X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
    More on our young O-linemen per ESPN Dallas

SAN ANTONIO -- The Cowboys held their Blue-White Scrimmage on Sunday afternoon with a mix of some good and bad.

There were players that stepped up to the challenge that needed to prove to the front office and coaches that their spots on this team are either secure or a maybe a move was needed. Letís start with how the young right side of the offensive line played. Tyron Smith and David Arkin impressed with what they were able to accomplish in the scrimmage.

Smith was matched up against Anthony Spencer and was solid with his ability to get movement in the running game and as a pass protector. The more I get the opportunity to see Smith play live, the more I understand why he was the top-rated tackle in the draft by teams across the league. His ease of movement and patience is impressive.

Usually rookie offensive linemen will struggle with technique, overextend and have problems keeping their balance. Smithís play has improved each day.

Arkin doesnít have the prettiest technique, but he shows the ability to play on his feet and stay after his man. He has an advantage in this scheme over Montrae Holland because Arkin can pull, trap and get on the edge. With him in the lineup, the team is more athletic on the front.
    Good to hear about Smith. I have to say I was extremely animate about not taking him. I'll be more curious to see him up against some of the better DE's in the league.

If Arkin can play solidly in the pre-season games, don't be surprised if he's not starting. JG wants a more athletic line anyway. To get out there on screens and pulling. With Free, Kosier, Arkin and Smith he has some guys that are pretty athletic. Gurode ain't so bad either. I'm fairly optimistic about our line. I think Holland is a solid back-up. I'd like to see another veteran come in as another back-up as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluebonnet78 View Post
      yeah i noticed he was out there, but i remember when the cowboys shredded him when he was forced into action as a Center when Jamaal Jackson went down right before the 2009 playoff game. I can't say i'd want him as anything more than a backup guard, though we already have that in Montrae Holland.

I hear they are trying to move Arkin over to LG now and move Kosier over to the right, which sounds smarter playing him beside two veterans.
      My point exactly, in the three games we beat the Eagles back in '09 we made Cole look like a chump.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
        That actually sounds brilliant. Especially since Arkin projected long term as a LG anyways. You go from a young and very questionable right side to a balanced line where our young guys don't have to learn a new position from what they played in college. Plus, we play them in between the vets. Good good.
        Plus now you don't have two rookies playing on the same side.

Comment

• Somewhat encouraging news from Kosier about the possibility of Arkin starting...

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...rookie-lineman

Comment

• I like Arkin but I'm not buying he's ready to start. We need to sign Brian Waters as a stop-gap.
            Cowboys Mock:
            1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
            2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
            3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

Comment

• Originally posted by TheFinisher View Post
              I like Arkin but I'm not buying he's ready to start. We need to sign Brian Waters as a stop-gap.
              I'd like to sign Trai Essex. I think the fact is that we don't have money to spend. Otherwise, Austin and Ware would not have needed to restructure their deals.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                I'd like to sign Trai Essex. I think the fact is that we don't have money to spend. Otherwise, Austin and Ware would not have needed to restructure their deals.
                I wouldn't doubt if they've got a little wiggle room to sign another player or two as needs arise. it may just be that the team doesn't think there is a huge qualitative difference between Essex, Waters, or L. Davis and what they already have with Holland that would make it worth signing another guard at this point. In a pinch Dallas could probably also move Gurode over to guard and put Costa in at center. Costa has been getting lots of reps in while Gurode has been out.

Comment

• I like Waters because he's from around here and is used to playing in a system where you need quick feet. As a stop gap he would be good. Maybe his experience can rub off on the young guys. One thing I absolutely love is how Tyron Smith is really trying to get better everyday. he's supposedly always working with a coach or with D-Ware. I just love seeing guys with great athleticism not taking their physical gifts for granted. The guy is going to be a big star here.
                  "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                  ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

• Well, now they cant use the excuse of not replacing Holland because of his importance to Tyron Smith. I'd love to bring in a G, but JJ continues to say it's not happening.

As for something else...Dallas Cowboys hard knocks season is on NFL Network now. So much time spent on Todd Lowber and Keon Lattimore. :/ It was a rough camp to watch actually. Miles went down, and then I got all excited for Sam to take that #3 job, and then he went down. I really enjoyed Hard Knocks, but it def. seemed like a distraction. That said, I'd like for them to cover us again one day...after we win a Super Bowl, though. :D

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                    KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by TheFinisher View Post
                      I like Arkin but I'm not buying he's ready to start. We need to sign Brian Waters as a stop-gap.
                      That would make sense.

And what would not ...

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/...-pryor-pro-day
                      Last edited by yanksknicks; 08-09-2011, 04:29 PM.

Comment

• I really thought we lost Danny Mccray for the long term. But I guess it wasnt too serious, he should be back to practice today. Great news for our ST. Even though, you know the kick off team is pretty useless now anyway. There's always punt defense.
                        Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 08-15-2011, 10:15 AM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                        http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                        KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit
                          Yeah Garrett praised him in his Saturday presser. Said he did a good job commanding the line and has been a bulldog out there. There's a lot he needs to do to but he's made good progress.
                          Nice to see the coaching start to value brains for the OL positions. I can see Gurode going the way of the do-do bird soon.

4 smart linemen plus one physical specimen for the left side is all you need to have a great line.

It is all about team work.

Comment

• I rewatched the Broncos pre-season game and really watched Arkin and Costa. I have to say I really felt that they held their own nicely. On our first offensive play, Arkin pancaked some fool. Nice start to his career.

We have the potential of 4 fairly young offensive lineman. Kosier can hold down the fort for a few more years too.

Comment

• Originally posted by yanksknicks View Post
                              Nice to see the coaching start to value brains for the OL positions. I can see Gurode going the way of the do-do bird soon.

4 smart linemen plus one physical specimen for the left side is all you need to have a great line.

It is all about team work.
                              I'm just happy that I don't have to scout college tackles anymore. What a freakin' relief. ... then again.. there are those that project to Guard better in the NFL, so I guess there's no totally getting away from it. lol.

Haven't really heard too much about Bill Nagy. I guess Costa has surpassed him a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by leroyisgod View Post
                                I rewatched the Broncos pre-season game and really watched Arkin and Costa. I have to say I really felt that they held their own nicely. On our first offensive play, Arkin pancaked some fool. Nice start to his career.

We have the potential of 4 fairly young offensive lineman. Kosier can hold down the fort for a few more years too.
                                True, but I did get a nice laugh watching Arkin totally whiff as he lunged for air while trying to hit his man on the screen that was run on Felix's big run.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information