Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dallas Cowboys Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by TheFinisher View Post
    It sure seems that way. I was fine with Garrett as HC as long as we had an experienced DC come in like Ryan or Nolan, I'm not sold on an inexperienced young guy like Bowles. This is a bit of a headscratcher if it's the move.
    This will be Garrett's first time as a HC (w/out the interim label), so I'm sure he wants a yes man, like Bowles, versus a prior HC like Mangini or Singletary (who might come in with their own ideas) or a guy that might fight back in Rob Ryan.

    I never thought about that until now, but my eyes are now open.

    This is dangerous territory we're entering. More weight will be on the players to perform inspite the coaching deficiencies.

    Comment


    • I disagree on that, D. Young guys with fire have traditionally been the ones that have proved the most innovative. Landry as a DC in NY. Parcells as a DC in NY. Belicheck as a DC...in NY (lawl...). Dick Labeau (sp?) as a DC in his early Bengals days. Buddy as a DC in Chicago. All were first time DCs and young guys at the time. Now as for their first years on the post, *shrug*. But there is plenty of track record for guys new to the position being strong out of the gate.

      I mean, its just like any job. You already do portions of the boss' job anyways (sometimes all of it), you see close up how things are done, you make mental notes about what you agree with and what you would do differently, and by the time the position opens up, you know exactly what you want to do. The problem is that we as fans have no way to gauge any candidate who has no track record. I would rather a proven stud at DC myself, but as long as Bowles comes highly recommended, I'm not gonna worry until I have reason. I like that he's a big technique guy. Those seem to be the most successful taskmasters in NFL coaching circles, and I think a taskmaster is what we need.
      Originally posted by 21ST
      He was protecting his self
      Originally posted by tjsunstein
      From what? His leg?
      Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
      That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
      "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

      DeMarcus Ware

      Comment


      • It's funny how us as fans get so up in arms and have our own thoughts on everything from coaches to players and everything in-between.

        Fact of the matter, there's no guarantee that a more experienced coach or coord. will do better than a newer guy. We see a track record and either like or dislike a guy based on that, and then ascertain how it would impact the team we root for. Campo had a track record, Phillips had a track record, Parcells had a track record, etc, etc, etc. Let us not jump to conclusions based off of what we think. Simply, this is the progression of these coaches. Rob Ryan started somewhere, Singletary, Josh McDaniels, etc, all weren't experts in their field before given a chance. Having a track record doesn't always translate to success. I'm sure there will be some growing pains, but the only thing I can hope for is a disciplined, well taught team...From the moves I'm hearing about, that seems to be what we're gearing towards.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by FreshBoy! View Post
          It's funny how us as fans get so up in arms and have our own thoughts on everything from coaches to players and everything in-between.

          Fact of the matter, there's no guarantee that a more experienced coach or coord. will do better than a newer guy. We see a track record and either like or dislike a guy based on that, and then ascertain how it would impact the team we root for. Campo had a track record, Phillips had a track record, Parcells had a track record, etc, etc, etc. Let us not jump to conclusions based off of what we think. Simply, this is the progression of these coaches. Rob Ryan started somewhere, Singletary, Josh McDaniels, etc, all weren't experts in their field before given a chance. Having a track record doesn't always translate to success. I'm sure there will be some growing pains, but the only thing I can hope for is a disciplined, well taught team...From the moves I'm hearing about, that seems to be what we're gearing towards.
          That's because there is no black and white answer. Just black and white opinions. :)

          Gimme Belichick over any hot shot assistant he's ever had. Gimme Belichick over Parcells. See the debate? ;)

          Comment


          • That's because there is no black and white answer. Just black and white opinions. :)
            Agreed.

            Just more willing to give the "young up and comers", ala Garrett and his decisions over the retread experienced once hot coach.
            We've been there, with nothing to show for it.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
              This will be Garrett's first time as a HC (w/out the interim label), so I'm sure he wants a yes man, like Bowles, versus a prior HC like Mangini or Singletary (who might come in with their own ideas) or a guy that might fight back in Rob Ryan.

              That's very true, never thought about that. like DMW said we won't know how it'll turn out, I'm willing to give anyone a chance so no point in bashing him when I don't know much about him. Just never dawned on me that Garret being a 1st time coach probably doesn't want a former HC to challenge him in certain positions.



              Much like Freshboy I just want to see a more disciplined team top to bottom, cut down on penalties, stupid mistakes, the same **** we had to watch for the last 3 years.





              Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

              Comment


              • My wish list of guys who might get fired ...

                Sparano or Callahan for OC. Nolan or Mangini for DC.

                Count me as a no vote for a loud mouth Ryan in Dallas. We have one and he is more than enuff embarrassment.

                Folks forget how good Mangini was as a DC or for that matter that his teams won when his O produced in NY or Cleveland. Guy never got a QB to help him win and at the end of the day in the NFL if you don't get a QB -- you will be fired quickly.

                Comment


                • Sparano is my 1st choice for OC, I really hope we make that happen because it sounds like he's done in Miami.





                  Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                    Sparano is my 1st choice for OC, I really hope we make that happen because it sounds like he's done in Miami.
                    He did a great job in Dallas. Was more qualified than Red when he got the anointing oil from JJ. I also think he has done well in Miami too but without a real QB -- no HC is safe in his job. And boy did Chad Henne cause him that job.

                    Plus to Sparano's defense the new owner in Miami is a bit of a flake -- matches beautifully the pathetically stupid Miami sports fan. Football fans down there are dumb as a box of rocks. Team is much better off today in terms of talent at every spot except QB. Sparano was a part of it.

                    On JG -- gotta admit, I was pretty impressed with Garrett as HC -- lots more than as OC. I mean, the dude pretty much went 7-1 with a horrid D and back-up QB.
                    Last edited by baghdadbob; 01-05-2011, 11:32 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by baghdadbob View Post
                      He did a great job in Dallas. Was more qualified than Red when he got the anointing oil from JJ.

                      Gotta admit, I was pretty impressed with Garrett as HC -- lots more than as OC. I mean, the dude pretty much went 7-1 with a horrid D and back-up QB.
                      I don't think I got to ask you because you may not have been around, but do you feel like other people have said where he may just be better suited to be a Head Coach and a leader vs a OC? His discipline was definately needed. I just still get annoyed with the few trick plays he likes to throw in and when we lose 9 yards it kills the drive, I think we have to live and die with that from him. We have got to be the only team who still runs the wild cat just to gain 3 yards.



                      Sparano does make too much sense though. I don't know alot about his tendancies though, so anyone who does I'd appreciate any info. Is he more of a run based guy, pass first, wide open offense, etc. I see what Miami has been and I don't know if he's called the plays but they always seemed to be run first, maybe because of the QB play. It would be nice if that were the case though just to balance Garrett out.





                      Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                        I don't think I got to ask you because you may not have been around, but do you feel like other people have said where he may just be better suited to be a Head Coach and a leader vs a OC?
                        I can not argue with results. Everything was better with him as HC. I can not believe it but fact is with a horrid D the guy could easily have gone 7-1.


                        Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                        His discipline was definately needed. I just still get annoyed with the few trick plays he likes to throw in and when we lose 9 yards it kills the drive, I think we have to live and die with that from him. We have got to be the only team who still runs the wild cat just to gain 3 yards.
                        He is still not a good play caller but to JG's point --- great execution can overcome bad play calling --- so even if he calls a bad game but his guys are focused, practiced well and eager to get it done, then it is good news all around.

                        Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                        Sparano does make too much sense though. I don't know alot about his tendancies though, so anyone who does I'd appreciate any info. Is he more of a run based guy, pass first, wide open offense, etc. I see what Miami has been and I don't know if he's called the plays but they always seemed to be run first, maybe because of the QB play. It would be nice if that were the case though just to balance Garrett out.
                        Miami has no dynamic skills players, their OL has had tons of injuries and his QB looks lost ..... went 7-1 on the road. I saw some games and that team was easily 11-5 with Jon Kitna. No joke.

                        He is getting jobbed by a Jerrah type owner who is distracted and knows nothing of football. But when Ross goes down to Miami from NY he hears all the imbecile sports fans and even more idiotic sports writers in Miami and since they are in a panic over the fact the team has not improved in the W_L column .... so in turn Ross panics b/c he knows little more than what others tell him to think. You need to read the papers and hear the 5 (FIVE!!!!) sports radio stations in Miami. It is pathetic.

                        Miami is making the same mistakes (and improvements) Parcells did at Dallas in terms of upgrading the talent everywhere but missing on some early round picks ..... running out of town some fan favorites..... etc.

                        Whoever gets that job really only has one job ... develop or find a QB and improve edge speed. Rest of the team is nicely put together.

                        Comment


                        • D-Unit, I don't see how you can call guys like Todd Bowles coaching "defeciencies."

                          Whose to say mangini or rob ryan would be better? Personally, I'm not a fan of mangini at all.

                          If they are qualified for the job, they will get it. Jerry isn't going to give the job to some scrub coach just because he's young. That's stupid and ********.

                          Have faith. Bowles is a hell of a coach. Him and Garrett are two good young minds. I love the direction the coaching staff is going in.

                          Comment


                          • Interesting tidbit from dmn

                            Reports are also out there that the Cowboys are interested in Wisconsin offensive coordinator Paul Chryst as the new Cowboys offensive coordinator. Hiring, or interviewing staff, is just another piece of evidnece that Garrett will be the guy.

                            A source inside the University of Wisconsin athletic department said prior to the Rose Bowl that the Dallas Cowboys loomed as a bigger threat to hire away Badgers offensive coordinator Paul Chryst than the Texas Longhorns.

                            [...]

                            When Garrett became the Cowboys offensive coordinator in 2007, he tried to hire Chryst as quarterbacks coach. The two worked together when Chryst was an assistant coach and Garrett was the quarterback for the San Antonio Riders of the World League of American Football in 1991 and ’92.

                            They have remained friends and stayed in contact ever since. It has been widely speculated Garrett would have interest in hiring Chryst as offensive coordinator.
                            I'm all over this

                            Comment


                            • I don't know that much about him besides that wisconsin put up like 70 points in 3 straight games to end the season..

                              He a good coach?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                                Ask him if moving to the 4-3 is something he would recommend.

                                Ask him if they would ever move Ratliff to DE.

                                Ask him his grades/thoughts on Sean Lee are.

                                You da man, Boss Man.

                                How about Boss+Manning = Boss Man? lol
                                Haha, that would be way too long of a handle. I am not too happy with Boss since he kept his skirt on and didn't jump on a fumble. So I may change it to..

                                Manning+Manningham=Mayhem or something like that. But still thinking what's going to happen with Boss. He is a UFA.


                                Cool, if I get to talk to him soon I will ask his father to rely it. I know a former cowboy and friend of mine, Darian Barnes was supposed to go visit. So If that happens I will go with him.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information