Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dallas Cowboys Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by leroyisgod
    Originally posted by Modano
    I like the idea of switching to the 4-3 for the game against Detroit.. We have no interest in this game, beacuse if Phialdelphia wins they win the division.. Anyway, i would prefer to go to Seattle than play at home against the Eagles..

    So if the experiment doesn't work out we have nothing to loose..

    The interesting things about this scheme is that we could see Bobby in his natural position of SLB, Ayodele WLB and Spears DT. The thing that concern me is the ability of Bradie to play MIKE..
    Ware will rush the passer all day from this position and maybe Spears could play at his level in his natural position of DT..

    If Bill will do that, that's a good choice. If it works out, we can play some 4-3 in the playoff (with other teams studying the 3-4 we've played for 2 years)..
    If we won the division, how would we be playing the Eagles? We'd be the #3 seed playing the #6 seed which would be one of those terrible 8-8 or 7-9 teams.
    Yeah, you're right.. my bad I was counting that we would've been #4...


    In Bob We Trust

    John Madden's wedding video business

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

    Comment


    • Originally posted by thule
      Don't forget about a guy who is really putting in his work down in San Fransico. I don't know how many of you were around about 3 months ago...but Mike Singletary was another name who just makes a lot of sense for us. However he doesn't have the Parcells ties so IDK.
      Is Singletary a 3-4 guy? I don't see too many 49ers games so I'm not sure what their scheme is. He spent most of his playing career in the 46 defense.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by FinChase
        Originally posted by thule
        Don't forget about a guy who is really putting in his work down in San Fransico. I don't know how many of you were around about 3 months ago...but Mike Singletary was another name who just makes a lot of sense for us. However he doesn't have the Parcells ties so IDK.
        Is Singletary a 3-4 guy? I don't see too many 49ers games so I'm not sure what their scheme is. He spent most of his playing career in the 46 defense.
        Ah, Mike Singletary. I watched some old film on him and the 80s Bears yesterday because there was nothing on TV. He was such a beast. The 80s Bears were my favorite 4-3 defense of all time. Singletary was better than Ray Lewis.

        And to answer the quesiton, I don't know if Singletary is a 3-4 guy. I think he's more of a LB specialist. He was a 4-3 player, and has had only a couple of years of experience coaching in the 3-4, so I don't know if he's the guy for the job. Love him as a coordinator, find him intrigueing as a HC, but Im not sure if he qualifies as a 3-4 guy.

        Comment


        • I think the main difference between the two defenses is the 3-4 is a little better to rush the QB and the 4-3 is a little better to stop the run. Well the last couple games we haven't been able to stp the run or rush the passer so I think it would be beneficial to use the 4-3 a lot more than we have in the past. I don't think we really have the players to run the 4-3 exclusively though as Ware would wear down as an every down DE and our LBs aren't very good in coverage.

          This is a desperate team right now, we should try anything and everything to improve our play.

          This Detroit game is kinda a lose lose situation, if we win all we did was beat the worst team in the league playing for the #1 draft pick and if we lose well I dont want to even get into that.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Poet3334
            Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
            lmao, that doesn't mean any such thing.

            It could just as easily mean that he is going to start Hatcher instead of Spears, that he is going to start using Bobby as a DE in the nickel, or any number of things. We may see some more even fronts, but don't think that this means we're canning the scheme. Bill is a huge believer in 2-gap - but even more important - lane-based defensive principals. That is never going to change.
            http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives...rs_e.html#more

            I don't know why you would be laughing.
            All I'm laughing at is that you said that Parcells saying "it will be pretty apparent" = more 4-3 looks.

            I'm not saying we won't try it some, and I'm not really saying that we shouldn't, all I'm saying is that it does not equate. Didn't mean to come across in a mean way, though.
            Originally posted by 21ST
            He was protecting his self
            Originally posted by tjsunstein
            From what? His leg?
            Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
            That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
            "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

            DeMarcus Ware

            Comment


            • Someone made a good point saying Bradie James as the MLB in a 4-3 plain stinks. Too slow. Bradie rarely plays behind the LOS.

              A few other things for the 4-3 discussion. 4-3 requires two big DT and speedy ends. Cowboys don't have that in totality. I think only Hatcher has that for the DE spot. I will say I think Spears or Canty can move inside easily. Canty kinda of reminds me of Keith Hamilton from the Giants -- same body type and a kid who went inside as his career progressed.

              The MLB is in question, at least Bradie is in question, unless Akin can play it. Akin is faster and has already been canned as a 4-3 OLB. Jacksonville let him walk.

              The OLB would be a little slow unless you move Burnett to WLB and Carpenter to SLB.

              But the proposed changes are really wind dressing unless you get more speed on the field and bench a few of the starters.

              Comment


              • My Mock for what it is worth with the following assumptions. BP stays. TO goes. 3-4 Stays. Combine changes everything. Julius Jones and Kevin Burnett being traded for a 2 and 3 pick -- these guys need to go somewhere they are needed and can start. Either Spears or Canty will be moved inside. Watkins becomes starting FS. We have an extra 5 from NO I think>

                1> Quentin Moses (OLB)
                2a> Ben Grubbs (OG)
                2b> Levi Brown (OT)
                3a> Lorenzo Booker (TB)
                3b> Ryan Moore (WR)
                4> Jordan Palmer (QB)
                5> Brandon Meriweather (CB/S)
                5> Marquice Cole (CB)
                6> Steve Breaston (WR)
                7> Justin Medlock (K)

                My strategic emphasis, by the way, is bringing speed to the team while getting the OL rebuilt.

                Comment


                • Here's an article on the possible changes on defense.

                  http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstory/...e.2684617.html

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                    Originally posted by Poet3334
                    Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                    lmao, that doesn't mean any such thing.

                    It could just as easily mean that he is going to start Hatcher instead of Spears, that he is going to start using Bobby as a DE in the nickel, or any number of things. We may see some more even fronts, but don't think that this means we're canning the scheme. Bill is a huge believer in 2-gap - but even more important - lane-based defensive principals. That is never going to change.
                    http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives...rs_e.html#more

                    I don't know why you would be laughing.
                    All I'm laughing at is that you said that Parcells saying "it will be pretty apparent" = more 4-3 looks.

                    I'm not saying we won't try it some, and I'm not really saying that we shouldn't, all I'm saying is that it does not equate. Didn't mean to come across in a mean way, though.
                    No, I get what you mean. I took what Parcells to mean more 4-3 looks, not just in the nickel, but throughout the game. Naw, we're just chatting
                    DMW. It's all good 8)


                    "You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
                    Albert Camus

                    Comment


                    • Offseason to Do List

                      New DC-Sorry Mike I like you but he just doesn't get the 3-4. Zimmer would make a great college head coach somewhere. Word has it that Romeo Crennel might get the boot in Cleveland. He would make a great DC replacement.

                      OL- Dielman and Leonard Davis are both going to be FA but I have a feeling that Dielman will stay in San Diego. Leonard Davis played at Texas and played OG and OT in Arizona. Columbo has done a decent job at RT but Rivera is way past is prime. Davis could replace him and be a monster in the running game.

                      LB- Adalius Thomas is must have. I'm not sure if Baltimore will pay considering they already have a pretty pricey D but their loss will be our gain. Thomas opposite Ware would be a draft come true.

                      DB- Some of you have brought up names like Clements and Hamlin but lets be real. Clements wants to be paid what Bailey makes and the only teams that will give him that much are San Francisco and Tennessee. Hamlin is interesting but more of a Strong Safey than a FS. Ideally I say we just draft someone.

                      WR- TO has dropped alot of passes but its what doesn't show up that has impressed me. TO has shown a great willingness to block for the RB and I heard he broke something in his finger so I say keep him next year.

                      Draft:

                      1. NT Amobi Okoye, 6'1 317lbs, Louisville- Our future NT.

                      2.FS Brandon Meriweather, 6' 195lbs, Miami- The next Ed Reed?

                      3. K Mason Crosby, 6'2 215lbs, Colorado - I've never seen a kicker this good before.

                      4. CB Tarell Brown, 6' 200lbs, Texas- Glenn is getting old.

                      5. OT Brandon Frye, 6'4 302lbs, VaTech- Could play all over the line.

                      6. WR Steve Beaston, 6'1 178lbs, Michigan- For some reason he's slipping but a good Wolverine WR.

                      7. LB Dallas Sartz, 6'5 240lbs, USC- If we can bulk up this USC kid he could be pretty good.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Offseason to Do List

                        Originally posted by boogeydown
                        New DC-Sorry Mike I like you but he just doesn't get the 3-4. Zimmer would make a great college head coach somewhere. Word has it that Romeo Crennel might get the boot in Cleveland. He would make a great DC replacement.

                        OL- Dielman and Leonard Davis are both going to be FA but I have a feeling that Dielman will stay in San Diego. Leonard Davis played at Texas and played OG and OT in Arizona. Columbo has done a decent job at RT but Rivera is way past is prime. Davis could replace him and be a monster in the running game.

                        LB- Adalius Thomas is must have. I'm not sure if Baltimore will pay considering they already have a pretty pricey D but their loss will be our gain. Thomas opposite Ware would be a draft come true.

                        DB- Some of you have brought up names like Clements and Hamlin but lets be real. Clements wants to be paid what Bailey makes and the only teams that will give him that much are San Francisco and Tennessee. Hamlin is interesting but more of a Strong Safey than a FS. Ideally I say we just draft someone.

                        WR- TO has dropped alot of passes but its what doesn't show up that has impressed me. TO has shown a great willingness to block for the RB and I heard he broke something in his finger so I say keep him next year.

                        Draft:

                        1. NT Amobi Okoye, 6'1 317lbs, Louisville- Our future NT.

                        2.FS Brandon Meriweather, 6' 195lbs, Miami- The next Ed Reed?

                        3. K Mason Crosby, 6'2 215lbs, Colorado - I've never seen a kicker this good before.

                        4. CB Tarell Brown, 6' 200lbs, Texas- Glenn is getting old.

                        5. OT Brandon Frye, 6'4 302lbs, VaTech- Could play all over the line.

                        6. WR Steve Beaston, 6'1 178lbs, Michigan- For some reason he's slipping but a good Wolverine WR.

                        7. LB Dallas Sartz, 6'5 240lbs, USC- If we can bulk up this USC kid he could be pretty good.
                        Meriweather, Moore and Breaston are interesting prospects. 1st Round Talent but questions abound over production or attitude.

                        Breaston can return punts -- that I know. I think he is as good as Ginn in that department. Not fast fast but definately quick.

                        Moore is flat out specimen and question is whether the chaos at the U on Offense killed him. I think so. That team has had horrid coaching and O Coorindation for a long time.

                        Meriweather I love cuz he can play Free Safety or Corner in Nickel / Dime.

                        I love all three as value picks in rounds 3-7.

                        Comment


                        • Re: Offseason to Do List

                          Originally posted by cowboysforever
                          Originally posted by boogeydown
                          New DC-Sorry Mike I like you but he just doesn't get the 3-4. Zimmer would make a great college head coach somewhere. Word has it that Romeo Crennel might get the boot in Cleveland. He would make a great DC replacement.

                          OL- Dielman and Leonard Davis are both going to be FA but I have a feeling that Dielman will stay in San Diego. Leonard Davis played at Texas and played OG and OT in Arizona. Columbo has done a decent job at RT but Rivera is way past is prime. Davis could replace him and be a monster in the running game.

                          LB- Adalius Thomas is must have. I'm not sure if Baltimore will pay considering they already have a pretty pricey D but their loss will be our gain. Thomas opposite Ware would be a draft come true.

                          DB- Some of you have brought up names like Clements and Hamlin but lets be real. Clements wants to be paid what Bailey makes and the only teams that will give him that much are San Francisco and Tennessee. Hamlin is interesting but more of a Strong Safey than a FS. Ideally I say we just draft someone.

                          WR- TO has dropped alot of passes but its what doesn't show up that has impressed me. TO has shown a great willingness to block for the RB and I heard he broke something in his finger so I say keep him next year.

                          Draft:

                          1. NT Amobi Okoye, 6'1 317lbs, Louisville- Our future NT.

                          2.FS Brandon Meriweather, 6' 195lbs, Miami- The next Ed Reed?

                          3. K Mason Crosby, 6'2 215lbs, Colorado - I've never seen a kicker this good before.

                          4. CB Tarell Brown, 6' 200lbs, Texas- Glenn is getting old.

                          5. OT Brandon Frye, 6'4 302lbs, VaTech- Could play all over the line.

                          6. WR Steve Beaston, 6'1 178lbs, Michigan- For some reason he's slipping but a good Wolverine WR.

                          7. LB Dallas Sartz, 6'5 240lbs, USC- If we can bulk up this USC kid he could be pretty good.
                          Meriweather, Moore and Breaston are interesting prospects. 1st Round Talent but questions abound over production or attitude.

                          Breaston can return punts -- that I know. I think he is as good as Ginn in that department. Not fast fast but definately quick.

                          Moore is flat out specimen and question is whether the chaos at the U on Offense killed him. I think so. That team has had horrid coaching and O Coorindation for a long time.

                          Meriweather I love cuz he can play Free Safety or Corner in Nickel / Dime.

                          I love all three as value picks in rounds 3-7.
                          Have not seen Crosby but those "thin air" kickers alwasy scare me. Have seen Medlock and I like him. Seems able to kick with pressure and has a good leg.

                          Okoye, last time I sawy Louisville I saw Ray Rice run all over them. At least he is young though. Not sure he is a 1 but people will reach.

                          Tarelle Brown is a good pick. Startz too. Non-superstars on those Premier Programs are usually good choices. Usually as talented physically but have not gotten the pub or coaching support.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Offseason to Do List

                            Originally posted by boogeydown
                            New DC-Sorry Mike I like you but he just doesn't get the 3-4. Zimmer would make a great college head coach somewhere. Word has it that Romeo Crennel might get the boot in Cleveland. He would make a great DC replacement.

                            OL- Dielman and Leonard Davis are both going to be FA but I have a feeling that Dielman will stay in San Diego. Leonard Davis played at Texas and played OG and OT in Arizona. Columbo has done a decent job at RT but Rivera is way past is prime. Davis could replace him and be a monster in the running game.

                            LB- Adalius Thomas is must have. I'm not sure if Baltimore will pay considering they already have a pretty pricey D but their loss will be our gain. Thomas opposite Ware would be a draft come true.

                            DB- Some of you have brought up names like Clements and Hamlin but lets be real. Clements wants to be paid what Bailey makes and the only teams that will give him that much are San Francisco and Tennessee. Hamlin is interesting but more of a Strong Safey than a FS. Ideally I say we just draft someone.

                            WR- TO has dropped alot of passes but its what doesn't show up that has impressed me. TO has shown a great willingness to block for the RB and I heard he broke something in his finger so I say keep him next year.

                            Draft:

                            1. NT Amobi Okoye, 6'1 317lbs, Louisville- Our future NT.

                            2.FS Brandon Meriweather, 6' 195lbs, Miami- The next Ed Reed?

                            3. K Mason Crosby, 6'2 215lbs, Colorado - I've never seen a kicker this good before.

                            4. CB Tarell Brown, 6' 200lbs, Texas- Glenn is getting old.

                            5. OT Brandon Frye, 6'4 302lbs, VaTech- Could play all over the line.

                            6. WR Steve Beaston, 6'1 178lbs, Michigan- For some reason he's slipping but a good Wolverine WR.

                            7. LB Dallas Sartz, 6'5 240lbs, USC- If we can bulk up this USC kid he could be pretty good.
                            Nice post. Welcome aboard.


                            "You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
                            Albert Camus

                            Comment


                            • Leonard Davis at Guard ..... hmmm ... can he move his feet?

                              Last I checked he was 380lbs and consider lazy.

                              Texas guy though.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by cowboysforever
                                Leonard Davis at Guard ..... hmmm ... can he move his feet?

                                Last I checked he was 380lbs and consider lazy.

                                Texas guy though.
                                I like Eric Steinbach with Cincinatti. He's a real mauler.


                                "You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
                                Albert Camus

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information