This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
    Just came in from watering the yd limping on my sprained ankle (Mothman: I feel your pain) turned the channel & saw it, 33-20 Dallas wins! OMFG!

Sometimes a new deal with a fresh deck is just what's needed! Wow! So Sorry I missed the game, now the ankle doesnt hurt as much (he said 2 shots of Crown Royal later :--D )

Whooooooo! Dallas is back!! WTF happened to the #1 ranked NFL team, no excuses, beee-yotch, they're at home.

Is this the difference between drafting in the top 3 & the top 5?? Will Garrett "earn the job" in 2011 as Jerry said? Stay tuned.

Someone pls explain this to me, going to watch the highlight footage now -- this was a great weekend for all my teams, Bama won handily over Miss. St., 9ers win in OT from the Sheep on a Nedney FG, & Dallas dominates the baddest of the bad in the NFL.

Could it be -- (giggling incoherently now) tee-hee -- that the G-Men took us too lightly, kinda overlooked the team with the coaching chg? If Wade was there you know they would've blamed the power outage on Dallas stinking the plc up.

7 INTs this yr: 5 OF THEM FROM ELI!!!!!!

Not gonna yard sale that sweatshirt with the blue star after all.....again I say fellow Dallas Cowboys fans, Wooooooooooo!!! Big-ass woot!!

Congrats to Jason Garrett & the Cowboys, they won on the road & looked like a FB team again.
    lol...how did you sprain your ankle? Mine is still the size of a softball. :( Last time I sprained it, it stayed swollen for months and looks like the same deal this time around. I'm going to be so screwed one of these days.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
    KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by baghdadbob View Post
      Not in the playoffs.
      Selective memory?

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
        Selective memory?
        Your wrote "recent years" -- recent ain't nearly two decades ago. Anyway, I can not believe their are individuals who still go to bat for Jerry Jones .... so I will join the group amnesia ............ Yes, Jerry Jones is a great GM. All the great talent on this team is b/c of Jerry Jones. Jerry is the reason 92/93/95 happened.

Al Davis is also great. Heck, he went to a SB in the last Decade. Look at all the talent on the Raiders.
        Last edited by baghdadbob; 11-14-2010, 09:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
          Jerry vs. Parcell's One man's take...

It’s becoming increasingly popular among media types to rant about the Cowboys’ lack of talent. This team didn’t under-perform, they claim, they just were never that good.
          These are the same “experts” who labeled Dallas as the league’s most talented team in the preseason. You show me someone who claims they didn’t think the ‘Boys were at least a top five team in terms of talent during the preseason, and I’ll show you a liar. It’s always amazing how one’s views transform after the fact.
          Jones’ detractors claim he’s never won anything without a strong head coach. The winning culture of the Dallas Cowboys, some argue, deteriorated after the losses of both Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells. I’ll concede that Jones did an awful job as G.M. in the time frame after Jimmy’s departure and before Parcells’ arrival. That time was marred with early-round draft picks like David LaFleur, Ebenezer Ekuban, Dwayne Goodrich, and Quincy Carter.
          Since Parcells’ reign in Big D, though, Jones has compiled a group of extremely talented football players. And since you know I’m all about statistics, let’s play a little game. I’ll label each pick during the Parcells era (2003-2006) and every pick since as a “hit” or “miss.” Since early picks are of course more important than later ones, we’ll use an inverse scale of scoring: a first-round hit is worth seven points, a second-round hit is worth six points, and so on. Similarly, a first-round miss is worth -7 points, a second-round miss is worth -6 points. . .you get the idea.
          The second number behind each “hit” is a score from 1-10 of that player’s worth, regardless of the round in which they were drafted. I will use these numbers later.
          Bill Parcells Era
          Terence Newman- Hit (7) 9
          Al Johnson- Miss (-6)
          Jason Witten- Hit (5) 9
          Bradie James- Hit (4) 6
          B.J. Tucker- Miss (-2)
          Zuriel Smith- Miss (-2)
          Justin Bates- Miss (-1)
          Total Draft: 5 points (B+)
          Really good draft that provided Dallas with three major components of their current roster.
          Julius Jones- Miss (-6)
          Jacob Rogers- Miss (-6)
          Stephen Peterman- Miss (-5)
          Bruce Thornton- Miss (-4)
          Sean Ryan- Miss (-3)
          Nathan Jones- Miss (-1)
          Patrick Crayton- Hit (1) 5
          Jacques Reeves- Hit (1) 2
          Total Draft: -23 points (D)
          This is the exact sort of draft that is dismissed under Parcells but for which Jerry would be crucified.
          DeMarcus Ware- Hit (7) 10
          Marcus Spears- Hit/Miss (0)
          Kevin Burnett- Miss (-6)
          Marion Barber III- Hit (4) 5
          Chris Canty- Hit (4) 3
          Justin Beriault- Miss (-2)
          Rob Petitti- Miss (-2)
          Jay Ratliff- Hit (1) 9
          Total Draft: 6 points (A)
          The best draft under Parcells by far. You could argue Spears is either a hit/miss, so I effectively negated him.
          Bobby Carpenter- Miss (-7)
          Anthony Fasano- Hit/Miss (0)
          Jason Hatcher- Hit/Miss (0)
          Skyler Green- Miss (-4)
          Patrick Watkins- Miss (-3)
          Montavious Stanley- Miss (-2)
          Pat McQuistan- Miss (-1)
          E.J. Whitley- Miss (-1)
          Total Draft: -18 (D-)
          Another horrible draft under Parcells which people tend to forget.
          Jerry Jones Era
          Anthony Spencer- Hit (7) 8
          James Marten- Miss (-5)
          Isaiah Stanback- Miss (-4)
          Doug Free- Hit (4) 8
          Nick Folk- Hit/Miss (0)
          Deon Anderson- Hit (2) 4
          Courtney Brown- Miss (-1)
          Alan Ball- Hit (1) 2
          Total Draft: 4 points (B-)
          Spencer and Free are major cogs for the future, and Deon Anderson and Alan Ball are hits due to draft spot.
          Felix Jones- Hit/Miss (0)
          Mike Jenkins- Hit (7) 7
          Martellus Bennett- Hit (6) 4
          Tashard Choice- Hit (4) 3
          Orlando Scandrick- Hit (3) 3
          Erik Walden- Miss (-2)
          Total Draft: 18 points (A-)
          I know it is easy to dismiss some of these players now, but we would have considered everyone except Walden a ‘hit’ in the preseason.
          Jason Williams- Miss (-5)
          Robert Brewster- Miss (-5)
          Stephen McGee- Miss (-4)
          Victor Butler- Hit (4) 3
          Brandon Williams- Miss (-4)
          DeAngelo Smith- Miss (-3)
          Michael Hamlin- Miss (-3)
          David Buehler- Hit/Miss (0)
          Stephen Hodge- Miss (-2)
          John Phillips- Hit (2) 3
          Mike Mickens- Miss (-1)
          Manuel Johnson- Miss (-1)
          Total Draft: -22 points (D-)
          Absolutely horrid draft, although I could have given Stephen McGee and Brandon Williams “0″ grades.
          Dez Bryant- Hit (7) 8
          Sean Lee- Miss (-6)
          Akwasi Owusu-Ansah- ?
          Sam Young- Hit (2) 1
          Jamar Wall- Miss (-2)
          Sean Lissemore- ?
          Total Draft: 1 point (C+)
          I realize it is too early to truly grade this draft, so these grades are speculative. I think we all know Dez Bryant is a ‘hit’ though.
          Bill Parcells Four-Year Total: -30 points (-0.97 points per pick)
          9/31 hits
          Jerry Jones Four-Year Total: 1 point (0.03 points per pick)
          12/32 hits
          Now, clearly there are limitations to this little study. It may be a poor method to grade players as a “hit” or “miss.” Certainly DeMarcus Ware is more of a “hit” than Marion Barber, so he should be graded as such.
          In an effort to account for this, I have provided each hit with a grade of 1-10, regardless of the round in which they were drafted. I kept the miss grades steady, as a miss in the first-round is surely more costly than a later one.
          When we add up these new scores, the Parcells Era receives 24 more points, bringing his total to -6 points. That is -0.19 points per pick. The Jerry Jones Era receives five extra points, bringing his total to 6 points (0.19 points per pick).
          No matter how you score it, Jerry has been superior in drafting in the four years since Parcells left as compared to the four years during Parcells’ stay in Big D.
          Of course, Jerry Jones isn’t immune from criticism. I think it is valid to argue that, although the Cowboys are talented, the organization had no overarching vision. The Cowboys may just be a group of talented football players, not a team. Great teams aren’t simply a collection of the best players, but rather a cohesive group of men who work well together.
          So have the 2010 version of the Dallas Cowboys suffered due to a lack of cohesion, or a lack of proper coaching? Either way, no matter what you might hear, it isn’t due to a lack of talent. A general manager’s job duties include assembling a core of talented players and finding the right coaches to lead those players. If Jerry Jones finds a way to accomplish the latter, you can bet this Cowboys team has the talent to quickly return to being a Championship contender.

http://dallascowboystimes.com/2010/1...allas-cowboys/
          Parcells sucks. None of the talent on this team is a result of his work. Everyone knows Jerry is the reason every guy that worked out was Jerry's guy and every guy that failed is BP's guy .... unless it is Ireland or Wade.

Line up the bodies for "under-the-bus" detail. Mr Jones needs his reputation restored after this season.

Watch JG do well and see Jerry take all the credit. So much faith in Jason! It was his plan all along to give the job to JG! It was like cutting TO for Austin. HE KNEW IT ALL ALONG!!!!!

Jerry Jones is going to the HOF as a GM of Football Operations. Gotta get those tickets to Canton.

Comment

Parcells sucks. None of the talent on this team is a result of his work. Everyone knows Jerry is the reason every guy that worked out was Jerry's guy and every guy that failed is BP's guy .... unless it is Ireland or Wade.

Line up the bodies for "under-the-bus" detail. Mr Jones needs his reputation restored after this season.

Watch JG do well and see Jerry take all the credit. So much faith in Jason! It was his plan all along to give the job to JG! It was like cutting TO for Austin. HE KNEW IT ALL ALONG!!!!!

Jerry Jones is going to the HOF as a GM of Football Operations. Gotta get those tickets to Canton.
            Didnt take long for the real Bob to show back up lol. How long will it last this time?

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
              Didnt take long for the real Bob to show back up lol. How long will it last this time?
              Seriously, Parcells is horrible. It is his fault we are 2-7. His horrid drafts.

Comment

Seriously, Parcells is horrible. It is his fault we are 2-7. His horrid drafts.
                LOL.........

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• Today was really fun. I totally expected another Cowboys blowout, but I'm glad they played with some fire for once. Also beating one of my most hated teams is a joy to watch too. Considering how well the Giants have played this year, the win was really big. How much impact Garrett being coach has on the team is yet to be seen long term, but there were some good things that came out of this game.

I really like Bryan McCann. He's probably not going to become a Pro Bowler corner, but he's a solid dime option and kick returner. He offers good depth. He also didn't seem to lose his head when he had to play more because of injury.

Bowen looked good as well. I know he's a good rotational guy, but this is his chance to show that he can be a starter. So far so good for him. I hope he keeps up the good work.

Dez is Dez. Every game he gets closer and closer to being an elite receiver. Within the next three years he'll be one of the best, if not the best. Looking at Nicks on the other side means that there will be some serious NFC East battles for years with those two guys. Barring injury, the NFC East could have two of the top 5 receivers in the game for a long time. That's not even considering Miles, Manningham, and Smith. Get ready for more shootouts in Cowboy-Giant games.
                  "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                  ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

• McCann may help in the future. Forgot about him.

Comment

• Great game! It's cool to win again, I forgot how it feels like! We played a very good game and I like Jason Garrett's fire. Players didn't give up yesterday, the played better, way bettere. Jenkins wasn't getting abused, the O-line was solid, the whole team played a nice game against one of the hottest team in football right now.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

Your wrote "recent years" -- recent ain't nearly two decades ago. Anyway, I can not believe their are individuals who still go to bat for Jerry Jones .... so I will join the group amnesia ............ Yes, Jerry Jones is a great GM. All the great talent on this team is b/c of Jerry Jones. Jerry is the reason 92/93/95 happened.

Al Davis is also great. Heck, he went to a SB in the last Decade. Look at all the talent on the Raiders.
                        My point of view is that Jerry does good, and Jerry does bad. He should get credited for all the success and credited for all the failure. Most people, like you seem to only see the failure. Which is fine. But if you're ONLY going to say success is winning a SB and nothing else should count for success, then how many GMs have 1 SB ring? How about 2? How about 3?

Look, I hate that we haven't won a SB since the 90s, but it's not like the only feeling around here has been doom and gloom ever since. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. When the forum hears Cowboys fans complain about losing, they often comment about how spoiled Cowboys fans always are.

I blasted Jerry for the 2009 draft. I didn't even give that class a chance. A lot of members remember me dogging them before they even played a down. Well, I was being up and up about criticizing Jerry then. It's not like the only thing I do is applaud him. When he does bad, I make note. When he does good, I make note. Yay Dez! :D

If you intend on posting here a lot, you should give us more credit than to blast your unwarranted sarcasm around here. Otherwise, you'll get the same treatment back... and I'm pretty sure you won't last long posting here.

That said... welcome bagdadbob. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by CDCB14 View Post
                          McCann may help in the future. Forgot about him.
                          Should have never cut him...that said, he was getting his ass beat in coverage several times. But I do like him as a future 4th corner and ST guy.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                          http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                          KO KNOWS

Comment

• Congrats Gents! That was an impressive display of ownage and energy! Go JG! Go JG!

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                              My point of view is that Jerry does good, and Jerry does bad. He should get credited for all the success and credited for all the failure. Most people, like you seem to only see the failure. Which is fine. But if you're ONLY going to say success is winning a SB and nothing else should count for success, then how many GMs have 1 SB ring? How about 2? How about 3?

Look, I hate that we haven't won a SB since the 90s, but it's not like the only feeling around here has been doom and gloom ever since. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. When the forum hears Cowboys fans complain about losing, they often comment about how spoiled Cowboys fans always are.

I blasted Jerry for the 2009 draft. I didn't even give that class a chance. A lot of members remember me dogging them before they even played a down. Well, I was being up and up about criticizing Jerry then. It's not like the only thing I do is applaud him. When he does bad, I make note. When he does good, I make note. Yay Dez! :D

If you intend on posting here a lot, you should give us more credit than to blast your unwarranted sarcasm around here. Otherwise, you'll get the same treatment back... and I'm pretty sure you won't last long posting here.

That said... welcome bagdadbob. :)
                              Of course he does good and bad, but mostly bad as GM.

I think he tries to over-think things at times which leads to 2009 draft, Felix/Martellus draft and its trades, using early 90s logic to refusing to drafting top tier OL, reaching for players no one has rated that highly (Stanback, Brewster, Folk, J Williams, etc) .........

I think his other problem is he falls in love with brand name players and lavishes monster contracts on them or gives up premium draft picks. Williams, Galloway ...... MBIII, Bradie, Bigg ......

And in the end players feel they report to him and not the coach. Unfortunately, the coach is the one who knows the real players. And when the GM does it -- it becomes a problem.

This season, our record, is not a mistake. It is a direct by-product of Jerry Jones management style.

Parcells screaming and yelling is why his teams played tight but disciplined. Parcells love affair with Big Name schools is why we drafted Carp and Fasano. Parcells putting the best player on the field regardless of name or contract is why we have Romo, Witten and Ratliff also.

Both are true and undeniable in my opinion.

Comment

Of course he does good and bad, but mostly bad as GM.

I think he tries to over-think things at times which leads to 2009 draft, Felix/Martellus draft and its trades, using early 90s logic to refusing to drafting top tier OL, reaching for players no one has rated that highly (Stanback, Brewster, Folk, J Williams, etc) .........

I think his other problem is he falls in love with brand name players and lavishes monster contracts on them or gives up premium draft picks. Williams, Galloway ...... MBIII, Bradie, Bigg ......

And in the end players feel they report to him and not the coach. Unfortunately, the coach is the one who knows the real players. And when the GM does it -- it becomes a problem.

This season, our record, is not a mistake. It is a direct by-product of Jerry Jones management style.

Parcells screaming and yelling is why his teams played tight but disciplined. Parcells love affair with Big Name schools is why we drafted Carp and Fasano. Parcells putting the best player on the field regardless of name or contract is why we have Romo, Witten and Ratliff also.

Both are true and undeniable in my opinion.
                                Disciplined? You do realize we were still among the worst in the league in penalties right?... Just because he yells doesn't mean he stirs discipline. You mentioned Carp and Fasano. They did a lot of good for the Cowboys as well... I'm not saying Parcells wasn't good for the Cowboys but please god don't portray him as a guru. Romo was giving the starting nod after Bledsoe couldn't escape the pressure and was throwing INTs and getting sacked like his name was David Carr. Romo was 'discovered' and brought to the Cowboys by Sean Payton NOT BP. BP was all about another young prospect (Drew Henson).

For all the positive picks you mentioned there are always the Jacob Rogers, Al Johnson, Stephen Peterman, and Skyler Greens and his crown jewel Bobby Carpenter of the draft era. He was far from perfect and to credit him with the positives and only Jerry with the negatives is laughable.
                                Originally posted by D-Unit
                                I have no clue what Bortles is all about. Has a funny name though. Sounds like a Pokemon.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information