Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dallas Cowboys Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by baghdadbob View Post
    Warner and Brees were All Pros. New Orleans picked up Vilma and Shockey. You are dismissing my points without really re-evaluating yours.

    With respect to if "we are thinking about it"... probably not b/c that is not the way the GM thinks and it reflects in the direction this team has gone under his control -- which is over pay for older guys.
    Kurt Warner was believed to be washed up and Brees wasnt Brees yet. So you're not really making any sense.

    Brees first really good season came in the same year they drafted Rivers. Then they kept Drew for one more year, before letting Rivers take over. Even that decision was made easier because of a Brees' injury. They obviously didnt view Brees as their franchise Qb, prior to drafting Rivers. He was just an average QB at the time.

    And again, Kurt was just a veteran stop-gap. Who hadnt had a good season in years.

    Thanks BoneKrusher^

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
    KO KNOWS

    Comment


    • Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
      Kurt Warner was believed to be washed up and Brees wasnt Brees yet. So you're not really making any sense.

      Brees first really good season came in the same year they drafted Rivers. Then they kept Drew for one more year, before letting Rivers take over. Even that decision was made easier because of a Brees' injury. They obviously didnt view Brees as their franchise Qb, prior to drafting Rivers. He was just an average QB at the time.

      And again, Kurt was just a veteran stop-gap. Who hadnt had a good season in years.
      Bro, I live in the East and the Manning choice was all about the future for the GMen. Feeling was he was Peyton II and the GMen were not going to pass on that possibility. So they took a risk with the trade as well as moving Warner. To boot, it has had a real cost and looked bad for awhile as River played and other picks the GMen gave up turned in Merrimen, Kaeding and some others.

      It was a gutsy move by the GMen that even today folks would say SD got the best of it.

      But, let us not argue tactics, talk big ideas, strategy. Prsonnel strategy, not specific personnel.

      Do you agree we have 4-5 big holes that in order to compete next year we need to trade depth (Witten, WR, RB, et al) for some young front line help?

      FA ain't working cuz the GM has no cash. Draft takes time for OL, ILB, S, etc......

      Your thoughts?

      Comment


      • Leopards don't change their spots & neither does Jerry.

        He is still going for the sexy household name HC:

        http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl...ory?id=5795997

        I think he is referring to the 1st 3 names on that list in the box to the right, Cowher, Gruden, & Billick. Personally I would rather keep Garrett than any of those arrogant former SB winners, emphasis there on the "former." Garrett will have to earn it like he said, that means winning some games this yr.
        Last edited by LizardState; 11-13-2010, 09:01 AM.

        Comment


        • Steve Smith, David Diehl, and Shaun O'Hara are out.

          We're still gonna love by 3 TD's+, but this game may get interesting.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by baghdadbob View Post
            Bro, I live in the East and the Manning choice was all about the future for the GMen. Feeling was he was Peyton II and the GMen were not going to pass on that possibility. So they took a risk with the trade as well as moving Warner. To boot, it has had a real cost and looked bad for awhile as River played and other picks the GMen gave up turned in Merrimen, Kaeding and some others.

            It was a gutsy move by the GMen that even today folks would say SD got the best of it.

            But, let us not argue tactics, talk big ideas, strategy. Prsonnel strategy, not specific personnel.

            Do you agree we have 4-5 big holes that in order to compete next year we need to trade depth (Witten, WR, RB, et al) for some young front line help?

            FA ain't working cuz the GM has no cash. Draft takes time for OL, ILB, S, etc......

            Your thoughts?
            uhhhhhhh. The point is...the Dallas and New York situations have nothing in common. Romo is in the prime of his career...Warner, was a veteran stop-gap, who again, sucked for several consecutive years before landing with NY. He was only going to be the QB for a year or two, before a rookie QB took over. That is not the same situation. You're failing to realize that Warner was playing horrible football and many thought he was at the tail end of his career at that point.

            Do you agree we have 4-5 big holes that in order to compete next year we need to trade depth (Witten, WR, RB, et al) for some young front line help?
            Errrr. No. I dont know what league you're watching, but these trades dont happen. Not when we're talking about moving Witten, Romo, or Miles. jeez. No one knows what exactly will happen with the labor agreements or how much money will be available for Jerry. That said, we can sure cut a lot of dead weight/dead money this upcoming season. Namely Leonard Davis/Marion Barber, among others. We need to address o-line through the draft, and early. Its been neglected. We need a youth movement along the line. We need youth and athleticism. And teams dont just trade good O-lineman, for anyone. We'll have to tackle that via the draft and FA. Player for player deals dont happen often. At best, you'll get picks...and that still wont come by trading Miles, Romo, or Witten. They're not going anywhere, again...this isnt Madden. And those are three of our most indispensable players.

            And if you want to win...you'd have a much better shot at that with Romo and a revamped line...rather than a rookie QB and no Miles Austin or Witten.

            Yes, we have holes to fill...but these moves you're talking about can have HUGE adverse effects and are in no way realistic possibilities to begin with. But anyway, QB is the least of our worries at this point. Our biggest needs are by far O-Line and the secondary. And these certainly could be sured up through the draft, FA, and with schematic changes brought fourth by a new coaching staff.
            Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 11-12-2010, 05:25 PM.

            Thanks BoneKrusher^

            http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
            KO KNOWS

            Comment


            • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
              If I believed what you just said, I'd think there's no way NFL teams will ever draft another QB bust in the first round. lol. Oh no. I don't believe that for a second. Look how they loved Locker last year and this season he looks like crap.

              I don't think we'll be picking #1 overall, and I'll stick to that. I think this conversation will be funny at the end of the season. But ok. Let's say we are picking #1. If that's the case, then I would suggest trading down.

              There will be a time for us to address QB, and when that time comes, we'll use our first rounder then. It won't be for at least another 5 years. Even you agreed that Romo's window is that long.
              Definitely not naive enough to think there won't be another bust...just saying since Russell we haven't seen one...you could also argue that we are "due" for a bust but that argument also lacks substance.

              I'm not saying Luck can't bust...I'm just saying it's a safe bet that he'll be a good player in this league. And the fact that he is 10 years younger gives us a bigger opportunity for victory.
              The #1 pick's history that was used on QB's are relatively safe if you look back at the history. So I think calling Luck as safe hit to work out has substance.

              Locker had a ton of hype..but if you remember there was a ton of flack going towards McShay for hyping him up....the scouts that actually matter on draft day weren't the ones touting him...it was a media driven hype.

              I also don't think we'll have the #1 pick...but if the rumors that the locker room doesn't like Garrett is true...and he can't get them on board...we could easily see this team not show up on the field...at this point it's up to the players...if we have the effort we've had the last 2 weeks we won't win a game...you just don't get by on talent at this level. This game is huge because it will show if the players are on board or not.

              I'd also prefer to trade down if we had the first pick in the draft. However that said if you can't find the trade partner I think you'd still be better off going with luck although Peterson would definitely warrant the selection if he truly does grade out as elite like most people think.

              I'm not a big advocate on getting rid of Romo I don't think he is the problem...but I can see where drafting luck would make some sense to some people.

              That said trading Austin fresh of a new contract is one of the moronic things i've ever heard.

              Comment


              • I couldnt imagine us going 1-15, even as bad we are. That said, I dont expect Garrett to reel off 4 additional wins either.

                Thanks BoneKrusher^

                http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                KO KNOWS

                Comment


                • We are either going to see a focused team or we aren't...I think we'll have a much better gauge at what to look for after our game on sunday. Until then it's such a crap shoot.

                  Comment


                  • Bob's back Bro...LMAO




                    The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

                    Comment


                    • There isnt much to be excited about...I just hope Bowen beasts. His bull rush is ridiculous.

                      Bryan Mccann gives me something else to be excited about, I guess...he's a pretty flashy kick return guy.

                      Thanks BoneKrusher^

                      http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                      http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                      KO KNOWS

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by thule View Post
                        Definitely ........ I'd also prefer to trade down if we had the first pick in the draft. However that said if you can't find the trade partner I think you'd still be better off going with luck although Peterson would definitely warrant the selection if he truly does grade out as elite like most people think. I'm not a big advocate on getting rid of Romo I don't think he is the problem...but I can see where drafting luck would make some sense to some people. That said trading Austin fresh of a new contract is one of the moronic things i've ever heard.
                        Well, this to me is exactly what the issue is with Jerry Jones and much of the fan base ..... everyone has "sacred cow" players.

                        To me, at 1-7 with the holes we have in some spots and over flow talent in others -- it is all about improving the roster and on-field product. If that means trading a star -- so be it. This is not about Tony or Miles and any other player we may like -- it is about the Cowboys.

                        So sitting around saying "him yes but him no" -- to me -- is moronic given the situation. It all depends on what the market values the player at and what that value gets you back.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by baghdadbob View Post
                          Well, this to me is exactly what the issue is with Jerry Jones and much of the fan base ..... everyone has "sacred cow" players.

                          To me, at 1-7 with the holes we have in some spots and over flow talent in others -- it is all about improving the roster and on-field product. If that means trading a star -- so be it. This is not about Tony or Miles and any other player we may like -- it is about the Cowboys.
                          I'm not sure how this was meant to be directed at me I just want to stand behind what I said.

                          You don't trade players you just invested 45million into. You don't cut a guy who has 18 million in guaranteed money. I don't care who you are it doesn't happen.

                          Same reason why neither Roy Williams was cut when they weren't performing...cap prohibits these things most of the time...but cap or not...you don't pay players to play for other teams unless they are cancerous....no way can you paint Austin as a problem off the field.

                          Comment


                          • Has Bob soured on Miles already?

                            Trading Miles Austin? That's like the anti-Bob. haha.

                            Thanks BoneKrusher^

                            http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                            http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                            KO KNOWS

                            Comment


                            • This is not madden. Like MOTH said, those trades don't happen. Your talking about trading multiple players to other team and trying it get better value in return. this isn't madden. The only trades that will happen are maybe 4th or 5th rounder type for Roy/Barber.

                              This team needs to address atleast 1 o-lineman in FA, take peterson or amukamara with or pick, then o-lineman again after that.

                              There is no other plan that makes as much sense.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                                Has Bob soured on Miles already?

                                Trading Miles Austin? That's like the anti-Bob. haha.
                                No, he just wants it to happen so he can say how stupid "Jerrah" is again!




                                The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information