Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dallas Cowboys Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
    Another reason why Garrett being hired is a good thing is because the playbook remains the same. Hopefully, it can continue to expand. I heard a good comment by Colin Cowherd on the radio on the way to work today about this. Said Tom Brady is able to be successful because Belichick is able to open up the entire playbook. I know that is common sense, but I think that goes overlooked many times. When you're able to use more plays in different situations, then your advantage over your opponent is that much greater.

    With that in mind, Garrett imo, HAS TO give up the play calling to a full time OC who shares the same system. That all points to his brother.
    That's the thing though. When you install week to week you're going into detail and practicing those plays. For example, in training camp is when you install new concepts and review old ones. However, you may not use certain things throughout the year.

    So the entire playbook thing is relative in a way. You don't have to learn all 300-700 pages in one go. When you install week to week, you will have to learn it then, and than get to rep it. I am sure players go over and read it, but you can always learn it and master it when it's installed against that particular opponent.

    I'd expect his brother to get promoted soon. I even wonder, if Judd Garrett gets moved up. Move John to OC, and Judd as a TE coach. Now you add another brother into the fold.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
      That's the thing though. When you install week to week you're going into detail and practicing those plays. For example, in training camp is when you install new concepts and review old ones. However, you may not use certain things throughout the year.

      So the entire playbook thing is relative in a way. You don't have to learn all 300-700 pages in one go. When you install week to week, you will have to learn it then, and than get to rep it. I am sure players go over and read it, but you can always learn it and master it when it's installed against that particular opponent.

      I'd expect his brother to get promoted soon. I even wonder, if Judd Garrett gets moved up. Move John to OC, and Judd as a TE coach. Now you add another brother into the fold.
      Oh I didn't mean to intend that the entire playbook could all be used in one game. Mainly that the change over wouldn't be so dramatic as it would with a new system and that continuity... but yeah, I guess the whole idea of greater expansion of the playbook is relative when you install different plays week to week.

      Comment


      • Todd Bowles came in for an interview yesterday, I wouldn't doubt if it's for the DC position. He was here under Parcells from 05-07 as a DB coach, so he has ties to the organization. Parcells is supposedly very high on the guy and that's always a good thing. Say what you want about Parcells but he has a great eye for coaching talent. Bowles was the runner up for the Lions HC job that Schwartz eventually got. Also had interviews for the HC vacancies with the Rams and Broncos so this isn't just a JJ or JG project, Bowles is thought highly of around the league.

        I guess my intitial response is I would perfer a more proven DC like Romeo Crennel, Capers, Rob Ryan, or even Mike Nolan to fix this defense. Bowles could be great, but like Garrett, it's more of a question mark than anything else due to the inexperience. I'm OK with that as long as we're right lol. He supposedly is a high energy, attention to detail type of guy (Like Garrett) which is what we need on this staff.

        Thoughts?

        EDIT: I also wonder what type of 3-4 defense he would run?
        Last edited by TheFinisher; 01-05-2011, 10:58 AM.
        Cowboys Mock:
        1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
        2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
        3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

        Comment


        • I wonder if Rob Ryan is an option to come here for our DC spot, he'd be right up there with anyone else. Bowles I don't know much about other then what you posted so thanks for that, he seems like someone I can get with. I still would like someone with a better track record, Garrett is gonna be handling the offense we need a strong figure to control the D because it's all his.





          Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
            I wonder if Rob Ryan is an option to come here for our DC spot, he'd be right up there with anyone else. Bowles I don't know much about other then what you posted so thanks for that, he seems like someone I can get with. I still would like someone with a better track record, Garrett is gonna be handling the offense we need a strong figure to control the D because it's all his.
            I certainly hope so. He's the main guy I want for defensive coordinator right now. Every place he has been the defenses played well, even when the talent wasn't as good. He really could be a head coaching candidate since Rex is having success in NY, but if for some reason he's not hired as an HC I'd be extremely ecstatic to see him here. The Dallas D could really use a guy who is aggressive but also intelligent in mixing things up to confuse offenses.
            "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
            ~Nigerian Proverb

            Da riddum is too much for you.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

            Comment


            • Rob Ryan or Eric Mangini. Both are available now. We need to approach them asap.

              Comment


              • Also, that might bring in Eric Wright, which would be a FA signing I would love. Similar to Jenkins, young stud but had an off year. But, eric wright isn't going to be your 4th corner.. So do you trade one of the other 3, or cut Newman?

                Or just go into camp with all 4?

                Comment


                • Well it doesn't look like Nolan will be fired, Miami was attached to him even in pursuing Cowher. Capers may stick, depends how they show up this weekend I guess. Rob Ryan is probably #1 for me, not the biggest Mangini fan but I would have said the same about Crennel last year and look at the job he's done so far.


                  1 thing that I really love about Ryan's scheme is that it's exotic, and aggressive, two things that sold me with Wade over Parcells. I think he could bring that chaos here with some stuff mixed in from Buddy and Rex, and he'd have a hell of a pass-rusher to work around in Ware.



                  I'm interested in seeing when we start taking action.





                  Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

                  Comment


                  • I should be talking or meeting with old man Garrett. If I do, I will ask him what he thinks the Cowboys will do. The guy is a master talent evaluator, who has binders and binders saved of his grades. If there are any specific players you guys want to hear grades or opinions on let me know. Mind you this is someone from the industry, not a "expert" from a website or espn type. So I can ask some of his opinions on what the cowboys might do if I get to talk to him or go over his house.

                    Comment


                    • Per DMN-(talking about who Garrett might be looking at to bring in as DC)

                      Jean-Jacques Taylor: "It looks like he’s giving strong consideration to Todd Bowles, the assistant head coach and secondary coach in Miami. That would make sense because they worked together in Dallas, and they’re the same sort of person. They’re both kind of quiet guys who demand respect without belittling players. Bowles, who played in the league, is the kind of guy who commands respect with few words and with just a stare, if necessary. The players swore by him when he was the secondary coach under Bill Parcells, because he was such a good teacher. Bradie James used to attend his secondary meetings to get a better understanding of how to be better in coverage. DeMarcus Ware swore by him for the same reasons. As word has trickled out that Bowles might get the job, the players have already started getting excited. Bowles is also a taskmaster when it comes to technique. He demands perfect technique because he believes that doing so puts players in position to make plays much more frequently than poor technique. Hiring Bowles would be an outstanding move for the Cowboys and one that would reap immediate benefits next season."

                      EDIT: Here's another link from Calvin Watkins about what type of relationship Bowles has with the players and what type of scheme he would run.

                      http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...d-bowles-is-in
                      Last edited by TheFinisher; 01-05-2011, 03:29 PM.
                      Cowboys Mock:
                      1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
                      2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
                      3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
                        I should be talking or meeting with old man Garrett. If I do, I will ask him what he thinks the Cowboys will do. The guy is a master talent evaluator, who has binders and binders saved of his grades. If there are any specific players you guys want to hear grades or opinions on let me know. Mind you this is someone from the industry, not a "expert" from a website or espn type. So I can ask some of his opinions on what the cowboys might do if I get to talk to him or go over his house.
                        That would be awesome.
                        Last edited by TheFinisher; 01-05-2011, 03:17 PM.
                        Cowboys Mock:
                        1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
                        2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
                        3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

                        Comment


                        • If Bowles is the guy at DC I'm cool with it. I really like Rob Ryan like I mentioned before, but Bowles has been talked about well for a while now. I remember people saying that he's got a future at defensive coordinator or even HC when he was here because he's worked under a lot of guys. For all we know he could be the next great assistant coach. I definitely wouldn't knock the decision.
                          "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                          ~Nigerian Proverb

                          Da riddum is too much for you.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
                            I should be talking or meeting with old man Garrett. If I do, I will ask him what he thinks the Cowboys will do. The guy is a master talent evaluator, who has binders and binders saved of his grades. If there are any specific players you guys want to hear grades or opinions on let me know. Mind you this is someone from the industry, not a "expert" from a website or espn type. So I can ask some of his opinions on what the cowboys might do if I get to talk to him or go over his house.
                            Ask him if moving to the 4-3 is something he would recommend.

                            Ask him if they would ever move Ratliff to DE.

                            Ask him his grades/thoughts on Sean Lee are.

                            You da man, Boss Man.

                            How about Boss+Manning = Boss Man? lol

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by TheFinisher View Post
                              Per DMN-(talking about who Garrett might be looking at to bring in as DC)

                              Jean-Jacques Taylor: "It looks like he’s giving strong consideration to Todd Bowles, the assistant head coach and secondary coach in Miami. That would make sense because they worked together in Dallas, and they’re the same sort of person. They’re both kind of quiet guys who demand respect without belittling players. Bowles, who played in the league, is the kind of guy who commands respect with few words and with just a stare, if necessary. The players swore by him when he was the secondary coach under Bill Parcells, because he was such a good teacher. Bradie James used to attend his secondary meetings to get a better understanding of how to be better in coverage. DeMarcus Ware swore by him for the same reasons. As word has trickled out that Bowles might get the job, the players have already started getting excited. Bowles is also a taskmaster when it comes to technique. He demands perfect technique because he believes that doing so puts players in position to make plays much more frequently than poor technique. Hiring Bowles would be an outstanding move for the Cowboys and one that would reap immediate benefits next season."

                              EDIT: Here's another link from Calvin Watkins about what type of relationship Bowles has with the players and what type of scheme he would run.

                              http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...d-bowles-is-in
                              Strong consideration my ass. Sounds like it's already a done deal.

                              Which concerns me. Bowles may be a good position coach and the players might like him because he doesn't chew them out, but can he coordinate? Can he come up with defensive game plans, make the right in-game adjustments? Can he come up with innovative schemes? I hate giving the job to someone who lacks experience and a track record. Expect growing pains folks. Forget mastery. gah. This "learning on the job" approach didn't work for Garrett and now Bowles is being compared to Garrett? What a joke.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                                Strong consideration my ass. Sounds like it's already a done deal.

                                Which concerns me. Bowles may be a good position coach and the players might like him because he doesn't chew them out, but can he coordinate? Can he come up with defensive game plans, make the right in-game adjustments? Can he come up with innovative schemes? I hate giving the job to someone who lacks experience and a track record. Expect growing pains folks. Forget mastery. gah. This "learning on the job" approach didn't work for Garrett and now Bowles is being compared to Garrett? What a joke.
                                It sure seems that way. I was fine with Garrett as HC as long as we had an experienced DC come in like Ryan or Nolan, I'm not sold on an inexperienced young guy like Bowles. This is a bit of a headscratcher if it's the move.
                                Cowboys Mock:
                                1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
                                2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
                                3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information