This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheFinisher View Post
    It's that train of thinking that led us to this magical season.

We won't get to where we want to be without a good ground game on offense.
    Actually, no it's not. I don't even know how you could justify that. I mentioned OL performance was unacceptable. Romo going down proves that. I don't know how you could blame Romo for this "magical season". Give me a better line and I guarantee you see better play out of our RBs too. Add to the fact that our best RB never got the playing time he deserved! I don't know how you can say our season was because of our running game. Every time Choice has gotten the ball, he proved that he was fully capable of making things happen. Next season when he is given more of an opportunity, then that will open your eyes perhaps. Right now, I guess you don't see it.

Kosier is done. Gurode still can't pass protect and he still lacks the intelligence needed for the position. Davis is a slob. ...and Colombo was the worst of them all!

Things need to be revamped on that OL. FA offers a lot. Hopefully we take advantage.

Speaking of things that caused our magical season... the fact that Jerry ignored signing Otogwe because Wade believed in Ball was a critical mistake.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
      Actually, no it's not. I don't even know how you could justify that. I mentioned OL performance was unacceptable. Romo going down proves that. I don't know how you could blame Romo for this "magical season". Give me a better line and I guarantee you see better play out of our RBs too. Add to the fact that our best RB never got the playing time he deserved! I don't know how you can say our season was because of our running game. Every time Choice has gotten the ball, he proved that he was fully capable of making things happen. Next season when he is given more of an opportunity, then that will open your eyes perhaps. Right now, I guess you don't see it.

Kosier is done. Gurode still can't pass protect and he still lacks the intelligence needed for the position. Davis is a slob. ...and Colombo was the worst of them all!

Things need to be revamped on that OL. FA offers a lot. Hopefully we take advantage.

Speaking of things that caused our magical season... the fact that Jerry ignored signing Otogwe because Wade believed in Ball was a critical mistake.
      We got off to a 1-5 start because we couldn't run the football and we were trying to shoulder all of the load on Romo to make up for it. He's not good enough to win big games by himself. We were throwing the football 50 times a game in the beginning of the season and look where that got us! The teams that got away with that and won recently were the Patriots, Colts, and now the Packers because they're QB play was so dominant they couuld lean on them.

No **** things need to be revamped on the OL, my whole argument is we need a good running game to get where we want to be. I'm not blaming Romo for this magical season (which is what you want to allude to) but this season proves more than anything that unless we give him a ground game then we won't win.

After how things went in the first 7 weeks how can you want to go back out on offense and do the same thing next year? Come on dude! Get this guy a ground game and we'll have no trouble on offense, put the load on him and watch us crumble again. Simple as that.

I love Romo just as much as anyone, but to ask him to do what Peyton Manning or Tom Brady do for their team is just unrealistic, he's not on that level.

And with Choice, forgive me if I'm cautious about being willing to hand the reins over to an unproven guy. That's how things like Alan Ball and Troy Hambrick happen.

EDIT: 3.7 YPC on 66 touches, not sure where he blew you away this season?
      Last edited by TheFinisher; 02-07-2011, 03:12 PM.
      Cowboys Mock:
      1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
      2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
      3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

Comment

• Originally posted by CDCB14 View Post
        I disagree, I'm siding with D-Unit on this one.

Romo is fine. He arguably is better than Rodgers and Big Ben with his escapeability, that play he made against the Falcons 2 years ago... come on, man!

Romo is fine, and our RB's are good enough to win a superbowl, its all about the o-line. Dez, Witten, and Miles all could be Ring of honer type players, and Witten is a future HOF'er still in his prime.

We need to stop big plays on the back end, and atleast an average OL.

Therefore D-Unit is spot on with that, and in need of the secondary.

Michael Huff, FTW!
        I don't see where I criticized Romo, all I said was that he needs a ground game to get where we want to be. Saying that he's not Brady or Peyton are far from criticisms.
        Cowboys Mock:

Comment

We got off to a 1-5 start because we couldn't run the football and we were trying to shoulder all of the load on Romo to make up for it. He's not good enough to win big games by himself. We were throwing the football 50 times a game in the beginning of the season and look where that got us! The teams that got away with that and won recently were the Patriots, Colts, and now the Packers because they're QB play was so dominant they couuld lean on them.

No **** things need to be revamped on the OL, my whole argument is we need a good running game to get where we want to be. I'm not blaming Romo for this magical season (which is what you want to allude to) but this season proves more than anything that unless we give him a ground game then we won't win.

After how things went in the first 7 weeks how can you want to go back out on offense and do the same thing next year? Come on dude! Get this guy a ground game and we'll have no trouble on offense, put the load on him and watch us crumble again. Simple as that.

I love Romo just as much as anyone, but to ask him to do what Peyton Manning or Tom Brady do for their team is just unrealistic, he's not on that level.

And with Choice, forgive me if I'm cautious about being willing to hand the reins over to an unproven guy. That's how things like Alan Ball and Troy Hambrick happen.

EDIT: 3.7 YPC on 66 touches, not sure where he blew you away this season?
          With the logic you have on not trusting the guys we develop, then you must not have been a fan of Miles Austin and Doug Free getting a chance to start... and I can't accept that every unproven guy is the next Alan Ball or Troy Hambrick. Why don't you trust Choice? Because he wasn't a 1st round pick?

I hear your cry for a better run game, but the difference is you want an upgrade at RB, like Mark Ingram. I'm saying that our horses are strong enough. The problem lies within the weak play of our OL.

I would tie our losing early in the season to bad OL play and a HC who lost the team's respect.

Better OL, Same RB = Better Running game

Same OL, Better RB = Same Running game

Comment

I don't see where I criticized Romo, all I said was that he needs a ground game to get where we want to be. Saying that he's not Brady or Peyton are far from criticisms.
            Well, you're basically saying that Romo needs to be surrounded by good RBs or he's not gonna win games.

I disagree because we've seen him pass his way to Cowboys victories, absent of good RB play.

Comment

With the logic you have on not trusting the guys we develop, then you must not have been a fan of Miles Austin and Doug Free getting a chance to start... and I can't accept that every unproven guy is the next Alan Ball or Troy Hambrick. Why don't you trust Choice? Because he wasn't a 1st round pick?

I hear your cry for a better run game, but the difference is you want an upgrade at RB, like Mark Ingram. I'm saying that our horses are strong enough. The problem lies within the weak play of our OL.

I would tie our losing early in the season to bad OL play and a HC who lost the team's respect.

Better OL, Same RB = Better Running game

Same OL, Better RB = Same Running game
              I never saw it in Choice and felt he was always a little overrated by us, just never did anything to lead me to believe he could be a lead back. He was a solid 3rd down back for us at times, but I think he lacks vision. As far as Miles and Free go, I was always a Miles fan (I did a PG in Monmouth) but more bc he was a local guy so I had that bias. Free I had no idea what to expect and was scared as hell.

I think we're going to upgrade the OL no matter what we do at the running back position, so you're chart above should look like this:

Better OL, Same RB = Better Running game (although not saying much)

Better OL, Better RB = Most Excellent Running game

I think 2 years from now we're all going to be cursing the Felix pick, that's how poorly I think of him. I really can't stand him, he dances too much and doesn't run down hill.

I am a huge Ingram fan and would LOVE if he came here, we need more guys with that type of heart.
              Cowboys Mock:

Comment

Well, you're basically saying that Romo needs to be surrounded by good RBs or he's not gonna win games.

I disagree because we've seen him pass his way to Cowboys victories, absent of good RB play.
                I want an upgrade over what we currently have.

Exactly how many playoff wins came that way?
                Cowboys Mock:

Comment

I never saw it in Choice and felt he was always a little overrated by us, just never did anything to lead me to believe he could be a lead back. He was a solid 3rd down back for us at times, but I think he lacks vision. As far as Miles and Free go, I was always a Miles fan (I did a PG in Monmouth) but more bc he was a local guy so I had that bias. Free I had no idea what to expect and was scared as hell.

I think we're going to upgrade the OL no matter what we do at the running back position, so you're chart above should look like this:

Better OL, Same RB = Better Running game (although not saying much)

Better OL, Better RB = Most Excellent Running game

I think 2 years from now we're all going to be cursing the Felix pick, that's how poorly I think of him. I really can't stand him, he dances too much and doesn't run down hill.

I am a huge Ingram fan and would LOVE if he came here, we need more guys with that type of heart.
                  The real truth of the matter is that you are a fan of Ingram and thus your words will back up anything to the point that getting him will improve the team. So your views are basically based of a bias opinion on Ingram love.

What you're not looking at is the fact that using a pick on him will reduce the chance we have of improving other weaknesses on the team. I just don't see the significant improvement in upgrading our RBs would bring as much as improving our OL, DL or Secondary would bring using that pick.

You can downplay me saying that a better OL would equal a better running game, but that's the damn truth of the matter. Better OL play would also improve pass protection for Romo as well.

RB is far from the top of our needs list. We need to address Secondary first and foremost, then DL (because it goes hand in hand in improving our secondary), then OL.

RB would be a luxury cost that we can't afford. Once Garrett took over we scored more than enough to win, and we did win. We went 5-3 and in our 3 losses we lost by 3 points or less! We put up offensive scores of 33, 35, 27, 38, 27, 33, 26 and 14 (in a win). Getting Ingram is an unnecessary cost. Our offense still has fire power to score. We MUST address our ability to stop the pass. THAT is first and foremost. ...and that includes improving our pass rush as well as improving our talent in the secondary.

RB is waaaay down the list.

Comment

I want an upgrade over what we currently have.

Exactly how many playoff wins came that way?
                    How do you tie our lack of playoff wins to Romo not having good RBs around him?

Comment

• I hope you guys don't mind me giving my two cents but taking Mark Ingram would be as dumb as the Bills taking CJ Spiller last season...it'd be a luxury pick that your team can't afford to make given their other holes, most notably along the offensive line; Ingram could be the best back ever and if he doesn't have five guys who can block worth a damn then he's going nowhere. And I'm not suggesting that you'll go offensive line in the first round but you'll look to fill the holes in the secondary or maybe add a pass rusher because this draft is loaded with them.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

While I'd love for him to be Brady, I'm glad he isn't Peyton. I want to win in the playoffs..

Comment

• Whoa... Romo can't win without better RBs? Get out of here. Romo can't win if his wide outs drop and tip balls into DBs hands. He had 2 INTs you could credit him with while Austin looked like he was playing volleyball instead of catching the ball. If you want to close your eyes and point to the past fair enough but to blindly drop Romo is unfair.

D-Unit is 100% correct on this. Fix the line giving Romo protection = wins in and of itself. Try covering Miles, Dez, Witten, 3rd WR (Roy/Ogletree/FA/Draftee, and even Felix out of the backfield) for a few more seconds... I'll take that match-up all day. When defenses have to worry about strong pass protection and explosive play-makers all of a sudden we can bring back the draw (arguably our best running play) and PA passing. It's a lot easier for a RB to make plays when we force their safeties to play deep and well off the line.

Felix / Choice / Mid-Late rounder (not a fan of Miller) would easily be enough with an improved o-line.

You know what Ingram brings to a team that can't open holes? A different guy to run into the back of lineman and face-first into untouched linebackers.
                          Originally posted by D-Unit
                          I have no clue what Bortles is all about. Has a funny name though. Sounds like a Pokemon.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock

Comment

How do you tie our lack of playoff wins to Romo not having good RBs around him?
                            No ground game in our playoff losses, and we had to throw the ball 50 times. It's equally on the OLine and Backs.
                            Cowboys Mock:

Comment

No ground game in our playoff losses, and we had to throw the ball 50 times. It's equally on the OLine and Backs.
                              Not sure if I blame the RBs for the number of times Garrett called "pass".

Comment

• Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                                I hope you guys don't mind me giving my two cents but taking Mark Ingram would be as dumb as the Bills taking CJ Spiller last season...it'd be a luxury pick that your team can't afford to make given their other holes, most notably along the offensive line; Ingram could be the best back ever and if he doesn't have five guys who can block worth a damn then he's going nowhere. And I'm not suggesting that you'll go offensive line in the first round but you'll look to fill the holes in the secondary or maybe add a pass rusher because this draft is loaded with them.
                                Noticed your Cam Heyward sig... Haven't been able to fall in love with him myself, but I did hear recently that he's been working out with Demarcus Ware. Ware has been tutoring him and mentoring him throughout this draft process. I wonder if that will have any effect on Heyward having a shot with the Cowboys... I doubt it, but from listening to Ware, it sounds like he would love to play with Heyward.

Why do you like Heyward so much?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information