This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
    If this is true, that's BS. This crap is getting out of hand.

And onto Felix Jones, ok you made me do it :)

Very first play, pause at :05 secs, there is a lineman 2 yards into the backfield, Felix barely even got the handoff without a guy in his face. That qualifies as ****** blocking right? Of course, how do you let a guy 2 yards deep before the runner even takes 2 steps, yet Felix eludes the defender without him touching him.

Now the next cut he makes is in space but defenders were all around him, I haven't seen him make a cut that nice this entire season I'm sorry, but yes that does qualify as him being in space to make this cut, not the 1st one. He created the space on his own.

I won't deny that on alot of his highlights there were huge lanes, but I do disagree with the thought that he needs that space and those lanes to be there to be successful, though there isn't much to go off of from that season.

Now this is probably my favorite Felix Jones highlight ever in his entire career. He's made bigger, and longer plays, but this was our first pre-season game vs the Chargers after the 2008 draft, when we all knew he was special:

Now on the first play at :025 where are the lanes at? He was thrown a toss play and there was literally no hole, pause it if you don't believe me. He split 3 defenders and ran past a 4th, this year he's making that a solid gain and people are just saying "but there are no holes there".

Same goes for :45 secs, a swing pass, you can't tell me he didn't have this much room on none of those 10 passes Sunday. At :48 secs he has 4 Chargers around him about to make the tackle, and 2 others closing, make it 6 defenders forming a circle around him who could easily make the tackle, he blew past all 6(who all got within arms reach), out ran a 7th who came into play, and was a stiff arm away from breaking the tackle on the 8th guy.

Yes he was in space initially but it's not like he had picked up a ton of speed, he had only took a few steps before a guy was in his face, but have we seen this same open field agility this season? No, not even close.

I don't want to pull up a ton of plays or clips because I'm just not in the mood, but again i don't want to make it seem like I'm bashing him because I'm not, he did have a good game last week. What I'm saying is he is not the same explosive Felix Jones that we have seen previously, that doesn't mean he's trash. He's still our best RB, he's still very good and effective, but the big plays in limited touches are not there, and there IS something there.

I love Felix, he deserves to start and deserves to get his touches, and while I'm sure he'll have good games AND plays this year, I just don't see the same explosiveness, nor do I see the same lateral agility to blow by defenders as previous. There is no way he would have gotten 10 catches in 2008 in a game and not had a huge play, I don't care if it was against the Steelers.

I don't know how you can look at those plays, and tell me he's running the same, or that he needs a huge lane to run past everyone.
    Alright I'll play this game.

Run #1...that little chip by Anderson, was just enough to get Felix enough room. Today, he's seeing guys directly in his face right at the snap, there is a difference.

Run #2...something I've talked about all year. We cant seal the edge off like that anymore. Colombo pulls and makes a nice block. Have we been able to do that successfully at all this year? No. There was also pre-snap motion with Witten on that play. Something we've also seen a lot less of. That run has nothing to do with "the cut", he just rounds the edge. The blocking got him out in space and there was no one down field. Very good execution, Felix does the rest.

Run #3...Witten motion again. Big hole.

Run #4...Gorgeous blocking gets him to the next level.

etc...Huge holes throughout.

As for the preseason game...there is space, not much, but some and that's all he needs, and this is against backups, mind you. But anyway, Felix doesnt need a lot of space, but like every RB, he needs a little help. Just get him past the D-Line, at least. And he'll make good things happen, like so. He's done some of that this season.

Seriously...you've probably been looking at these clips for a while...does our line look even remotely close to what it looked like back then when run blocking? Hell no.

And I agree that I wish Felix would have done more with the receptions. He got tackled by some corners in the open field, but something needs to be said about their tackling and the repetitiveness of all those same exact throws. It's not going to be overly effective, if you keep calling it. They werent even buying it, by the end of the game.

How can I say Felix is still running the same? Did you not watch the Titans game? Looked like classic Felix all game. The speed, the quickness, the cuts, it all looked just fine.

http://prod.www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-g...es-34-yard-run

And it's a stupid play to bring up...but Felix looked like he shot out of a cannon on that last play of the game against Minny. He's still just as quick as ever if you get the guy some room.

Our run blocking is horrendous. It will probably run hot/cold all year. But I have no faith in them at all right now. Those holes you're seeing in those past videos are no longer there and there is no disputing that.

And as for the hook em horns celebration being the actual penalty. Yeah it was and it's complete BS.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
    KO KNOWS

Comment

• Robert Brewster was re-signed to our practice squad today, by the way. I just heard this.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post

Seriously...you've probably been looking at these clips for a while...does our line look even remotely close to what it looked like back then when run blocking? Hell no.
        I only looked at those plays for a few mins as I was making a post, my cpu is on wireless at my school so youtube videos have to load and takes too long to spend time trying to watch videos. I remembered the plays but wasn't looking at them long.

I agree on the plays with great blocking, which is why I left those out. Our line blocked better last year and he did have more lanes, my only point was that I felt he was still making something out of nothing which we aren't seeing. I don't think anyone can be honest with themselves and say out of all 10 of those receptions he was hit as soon as he caught the ball. You just said yourself he was wide open on a majority of those plays which we all know he doesn't need much space, just a little to make a big play happen. That's my point, but well just agree to disagree on this point.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• I agree...with agreeing to disagree. haha.

He wasnt tackled as soon as he got the ball...he gained an additional few yards on each. But the first few could have worked well, but after a while...they didnt bite on any of that junk. Vikes tackled very well, as well. Something our team isnt too hot at, most nights. My main beef right now, though...is the lack of running room, when he's on the ground.

Hopefully we can have some clear cut, consensus conclusions with a few more weeks. lol.

Anyway, didnt realize you were at school...what are you studying?

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

ugh. Barber is done. He's good for short yardage situation and the goal line, and that's where he has been spending his time the last two weeks. He's good in that role. I meant done as an every down type of back...he shouldnt be seeing the bulk of the carries. I love him in a short yardage role. If you havent noticed, I included Barber's name when talking about the run blocking all year. Neither guy has much of anywhere to run. I've maintained that fact all year. But Barber is nothing like he was...everyone knows this. And as I've said a billion times, Barber has been bouncing runs outside forever...he even did yesterday, once or twice and gained nothing on each of them. He loves going outside, he just doesnt have the speed out there anymore and for whatever reason, he keeps falling on his face a lot this season. Losing his footing for whatever reason.

Reneg? The guy does it all the time...I said he doesnt do it on every play, D. But he does it a lot. I hate being that guy...but if you just watch the games, you'd see it. I know you're watching, so it shouldnt be hard to see him do it. And Barber has been known to do this for years. Like even through the media...talked about many a times. It's not a well kept secret or fallacy, that he's liked to bounce it outside in his career. And again, he used to be able to do it with regularity.

As for when Felix is running...the guy fought hard yesterday. He's no stranger to barrelling into defenders these days. He doesnt have Marion's power, but Felix def. runs with heart and def. loves the game a great deal. I love the attitude both play with. Barber just has less tread on those tires now. I didnt even mean to be hard on Marion with that previous comment...I def. like him better in his current role the last few weeks. I was just talking more about the future going forward with Felix and Choice.
            Barber's speed was never a reason why he was good. His speed is not holding him back now. I know you want to think he's done, but he's not. Should he be the main ball carrier? That's a tricky statement. It depends on the game situation. I don't think you can go into the game with a predetermined amount of times you will run the ball with x RB. You go by the flow of the game. I will agree that Barber is a situational runner. That said, so is Felix. The only everydown back that we have is Choice. ...and I'll say it again. He needs to be featured A LOT more. He's a guy that can get tough yards despite holes not being there. His time is NOW. Period.

Felix has always been best as a situational rotation back. He was used properly at Arkansas. He was used properly the first couple years of his career. Problem is everyone wanted to see his best on every down, but now we're seeing... he's not like that on every down. He is still at best a situational rotation back. He needs fresh legs. He's not an every down back. You're not going to ask him to go straight up the field and expect him to drive the pile. However, that is Choice.

Comment

• We've seen him get the bulk of the carries for two weeks this year, D. Two weeks. Come on. lol. That's enough for you to write him off as the lead back, or an every down back?

And the guy has earned every right to get the bulk of the carries at this point in his short career.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• It looks like I'm going to choke somebody before this season is over. I gotta do something to ease the pain of a long season riddled with idiotic mistakes that keep costing games. Week one it's Barron, week 2 a few missed assignments on some big passes, last week it's the stupid unsportsmanlike celebration, yesterday it was Miles' pass interference that wiped away a huge TD. There needs to be some serious accountability and thinking here. It's like no one is learning from all the stupid mistakes at all.
                "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

We've seen him get the bulk of the carries for two weeks this year, D. Two weeks. Come on. lol. That's enough for you to write him off as the lead back, or an every down back?

And the guy has earned every right to get the bulk of the carries at this point in his short career.
                  I'm not writing him off. I want him to show something. I want him to be his old self. I loved his old self. ...and I don't want him to get the OL sucks excuse for the rest of the year either.

Comment

• Get in contact with Houck and tell him to get on their asses. Because this **** isnt going to fly in its current state.

Oh...did you guys hear the Dolphins cut the great Bobby Carpenter?

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Do you think if we beat the giants and jags and were at 3-4, theres still hope?

Comment

• An NFL source said the Packers have had talks with the Dallas Cowboys about “one of” their running backs. The 1-4 Cowboys rotate Felix Jones, Tashard Choice and Marion Barber, and ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported Sunday morning that it’s Barber that the Packers and Cowboys have discussed.
                        http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/include...&section_id=40

You guys down?

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                        they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                        Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

• I'm down. I still love the guy...but feel we'd be better off with Jones/Choice. I couldnt imagine getting anymore than a 4th for him. The contract/production/ability doesnt really add up. But alas, I doubt it happens.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Well then, Ted Thompson ha a 4th with your name on it.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                            they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                            Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

• Have Barber...he is playing his final year in dallas regardless...his cap number doesn't justify the production...Choice isn't going anywhere.

Comment

• Do you think it could be for a player not draft pick? Who would we ask for?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information