This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
    What makes you say that? They sucked last year and nothing has happened this year. Only more investment in offense. Next year, we'll have a ton of dead money too. I think this has turned out to be one big messed up FA plan. How can we expect one Defensive Coordinator change to fix everything? How???

It'll improve off the sheer fact that the team gave up on Wade, but when I say improved, I'm not talking night and day.

BTW, 1 year, 2.5 would be too much for Elam.

We did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to improve our defense yet. Elam won't save the world either.
    Playing with confidence, playing with aggression, playing with passion, I believe Rob will take this D to a new level. QB will not have time to scan the field like last year, QB will have to worry whos coming unlike last year, QB will see a ton of presnap movement that will add confusion, unlike last year. We do have a few guys who can still play on that side, and Im sure they will be playing with a chip on their shoulder after last year. I say we have a top 10 D...What do you say?

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

What makes you say that? They sucked last year and nothing has happened this year. Only more investment in offense. Next year, we'll have a ton of dead money too. I think this has turned out to be one big messed up FA plan. How can we expect one Defensive Coordinator change to fix everything? How???

It'll improve off the sheer fact that the team gave up on Wade, but when I say improved, I'm not talking night and day.

BTW, 1 year, 2.5 would be too much for Elam.

We did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to improve our defense yet. Elam won't save the world either.
      Didn't the team go from a top defense to complete garbage in one year?

I also think you aren't giving enough credit to how much a good coach can help.

Seriously though, you sound like you are about to jump off a cliff. It is getting a bit old. Can you at least wait till the season starts and see how the team does before posting all the doom and gloom?

Comment

• Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
        Wont matter. When QB DOG KILLER goes down, and he will, "the dream team" will fall flat on their face. Much the way LeFraud did against Dallas :)
        I think Vince could win 10 games with that roster and make-up, even with all the problems he has upstairs. He's better insurance for them then Kolb was, just don't know if he's had time to learn the offense. Only bad thing about signing all these guys is it puts huge pressure to win it all, it'll be funny as **** when they lose in the playoffs, at any point.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crimson79 View Post
          Didn't the team go from a top defense to complete garbage in one year?

I also think you aren't giving enough credit to how much a good coach can help.

Seriously though, you sound like you are about to jump off a cliff. It is getting a bit old. Can you at least wait till the season starts and see how the team does before posting all the doom and gloom?
          I hate to sound like I'm not a fan of Rob Ryan. I love the dude. But expecting him to turn this team around without making improvements in personnel is a tall tall order. The heart and hustle cry is all warm and fuzzy, but the reality is that our competition is fierce... and they have been making a ton of great moves. We can hope to improve, but our GM is not doing our DC any favors.

Comment

I hate to sound like I'm not a fan of Rob Ryan. I love the dude. But expecting him to turn this team around without making improvements in personnel is a tall tall order. The heart and hustle cry is all warm and fuzzy, but the reality is that our competition is fierce... and they have been making a ton of great moves. We can hope to improve, but our GM is not doing our DC any favors.
            So you think this lineup is just garbage?

DE-Spears
            NT-Ratliff
            DE-Olshansky
            OLB-Ware
            OLB-Spencer
            ILB-Lee
            ILB-James
            CB-Jenkins
            S-Elam
            S-Sensy
            CB-Newman

That group isn't a bunch of world beaters, but I think a good defensive coordinator can make a solid defense out of them. The whole team underachieved last season. There is no way you will convince me that those guys all just mysteriously started to suck. It was a coaching issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crimson79 View Post
              So you think this lineup is just garbage?

DE-Spears - 4 more years??? I wanna cry.
              NT-Ratliff - Great player... except when asked to command a double. What's his job again?
              DE-Olshansky - We'll be scouting college 3-4 DE prospects again for a reason.
              OLB-Ware - This defense without Ware would be scary bad. Thankful for this man.
              OLB-Spencer - 1st round investment, 4th round return.
              ILB-Lee - Has he been named starter over Brooking yet?
              ILB-James - Captain Mediocre to the rescue... gah
              CB-Jenkins - Flash in the pan is needing a big bounce back year.
              S-Elam - Alan Ball is garbage. Elam is NYJ garbage. He's still unsigned right?
              S-Sensy - The rest of the NFL gave him a cold shoulder. We identified this position as a top need going into the offseason... Heeeeeee's baaaaack. :P
              CB-Newman - $11M dollar man, doesn't provide 1/3 the value.

That group isn't a bunch of world beaters, but I think a good defensive coordinator can make a solid defense out of them. The whole team underachieved last season. There is no way you will convince me that those guys all just mysteriously started to suck. It was a coaching issue.
              You probably thought that you proved a point about how good they look on paper, huh? Tall task for our hero... Rob Ryan.

Not garbage... not close... but not too good for criticism either.
              Last edited by D-Unit; 08-03-2011, 03:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Go Cowboys View Post
                Here is a look at Drafts since BP left and Jerry took over with Wade/Garrett

2007 (Wade's First year, Jerry's first removed from BP)
                1. Anthony Spencer, OLB, Purdue (Hasn't been what was expected, odds are he will lose his starting job or playing time in a year or two)
                3. James Martean, OT, Boston College (Well.... He got cut....)
                4. Isaiah Stanback, WR, Washington (Another wasted pick... Never saw much time, cut last year.)
                4. Doug Free, OT, Northern Illinois (Might be the steal of the draft or at least is for us. Hats off to whoever lobbied for him to get drafted)
                6. Nick Folk, K, Arizona (Great first year, not so much after... Not with team)
                6. Deon Anderson, FB, UConn (Been hurt a few times, Otherwise was a solid pick before injuries)
                7. Courtney Brown, S, Cal-Poly (Was a project, didn't work out... Not with team)
                7. Alan Ball, S, Illinois (We drafted him as a project, he started last year and struggled badly.)
                So from the 2007 Draft We Ended up with Truly 4 eventual starters...Ball hasn't worked out so far, Anderson is hurt, Spencer underperforms.. So as of this year it will be 2 maybe 1 starter out of the goup... Not a bad draft until Ball failed.

1. Flex Jones, RB, Arkansas (More Flash than productivity but is officially our starter now.)
                1. Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida (Has had great moments and not so great moment, is a starter now also.)
                2. Martellus Bennett, TE, Texas A&M (Well, doesn't start but who expected him to with Witten, is athletic but has many struggles)
                4. Tashard Choice, RB, Georgia Tech (We all want him to get more carries, he wants more carries, might be our "power" back this year with Barber being gone.)
                5. Orlando Scandrick, CB, Boise State (Has had flashes of brilliance but also had moments where no one has any idea what he is thinking)
                6. Erik Walden, DE, Middle Tennessee St (Cut)

Overall, not a horrible draft, 2 guys with star potential, 2-3 solid role players. Pretty good draft and an upgrade from a year before.

1. (Traded for Roy Williams) BUST
                3. Jason Williams, ILB, Western Illinois (Cut, wasted pick)
                3. Robert Brewster, OT, Ball State (Cut, wasted pick)
                4. Stephen McGee, QB, Texas A&M (Well, haven't seen him do much for a 4th round pick.)
                4. Victor Butler, OLB, Oregon State (Showing great progress now might beat out Spencer)
                4. Branden Williams, OLB, Texas Tech (Recovered well from Injury and is progressing well.)
                5. Deangelo Smith, CB/FS, Cincinnati (Cut, Wasted Pick)
                5. Michael Hamlin, FS, Clemson (Cut after injuries, Wasted Pick)
                5. David Buehler, K, USC (Inconsistent at both Kickoffs and Field Goals)
                6. Stephen Hodge, S, TCU (Gut hurt, never worked out)
                6. John Phillips, TE, Virginia (Proven a more reliable receiver than even Martellus Bennett lately)
                7. Mike Mickens, CB, Cincinnati (Cut)
                7. Manuel Johnson, WR, Oklahoma (Not a horrible pick, has bounced around the practice squad and the roster but was beat out by Jesse Holley eventually)

Overall a horrible draft even if you count Roy Williams, the only picks worthwhile are Butler and Branden Williams and maybe Buehler if he fixes things up.

2010 I'm going to say is too soon to say on any of them as it's only been one year.

Overall an average draft, a good draft and a waste of a draft in the first 3 years of Wade Being here and Jerry having full control.
                The Cowboys need a new general manager. But of course i dont think Jerry is going to step aside anytime soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harmonykor View Post
                  The Cowboys need a new general manager. But of course i dont think Jerry is going to step aside anytime soon.
                  Jerry is not the best drafter, but he's not the worst either. I'm fine with him there. I can live with the 2009 drafts if he gives me Dez in 2010. Tyron will be stud one day too. Our core guys have all come through the draft. Besides, we keep having to extend big contracts to our guys getting out of their rookie deals.

That said, I think FA is an area that he completely sucks at. Even when he has dished out big contracts, they have been terrible. Been a long time since he's given out a big deal though (outside of our own extensions). Can't even remember... Keith Brooking, Zach Thomas? Big whoop.

Comment

• nm................

Comment

You probably thought that you proved a point about how good they look on paper, huh? Tall task for our hero... Rob Ryan.

Not garbage... not close... but not too good for criticism either.

Instead of being cute, and trying to be to smart for your own good you should try reading my post. You must have missed the part where I said this group isn't a bunch of world beaters, but they can turn into a solid defense with some good coaching.

Comment

Jerry is not the best drafter, but he's not the worst either. I'm fine with him there. I can live with the 2009 drafts if he gives me Dez in 2010. Tyron will be stud one day too. Our core guys have all come through the draft. Besides, we keep having to extend big contracts to our guys getting out of their rookie deals.

That said, I think FA is an area that he completely sucks at. Even when he has dished out big contracts, they have been terrible. Been a long time since he's given out a big deal though (outside of our own extensions). Can't even remember... Keith Brooking, Zach Thomas? Big whoop.
                        Leonard Davis, Roy Williams, Marion Barber, The S before Sensabagh(totally blanking on his name), Marc Colombo(the second contract).

He's paid Kyle Kosier accordingly. I don't get why with Kyle's success that he hasn't started bringing in more blue chip Lineman rather then giving a truckload of cash to neglected vets.(not that they have been failures in the short term. I doubt anyone was unhappy with Leonard Davis and Marc Colombo in there first few years).

But back to the topic on hand. He's terrible when it comes to handing out contracts. Like you. I don't mind his drafts but he's very questionable when it comes to giving contracts. Which is why we are in the situation we are in.

On the topic of our starting lineup on D.

I don't mind our front three. They don't have to be world beaters who score 30 sacks between the three of them. I'm quite happy with them occupying two people and stopping the run. Yeah we could have upgraded. But it wasn't gonna be that much of an upgrade. And certainly not worth the price.

We are pretty strong at LB. 6 quality guys(imo) going into four spots give us good depth.

Where we suffer and I think we all know this is at Safety. But that was a direct result of a decreasing sack total(and thus more time for QB's.). Look for a significant improvement in that area(regardless of who we have) by virtue of better pressure from Ware/Spencer and Butler. Plus we will be improving at S simply by replacing Alan Ball.

I'm more worried about our Offence to be honest. Outside of Austin and Dez... We have NOTHING. We lost the one guy who was pretty much groomed to be our 3rd(Sam Hurd)... Which means we go into the season playing alot more two TE sets again. YAY(sarcasm)
                        Last edited by shane_man; 08-03-2011, 06:18 AM.

Comment

• D-Unit is being melodramatic. The entire team quit last year. Wade's scheme was figured out by week 4. It was done.
                          I don't think the defense is top 3, lights out...shut down...but to say that it's impossible for them to be a top 10 defense, and just play well throughout the season(injury barring) isn't too far out there. I see them as good enough to win a few games....The offense is where most games are going to be won, and as long as the defense doesn't give up 30 points a game. Lee has been a player in training camp, and if he can come along and spell Brooking/Bradie, and Carter come along through the season, I think it gives us some options. 2 Years ago Wade's D never got run on....ever.(unless the game was on the line..but that's a different story). Last year they couldn't stop a RB from gouging the defense to save their lives...which opened up the pass. I really do think the cowboys D can/will have a decent year.
                          A scheme change can do that....
                          Last edited by FreshBoy!; 08-03-2011, 10:35 AM.

Comment

• Barbie Carpenter signs with the Lions...thank God it wasn't us

Comment

• Check this quote from Bryan Broaddus on Josh Brent's camp so far:

*If Jason Garrett is true to his word and he is going to do everything in his power to get his best 11 on the field at all times, he is going to have to find a place for nose tackle Josh Brent.

Fully understand that the Cowboys have Jay Ratliff and what he brings to the game each week. Ratliff is an offensive coordinator’s nightmare with the way he can create problems for guards. In the Ryan scheme, there is no telling where Ratliff will line up and that makes it even worse on offenses.

In Brent, the Cowboys have a powerful man that is difficult to stop once he gets on the move. His upper body strength and power allows him to get push in the middle in the passing game, but he also has a lateral game in his ability to control blockers and work outside the tackle box and help on the edges.

It didn’t matter who was trying to block Brent, it was met with the same result, a negative play. There is talk of using Brent more on the nose and moving Ratliff to end.

Again in this scheme, Ratliff is going to be moving around plenty. The advantage of having a player like Brent is that he can spell Ratliff the wear and tear that he takes throughout the season.

A fresh Ratliff in the fourth quarter is just what Rob Ryan needs for his defense. As Brent continues to grow, so does the need to find a way for Jason Garrett and his staff to playing him more. That’s a nice problem to have.
                              http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...ng-tyron-smith

Supposedly he's been beasting it up in camp. I don't want to get my hopes up but if he can become that true nose-plug in the middle I think we'll see a big time difference in our run defense. Ratliff has regressed in the run game and it showed last year.
                              Last edited by TheFinisher; 08-03-2011, 12:24 PM.
                              Cowboys Mock:
                              1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
                              2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
                              3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

Comment

• Originally posted by TheFinisher View Post
                                Check this quote from Bryan Broaddus on Josh Brent's camp so far:

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...ng-tyron-smith

Supposedly he's been beasting it up in camp. I don't want to get my hopes up but if he can become that true nose-plug in the middle I think we'll see a big time difference in our run defense. Ratliff has regressed in the run game and it showed last year.
                                Been hearing the exact same from the BtB writers as well as Raf (former BtB writer who always does TC coverage) and from forum posts as well. Seems like we have a heck of a spell guy for base packages :)

@Our Defense comments: If our safeties can provide over the top help and align the D Rob is going to have pressure guys bringing the heat. This is not Wade's double ILB blitz material or pushing Hamlin 40 yards off the line of scrimmage. It is nowhere near a stretch to way we can return to 2009 levels especially considering we'll be much more of a ball-hawk defense as opposed to a bend-but-not-break style. This is not to say we'll be a lights-out defense. We don't need a lights-out defense have you seen the weapons we have on offense? Middle of the road defense with more turnovers puts us in the hunt.
                                Originally posted by D-Unit
                                I have no clue what Bortles is all about. Has a funny name though. Sounds like a Pokemon.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information