Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I generally don't like that attitude. I don't care if it would cost my team the #1 pick... I'd want to beat Dallas every time out...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
      I generally don't like that attitude. I don't care if it would cost my team the #1 pick... I'd want to beat Dallas every time out...
      I wanted to win too, but at the same token with us out I'm rooting for Philly to win the division and for Vick to do well. I hate the Giants, it's hard for me to hate the Eagles with Vick. I wanted to win every game since Garrett has taken over, woulda been interesting if we still had 6 losses.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
        Yeah, play him at DE. It would be moronic to play Ware at SAM in a 43.

I think he can handle the punishment. Like I said, if he was 245 lbs, then it would beat him up. But the dude is a monster, he's bigger than a lot of 43 DEs that play DE full time. I have full confidence that he can make the switch and still succeed.

The fear of change and what it would lead to is the only reason I see why switching to the 4-3 would be so worrisome. When I evaluate their front 7, I see a switch to a 4-3 as being beneficial to most of their front 7 players. They'd actually play better in that front imo.

And let's not forget, Wade played a 1 gap 34 that pretty much was a 43 front anyway. Wade's defense was a 4-3 Under masquerading as a 34 defense.
        I can see how a switch to the 4-3 would benefit us. Especially with our reluctance to replace Ratliff at NT. It pisses me off so badly. He's a crappy NT. Pure crap. He's so overrated it ain't even funny anymore. I don't wanna hear anything about how good he is, because it's just not true. Also, addressing DT early in the draft makes a lot more sense for 4-3 teams than 3-4 teams, imo. Spencer would probably make for a much better 4-3 DE than 3-4 OLB and Ware is super versatile, so I wouldn't project any problems for him. The main thing is having the right DC for it. Because I think finding 4-3 LBs is dirty easy compared to finding 3-4 LBs.

At the same time, keeping the 3-4 is something I would like to try to keep if we can find the right DC. Pasq isn't the answer. I would also like to properly address NT and move Ratliff to DE; if there's any resistance, then trade him.

Sounds like the easier thing to do at this point is move to the 4-3. I'm for either. Not strongly sided on either side. Just want the right personnel moves to be made and addressed. Not having a big NT has been the #1 biggest problem with this defense and I hate how people say Ratliff isn't the problem. Sure he is. He was the main reason why we didn't stop McCoy at the end of the game. He doesn't do his job as a 3-4 NT.

Comment

• Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
          I generally don't like that attitude. I don't care if it would cost my team the #1 pick... I'd want to beat Dallas every time out...
          People don't like it because it takes the "brain" aka logic, away from the "heart" aka emotion out of the game.

It may not feel good but it damn sure is better for the future improvement of the team.

Comment

• I hear what you're saying, but it is a fan board. Figured you'd be more irrational fan-boy like. haha

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• How long have you felt that Ratliff has been a crap NT D?

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                How long have you felt that Ratliff has been a crap NT D?
                I'd like to see what other think on this, but when's the last time we had a defense that teams couldn't run on? I just don't like the 1-Gap scheme we currently have. Look at the great 3-4 Defenses and who they have in the middle, Wilfork, Hampton, Ngata/Gregg, Jenkins(when healthy), Rogers. I mean, I can't think of any other 3-4 team that has a 295 pound Nose Tackle, it's like inviting teams to run down our throats. If this is a copy cat league we certainly didn't get the memo that you need a big bodied NT who can take on double teams to run an effective 3-4.

EDIT: I also love Ratliff and the effort he gives, but I think he's best suited as a situational pass rusher. It's so obvious he gets worn down in games, he just isn't big enough to handle the constant double teams. Think about how effective he would be if he was fresh coming in on 3rd downs to get after the passer? We need to find a new starting NT. We could have a rotation at End with Rat, Hatch, and Bowen and have Josh Brent rotate at nose with (enter true NT FA pickup here).
                Last edited by TheFinisher; 12-13-2010, 02:03 PM.
                Cowboys Mock:
                1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
                2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
                3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

Comment

• Originally posted by TheFinisher View Post
                  I'd like to see what other think on this, but when's the last time we had a defense that teams couldn't run on? I just don't like the 1-Gap scheme we currently have. Look at the great 3-4 Defenses and who they have in the middle, Wilfork, Hampton, Ngata/Gregg, Jenkins(when healthy), Rogers. I mean, I can't think of any other 3-4 team that has a 295 pound Nose Tackle, it's like inviting teams to run down our throats. If this is a copy cat league we certainly didn't get the memo that you need a big bodied NT who can take on double teams to run an effective 3-4.
                  That's because of your system. If you switch to a two gap, then you give us Jay R. I would love for him to be our 3T.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
                    That's because of your system. If you switch to a two gap, then you give us Jay R. I would love for him to be our 3T.
                    yea i meant i have more of a problem with the system than ratliff.
                    Cowboys Mock:
                    1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
                    2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
                    3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

Comment

How long have you felt that Ratliff has been a crap NT D?
                      EVERY YEAR since we moved to the 3-4, I've been scouting NT prospects. Every year. How many times have we had the discussion about having Rat move to DE? Every season!

Don't get me wrong, he's an excellent football player. He's just playing out of position. We don't need our NT to be the main penetrator along the DL. That's what he loves to do, and that's what he gets popular for, but that's not your typical NT responsibility. His inability to hold the point of attack, command a double team, makes everyone else around him work all that much harder. Whenever the Cowboys are having run stuffing issues, majority of the time, it's going back to him at the source.

I just think he likes going up against Centers and Guards versus Guards and Tackles because he finds it easier to penetrate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
                        I hate how people say this because I don't think it's true...not for NT. Wade had big ole Jammal Williams at NT in San Diego. Look at the other NTs we tried to bring in... Siavii, Brent, Montavious Stanley, even our UDFAs were all true BIGs. Wade tried to move Rat to DE in training camp years ago, but Rat acted like a baby and threw a fit about it. Bottom line is Ratliff overpowered Wade's desire to move him to DE.. and Wade had no balls to make him move and thus... our 3-4 defense has NEVER reached it's full potential.

Comment

• While a Ware-Ratliff-??-Spencer 4-3 front sounds intimidating with how much our defense sucks I wouldn't want to throw away what we've done to make the 3-4 work. We've given up an average of 26.8 PPG since Garrett took over the head coaching job. Almost an average of 27 points per game. To me that while a new head coach/defense coordinator would change things we are still years away from a super bowl appearance.

Sorry I got nothing else to say except that IMO we got one of the worst defenses in the league.

Comment

it doesn't make you a ***** to ask for an autograph and it happens every year.
                            Yeah, it really does. Tashard is a *****. I don't care if it was for his three year old cousin.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                              EVERY YEAR since we moved to the 3-4, I've been scouting NT prospects. Every year. How many times have we had the discussion about having Rat move to DE? Every season!

Don't get me wrong, he's an excellent football player. He's just playing out of position. We don't need our NT to be the main penetrator along the DL. That's what he loves to do, and that's what he gets popular for, but that's not your typical NT responsibility. His inability to hold the point of attack, command a double team, makes everyone else around him work all that much harder. Whenever the Cowboys are having run stuffing issues, majority of the time, it's going back to him at the source.

I just think he likes going up against Centers and Guards versus Guards and Tackles because he finds it easier to penetrate.
                              Josh. Brent.

Forget Allen Iverson, he's the answer.

Comment

• Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                                Yeah, it really does. Tashard is a *****. I don't care if it was for his three year old cousin.
                                Why does it make you mad? Who cares?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information