Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just very glad that the job isn't being automatically given to Bowles. eegh.

If Rob Ryan is coming to Dallas for an interview, then I think he has a good chance to get the job. I'd be happy with that.

It doesn't seem like a Garrett move though. I think personalities would clash. Maybe it's just a PR move.

If we got Keith Butler, that would be a STEAL!
    Last edited by D-Unit; 01-14-2011, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• I think our defense needs more of a make-over than what most of us may think. We need more quality depth at the DL, need help at ILB and I'd say all 4 starters in the secondary could be considered expendable. I do agree an attitude change is in store as well, but I feel some personnel changes need to be made. I'll take a true shutdown corner, ball hawking safety and depth at DL. That would be ideal.

Comment

• I like Ryan but he's nowhere near the obvious, clear-cut, and IMHO best choice.... Dom Capers.

Contract is expiring, he has already worked with Garrett and from all indications they get along well, and he brings a pressure style defense that this team badly needs.

While Rob Ryan isn't a terrible choice his personality is a definite clash with Garrett and I can't see him being the choice in the end.
        Originally posted by D-Unit
        I have no clue what Bortles is all about. Has a funny name though. Sounds like a Pokemon.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock

Comment

• Originally posted by Trogdor View Post
          I like Ryan but he's nowhere near the obvious, clear-cut, and IMHO best choice.... Dom Capers.

Contract is expiring, he has already worked with Garrett and from all indications they get along well, and he brings a pressure style defense that this team badly needs.

While Rob Ryan isn't a terrible choice his personality is a definite clash with Garrett and I can't see him being the choice in the end.
          Capers contract is over after this season? I didn't know that.

He'd have to get more than just DC to come here though. DC + assistant HC or something like that. I do agree that Capers is a good DC who would work well with Garrett.

Comment

• Originally posted by BAM1988 View Post
            I agree that both coaches are very good canidates for the job, but the question remains what will happen with Jay Ratliff. Both coaches run 3-4 schemes based upon a traditional nose tackle. Even if Ratliff agrees to move to DE opposite of Bowen there is still a gaping hole at NT (no pun intended) unless Price-Brent is ready to make an impact on the field.
            I keep forgetting about Ratliff. Last season showed that he's gotten figured out to the point to where he's a liability in the run game. Moving him to DE right now is the best bet no matter what he says. If that's the case then they should be looking for an NT while DE becomes less of a priority. Bowen showed that he can start, so I have faith in the guy. Ratliff probably could still be great at DE, and if that's the case you wouldn't need to target a DE early in the draft. I don't know if Brent's ready. He looked okay as a backup, but I would want them to sign someone to compete. Who is available?

Originally posted by Trogdor View Post
            I like Ryan but he's nowhere near the obvious, clear-cut, and IMHO best choice.... Dom Capers.

Wait, Capers' contract is up? I didn't know that at all. If he's willing I would sign him in a heartbeat.
            "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
            ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

• Originally posted by Trogdor View Post

I'm almost 100% positive Capers is locked up through 2011, I'll try to find a link. Even if wasn't, there's no reason to believe he wants to leave GB unless it's a HC gig, which we can't offer.

I'm also not so sure about Ryan's personality clashing with Garrett. You don't spend 4 years on Bill Belichick's staff if you're a loud mouth, not to mention Mangini (who's also a straight shooter) thought so highly of him in NE that he brought him to Cleveland to coach with him for the past 2 years. If Ryan can make it work under those staffs there shouldn't be a problem with him and Garrett, Rob doesn't seem to bring the type of circus Rex does.
              Cowboys Mock:
              1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
              2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
              3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

Comment

• Rob Ryan did a lot of good things in Oakland, and had the Raiders FO had any type of vision and commitment to their roster, that could have been a dominant defense, but they messed it up by letting some guys get away and not adding the right pieces to the nucleus that they already had. As for his time in Cleveland...the Browns were spotty at best, but he didn't have great talent and there was some improvement. I think he's a very solid hire and with the talent on this team he could do some serious things.
                Originally posted by 21ST
                He was protecting his self
                Originally posted by tjsunstein
                From what? His leg?
                Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Personalities clashing? What has the media done to you people? They are grown men, trying to win football games. That stuff doesn't mean ****.

If he is the best man for the job, Garrett will hire him. If he isn't, he won't.

Personalities clashing?... Stop watching ESPN.

SMH.

Comment

• Dallas is finalizing a deal with Rob Ryan as we speak.

http://twitter.com/jay_glazer

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl...ory?id=6023366

Cowboys Mock:

Comment

• Yup, here you go:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

I don't see why you guys have a boner over this, but i'll take it.

Comment

• Originally posted by CDCB14 View Post
                        Yup, here you go:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

I don't see why you guys have a boner over this, but i'll take it.
                        You'll find out soon enough lol.

Seriously though, this was an excellent move by Garrett. I was becoming convinced he was only going to bring in guys that he was comfortable with, boy am I happy I was wrong!
                        Cowboys Mock:

Comment

• I think now that we know who our DC is, we can start to piece together what moves we'll be looking to make from a player standpoint. Ball and Sensy will not be starters for us in 2011, I can pretty much guarantee that. I'd say Dawan Landry in FA would be a good move for SS, he won't be that expensive and has been an important part of that Ravens defense the past 5 years, I think he gets overlooked there. He will bring a tough mentality to the defense and is the type of blitzing, in the box type-safety Ryan will want. Then we have to make it a point to land the best pure FS in the draft, who I think is Rahim Moore. He's got great range and we can just leave him deep, which would play to his strengths and cover up his weaknesses. We'd see an immediate change just from those 2 moves alone.
                          Last edited by TheFinisher; 01-15-2011, 10:24 AM.
                          Cowboys Mock:

Comment

• Pre-FA:

Don't Resign:
                            Sensy- We need to upgrade and he isn't worth the money for a backup.
                            Spears- Won't be worth what he'll be asking, let some other team overpay for him.
                            Hatcher- Nice player but money can be better served elsewhere.
                            Alan Ball- Experimental project, good bye.
                            Alex Barron- Don't hit your *** on the way out.
                            Sam Hurd- Never be more that a 4th WR.

Resign:
                            Free- No Brainer
                            Kosier- Solid contributor and the continuity on the left side will be good for the development of Free.
                            Bowen- Solid role player.

Cuts:

Marion Barber- Run down.
                            Roy Williams- Save 30 Mil over the next 4 years.
                            Keith Brooking- Washed up.
                            Marc Colombo- Old and overpaid.
                            Leonard Davis- Old and overpaid.
                            Igot Olshansky- Wade's guy.

Restructure Terence Newman's deal. He is simply not good enough to receive the 10 mil per year he's making. If he doesn't want to then cut him, I still like him but not for that price.

Free Agency:

S, Dawan Landry- Will be relatively cheap and will bring a toughness to the defense. He was a starter his entire 5 year career at Baltimore and was a important part of their great defenses. In Ryan's 46/34 hybrid, he needs a physical blitzing safety. He is a smart veteran, only 28.

OT- Jermon Bushrod- Solid player for the Saints, has been a solid starter and is in the prime of his career. Won't cost too much and will be better served on the right side.

OG- Justin Blalock- Another great young player who was a stud for the Falcons. Carl Nicks and Logan Mankins will make his price lower than what it should be. Only 27.

* If we have enough money (dependant on if Newman restructures or is cut) then go after Nnamdi. We will have just enough money because of the cuts and non resignings but it will be tight.

Draft

Round 1- Marcell Dareus, DE, Alabama- You should all know about him by now.

Round 2- Rahim Moore, S, UCLA- In Ryan's scheme he needs his FS to be a deep centerfielder like Ed Reed is for Baltimore. Moore is exactly what we need and how we play him will match up with his strengths and hide his weaknesses.

Round 3- Traded to Cleveland for the rights to NT Ahtyba Rubin.

Round 4- John Moffitt, OG, Wisconsin- Solid player who could eventually replace Kosier. Good backup option in case we run into injuries.

Round 5- Kelvin Sheppard, ILB, LSU- Good depth, maybe eventual successor to Bradie James.

Round 6- Mike Blanc, DE/DT, Auburn- Although Nick Fairley got most of the press, Blanc was a desruptive force along that Auburn line. Nice roataional player.

Round 7- Greg Salas, WR, Hawaii- Might be gone by now, but a guy who is good at run after the catch and is sure handed. We need to get some depth for WR.

Offense
                            QB-Romo, Kitna, McGee
                            RB- Jones, Choice
                            FB- Gronkowski
                            TE-Witten, Marty B, Phillips
                            LT- Free,
                            LG- Kosier, Moffitt
                            C- Gurode,
                            RG- Blalock, Holland
                            RT- Bushrod, Young
                            WR- Miles, Dez, Ogletree, Salas

DE- Dareus, Blanc
                            DE- Ratliff, Bowen
                            NT- Rubin, Brent
                            OLB- Ware, Butler
                            OLB- Spencer, B. Williams
                            ILB- Bradie, Sheppard
                            ILB- Lee,
                            CB- Newman, Scandrick *Assuming we don't sign Aso.
                            CB- Jenkins, McCann
                            FS- Moore, McCray
                            SS- Landry, Church
                            Cowboys Mock:

Comment

• I had Dareus, Moffitt and Blanc in those same spots yesterday. Glad we agree. :)

But Salas isn't lasting till the 7th.

Comment

• I'm sorry I dont think signing Nnamdi Asomugha makes very much sense going foward. Yes, Aso is one of the few lock down corners in the league, yes he has a familarity with Ryan from Oakland, and yes he would upgade the CB position, but by how much? And at what cost? Aso may be targeting contenders as possible destinations, but im almost positive it isn't going to come at a discount. He will probably be working to get a contract similar to DeAngelo Hall's 6yr $55 million with a large amount guaranteed. Aso will be 30 by the time training camp rolls around and a similar contract would lock him up until the age of 36. I just can't justify him making that much of an impact in the 3-4 "Productive" years he has left in the tank to make that type of commitment.

Rob Ryan has made his mark as a defensive coach devising schemes to disguise coverages to PROTECT the secondary. Newman and Jenkins have flaws but both are more than capable of holding their own when coverages are mixed up. Both Newman and Jenkins thrive on the ability to keep their eyes in the backfield and making plays on the ball rather then being place on an island without help. Ryan's scheme will cater to those strengths and they should look 100% better then last year.

For that kind of spending I would prefer Jerry to target Haloti Ngata. Ngata is just turning 27 this month and is one of the rare impact NT in a 3-4 scheme. I think the combination of Bowen (possibly Dareus) and Ratliff at DE and the addition of Ngata at NT would elavate the d-line to elite status, maximizing Ware and Spencers pass russing ability off the ends. On the down side it would cost a pretty penny; his contract would have to be based of Suh's rookie contract, 6yrs $68 mil.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information