reciver, Then there is Sam Hurd and Miles Austin, Austin is probley done after the year unless he continues to impress people on kickoff returns like lately, Hurd on the other hand has speed and size, he is that overlooked guy on the team that doesn't get in much so nobody knows much about him yet he is on the roster and hasn't been cut so that must say something is good about him.

TE: We should not even worry about

OL: This is our biggest concern area IMO. Columbo has been an great this year, but was it a fluke? Flozell is in his 10th year thats a long time for a Lineman, how much longer will his knees last? Rivera like Flozell has been around pretty long for a lineman, how much longer can he last? Fabini has been a waste of good money, Koiser has been a downgrade from Larry Allen (who once agian made the probowl if that means anything). Gurode and Johnson are both capable of starting for many teams in the league, possibly move Gurode back to guard if Rivera or Koiser leaves? McQuistan coches liked but hasnt seen much time, is he the succesor to Adams? This is a spot I could see us loading up on alot of this year in FA and Draft, think about round 3-5 seeing at least 1 lineman and maybe 2 picked in those rounds.

DL: Spears has been a bit incosistent, same with Canty, but this is also only their second year let them progress a bit and we will see(also its the 3-4 Lineman are supposed to take up blockers and work their way to the backfield while allowing outside backers like Ware to get sacks) Jason at Nose has been soild but Montavius Stanley has been on and off the roster un reliable and Jay Ratliff has been playing some NT is different packages, Hatcher has been a welcome surprise in talent to me, Kenyon Coleman may have seen his last year in Dallas this year. I could see a pick at Nose but other then that I don't see much coming of the D-Line.

LB: Ware is a lock, Ellis was looking great and got hurt so expect him to be back, Adoyle and James both probley have a starting spot next year. Fowler has been getting PT to progress, Singleton is probley done in Big D(too much money invested in a backup), Carp is a soild backup who will challenge Ellis for a spot, then there are a few other guys who could move into backup roles here or there. Overall maybe a late round pick with a comp pick may be used here.

DB: Henry has been spotty in coverage, Newman is still doing great, Glenn is getting old and may be done, Roy Williams is still a great player who gets knocked for coverage overly much, he does have a good amount of picks for a Strong Saftey who arent used as the cover guy in most defenses, Watkins seems to be impressing coaches with size, speed, coverage, all but tackling because of form, Davis was a Parcells favorite before and now he isnt, he may be gone maybe not, Abram Elam seems to be a guy who may stick as a backup to Roy for a while, Nate Jones the coaches seem to like because he can play Corner or FS(In House fix for backup FS already?), Reeves has been a productive Dime back who could take Glenn's role if he leaves this year. Possibly a early pick at Corner to push Henry to cover better especially if Glenn leaves so that we can provide a good nickle back at least.

Special teams: McBriar should be back, Gramatica might be gone for a younger guy, Austin as return man, Green comes back to camp to try to make it on returns or maybe 3rd back over Thompson if he doesn't recover from injuries.

THis is what I could see the draft looking like
                          Option #1 #2 #3
                          1st: BPA/CB/Trade
                          2nd: CB/BPA/OL
                          3rd: OL/OL/CB
                          4th: WR/DL/BPA
                          5th: QB/QB/WR
                          6th: DL/BPA/OL
                          7th: OL/OL/BPA

Just my thoughts

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig

Comment

• Miles Austin is both bigger and faster than Sam Hurd.

Miles combine numbers where pretty impressive for a 6'3 -- 215 lber. Ran mid four four and also had some good short shuttle numbers.

Like Colston, wrong school and went to a team with old but great WR talent.

Hurd does however have the best hands on the team. Better than Crayton and that is saying something.

Comment

• I don't like Zbikowski one bit. He's not what we need and I think we could pick up somebody with good ball skills in the mid-rounds of the draft.

For the first round I would love to have a guy like Sidney Rice if TO does not return, which I really don't care that much either way but my preference would be that he doesn't come back and Bill Parcells does.

My other choice would be Justin Blalock because I feel like he could complete this offensive line.

My third choice would be a cornerback who is 6 foot tall or more who could develop into a good starter for us.

The final choice would be BPA or trade down.

-----
                              Here is my day 1 mock for the Boys right now.

1. WR Sidney Rice, South Carolina 6-4 205-If Terrell Owens leaves, the Dallas Cowboys will need a receiver with size and speed to come in. Sidney Rice is 6-4 205 pounds with 4.4 speed. With Terry Glenn and Patrick Crayton already weapons, Sidney Rice could complete this group of wide receivers and spread some youth on the offense as well. Terrell Owens produced well as a Cowboy on the field, but stats don't tell the whole story. TO had as many key drops as he did catches, and his mouth got in the way. Bill Parcells can deal with many different characters and he can also handle TO, he will just choose not to have him back. Bill knows the baggage is heavier than the actual talentand that's where he draws the line.

2. CB Daymeion Hughes, California 6-2 188-Here is a guy with good size and has that playmaker mentality. He also chips in on special teams and Parcells likes that.

3. OG Manuel Ramirez, Texas Tech 6-4 335-Ramirez has great size and is a great run blocker. Works hard and as we all know Parcells can work with you if you will work hard and Ramirez seems like a guy Parcells could make into a "player." Ramirez would complete the Cowboys offensive line if he could come in and start at right guard, or if Rivera returns push for playing time.
                              "Red Ball"

Comment

• I admittedly don't watch much of Tech but how good of a run blocker could Ramirez be or any OL from Tech as they pass the ball on almost every single play.

I like the idea of Sidney Rice if he comes out but it wouldn't really address our biggest need and it would probably take him at least 2 years to really develop.

I don't like the idea of drafting a CB on the first day unless it's with the idea of moving him to FS. I think we're set at CB for the next several years, I think AG has at least 3-4 good years left in his tank. He's smart and takes care of his body, he could be a little like Darrell Green at least in terms of longevity.

Damn there's no trash talk from either side during Dallas Philly week, must be the Christmas/Holiday spirit.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information