X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cowboysforever
    Originally posted by CTCowboysFan
    Originally posted by cowboysforever
    The folks arguing 3-4 versus 4-3 and getting all excited about it with the SAME EXACT PLAYERS playing more or less the same positions .... Ug.

So it is good T New said their are a lot of players talking that are getting abused on the field?

You think this good news? Wow, you sound like a therapist raving over breakthroughs on the couch.

I would venture T New is talking about a few of his friends on D as well as TO.
    Um excuse me....there is a difference in 3 lineman or 4. Big one. The Cowboys are struggling stopping the run because they are not getting a push from the D-Line, having an extra lineman would help that cause, and Ware is a natural DE anyways.
    So same players, same place on field with different titles is important? Wow.

We already play a modified 4 3 on long dowms so ....

This is a uninteresting discussion,
    No we don't. There is a big difference in having 2 linebackers on the field instead of 3. We play a 4-2-5.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
    Albert Camus

Comment

• Don't forget about a guy who is really putting in his work down in San Fransico. I don't know how many of you were around about 3 months ago...but Mike Singletary was another name who just makes a lot of sense for us. However he doesn't have the Parcells ties so IDK.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule
        Don't forget about a guy who is really putting in his work down in San Fransico. I don't know how many of you were around about 3 months ago...but Mike Singletary was another name who just makes a lot of sense for us. However he doesn't have the Parcells ties so IDK.
        I'd love to have Singletary here. Would San Francisco let him leave though?

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
        Albert Camus

Comment

• Originally posted by Poet3334
          Originally posted by thule
          Don't forget about a guy who is really putting in his work down in San Fransico. I don't know how many of you were around about 3 months ago...but Mike Singletary was another name who just makes a lot of sense for us. However he doesn't have the Parcells ties so IDK.
          I'd love to have Singletary here. Would San Francisco let him leave though?
          I don't believe his contract is up this year...if I'm not mistaken he's signed for another year...but I was talking about a Parcells type successor.

Comment

• Well, I haven't been posting in - or even reading - this forum with a the negativity and spewage. Times like this are probably the most difficult in professional sports. You have a blue print, you pursue it, and spend years of development, resources, draft picks, signings etc to fill out all the needs of your plan. You attain enough of the materials that you need to fill it out, you assemble it and throw it out there......and it stumbles. The problems we are having now are not a matter of not having the pieces, or lacking in talent, or even injury. It's just plain not working.

That is very dangerous ground to be on if you are building a team, because you have to choose between giving up on something that you have spent so much time putting together, or keeping at it and risk "throwing good money after bad money". What is to be done? Is it coaching? Possibly. Is it scheme? Maybe. Is it intangibles? Who the **** knows.

The point is that right now for us to be suggesting all these wild scenarios, or even presuming to think that we have answers, is pointless and stupid. There is no way you can say that it's the D coordinator's fault, because you don't know what he does, how much influence he has, or whether it's the scheme that is at fault in the first place. We simply don't know.

I'll tell you what, though. This team reminds me, in two differing respects, of both the 04 Seahawks and the 05 Panthers.

First of all, the Seahawks were a team that was a "sleeper" Super Bowl pick by many going into that season. They had a great O-line, a very good RB, and a blossoming star QB, with some very solid talent in the passing game. They had spent lots of FA $$ on their defense, as well as obtaining some good young players. They seemed to have everything in place to take a place among the contenders in the league. So what happened? They went 9-7, with some truly painful losses along the way, and end up losing to 8-8 St. Louis at home in the first round of the playoffs. People were saying that they didn't have this, that or the other. That they couldn't win under pressure, that they didn't have a killer instinct, or that Mike Holmgren just didn't have the mojo anymore.

The next year, everyone looked back on how they finished the season and either wrote them off, or had them as a "nice team that won't ultimately contend". What happens? They dominate for much of the year, and run away with the conference on their way to the SB. Everything just seemed to finally come together, they clicked, and BAM, they started to play up to their potential.

The 05 Panthers, on the other hand, started out fairly slow, with bad losses to the horrid Saints and Dolphins in the first 3 weeks of the year, before hitting a very nice mid-stretch run where they won a bunch of games in a row, before having a mini breakdown at the end, getting shutdown by the Bears at home, before looking just horrible in home losses to : your very own Dallas Cowboys, and the division deciding game against the Tampa Bay Bucs. So, they end the season with a blowout win vs a bad team in a slump, go into the playoffs as the 5 seed, and everything starts to click en-route to a NFC Championship appearance that many predicted them to win based upon the dominance of their 2 previous games.

Does any of that sound familiar?

That may not be what ultimately happens here, but the parallels are pretty spooky.

How do we fix what's ailing us? First, we need to know what that is. And it isn't talent, because the players we have are capable of playing at a level commensurate with the best teams in the NFL. Mental mistakes have plagued us miserably in the last month, after 2/3 a season of sharp play in that area.

Maybe we're worn out. Maybe we're weak mentally. None here know.

All I know is that Bill Parcells has my trust, and that there isn't a single person in the NFL right now that I would rather have working on the problem. So, maybe we come out next year like gang-busters. Maybe it all falls apart. I don't know, but I am going to practice some educated forbearance, until this team show me, without a shadow of a doubt, that it does not have what it takes to compete for a championship in the NFL. If anyone else wants my advice on the subject, that would be it.
            Originally posted by 21ST
            He was protecting his self
            Originally posted by tjsunstein
            From what? His leg?
            Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
            That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
            "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• anybody see this...what do you think

We're hearing rumblings about a pretty significant scheme change on defense. Bill has no interest in providing details, but after talking to a couple of players in the locker room today, it wouldn't surprise me to see the return of the 4-3 on Sunday. Look for a defensive line that includes DeMarcus Ware, Marcus Spears, Jason Ferguson and Jason Hatcher. The linebackers would be Bob Carpenter, Bradie James and Akin Ayodele.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• Originally posted by pocketaces
                anybody see this...what do you think

We're hearing rumblings about a pretty significant scheme change on defense. Bill has no interest in providing details, but after talking to a couple of players in the locker room today, it wouldn't surprise me to see the return of the 4-3 on Sunday. Look for a defensive line that includes DeMarcus Ware, Marcus Spears, Jason Ferguson and Jason Hatcher. The linebackers would be Bob Carpenter, Bradie James and Akin Ayodele.
                I don't see BP doing that, I think he is going to keep the 3-4 and can Zimmer at the end of the year, I think Zimmer is a great coach but he is not a 3-4 kind of guy.

Of course this game really doesn't mean much unless we lose and philly loses then we look terrible, he may do what he did when we start at the 3-4 and rotate back and forth between the 2 but we dont have th players for the 4-3 we have the 3-4 players.

Also in case this was missed Detriot is playing for the #1 pick this week, if they loose they get #1 if they somehow win they get 2 unless Oakland also wins

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig

Comment

• Originally posted by Go Cowboys
                  Originally posted by pocketaces
                  anybody see this...what do you think

I don't see BP doing that, I think he is going to keep the 3-4 and can Zimmer at the end of the year, I think Zimmer is a great coach but he is not a 3-4 kind of guy.

Of course this game really doesn't mean much unless we lose and philly loses then we look terrible, he may do what he did when we start at the 3-4 and rotate back and forth between the 2 but we dont have th players for the 4-3 we have the 3-4 players.

Also in case this was missed Detriot is playing for the #1 pick this week, if they loose they get #1 if they somehow win they get 2 unless Oakland also wins
                  this wasnt an opinion this came from the dallas lockerroom so i think its going to happen, just a matter of how much.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• If we use a bit of 4-3, it doesnt mean that we are giving up on 3-4. Personally, I would like to mix it up a bit :twisted:

Comment

• Parcells said that it would be apparent when you watch the game. That tells me we'll see more 4-3 looks.

Albert Camus

Comment

• lmao, that doesn't mean any such thing.

It could just as easily mean that he is going to start Hatcher instead of Spears, that he is going to start using Bobby as a DE in the nickel, or any number of things. We may see some more even fronts, but don't think that this means we're canning the scheme. Bill is a huge believer in 2-gap - but even more important - lane-based defensive principals. That is never going to change.
                        Originally posted by 21ST
                        He was protecting his self
                        Originally posted by tjsunstein
                        From what? His leg?
                        Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                        That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                        "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                          lmao, that doesn't mean any such thing.

It could just as easily mean that he is going to start Hatcher instead of Spears, that he is going to start using Bobby as a DE in the nickel, or any number of things. We may see some more even fronts, but don't think that this means we're canning the scheme. Bill is a huge believer in 2-gap - but even more important - lane-based defensive principals. That is never going to change.
                          http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives...rs_e.html#more

I don't know why you would be laughing.

Albert Camus

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                            A couple of points I would like to make

- Switching to a 4-3 defense makes this defense worse. Your LBs are big strong LBs built for the 3-4, you can't just switch over to the 4-3 and not get torched. Your LBs are too slow for the 4-3, and your DEs (Ware and Spears) are not built to be 4-3 DEs

- The 3-4 is fine, you just need your guys to develop quicker, better Safety play, and a DC who can get more out of them with playcalling. BP is too occupied to take over playcalling duties on defense, so I guess the only logical solution is a new DC who is experienced in the 3-4.

- Newman pretty much called out TO and Roy Williams. And he has every right to. For all the talk, TO is dropping some key balls, and Roy loves talking about how he hits people, but forgets that he can't cover a ham sandwich or tackle properly, so he needs to shut up too.

- Im surprised how the team is in so much turmoil when youre still in the playoffs. It was a demoralizing loss yes, but I don't understand the anarchy. JJ didn't make things any easier opening his idiotic botox mouth either. Thats the last thing you guys needed.
                            yeah but we cant be playing any worse on D. i think our last 4 games we are ranked 31st in the league.

i mean trying a 4-3 wont make us any worse, then we are now

Comment

• I like the idea of switching to the 4-3 for the game against Detroit.. We have no interest in this game, beacuse if Phialdelphia wins they win the division.. Anyway, i would prefer to go to Seattle than play at home against the Eagles..

So if the experiment doesn't work out we have nothing to loose..

The interesting things about this scheme is that we could see Bobby in his natural position of SLB, Ayodele WLB and Spears DT. The thing that concern me is the ability of Bradie to play MIKE..
                              Ware will rush the passer all day from this position and maybe Spears could play at his level in his natural position of DT..

If Bill will do that, that's a good choice. If it works out, we can play some 4-3 in the playoff (with other teams studying the 3-4 we've played for 2 years)..

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• Originally posted by Modano
                                I like the idea of switching to the 4-3 for the game against Detroit.. We have no interest in this game, beacuse if Phialdelphia wins they win the division.. Anyway, i would prefer to go to Seattle than play at home against the Eagles..

So if the experiment doesn't work out we have nothing to loose..

The interesting things about this scheme is that we could see Bobby in his natural position of SLB, Ayodele WLB and Spears DT. The thing that concern me is the ability of Bradie to play MIKE..
                                Ware will rush the passer all day from this position and maybe Spears could play at his level in his natural position of DT..

If Bill will do that, that's a good choice. If it works out, we can play some 4-3 in the playoff (with other teams studying the 3-4 we've played for 2 years)..
                                If we won the division, how would we be playing the Eagles? We'd be the #3 seed playing the #6 seed which would be one of those terrible 8-8 or 7-9 teams.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information