This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
    Random...but if we cut ties with Roy and let Sam go. James Jones is at the top of my list of potential WR additions. Would be a great fit with Jimmy Robinson in place. He really helped a lot in his development. Granted, he could never get him to perform consistently, though.

I still think it's more likely that we retain Roy, which sucks. And Sam is as good as gone. He wants a larger role, and they wont want to pay him a fair amount, just to be a special teams ace/captain. But if we go fishing for a wideout for whatever reason...James Jones.
    Nah, no interest from me. Would rather see the triple headed monster of Miles Austin, Dez Bryant and Dwayne Harris.

Plus our money has to be used better elsewhere.
    Last edited by D-Unit; 05-06-2011, 08:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
      Random...but if we cut ties with Roy and let Sam go. James Jones is at the top of my list of potential WR additions. Would be a great fit with Jimmy Robinson in place. He really helped a lot in his development. Granted, he could never get him to perform consistently, though.

I still think it's more likely that we retain Roy, which sucks. And Sam is as good as gone. He wants a larger role, and they wont want to pay him a fair amount, just to be a special teams ace/captain. But if we go fishing for a wideout for whatever reason...James Jones.
      Ok, this makes sense. And I hate to say it because I have met Sam Hurd on a couple of occasions. He is a really cool, down to earth guy.

But it honestly never occurred to me that James Jones could be brought in. He is a nice piece of the puzzle. I would take him in a heartbeat over Roy.

A really good point that I had not even thought about.
      I published my first book. Available in ebook or paperback! Check it out!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
        Nah, no interest from me. Would rather see the triple headed monster of Miles Austin, Dez Bryant and Dwayne Harris.

Plus our money has to be used better elsewhere.
        Triple headed monster? Where is the third head? Surely you jest. Cause I know you aren't talking about the 6th round WR we drafted that was a star as ECU!

And when I say "star" I mean the go to guy at ECU. I am not sure he was a star in college.

IMO there is no way that Dwayne Harris could possibly be expected to be better than James Jones. At least not any time soon. And I am not sure that James Jones will get a king's ransom.

Comment

• Originally posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
          Triple headed monster? Where is the third head? Surely you jest. Cause I know you aren't talking about the 6th round WR we drafted that was a star as ECU!

And when I say "star" I mean the go to guy at ECU. I am not sure he was a star in college.

IMO there is no way that Dwayne Harris could possibly be expected to be better than James Jones. At least not any time soon. And I am not sure that James Jones will get a king's ransom.
          Harris in the slot has the makings of a real gem. I don't care about draft slot. Crayton was a 7th and Austin was undrafted.

Spending the money that James Jones wants to collect in FA is just the type of move that would make Jerry a clown to the rest of the league again. Our deficiencies in other areas are severely lacking. Wasting our resources on a top FA WR is simply irresponsible management. It's a joke of an idea. So what if he's better than Roy? Jones is gonna want a place to start. Who's he gonna start over if he's here? Doesn't make sense to me unless we got rid of Austin, and that's dumber than dumb.

Comment

Spending the money that James Jones wants to collect in FA is just the type of move that would make Jerry a clown to the rest of the league again. Our deficiencies in other areas are severely lacking. Wasting our resources on a top FA WR is simply irresponsible management. It's a joke of an idea. So what if he's better than Roy? Jones is gonna want a place to start. Who's he gonna start over if he's here? Doesn't make sense to me unless we got rid of Austin, and that's dumber than dumb.

Yes, yes, and yes. I like James Jones, very solid player, but he won't be cheap by any stretch of the imagination. He could go to a bunch of teams and be 1 of the top 2 WR's. Why would we even think about adding another WR when we need 2 Guards and 2 Safeties plus another CB possibly. It'd be a huge waste of money and make no sense. Has nothing to do with my feelings for him as a player.

We have our 2 stud WR's on the outside, we have a guy who can be our better version of Patrick Crayton and work the middle of the field, we still have Witten. Roy isn't gonna play much himself whether he is here or not.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• As I said before, it only makes sense if you plan on cutting Roy, which I still dont think we'll do. But handing the #3 job to Oggs or Harris isnt the greatest idea, either. Oggs has been a product of the hype machine and Harris was a 6th rounder, with questional ball handling skills. A slot role is a pretty substantial role, I really doubt we'd put those duties on a 6th rounder.

In a perfect world...we cut Roy and just re-sign Hurd, while grooming Harris as well. But I really dont see Sam coming back.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
              KO KNOWS

Comment

• To be honest, I think that an extra receiver just takes more balls away from the other playmakers on the team. Dallas is loaded with playmakers already in Witten, Miles, Felix, and Dez. If Choice sticks around he's always been really good with his time, and Murray is a legitimate big play guy. I didn't want the guy because I don't think they needed him, but he's really good at finding open field. No need to bring in another receiver with a big contract. Just get the ball to Mr. Reliable, Big Play Austin, and Superstar Dez. Throw in some screens with Felix and Murray, and that's enough. Right now the only thing offense needs is OL help. You've got plenty of options in the run and pass game.
                "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

• I guess I should wait to see Harris in a boy's uniform before I say he can't make it as a good slot receiver. But I will have to see it before I believe it.

I would be surprised if James Jones goes anywhere and becomes a #1 receiver. Don't get me wrong, I know he is a good player. I guess I didn't realize that he was going to command so much on the open market when I said what I said, and I had no idea he was expected to be such a prized commodity. I was thinking that his 500 yds/3 td's a year (average) would not put him in the elite class of free agents.

As for the comment that E-man made about OL being the first thing to fix on the offense, I think that is spot on.

Comment

• I know he's just a 6th rounder, but Harris is in a unique situation where he is greatly benefited by a super strong supporting cast. A good QB, great receivers all around and a RB unit that attracts a lot of attention. We're not asking him to put up mind boggling stats. Just help move the chains, and I think he has that kind of capability.

Comment

Honestly, don't remember Garrett being too big on screens... I could be wrong, but I remember yelling at the TV to run a screen on more than 1 occassion. But yea, it's obvious... Tyron is a hoss.
                      I think this was more a product of the fact that he didn't have the OL to run screens. I think as this OL gets younger and more athletic, we will seem more creativity.
                      In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• One thing I want to randomly mention is that Demarco Murray was very much like Jamaal Charles in college. Neither guy is the type to make a lot of jukes in the backfield, but they have good speed and one cut ability. I remember thinking of Murray as a guy with better vision than Charles, but Jamaal had the better speed. I think he ends up being a huge steal. It sucks for my boy Choice, but Murray is a really really good player that only fell to the third because of how running backs are viewed nowadays. Him, Leshoure, and Daniel Thomas would be first rounders if tailback wasn't a position of committee these days.
                        "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                        ~Nigerian Proverb

Comment

• Man this offseason is boring! Stupid lockout. At least the Mavs are in the finals. I just hope they don't get screwed again like in 06. Anyway, I thought it was funny that Dez has been at every team workout except one, and that time he was missing there was some press wondering where he was and if he was becoming a headache. I'll admit too, I didn't like him missing the first workout after missing that meeting with Jerry, but he's been at every workout now and no one says **** because it's positive. I'm glad he's getting time to work with Romo. It's not perfect with the lockout going, but it's something.
                          ~Nigerian Proverb

Comment

I know he's just a 6th rounder, but Harris is in a unique situation where he is greatly benefited by a super strong supporting cast. A good QB, great receivers all around and a RB unit that attracts a lot of attention. We're not asking him to put up mind boggling stats. Just help move the chains, and I think he has that kind of capability.
                            It's funny how we have a different outlook. I think the great receivers all around him contributes to him not making the team. Or if he makes the team, not seeing the field much.

Unless we get rid of a few, I just can't see him doing much. Only one guy at a time can run with the ball. I see too many people on this team that I would rather have the ball over Harris.

Comment

• I think he's a lock to make the team.

The only receivers really set in stone are Miles, Dez, and Roy. Oggs has been horribly sporadic and he's not a coach favorite, anymore. Sam is as good as gone. And then we have a bunch of special teams guys vying for a spot or two.

If we keep five...it's Miles, Dez, Roy, Oggs, and Harris.

We keep 6, tack on one of the ST guys...ala Manny Johnson or Holley.

Harris may not see the field much at all, sure...our 4th and 5th guys rarely do, but he's still making the team. And may be able to be an impactful player down the line.
                              Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 05-27-2011, 04:47 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                              http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                              KO KNOWS

Comment

• ...and I don't think Roy is part of the big picture either.

Eventually our Big 3 could be Dez, Austin with Harris in the slot. He just has to make it happen. No one is really in the way, but he has a nice comfy spot to help ease his transition/development. There's not going to be a lot on his shoulders with the good supporting cast expected to carry the blunt of it. Pressure free situation.. well... as much as you could hope for in the NFL that is.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information