This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
    I had Dareus, Moffitt and Blanc in those same spots yesterday. Glad we agree. :)

But Salas isn't lasting till the 7th.
    You know what they say, great minds think alike. lol.
    Gimme Dareus in Ryan's scheme 7 days of the week, and Moffitt and Blanc are guys who fit what we do as well. They will definitely be targeted by us.

And I just threw Salas' name out there bc I'm not too familiar with the late round WRs, but I think we need to grab one if we let go of Roy and Hurd like I had. Although I wouldn't be upset if Ogletree was our 3rd WR, but behind him would be nothing.
    Cowboys Mock:
    1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
    2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
    3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

Comment

• Originally posted by BAM1988 View Post
      I'm sorry I dont think signing Nnamdi Asomugha makes very much sense going foward. Yes, Aso is one of the few lock down corners in the league, yes he has a familarity with Ryan from Oakland, and yes he would upgade the CB position, but by how much? And at what cost? Aso may be targeting contenders as possible destinations, but im almost positive it isn't going to come at a discount. He will probably be working to get a contract similar to DeAngelo Hall's 6yr $55 million with a large amount guaranteed. Aso will be 30 by the time training camp rolls around and a similar contract would lock him up until the age of 36. I just can't justify him making that much of an impact in the 3-4 "Productive" years he has left in the tank to make that type of commitment.

Rob Ryan has made his mark as a defensive coach devising schemes to disguise coverages to PROTECT the secondary. Newman and Jenkins have flaws but both are more than capable of holding their own when coverages are mixed up. Both Newman and Jenkins thrive on the ability to keep their eyes in the backfield and making plays on the ball rather then being place on an island without help. Ryan's scheme will cater to those strengths and they should look 100% better then last year.

For that kind of spending I would prefer Jerry to target Haloti Ngata. Ngata is just turning 27 this month and is one of the rare impact NT in a 3-4 scheme. I think the combination of Bowen (possibly Dareus) and Ratliff at DE and the addition of Ngata at NT would elavate the d-line to elite status, maximizing Ware and Spencers pass russing ability off the ends. On the down side it would cost a pretty penny; his contract would have to be based of Suh's rookie contract, 6yrs $68 mil.
      Dude... talking about Ngata in Dallas is more than a wild fantasy.

I have doubts about Aso's age vs cost too, but this is the NFL. Is Newman going to make his scheduled $9M next year? Is Roy Williams gonna fulfill his 6 year, 54M deal? You can't let your eyes believe the dollar signs on his contract. When guys are no longer worth it, they get cut. I'm sure Aso will earn whatever bonus money he gets. We NEED lockdown corners in this defense, because Ryan actually leaves them quite vulnerable. I disagree with you about how he "protects" them. His D is designed to shutdown the run. ...which is a scary thing in today's high passing NFL.

Comment

Dude... talking about Ngata in Dallas is more than a wild fantasy.

I have doubts about Aso's age vs cost too, but this is the NFL. Is Newman going to make his scheduled $9M next year? Is Roy Williams gonna fulfill his 6 year, 54M deal? You can't let your eyes believe the dollar signs on his contract. When guys are no longer worth it, they get cut. I'm sure Aso will earn whatever bonus money he gets. We NEED lockdown corners in this defense, because Ryan actually leaves them quite vulnerable. I disagree with you about how he "protects" them. His D is designed to shutdown the run. ...which is a scary thing in today's high passing NFL.
        Rob Ryan is not his father or Rex; his defense isn't a high blitzing pressure defense like the 46 or base 3-4. The Amoeba defense's pressure scheme is based off of pre-snap movement to free up the best passrushers and then confusing the QB with complex ZONE COVERAGE. Im not against adding a ASO if everything is front loaded and they consider moving Newman to FS. If not, Newman/Jenkins fit fine and will be better suited in this scheme compared to last season where they were line up 10 yards off the ball playing man coverage.

If anything there needs to be an upgrade to the ILB to better suite the need to drop in coverage and most definately an upgrade at both safety positions but im sure we agree on that.
        Last edited by BAM1988; 01-15-2011, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• I wonder if any assistants will follow Rob to Dallas? Maybe we can get Bryan Cox over here too....
          Cowboys Mock:
          1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
          2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
          3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

Comment

• To Whoever said draft Kelvin Shephard from LSU - Please do not suggest that. Shephard is TERRIBLE. He runs around blockers. He does not stand them up. He'll be awful in the NFL and even worse in a 3-4 ILB role.

Designs by Thule

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
            I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

• You guys need a defensive coordinator right?

You want Sean McDermott? He's recently become available.

Comment

• I would take Salas in a heartbeat. That dude is a boss. Salas in the slot with Dez and Miles on the outside with witten... I love it.

Comment

• Originally posted by CDCB14 View Post
                  I would take Salas in a heartbeat. That dude is a boss. Salas in the slot with Dez and Miles on the outside with witten... I love it.
                  Offense wasn't the problem at all this year. Defense should be the top priority in both the draft and FA. The OL isn't great but the offensive numbers show that it was servicable/average.

Designs by Thule

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                  I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

• A little concerned that no official announcement has been made about Rob Ryan yet...

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                      Rob plays a ton of zone, and he's not as aggressive as you think. I've seen him rush 3, sometimes even 2 guys quite often.

He's good at mixing it up, but don't expect Rex Ryan. His scheme isn't as similar to Rex as people assume.

I think Rob is a good hire, but I think his resume isn't as good as it's perceived to be. He's bounced around a lot for a guy who's supposed to be a defensive genius.

A lot of staffs decided against keeping him around. And nobody was really knocking on his door this whole time, it didn't sound like many were that enthusiastic about bringing him on their staff. I'm just saying.
                      It's Rob's personality and mantra that is keeping teams from being "enthusiastic about bringing him on their staff".

Comment

A little concerned that no official announcement has been made about Rob Ryan yet...
                        Adam Schefter has already reported that he has agreed to be the DC for the Cowboys it's just a matter of finalizing the contract. But he's to hoping he brings some of his staff as well :D
                        Originally posted by D-Unit
                        I have no clue what Bortles is all about. Has a funny name though. Sounds like a Pokemon.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock

Comment

• Anyone big on bringing in Michael Huff for a look in free agency? I know he hasn't produced big numbers since coming in the league but I think he could be a nice fit if he is shifted over to SS.

Comment

• Rob Ryan is official. Happy D-Unit?

Comment

• Originally posted by CDCB14 View Post
                              Rob Ryan is official. Happy D-Unit?
                              There were several candidates that would've made me happy. He was one of them.

His dad is the architect behind the best defense of all time... the '85 Bears defense. I would love for Mike Singletary to come aboard in some capacity...but I realize that's wishful thinking at this point.

We already know how big a fan Mike is of Sean Lee. Imagine how Lee would get molded with Mike as his mentor.

Speaking of Lee... he is such a man of character. Love the way he carries out his business and shows respect for his elders.

On Brooking...

"That guy can be playing until he's 40," Lee said before the season ended. "I don't see it as a situation where I'm a replacement for him, because you don't know how long he's going to play with how talented he is and how tough a guy he is."
                              Last edited by D-Unit; 01-16-2011, 11:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BAM1988 View Post
                                Anyone big on bringing in Michael Huff for a look in free agency? I know he hasn't produced big numbers since coming in the league but I think he could be a nice fit if he is shifted over to SS.
                                Huff is better than anything we have, but that's not really saying much. I would hope for a better upgrade than him.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information