This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BX
    I'm very disappointed to learn about Ellis, but our LB corp is deep, so I'm not really worried about a replacement, whether it be Burnett or Carpenter. Hell, let's get Junior Glymph in on the action! It's all good.

The Colts game next week has me worried. I don't usually go into big games expecting the Cowboys to win, but I've got a feeling about this one that I just can't shake. I've been waiting for this game for two years now, and I really think we could win. The Colts have been stumbling lately (not enough to lose though), and I really think we can exploit some of their weaknesses.

Like I said, I'm not usually a homer.. but I can't help it this week.
    Actually, I feel little pressure heading into this game. No one expects us to win, so it won't be a big thing if we don't. However, if we limit our penalties and turnovers, I think we actually have as good a shot as anyone at upsetting the Colts. Of course, they haven't been able to control the penalties all year, so that's why it's a big if.

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboyz

did jason hatcher or kenyon coleman play? i saw ratliff got the fumble. after ellis left, there was no pressure at all.
      I think Carpenter went in at first, but a little later it was Hatcher. Since the Cards had totally abandoned the run by that point, the Cowboys were mainly going with 4 down lineman. Even Ellis was lining up with his hand on the ground before he was injured.

Comment

i'd like to see kevin burnett there, and junior glymp on the pass rush. bobby carpenter just looks like a mediocre linebacker, no explosiveness or strength. where are you manny lawson? he had all the measurables and the smarts :| seemed like a BP kind of guy.
        I don't know how can you say that. We haven't seen nothing of Carpenter. Except that he had some good moves rushing the passer from a DE position (he almost get a sack yesterday and he made some good moves in the final minutes of the Panthers' game)..
        Manny Lawson? He has shown that he probably won't be able to put up more weight. He's a good pass rusher but I think that he will be bad supporting the run for all of his career.. Manny Lawson can't play SOLB for me..

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• Originally posted by Modano
          Originally posted by cowboyz
          i'd like to see kevin burnett there, and junior glymp on the pass rush. bobby carpenter just looks like a mediocre linebacker, no explosiveness or strength. where are you manny lawson? he had all the measurables and the smarts :| seemed like a BP kind of guy.
          I don't know how can you say that. We haven't seen nothing of Carpenter. Except that he had some good moves rushing the passer from a DE position (he almost get a sack yesterday and he made some good moves in the final minutes of the Panthers' game)..
          Manny Lawson? He has shown that he probably won't be able to put up more weight. He's a good pass rusher but I think that he will be bad supporting the run for all of his career.. Manny Lawson can't play SOLB for me..
          actually, i think lawson's been playing solb and has been doing everything good except rushing the passer. he seems to have the nice smart man syndrome that polite had

all carpenter has done is prove he can't play special teams, which should be a huge red flag for a linebacker.

Comment

Originally posted by Modano
            Originally posted by cowboyz
            actually, i think lawson's been playing solb and has been doing everything good except rushing the passer. he seems to have the nice smart man syndrome that polite had

all carpenter has done is prove he can't play special teams, which should be a huge red flag for a linebacker.
            Well, in his press conference today Parcells said Carpenter is improving on special teams and is now making a solid contribution there.

I've watched the 49ers play some this year, most recently when they upset the Vikings in week 9. He tries hard, but his athletic ability hasn't shown up yet. He's running around lost, but is trying hard.

It's ignorant to say that Lawson would be doing better hear. He wouldn't have beaten Ellis out for his job and hasn't shown anything that great in San Francisco yet. Carpenter has been coming along and will get a chance to show some things in the next couple weeks.

Desings by D-Unit

Comment

• I saw the game, and I'm a little confused. Why do you guys say Carpenter is so slow? He looked pretty darned fast to me, and when he was DE, he was getting doubled on a lot of plays. He looks like hes gonna be a good player given the oppurtunity, I don't get why you guys were so hard on him.

Now he obviously gets his chance, and playing against Indy, he's gonna have to really be ready for it. I think he's gonna add an element to your defense that Ellis couldn't. His speed is gonna make this defense alot better. I was surprised to see him come off the line like that, because all the reviews so far have said that he was a turtle.

Im gonna go out on a limb here, but I'll still say it. I think the sacks and pass rush from your D are going to go up with Carpenter starting. I just see an element of speed that he brings that will be difficult for olines to block. Heck, for a rook, he looked real good in his first legit playing time. I have bias here though, because I predicted him to be the DROY.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                I saw the game, and I'm a little confused. Why do you guys say Carpenter is so slow? He looked pretty darned fast to me, and when he was DE, he was getting doubled on a lot of plays. He looks like hes gonna be a good player given the oppurtunity, I don't get why you guys were so hard on him.

Now he obviously gets his chance, and playing against Indy, he's gonna have to really be ready for it. I think he's gonna add an element to your defense that Ellis couldn't. His speed is gonna make this defense alot better. I was surprised to see him come off the line like that, because all the reviews so far have said that he was a turtle.

Im gonna go out on a limb here, but I'll still say it. I think the sacks and pass rush from your D are going to go up with Carpenter starting. I just see an element of speed that he brings that will be difficult for olines to block. Heck, for a rook, he looked real good in his first legit playing time. I have bias here though, because I predicted him to be the DROY.
                Not everyone is down on Carpenter. Some people just don't understand how the NFL works and thinks our coaches are retarted for not drafting Colston this year. I've been a fan of Carpenter since his senior year at OSU so I'm probably biased too, but I would say the reason some fans are ragging on him is they predicted he would be a bust and will now say anything to defend their position.

Desings by D-Unit

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                  I saw the game, and I'm a little confused. Why do you guys say Carpenter is so slow? He looked pretty darned fast to me, and when he was DE, he was getting doubled on a lot of plays. He looks like hes gonna be a good player given the oppurtunity, I don't get why you guys were so hard on him.

Looks like somebody lost a bet with a Bears fan, eh? ;)

Btw, don't listen to all the Carpenter haters. I don't, and never have, thought that he looked slow. There is just a certain group of Cowboys posters that come on and want to bash him as a means of venting their frustration with the team as a whole. He hasn't done one thing either way to justify that kind of treatment, but there they are doing it anyway.

The worst thing that can be said about him is that he hasn't been soooo good that the coaches have had no choice but to get him on the field. It would take a truly special player to force his way into this lineup during the first 8 games of his rookie season. So, apparently, we can no longer expect him to be LT. Bummer deal. Besides that, I have liked everything I've seen from him in very limited play. He was coming off that edge with a vengeance in the 4th yesterday. He even got what amounts to a sack late in the game, though Leinart found a way to shovel it away as he was going down.

Bobby will be fine. I'm just as psyched about him now as I was when we drafted him. Maybe even moreso, because now we are going to get a glimpse of what he's got.
                  Originally posted by 21ST
                  He was protecting his self
                  Originally posted by tjsunstein
                  From what? His leg?
                  Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                  That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                  "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                    Originally posted by bigbluedefense

8) 8)

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                      Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                      Originally posted by bigbluedefense

8) 8)
                      :D

Sweet avatar, btw. Me and you should hook up. I invented the internet. :twisted:
                      Originally posted by 21ST
                      He was protecting his self
                      Originally posted by tjsunstein
                      From what? His leg?
                      Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                      That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                      "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Im glad we got Henry as opposed to the other DB's that were on the market at the time and i feel like he has played adeqaute. Our lack of pressure may negatively and unfairly cloud my perception of him this season though. I understand that a db can only hang with a reciever for so long, but it seems like Henry gets beat deep alot more than he should. I dont mind so much when he gives things up underneath but i feel like someitmes he plays too aggresive and that results in him getting beat deep.

If Newman can pull a nate clements job on marvin harrison that would be ideal, we need him to play physical and take marvin out of the game early. Im very worried about Henry on Wayne though, i just dont think he can stay with him. Rotating Watkins/Davis over the top to help him does nothing to sure up my concerns either. I believe that our biggest concerns in the game should be coverage on wayne and the tight ends. Dallas Clark is dangerous and Utecht has come into his own as of late. Hopefully, The speed we gain by losing ellis will be to our advantage in this game. Carpenter/Burnett/ and or Singleton really need to step up this week and play good coverage when the colts come out with a two tight end set. This should be crucial to us winning, but i still think the biggest threat will be Wayne. If Henry can play wayne better than he has been played all year then i think we have a great shot of winning. I dont really have many concerns with Newman, hes got great speed and is evenly matched with Harrison as far as size goes... Plus he hasnt given up a touch down since '04. With that being said about the DB's, Ware and whoever fills for ellis really really really need to apply some pressure for us to help out our DB's, because god knows you cannot give these recievers time.

On the other end of the ball i really like our chances. Romo is going up against a secondary that isnt on the level of either the panthers or the skins and the indy pass rush has been non-existent up to this point. The only real concern I have is Bob Sanders. Individually, i do not think he is that great, but what concerns me is the "roy williams" element he brings to their blitz shceme and run suppot. One player can make a big difference and i hope his being injured isnt the sole factor for indy's bad pass rush this season. T.O. should man handle the secondary. I hope we get glenn back but i feel like this knee problem is going to be one that is nagging the rest of the season and thats really unfortunate.

My out on a limb prediction for a great individual performance this game has to do with Julius Jones. In the past he has shown up huge in big time games. This year he hasnt really had a break out game and im thinking he doesnt do as much as he has in the past but i see him getting 120+ yards and 2 td's. We just need to get him a big run early and let him roll from there.

In summary, i believe the key to this game is Henry's play against Wayne, if we win that battle alone, i see us having a great chance at coming out on top.

Comment

• My strategy would be to have Newman go man to man with Wayne the whole game to match speed with speed and have Henry on Harrison with safety help most of the time.

I think that creates a favorable matchup from a skill set standpoint.

Desings by D-Unit

Comment

• Being a captain on this team is not a good thing.

This year we have Bledsoe and Ellis.

Last year it was Campbell and I think Nguyen.

Desings by D-Unit

Comment

• I am surprised to see no mention of the biggest matchup imo....Freeney vs. Flozell

That matchup Scares me. Flozell has so much trouble with speed rushers...we may need some backside help.

Comment

• I found an interesting stat while reading an article today.

Shutout quarters

The Cowboys' defense has shut out its opponents in 14 of 36 quarters this season, including the first and third quarters Sunday at Arizona, and has not allowed more than a field goal in 19 quarters. A game-by-game look at the Cowboys' shutout quarters:

Quarters Opponent
                                2 at Jacksonville
                                3 vs. Washington
                                1 at Tennessee
                                0 at Philadelphia
                                2 vs. Houston
                                0 vs. NY Giants
                                3 at Carolina
                                1 at Washington
                                2 at Arizona

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/16000475.htm

From this same article I also found something that stuck out. While watkins was being interviewed after the game he said this.

"Well, I didn't get beat deep, that's a start."

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information