This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Press conference today at 1:30.

GARRETT IT IS. Let's just hope we get info on the OC/DC.

Comment

• Again, Ryan would be an instant cure for lack of toughness on a defense that exhibited same from camp to the opening games of the '10 season. Wade's lack of practicing in pads was IMO a holdover from his father Bum Phillips who insisted on not hitting in practices as the Houston Oilers HC, could not see the sense of "injuring ourselves," & that makes sense. But at some point you have to develop toughness as a team b/c if you don't you will be defeated as a team on Sundays in a sport that's all about hitting & physically dominating an opponent. Where the rubber met the road vs. opponents , the OL & the defense, the Cowboys were noticeably lacking in toughness during games, then when disciplinary issues came up (like 2 excessive celebration penalties in 2 successive games) a big red arrow was pointed at the coaching staff & Jerry Jones was obviously embarrassed in all those interviews as the media elbowed each other out of the way to ask those pointed questions.

Changes were made & it came under the heading of emergency corrective action, but too little too late in terms of salvaging a season that was over by November.

I'm just hoping the team doesnt get into a paint themselves into a corner mode in draft preparation again, the concept of focusing on only Their Guy at the top of their board at a specific need position. If, for example they decide to dump Newman, & keep Jenkins that could largely be a matter of $ & cents on current contracts, they focus closely on their #1 guy like Prince Amakurmara from Nebraska, & then move to position of need #2 if he's unavailable for whatever reason, taken or can't trade up for him. Same thing could happen with Wisniewski at OG/C, a lot of non-QB players find themselves suddenly top 5 material & non-top 5 teams like Dallas find themselves re-prioritizing on draft day.
      Last edited by LizardState; 01-06-2011, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshBoy! View Post
        Press conference today at 1:30.

GARRETT IT IS. Let's just hope we get info on the OC/DC.
        I'd be surprised if it's anyone other than Chryst and Bowles at this point, but I doubt that announcement comes today.

Fun fact: Bowles was the guy who got Parcells and Jerry to buy into Anthony Henry. :/

Comment

• Originally posted by thule View Post
          Interesting tidbit from dmn

I'm all over this
          Yeah, I read about that over at BTB yesterday. Hopefully Chryst could bring in the idea of a disciplined O-line that creates wide lanes for runners. I absolutely love the way the Wisconsin O-line is built. They are a one minded unit, and I'm hoping like hell that Chryst could bring that mentality here.
          "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
          ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
            Fun fact: Bowles was the guy who got Parcells and Jerry to buy into Anthony Henry. :/
            Henry was a classic case of a red hot rookie yr raising expectations that he never fulfilled as his career declined. He had like 11 INTs his rookie yr with the Browns, never even remotely that good later. For some reason that happens more with DBs than other positions, maybe b/c of speed loss with aging.

Is a Chryst - Carimi pkg. deal out of the question? Unless Costanzo wows everybody in Sr. Bowl practices no way he gets even in draftable OT on the teams boards, Carimi will likely be a very hot property on draft day & top 5 material. Dallas' need at OG rather than OT is obvious, I think Leonard Davis is done, & with everyone saying the no. of FAs will be limited in a new CBA yr. teams will be more draft dependent for help than usual.

Comment

• Originally posted by CDCB14 View Post
              I don't know that much about him besides that wisconsin put up like 70 points in 3 straight games to end the season..

He a good coach?
              He likes the run the ******* ball! Which is 1 thing I can get on board with lol. I think they would make a good mix together, nothing wrong with bumping him up and giving him a chance. That's not a bad consolation prize.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                I'd be surprised if it's anyone other than Chryst and Bowles at this point, but I doubt that announcement comes today.

ANthony Henry balled out for us for a few years.

Other news, Andrew Luck staying in school takes one player non-QB off the board before us. Damnit.

Comment

• Jason Garrett has final say over the roster/personnel.

Holy **** Jerry...*thumbs up*

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshBoy! View Post
                    Jason Garrett has final say over the roster/personnel.

Holy **** Jerry...*thumbs up*
                    Or so he says.

You know Jerry's going to be right there, whispering in his ear on draft day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morton View Post
                      Or so he says.

You know Jerry's going to be right there, whispering in his ear on draft day.
                      I agree, I think you need to consider the source on that one. I do think Jerrah has come down from thinking he's done an amazing job as GM, and realizes he needs help.

Comment

• Again, this situation is different than most. Could Jerry have final say? Yeah sure, because he is the owner and has a big ego. However, Jones and the Garrett family have an excellent working relationship. Old man Garrett who is older than Jones worked as a scout for him.

3 of his sons are with the cowboys:

Jason
                        John
                        Judd

I would not be surprised if Jason has more control than coaches in recent memory. I also wouldn't be surprised if his dad came back or helped him in some capacity too. Let's put it this way, if there was a time for Jones to give up SOME of his control, Jason would be the guy because of the family connections to the organization and because of old man Garrett and Jones.

Comment

• Jerry will always have the final say whether he openly states it or not. It's all about how comfortable he feels Garrett's decisions are. I think he'll give him free reign unless there are some big mishaps. He'll probably want to have an ear on every decision, but I think that he won't challenge Garrett yet. I think he did the same thing with Wade except for things like trading up to get Dez.
                          "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                          ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

• Owners always have final say but they should know that many decisions are not really theirs to make .... that is part of logic to hiring people and paying them millions of dollars -- you trust them to make decisions with your money and if they don't produce you fire them. But you don't pay them millions to co-manage their work like Jerrah did with Wade.

I am liking JG more every day if what we hear is true. Going with young guys who are willing to work 100 hours per week. Fact is this team seem unprepared for the last few seasons and having intense practice-aholics is a great thing the more I think about it.

If I am Jerrah and I see the lights on as I drive by Valley Ranch at 11:00pm on April 19, 2011 and the the DC/OC/HC cars in the parking lots -- I swill another shot of Jack in a fit of satisfaction that my beeyotches are earning their keep.
                            Last edited by baghdadbob; 01-06-2011, 03:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by baghdadbob View Post
                              Owners always have final say but they should know that many decisions are not really theirs to make .... that is part of logic to hiring people and paying them millions of dollars -- you trust them to make decisions with your money and if they don't produce you fire them. But you don't pay them millions to co-manage their work like Jerrah did with Wade.

I am liking JG more every day if what we hear is true. Going with young guys who are willing to work 100 hours per week. Fact is this team seem unprepared for the last few seasons and having intense practice-aholics is a great thing the more I think about it.

If I am Jerrah and I see the lights on as I drive by Valley Ranch at 11:00pm on April 19, 2011 and the the DC/OC/HC cars in the parking lots -- I swill another shot of Jack in a fit of satisfaction that my beeyotches are earning their keep.
                              I'm with you on learning to like JG more and more. I really liked when he referred back to his playing days in the 90's and the 'Cowboy Way', and how he wants to restore that pride to the franchise. Garrett really seems passionate about bringing the Cowboys back to the level we were at during the 90's runs, and I love that about him.
                              Cowboys Mock:
                              1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
                              2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
                              3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

Comment

• Originally posted by TheFinisher View Post
                                I'm with you on learning to like JG more and more. I really liked when he referred back to his playing days in the 90's and the 'Cowboy Way', and how he wants to restore that pride to the franchise. Garrett really seems passionate about bringing the Cowboys back to the level we were at during the 90's runs, and I love that about him.
                                The "Cowboy Way" comment was what got me most excited. I was already behind him, but yea. That and how he said training camp will be "hard, demanding, and will prepare them for 16 weeks of football".

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information